You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
yhtomitcomet

Aircraft Carriers underpowered

82 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,699 posts
14,007 battles

You are not going to get any love from the anti-CV crowd butt they are both under powered and over powered. In the hands of a unicum they are terrors but in the hands of lesser players they struggle.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Members
32 posts
2,692 battles

From my experience playing through the RN CV line, I do not think that CVs are underpowered. In fact, even though I chose to play what most people would consider the weakest CV line I really enjoyed the t6+ CVs. As you progress to higher tier CVs, they become more capable.That being said, I think the t4 hermes was absolutely terrible as well as the t4 langley and hosho. While there is very limited AA at t4, I just don't think playing t4 CVs is fun. 

Ultimately, it'll take time to get good at CVs. Perhaps you could watch a youtube vid on them. I would recommend watching toptier, he has some pretty good CV tutorials. It'll help you get used to the arming times.

Edited by Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half
  • Meh 1

[WOOK3]
Members
4,180 posts
3,208 battles

I would point out ship torpedoes have a minimum arming distance too. Too close and they don't go boom. 

• Cool 1

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
745 posts
1,641 battles

Pro gamer tip 1: use your A and D key to not fly straight into flak

Pro gamer tip 2: dont just fly straight into a huge group of enemy ships try and go for the ships that are on there own

Pro gamer tip 3: never had any issues about torp arming distance and let's not give CV torps high damage again (rts CVs still give my fusou nightmares to this day)

Sincerely,

A random guy on the internet who plays CVs from time to time

Edited by Koogus
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
10 minutes ago, yhtomitcomet said:

Aircraft carriers are extremely underpowered. 

I wish Wargaming would buff carriers and/or nerf AA.

:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy:

Thanks, mate.  I needed a good, hearty laugh today.

• Cool 6

[XXX]
Members
468 posts
815 battles

I honestly think this might be the problem of WoWs having very little ingame tutorials and NONE about CVs, new players to CVs won't know 'avoid flak by speeding up, slowing down, turning left and right' because the game doesn't tell you that. I took someone who was testing out the tier 6 German CV because he complained none of their planes were getting through. Took them into a training match, showed him what I was doing, then took out a tier 6 BB and had them just keep making passes at me until I was dead. Even during the runs on my Warpsite they were like "oh my, wow, my planes aren't dying all the time!"

[TARK]
Members
5,661 posts
2,267 battles
27 minutes ago, yhtomitcomet said:

Aircraft carriers are extremely underpowered. There aircraft are weak in both armor/HP, accuracy, and armament.

The armor of aircraft is non-existent. There health pool is very low as well. Ship AA is easily able to destroy a squadron of fighters before a single attack is launched when multiple ships are together and only one attack can be launched when a ship is by itself. Destroyers are the only reliable target for carriers as they have a low AA defense, but are nimble enough for 90-100% of the attack to miss, and the 10% of the time that if does hit, typical damage is around 700 for rocket attack planes, 900 for dive bombers, and 1000 tor torpedo planes.

For armament I will start with Torpedo planes. Why are carriers the only class of ship with an arming distance on there torpedoes, Destroyers can launch torpedoes onto the deck of another ship and kill them instantly, while CV torpedoes deal 1,400 damage and maybe a flood on a cruiser. The same torpedo on a destroyer of the same tier does 11,733 damage, while the carrier torpedoes do 5,567 (Ranger compared to Farragut) in fact the tier 2 destroyer the Sampson's torpedoes do 5,900 damage stock. The dive bombers do the most damage with 9,200, but there accuracy leaves mush to be desired. From a fully "zoomed in" attack from bow to stern, 2/3 bombs will hit. the 3rd bomb is teleported outside the aiming circle and is dropped in the water, regardless of the circle being inside the ship. rocket attack planes are fast, low HP and are very inaccurate. This is realistic as they are dumb fire rockets. and I have only one complaint at that is the arming timer, why must I wait to fire my rockets?

What are your captain skills?

Which CVs are you using?

Do you know how to dodge flak?

Would you like some help?

• Cool 2

[RAIN]
Members
244 posts
5,998 battles

for those that will disagree with the post please don't ... it isn't worth it

Edited by Skyspartan
  • Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,707 posts
5,281 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are not going to get any love from the anti-CV crowd butt they are both under powered and over powered. In the hands of a unicum they are terrors but in the hands of lesser players they struggle.

Indeed Brush.

Some players claim they take no skill but......they do. New KM CVs even more so.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,442 posts
6,282 battles

well what do we think about the german CVs?underpowered?because they look very limited to me.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,524 posts
11,013 battles

you smell that my fellow forumites? thats what bait smells like

• Boring 1

[XXX]
Members
468 posts
815 battles
11 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

well what do we think about the german CVs?underpowered?because they look very limited to me.

The general consensus is that they're very niche and take a LOT of work to get out of them what the IJN and US CVs come to very easily.

