Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

HE Shells

17 comments in this topic

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,259 posts
1,766 battles

So this weekend the games I've played have been.......weird. I've noticed players slinging HE all the time. Not in low tiers, mid and high tiers. Battleships, cruisers, and DD's. Just constant HE throwing all around. I can understand doing so in a bunch of cases (cruiser vs BB's, DD's vs BB's, RN ships, etc). But this was literally almost every ship encountered was just throwing HE at short ranges, long ranges, vs head on, vs broadside. It seems very weir because it feels like it fly's in the face of what you would want to do in many situations.

Was there something that happened to HE that makes it more potent and better than straight AP? Is it just a weekend thing?

I'm just trying to figure it out. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,713 posts
3,936 battles

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of players who haven’t figured out that there’s a second option to the default HE. Only reason I have for the stupid number of overmatching BBs that spam HE.

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,259 posts
1,766 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of players who haven’t figured out that there’s a second option to the default HE. Only reason I have for the stupid number of overmatching BBs that spam HE.

You think they'd figure that out by tier 5 let alone 9.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,747 posts
22,646 battles

It's bad play from a bad playerbase.  Consider how bad people are in general in this game, why are you surprised by how stupid they are in a match?

The playerbase has always been bad.

image.thumb.png.2bf620649441be1ab1d3ad9e

They're terrible.

You got guys perpetuating misinformation like "German Battleships are more flamable than any other Battleships out there."

I had to correct a veteran player on this forum that Jean Bart was not any better in resisting Fires than his other French BBs, only tier and whether someone is sailing Stock hull or not mattered.  If someone that has been around here for years spread that misinformation, what other stupid sh*t is going on out there?

Long ago I had the fortunate of watching a DD player with 2k HP left purposely seeking out a near-full HP Cleveland and 3 other red ships, initiating a GUN DUEL, FOR ***** SAKE, A GUN DUEL with a DD at 2k HP, instead of running away and winning by time and score, getting a Solo Warrior award.

I had the opportunity of watching a teammate in his Iowa run the gauntlet, fully broadside, right down the middle of Tears of the Cruisers map to get focused by all the reds and die in a stupid fashion.  Stripping our team of a precious Tier IX Battleship early in a fight.

I had the opportunity of watching something stupid like a Omaha entering a cap guns blazing at the start of the match, thinking he's going to cap it like a DD, only to see him get obliterated in seconds.  -1 ship in the opening minutes.

I had the opportunity of watching one of my godd*mn DDs of my team think he can torpedo rush 3 enemy ships, which included a d*mn Belfast waiting for him.  -1 DD in the opening minutes.

We had people, some of them players and CCs, I respected, perpetuating the stupidity of the "But WG nurfed muh Mizzuri dispersion!"  They were all totally wrong and I was amazed at that some of those good players fell for that.  I remember LWM trying to point out nothing had happened with Missouri.

And bad shell selection?  Bad players do that all the time.  Here's a fantastic example from a game I had in 2018.

rlLvjUT.jpg

"I've repeatedly mentioned that in my earlier posts.  Hell, I ran into a perfect example of it maybe an hour ago.  I'm playing Republique.  Because I didn't want to risk our DD and our Moskva had already eaten 2 torps, and my BB was still in great shape, I push past an island corner showing a lot of sides with an enemy Conqueror in less than 10km.  I knew he was there, he was expecting it, but I do that push confident in my safety.  Why?  Because I knew he'd have HE slotted instead of AP.

He lands a bunch of HE shell hits and sets 2 fires.  I didn't care, it's gunfire that didn't harm my group's Fletcher nor hit our Moskva.  And my BB barely felt it  :Smile_teethhappy:"

Lots of people in this game have very little idea what they're doing.  Bad shell selection is merely one symptom out of many of the Potato-ness of this playerbase.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
435 posts
10,390 battles

There a Event currently running to get was it 10 or 20 fires so that probably why your seeing more HE spam from BBs

Members
3,404 posts
12,336 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Lots of people in this game have very little idea what they're doing. 

Pretty much.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,866 posts
12,501 battles

There's also the mentality that "I'll always do some damage" with HE, where's AP can bounce and do nothing.

Of course, doing some minor damage, and doing meaningful amounts of damage are lost on many players.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,747 posts
22,646 battles

From a BB whine thread where players think it's so hard being a Battleship, you had this gem where a Potato is trying to justify why AP shouldn't be used.  Read his posts there.

