You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half

Tips for playing the Saint Louis

9 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
2,660 battles

Hello, I purchased the Saint Louis a while back and found that I did not really enjoy playing it (I was getting citadeled while angled more often than before). I really liked the Charles Martel. Granted, I don't think my playstyle is helping very much since I like to push, which doesn't turn out well in a french crusier. I understand that the Saint Louis is supposed to be a long range he spammer with pretty heavy guns. What ranges would you say the Saint Louis is most effective at? Also, in the instance where you are broadside and a bb launches a volley at you, would it be better to maintain perfect broadside and hope the shells overpen or angle a bit?

[-K-]
Members
8,166 posts
13,463 battles

Flanking and kiting are what it does best.  Using speed boost to juke incoming fire from long range.

Also, if you haven't already done so, get Last Stand on your commander.  Engine and rudder break on French cruisers all the time (until you get to T10).

• Cool 1

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Flanking and kiting are what it does best.  Using speed boost to juke incoming fire from long range.

Also, if you haven't already done so, get Last Stand on your commander.  Engine and rudder break on French cruisers all the time (until you get to T10).

Rudder break's because of showing the backside. LOL

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles

All cruisers should never gamble on an overpen from a battleship by sailing wide.

Angling is best for you and of course use of speed. The further you are away from enemy fire the better. Attack at longest range possible, but either angle in or angle away, which is kiting.

However, a cruiser is best utilized on a flank and uses all available cover to fire on targets of opportunity, then break off when the situation merits it.

The old saying goes that: " it's harder to hit a moving target"  definitely holds true. Always keep moving and angled. Use an island to change course from as you can execute a 180 degree turn from behind an island without getting hit. I call that the bounce out. Once you are out of enemy effective range, you go back in and repeat.

While HE is fun, it's only one aspect of the cruiser. The AP is very effective at close quarters and against a cruiser that is sailing wide. Switching ammo is key and you have to know your opponent ship to know when is the best time to use it.

[-K-]
Members
8,166 posts
13,463 battles
46 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

True.  But it's one of the things (kiting) French cruisers do best.

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

True.  But it's one of the things (kiting) French cruisers do best.

Maybe WG should reinforce the backside so BB spankings are not so painful. For balance. It seems unfair to see a Henri hobble with a busted hip. Not fair. Le spankings, le hurt.

[-K-]
Members
8,166 posts
13,463 battles
19 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Maybe WG should reinforce the backside so BB spankings are not so painful. For balance. It seems unfair to see a Henri hobble with a busted hip. Not fair. Le spankings, le hurt.

Luckily, Henri IV doesn't have the same fragile issues the other cruisers do.  You shouldn't need Last Stand for Henri.

[CVA16]
Members
5,100 posts
15,278 battles
On 7/27/2020 at 5:49 AM, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

And, because of the speed boost, you are probably more likely to take hits on the stern (that the shooter thought were aimed amidships).