Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Just Reached 400 Games in Moskva - 40% win rate - 38K Average Damage

16 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
1,229 posts
14,571 battles

I have other great stats too. On Sovetsky Soyuz, 26% win rate at 60 matches, 44K average damage.

Maybe I should just be proud of it and not worry any more about it, there are others that control and win matches.

I'm subpar, I know, but my teams are too. So what ? Its the dish we are served. Lots of blowouts. You can see them coming all the time.

No use being troubled by constant losses. Its a normal thing.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Boring 1

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
392 posts
9,926 battles

So maybe bow tanking boats aren't your thing.

[KRAK]
Members
1,229 posts
14,571 battles
2 minutes ago, contag10n said:

So maybe bow tanking boats aren't your thing.

Bow tank on Moskva is my typical method to help take or defend caps. But, very little damage done that way unfortunately, as my AP bounces plenty off them, and I get set on fire much faster than I can set one, typically, as the data shows. For some reason, I get a lot of 1023 hp damage to them with a forward fired salvo at 10 km (or thereabouts), while they (whoever non DD at T10) return with much more than that. This situation makes the opposer charge ahead, as they can see I'm not a real threat in bow tank standoffs, and they get the cap.

[FML]
Members
3,728 posts
14,850 battles
21 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I have other great stats too. On Sovetsky Soyuz, 26% win rate at 60 matches, 44K average damage.

Maybe I should just be proud of it and not worry any more about it, there are others that control and win matches.

I'm subpar, I know, but my teams are too. So what ? Its the dish we are served. Lots of blowouts. You can see them coming all the time.

So, if you would like to improve there are plenty of people in this community who stand ready to help you.  Feel free to message me in-game if you'd like to division.

Alternatively, once you are confident you know what your ship role is, perhaps you could take some pointers on positioning (copied below)?

Regardless, good luck!

Spoiler

Thoughts on Positioning

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out whether you are on the strong or the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier as it can impact on how you play the particular kind of ship you are in - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer (whether top tier or not), and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team as they are the closest and a high value target.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks is always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Dont ever die for a Capture Point - it is almost always better to fall back (deciding to retreat is always best done really early), stay alive and return to capture the point later than dying where you stand - because the enemy will have now captured the point and got a kill. 
      • There are exceptions to this principle (like holding on just before the end of battle, delaying large numbers of enemy ships by discouraging them from coming around an island and facing your torpedoes at close range, etc).  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
  • Staying alive as long as you can and doing your job well are important contributors to winning, but controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (patricularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
    • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  

Finally, its really important to recognise that losses will happen and to demonstrate resilience when confronted by defeat. 

• In PVP, it is typical for players to lose 50% of their matches. 
  • Losing steaks are deeply frustrating but they really do happen. 
  • Even the very best of players, with vast experience, fully equipped ships and highly trained captains, divisioned up with 2 other players of similar high calibre, still lose over 30% of the time. 

Before rushing into the next battle, think about what you pesonally could have done differently or better to not die as early, or not lose that battle - remember, your error could have been 5 minutes before you actually were sunk.  WoWS is more like a game of chess than a FPS.  

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,627 posts

If/when I find myself playing my Moskva these days, she feels a bit lethargic. Perhaps I have her commander and modules tweaked the wrong way? 

Quite often I would find myself pushing her too far forward too soon. Too aggressive, perhaps I'm too slow to consider all the reds out to sink her, missing a few on my mental map then getting nailed for it? 

She's kinda been power-creeped too, has she not? 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,294 posts
14,494 battles

Sorry about your luck man. UN gave some solid advice. In addition I’d seek for instructional YouTube videos tailored for the Moskva. It’s a very popular ship that is long in the tooth. There should be plenty. Personally I do better with tutorial videos opposed to people who have a stellar game and are flexing. I’m sure there are plenty there. One place I start is go to the World of Warships stats page, drill down into like the top 10 or 20 players for that class. Then go to YouTube and start looking to see if any of those players have instructional videos. That’s the people you want to learn from if they have any content out.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4179539408,Moskva/

In addition I’d check into Lord Zath.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[-K-]
Members
8,162 posts
13,463 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

Do you enjoy playing Moskva?  400 games implies you do.

