You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Finally got my Petropavlovsk, and yeah this ship is kinda ridiculous...

28 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
451 posts
6,965 battles

I've played 6 games in her, and already have gotten a 194k dmg game and have an average damage of 138k, with an average experience of 2900k. The guns and armor are just hilariously strong. In my highest damage game I was able to brawl a full health GK and win easily, I just angled and pummeled 10-20k AP salvo after AP salvo into his broadside. I've citadeled North Carolinas and Thunderers from 16km away, and have just overall been having a blast. It's so much fun but also so disgusting, I love it but I feel like I have to take a shower after every round. 

I'm certainly not pretending that I'm basing my opinion off of some incredibly scientific statistical analysis, I'm just basing it off of my experience. I think that for good players the ship's strengths can make it absurdly strong, but for average players they will have a harder time making use of them. However I would also say that the ship isn't the hardest to play, it isn't like a Minotaur or other squishy cruiser that requires good positioning and awareness to avoid getting deleted, your armor is so tough that you can take very aggressive positions and come out on top.

Oh WG...

• Cool 2
  • Sad 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,591 posts
2,158 battles

Just wait, I’ll bring down the average soon enough. By the time I’m done they’ll have to buff the thing. 

• Funny 7
  • Haha 3

[FML]
Members
3,741 posts
14,880 battles
8 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Just wait, I’ll bring down the average soon enough. By the time I’m done they’ll have to buff the thing. 

I'm with you on this one! :)

[RLGN]
Members
13,777 posts
23,991 battles
5 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I'm with you on this one! :)

Yeah... Blasting one in the face with a 420GkF or Yammy (bots) for pretty much zero damage... Such balanz...

Love nuking them to death with destroyers.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,364 posts
13,810 battles

It also sits lower in the water than Gearing does, making it hard to hit :)  Guess you can do stuff like that when you are making paper ships that don't have to worry about such trivial things as....being able to stay afloat.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,722 posts

I tried Riga, Petro, and Nevsky on PTS over the weekend.  

Not sure why people think they're so special or OP.  They have some major drawbacks; turning circles that are on par with battleships, turret bearings greased with tar and glue, (as Hanger_18 points out) the dispersion at range is rough and the HE is subpar, etc.

When I've seen them on the Live server as targets, they've not been exceptionally or notably difficult to damage or sink.  

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Boring 1

[NKOTD]
Members
927 posts
8,480 battles
38 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I've played 6 games in her, and already have gotten a 194k dmg game and have an average damage of 138k, with an average experience of 2900k. The guns and armor are just hilariously strong. In my highest damage game I was able to brawl a full health GK and win easily, I just angled and pummeled 10-20k AP salvo after AP salvo into his broadside. I've citadeled North Carolinas and Thunderers from 16km away, and have just overall been having a blast. It's so much fun but also so disgusting, I love it but I feel like I have to take a shower after every round. 

I'm certainly not pretending that I'm basing my opinion off of some incredibly scientific statistical analysis, I'm just basing it off of my experience. I think that for good players the ship's strengths can make it absurdly strong, but for average players they will have a harder time making use of them. However I would also say that the ship isn't the hardest to play, it isn't like a Minotaur or other squishy cruiser that requires good positioning and awareness to avoid getting deleted, your armor is so tough that you can take very aggressive positions and come out on top.

Oh WG...

More or less...  kinda like Venezia... you can take chances and often get away with it.  Before I played it, I thought it would be like Staly Jr. but it is not really.  Staly guns are much bigger threat but it is also much much easier to punish for mistakes. 

When I play against it, as long as I know where it is it is an easy spam target (I tend to play spammers), but lose sight of it and I start to worry.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles

I've always found the new RU CA line's performance to be far more about your opponents than anything. If they kite, angle, and/or stay at range, Petro is garbage. If you find a bunch of clowns who let you sit on the map edge and turn broadside to you, you'll rack up the cits. If people know about the icebreaker and a BB just puts a full salvo through your upper bow, Petro's HP pool disappears fast. Or they can throw 5 million potential damage into it and get nothing. Part that always bothers me though is, there's not much the Petro player can do either way, it's on the enemy to make mistakes.

• Thanks 1

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,654 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I tried Riga, Petro, and Nevsky on PTS over the weekend.  

Not sure why people think they're so special or OP.  They have some major drawbacks; turning circles that are on par with battleships, turret bearings greased with tar and glue, etc.

When I've seen them on the Live server as targets, they've not been exceptionally or notably difficult to damage or sink.  

dispersion is garbage on petro, and the HE is also bad.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,547 posts
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I've always found the new RU CA line's performance to be far more about your opponents than anything. If they kite, angle, and/or stay at range, Petro is garbage. If you find a bunch of clowns who let you sit on the map edge and turn broadside to you, you'll rack up the cits. If people know about the icebreaker and a BB just puts a full salvo through your upper bow, Petro's HP pool disappears fast. Or they can throw 5 million potential damage into it and get nothing. Part that always bothers me though is, there's not much the Petro player can do either way, it's on the enemy to make mistakes.