On 5/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

When I played Cruisers, I always laughed at the Battleships firing HE.  You're literally taking the easiest, strongest ships in the game and castrating them.

I remember seeing BB players like you... I'd be in my Cruiser and at the last second notice a BB get off a salvo into my flat broadsides.  The shells are coming at me and I'm freaking out, "I'm dead."

But instead of eating a bunch of BB AP Pens, Citadel hits against me, it's just some BB HE shells for minimal damage and some Fires, which I promptly put out.

Instead of deleting me with AP, the Potato BB fired HE at me.

Please keep doing so.  There's going to be many BB and Cruiser players that you could have obliterated with proper Battleship AP use.  Instead you're tickling them for a few HE points of damage and maybe a Fire.  And then the ones with Repair Party heal back all the Fire damage you did.

It's just comedic.

20 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Pretty much.

My contempt for the playerbase in general is pretty extensive.  Seen a lot of stupid sh*t over the years.  I point again to my Republique - Conqueror picture in my prior post.  Could have hammered me REAL GOOD with a practically point blank AP salvo but instead, I eat a bunch of worthless HE shells.  The funny part was I knew it was going to be HE.  Waste of a Battleship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,404 posts
12,336 battles
55 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

My contempt for the playerbase in general is pretty extensive.  Seen a lot of stupid sh*t over the years.  I point again to my Republique - Conqueror picture in my prior post.  Could have hammered me REAL GOOD with a practically point blank AP salvo but instead, I eat a bunch of worthless HE shells.  The funny part was I knew it was going to be HE.  Waste of a Battleship.

I dont really have any contempt for the playerbase. It's just the reality, the playerbase is bad.

12 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

this is not a high intellect game, it's an arcade game.

Basic things like, situational awareness, aiming, and positioning are foundations for good play in any arcade shooter. The majority of the playerbase unfortunately lacks at least 2 outta 3.

You dont even really need high dexterity, apm, twitch reflex in this game. It's one of the easiest shooter games Ive played.

Edited by Rollingonit

[WOLF2]
Members
423 posts
5,069 battles
2 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

I dont really have any contempt for the playerbase. It's just the reality, they playerbase is bad.

Basic things like, situational awareness, aiming, and positioning are foundations for good play in any arcade shooter. The majority of the playerbase unfortunately lacks at least 2 outta 3.

You dont even really need high dexterity, apm, twitch reflex in this game. It's one of the easiest shooter games Ive played.

the average player in this game is a numb nut. 

[CO-OP]
Members
804 posts
21,857 battles

I do agree that a great many players don't know the proper use of ammo selection, but there are cases where HE is better suited ammo, (e.g. prevent overpenetration.)  Firing at armored decks of a CV at range might also be better served with HE.  

Members
32 posts
2,691 battles

I usually stick to AP in my monty, but as stated above, there were events where I needed to set 20 fires in a bb so I loaded HE for 3 games. That being said, I'll sometimes forget to switch from HE from a previous game and will end up cursing at myself when I fire my first volley at a broadside cruiser only to see orange shells come into my periscope view.

Members
3,696 posts
21,986 battles

It's been like this since the British BB line came into the game. Now players think HE is what BBs should use as standard ammo.

[FML]
Members
3,741 posts
14,880 battles
8 hours ago, otakuben said:

So this weekend the games I've played have been.......weird. I've noticed players slinging HE all the time. Not in low tiers, mid and high tiers. Battleships, cruisers, and DD's. Just constant HE throwing all around. I can understand doing so in a bunch of cases (cruiser vs BB's, DD's vs BB's, RN ships, etc). But this was literally almost every ship encountered was just throwing HE at short ranges, long ranges, vs head on, vs broadside. It seems very weir because it feels like it fly's in the face of what you would want to do in many situations.

Was there something that happened to HE that makes it more potent and better than straight AP? Is it just a weekend thing?

Unlike most people in this thread, who think so unhighly of the playerbase, its pretty clear that there is an event on in the form of the Dockyard (and maybe also the German CV event), some stages of which require x number of fires - or worse - x number of fires whilst in a French or USN battleship - and other similar kinds of nutty behaviour in order to get free stuff. 

Dont blame the man, blame the system...

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,688 posts
17,494 battles
14 hours ago, otakuben said:

Shoot California AP at a bow tanking T9 CRUISER and see what you get.

Sign in to follow this