You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fatalimpulse

AL Sovetskaya Rossiya - my honest review, and an in-depth analysis

14 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
59 posts
2,584 battles

So, I bought Rossiya and Littorio on Thursday, and I've clocked in 20 games in Rossiya. Time to give my thoughts. First impressions, by looking at just her stats, is that she's a worse Soyuz. A hull health with B hull maneuverability. Longer turret traverse.  Sounds like a downgrade, right? Let's get into her main gimmick: her dispersion curve. Or, lack of one. For those who don't know, the Russian Battleships have a unique "curve" to their dispersion formula, which starts as the tightest of all battleships at 4km and widens as the distance in meters increases. Because of this curve, the size of the dispersion ellipse of their main guns at ranges past 12-13km is the worst of all battleships (Note that the Kremlin has a moderately tighter dispersion ellipse at its max range according to WoWs FT so consistency may differ tier to tier). Juxtaposing this, they have fantastic shell velocity and penetration, with very flat shell arcs. Why is this important to the Rossiya? Because she does not have that curve to her dispersion. Rossiya has the standard American, British, and German dispersion formula (Range x 10 + 60).  As well as that, she has better Sigma than her sister, sitting at 1.8 as opposed to 1.7. A marginal advantage, but one nonetheless. Now, here's where we get into the fun part. Rossiya gets a standard dispersion ellipse at range, but she keeps the railgun-esqe nature of Soviet 406's. What does this mean? Well, at 16km, those guns beat the penetration of Georgia's 457's, and at 18.7km they beat the pen of Izumo's guns. At the max range you can get her out too, Rossiya's guns maintain the best penetration at T9, beating out a few T10's in penetration.Those guns also maintain the best shell velocity at tier past 10.8km. Rossiya compared to the best T9 BB's in pen and velocity

Usually this wouldn't matter, as the vodka Soyuz's gunners consume causes them to miss most targets at a range of 18km, and she can't even equip the range mod. But on Rossiya, all gunners are put on a strict diet of apple juice with just a bit of gin mixed in, and in my experience landing consistent salvos at those ranges is no problem. Starting to see where the ship excels? The ease of being able to catch a cruiser's broadside before they have enough time to maneuver feels a little unfair. Just too compare, I bought Soyuz again and yup, most shots at max range manage to miss the side of a barn door(or in this case, a stationary broadsiding Montana). So in all, I would say Rossiya is a very comfortable pick. Is she better than Soyuz? I would say that's debatable, as the health and turret traverse nerf are definitely noticeable. But is she strictly worse than Soyuz? Absolutely not. At the end of the day, she has the 3rd best hit points at T9, is mostly immune to HE, has the best ballistics at T9, and is only beat in damage per shell by Iowa by just 250. 

Now let's talk about if you should actually buy her or not. First of all, do you want a high tier RU BB captain trainer? Lenin exists, and is a decent ship. Do you want a credit printer? Georgia exists, and while not strictly as good (in my opinion) she is still very powerful and more importantly; fun. What you are actually getting for the very steep price is a very good ship and a cute commander, as well as the coolest camo in the game(once again, just my opinion) . At the end of the day, in my opinion, if you want to get her, go for it, I don't see a reason not to, but if you don't, unless you're like me and just Oathed Rossiya in AL, I would rather just go play an Iowa. 

Thanks for reading, hopefully I helped you save $83 or helped WG earn another $83. Good luck on the seas captains!

Edited by Fatalimpulse
Made graph more clear
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,445 posts
6,282 battles

hmm so i might have misjudged her,it's a very nice ship then,but then i already have JB and musashi,i need to think thrice before buying a tier9 ship when jb can do almost ANYTHING.

• Cool 1

[CAP]
Members
299 posts
13,965 battles

I've had a few COOP games in her but i have not been impressed by her guns so far.  I have had several salvos at 7-10km range where RNG sent my shells everywhere except where i was aiming.  Bot cruisers broadside to me and I get 2 volleys off and get zero citidels at 7kms.  So far, i'm not seeing impressive gunnery.

• Haha 1

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
967 battles

So it becomes for us who already have Georgia, do we want an Iowa with soviet armor layouts? Interesting, anyone know if they'll actually have any discounts on this bundle? 

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
59 posts
2,584 battles
1 minute ago, Roken1 said:

So it becomes for us who already have Georgia, do we want an Iowa with soviet armor layouts? Interesting, anyone know if they'll actually have any discounts on this bundle? 