Considering 90% of the player base fits this description, I guess it's a pretty good boat....

Edited by awiggin

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,371 posts
5,280 battles

I love seeing them.

49kjf3.jpg

[TARK]
Members
5,660 posts
2,262 battles
21 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I love seeing them.

49kjf3.jpg

I love seeing ANY russian cruiser in ANY of my CVs...

Cruisers rely a lot on the rudder to dodge air dropped ordinance...and Russian cruisers are SLOW to turn.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles
23 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I love seeing them.

49kjf3.jpg

It's almost like WG  "balanas" their own game releasing Soviet Heavy Cruisers and the immediate counter to soviet heavy crusiers...that can't possibly be planned...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles
9 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

It's almost like WG  "balanas" their own game releasing Soviet Heavy Cruisers and the immediate counter to soviet heavy crusiers...that can't possibly be planned... 

Only in uncoordinated Randoms, at best. Russian cruisers have extremely heavy AA, so in CB situations like last season's, clans just stack 2-3 of them on top of each other and create a zone where it's literally impossible to get a strike through unless you can find some very convenient terrain.

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I feel this way with Riga.  The campy, bow-in playstyle bores me to tears, and it likely reflects in my poor showing with it.  My fault for trying to play these ships dynamically.

Hoping things improve with Petropavlovsk, but it seems to be the exact same kind of ship.

[R-F2]
Members
651 posts
9,572 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

Considering 90% of the player base fits this description, I guess it's a pretty good boat....

It depends. The AP is good at punishing idiots that broadside you at 12 km, but keep in mind that those are idiots. You might not get as many citadels, but the kind of players that park broadside to a Petropavlovsk and let it farm citadels are pretty easy to kill regardless of what ship you're playing.

(unless you're a Riga that thing does 5k damage on broadsides on a 13 second reload rip)

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,371 posts
5,280 battles
4 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Only in uncoordinated Randoms, at best. Russian cruisers have extremely heavy AA, so in CB situations like last season's, clans just stack 2-3 of them on top of each other and create a zone where it's literally impossible to get a strike through unless you can find some very convenient terrain.

Luckily for me I don't play CB!

• Funny 1

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,654 battles
5 hours ago, Roken1 said:

Gearing to counter shima

Kremlin after Henri dominance

monty to counter DM (after initial release at least)

Zao being the counter to yamato

Hindi being a counter to GK

Conq, YueYang and asashio after months of BB dominance

Radar after DD dominance

[PVE]
Members
11,510 posts
22,441 battles
5 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I feel this way with Riga.  The campy, bow-in playstyle bores me to tears, and it likely reflects in my poor showing with it.  My fault for trying to play these ships dynamically.

Hoping things improve with Petropavlovsk, but it seems to be the exact same kind of ship.

I prefer Riga to Petropavlovsk. Petropavlovsk seems a bit overrated/hyped to me. @KilljoyCutter summed it up pretty good I think.

Then again, the mode I play isn't green and red sitting bow to bow in R the whole game or sitting behind island so... :Smile_hiding:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
7 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I'm just basing it off of my experience. I think that for good players the ship's strengths can make it absurdly strong, but for average players they will have a harder time making use of them. However I would also say that the ship isn't the hardest to play, it isn't like a Minotaur or other squishy cruiser that requires good positioning and awareness to avoid getting deleted, your armor is so tough that you can take very aggressive positions and come out on top.

I haven't gotten her yet (nerf inbound, probably), retract the over hyped statements sir.  Give me time to get her before myself and other slow grinders a chance. :cap_old:

[FAE]
Members
2,586 posts
3,435 battles

just wait comrades. soviet cvs with ap rockets HE torpedoes and nukes and radar. 

[TARK]
Members
5,660 posts
2,262 battles
3 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

just wait comrades. soviet cvs with ap rockets HE torpedoes and nukes and radar. 

Nothing quite so dramatic is required...

Tanky planes, a mash up of RN and USN (lots of dive bombs) HE bombers...fewer but harder hitting torpedoes...and AP rockets...

[ANZ4C]
[ANZ4C]
Members
68 posts
6,132 battles

Petro is going to be a monster in randoms. In competitive (clan and maybe ranked) it has no place. If you want a close in island hugger, take a DM or Salem. If you want big, long range alpha hits, Moskva or Stalin. In randoms, OP af. In comp, waste of a ship slot.

[UNNAT]
Members
1,121 posts
5,885 battles
11 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

dispersion is garbage on petro

This simply isn't true. At max range it has similar dispersion to the Japanese super cruisers which is more than good enough. It's poor for a "cruiser" but for a super cruiser, which it has more in common with than a normal CA, it's excellent. And that's at max range with range module, the closer you get the more balanse it is. The HE DPM and fire chance suck but when you have balanse AP with improved angles and fuses it doesn't matter nearly as much.