If you have fun in it, then that's all that really matters.  At the end of the day, this game is just entertainment.

Don't let the stat shamers tell you otherwise.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,229 posts
14,571 battles

I loose a lot with it for sure, and I already know at the start of the match that > 60% of the time, the other side is going to win anyway, so its kind of a baked in thing. Not a good outlook (one could say) but its also easier to accept the upcoming defeat. The 14.1 km detection results in defensive posture ahead of offensive work. Most times when a single ship takes it out, its Yamato. Shells are on its way before saw it.

Moskva is the only way I can afford to play T10 matches, which is why I play it so much. 

Edited by Ericson38

[FML]
Members
3,728 posts
14,850 battles
7 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I loose a lot with it for sure, and I already know at the start of the match that > 60% of the time, the other side is going to win anyway, so its kind of a baked in thing. Not a good outlook (one could say) but its also easier to accept the upcoming defeat. The 14.1 km detection results in defensive posture ahead of offensive work. Most times when a single ship takes it out, its Yamato. Shells are on its way before saw it.

Moskva is the only way I can afford to play T10 matches, which is why I play it so much. 

Actually, you sound like you need LittleWhiteMouse's guide to controlling your winrate - that way, you are less a victim of fate and instead you can take charge of your gameplay.  Hope that helps.  

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,646 posts
5,891 battles
2 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

18 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I'm trying to figure out the reason for your post.  You sound very depressed about it.   Like you say " I should be proud of it"   that means you aren't but that you might want to be.    Do you have the perma camo  for the Moskva, is that why its the only one you can afford to play ?   Personally I'm no good at the Moskva / Stalingrad play style either.    I would take up @UltimateNewbie on his offer if I was you, hes good and likes to play the mid range tiers like you do a lot.  Maybe someone to chat with and boost your spirits a bit is a good idea. 

• Thanks 3

[UEFN]
Members
1,306 posts
22,134 battles

Being a scrub lord has its perks too, you are the meatshield for your teammates and target practice for the red team.  ;-)

[NKOTD]
Members
919 posts
8,430 battles
23 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I'm trying to figure out the reason for your post.  You sound very depressed about it.   Like you say " I should be proud of it"   that means you aren't but that you might want to be.    Do you have the perma camo  for the Moskva, is that why its the only one you can afford to play ?   Personally I'm no good at the Moskva / Stalingrad play style either. 

Everybody now has the permacamo (even the ones who paid for it and got almost nothing out of it).  It appears that he doesn't have any premium ships except the ones given away like Moskva.  His post is obvious, he wants to do better.  That's a good thing, and I wish more players were like that.

I think there is some solid advice above about working on self help.  One other thing you can do is try to div up with other good players and ask them to help you with your positioning and other things like who to engage or when not to fire. 

Moskva is one of the few cruisers I don't really play, but in general high tier high detection cruisers need to be conservative at the start of the match (unless you really know what you are doing).  As the match goes on you can get more aggressive.

Edited by YouSatInGum
coffee not working yet

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,646 posts
5,891 battles
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

Everybody now has the permacamo (even the ones who paid for it and got almost nothing out of it).

Doh!   I should have remembered that. 

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
84 posts
964 battles

I recommend watching a few of the twitch streamers and see just how they go about fighting a match. Sometimes written directions and tactics can only get you so far. Seeing how things come together for someone else in real time often is quite enlightening. Just my 2 cents. Keep on keeping on.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,147 posts
12,009 battles
3 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

To be brutally honest. Those are nowhere near great stats. You don't even average your ships' own HPs in damage caused.

I know this is not a great analogy, but imagine running a business and it costs you $80,900 on a sale of $44,000.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,648 battles
3 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Bow tank on Moskva is my typical method to help take or defend caps. But, very little damage done that way unfortunately, as my AP bounces plenty off them, and I get set on fire much faster than I can set one, typically, as the data shows. For some reason, I get a lot of 1023 hp damage to them with a forward fired salvo at 10 km (or thereabouts), while they (whoever non DD at T10) return with much more than that. This situation makes the opposer charge ahead, as they can see I'm not a real threat in bow tank standoffs, and they get the cap.

It sounds like you are being too aggressive. Moskva is a support ship, you really shouldnt be front and center.

what modules are you running? what captain skills?

Sign in to follow this