Usually collab items come and go and are never added to the armory unfortunately, they usually stay the same price throughout their lifespan, which is a damn shame. 

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
967 battles
8 minutes ago, Fatalimpulse said:

Usually collab items come and go and are never added to the armory unfortunately, they usually stay the same price throughout their lifespan, which is a damn shame. 

Just wished they priced her as much as a standard Tier 9 BB. Also given she uses effectively USN guns, how floaty are these 406mm compared to Iowa's? 

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
59 posts
2,584 battles
30 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

Just wished they priced her as much as a standard Tier 9 BB. Also given she uses effectively USN guns, how floaty are these 406mm compared to Iowa's? 

Not floaty at all. They do do 250 less max damage per shell, but their trajectory is significantly flatter and faster. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,755 posts
22,652 battles
1 hour ago, Jitta77 said:

I've had a few COOP games in her but i have not been impressed by her guns so far.  I have had several salvos at 7-10km range where RNG sent my shells everywhere except where i was aiming.  Bot cruisers broadside to me and I get 2 volleys off and get zero citidels at 7kms.  So far, i'm not seeing impressive gunnery.

Co-op is 90% brawling.  Sovetsky Soyuz is inifinitely much better in that capacity than Sovetskaya Rossiya ever will, due to how the Tech Tree RU BB gunnery behaves in these shorter ranges.  They start landing some salvos with lots of shells hitting.  I'm sure a bunch of DD players found this out in Randoms when the RU BB Line went live and got caught at around 10km or even less, then ate a salvo from the likes of Sinop, S.Soyuz, and above all, Kremlin.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,269 battles
7 hours ago, Fatalimpulse said:

hopefully I helped you save $83 or helped WG earn another $83.

I have 0 sympathy for you OP. You got suckered. 

& yet you still grease the wheel by suggesting some might still buy it.

Talk about hypocrisy.

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,315 posts
22,239 battles

Where's da Russian Bias yo?  This counterfeited-Soyuz needs a significant buff so it could live up to the Russian Bias reputation mah man!

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
59 posts
2,584 battles
31 minutes ago, Antean said:

I have 0 sympathy for you OP. You got suckered. 

& yet you still grease the wheel by suggesting some might still buy it.

Talk about hypocrisy.

I... I liked the ship though?...

I assign value to my purchases through how much enjoyment they can bring me, that's quite literally how entertainment economics works. Unlike most forms of market exchange there is no trade of goods, rather the payment of being allowed to enjoy/experience something. I can understand how the commanders lack value, but to me, the ships don't seem too outrageous so long as I can see myself enjoying their gameplay, and if you read my analysis you'd see that, yes, I am enjoying her gameplay and I believe others will too. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[DST]
Members
54 posts

Thanks for the in depth review. I also like my Rossiya but dislike the camouflage which was lacking in attention to coloring. About your chart, the bottom part is cut off so the color legend of the Rossiya is missing. Also, the color lines are hard to read because some of them are very similar.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
59 posts
2,584 battles
20 minutes ago, Ferrytap said:

Thanks for the in depth review. I also like my Rossiya but dislike the camouflage which was lacking in attention to coloring. About your chart, the bottom part is cut off so the color legend of the Rossiya is missing. Also, the color lines are hard to read because some of them are very similar.

Yeah I just noticed that. Sorry, WoWs FT tends to bug out when there are lots of elements in a single comparison.Will update.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,160 posts
6,107 battles
2 hours ago, Fatalimpulse said:

I... I liked the ship though?...

I assign value to my purchases through how much enjoyment they can bring me, that's quite literally how entertainment economics works. Unlike most forms of market exchange there is no trade of goods, rather the payment of being allowed to enjoy/experience something. I can understand how the commanders lack value, but to me, the ships don't seem too outrageous so long as I can see myself enjoying their gameplay, and if you read my analysis you'd see that, yes, I am enjoying her gameplay and I believe others will too. 

I don't know who's the real hypocrite here. I don't see any issue with ex lsomeone buying the ship, trying her out, and sharing their experience, analysis, and opinion with others. :Smile_smile:

I suppose that a jealousy can go a long way for some bizarre expressions... lol. :Smile_trollface:

You did nothing wrong, OP. And thanks for sharing your thoughts. I, too, like Rossiya quite a bit. Despite her slight inferiority to Soyuz, she's still a Russian BB that can bow tank like a champ, while packing a mean punch... and she makes good credits, thanks to her Premium ship status. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1