As I've stated numerous times, the IJN and US CVs are great generalist...and there is the problem they're GREAT generalists...which means why on earth would you pick another CV line which has severe limitations on it like the KM or RN CVs?

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,442 posts
6,282 battles
2 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

The general consensus is that they're very niche and take a LOT of work to get out of them what the IJN and US CVs come to very easily.

As I've stated numerous times, the IJN and US CVs are great generalist...and there is the problem they're GREAT generalists...which means why on earth would you pick another CV line which has severe limitations on it like the KM or RN CVs?

but then the problem that i see with KM cvs is that they are bad in their niche too.

the rockets are sub par or bad,depending on the cv you are using.

you need to hit at a very good angle to get citadel damage and if they start moving just a bit,ricochet or shatter everywhere.

the bombs are a literally a pachinko system,overpen,bounce or the rare 2 citadels.

the torps dmg are lackluster and the only sure way to get reliable dmg.

oh and the rockets are useless against 90% of bbs,against a lot of CAs too,leaving the prime targets CLs and thin armored CAs.

Members
1,642 posts

OP no matter what you say it wont matter. The forums are filled with people who I imagine rock back and forth shaking in fear of CVs. They spend most of their waking ours in here telling each other how they should be deleted/nerfed/limited in some sort of way. This place is just an echo chamber for one point of view. Dont waste your time and save yourself some grief. 

• Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[META_]
Members
714 posts
15,163 battles

I mainly post cv and dd videos on my YouTube channel Meta_man2002, check them out and subscribe if they help.... Cvs when played correctly are definitely not underpowered... Non of my tier 8 cvs are under 53% graf zeppelin is 60%...indomitable hovers around 60%

[D33P6]
Members
465 posts
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

I was lucky enough to get the Tier VI KM CV from one the crates.

I only had enough time today to get one match in the CV.  I have been watching a lot of replay's of the KM CV's and played several matches against them.

The experience I got from the one match is that the CV is very lackluster.  The only aircraft that are worth anything are the AP Bombers.  The torpedo planes have fast torpedo's and are very easy to get hits but do insignificant damage.  The AP Bombers are high level bombers and the reticle sits directly underneath the bombers, or maybe behind them, and you have to adjust your view to see the reticle.  It's a minor annoyance.

The AP Rocket planes are near useless.  The only real use I can see out of them is resetting a cap as they are very unreliable.

My opinion is that the Tier VI KM CV is underpowered.  It has very limited DOT potential compared to all other CV's.   I'm not sure about the Tier VIII as I haven't actually played it.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,868 posts
12,501 battles

CV's are both at the same time,

End up in a short match, or against a team that moves as a group well, and you'll struggle.

Long matches, against teams that can't work together if their life depended on it (which against a CV, it does), then a CV can truly abuse the other team.

• Cool 1

[SSLP]
Beta Testers
155 posts
8,827 battles

Funny bait post... 

Not so funny fact that some people actually don't realize bait and are serious... 

Realize now there is absolutely no way the staunch CV crowd (mostly) will ever see reason. 

Sad day... 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
18,191 battles

ROFL

Git gud & dodge

If I that am mediocre player can do good in CVs, this is a troll, no doubt

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
5,239 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, yhtomitcomet said:

Aircraft carriers are extremely underpowered. There aircraft are weak in both armor/HP, accuracy, and armament.

The armor of aircraft is non-existent. There health pool is very low as well. Ship AA is easily able to destroy a squadron of fighters before a single attack is launched when multiple ships are together and only one attack can be launched when a ship is by itself. Destroyers are the only reliable target for carriers as they have a low AA defense, but are nimble enough for 90-100% of the attack to miss, and the 10% of the time that if does hit, typical damage is around 700 for rocket attack planes, 900 for dive bombers, and 1000 tor torpedo planes.

For armament I will start with Torpedo planes. Why are carriers the only class of ship with an arming distance on there torpedoes, Destroyers can launch torpedoes onto the deck of another ship and kill them instantly, while CV torpedoes deal 1,400 damage and maybe a flood on a cruiser. The same torpedo on a destroyer of the same tier does 11,733 damage, while the carrier torpedoes do 5,567 (Ranger compared to Farragut) in fact the tier 2 destroyer the Sampson's torpedoes do 5,900 damage stock. The dive bombers do the most damage with 9,200, but there accuracy leaves mush to be desired. From a fully "zoomed in" attack from bow to stern, 2/3 bombs will hit. the 3rd bomb is teleported outside the aiming circle and is dropped in the water, regardless of the circle being inside the ship. rocket attack planes are fast, low HP and are very inaccurate. This is realistic as they are dumb fire rockets. and I have only one complaint at that is the arming timer, why must I wait to fire my rockets?

1st off... Welcome to the forums :-)

The negative reactions you are getting are from those that have been mercilessly harassed by CVs...& not necessarily by good players even.

Once you get the basics of dodging flak down CVs can be extremely powerful.

Learning which ships to attack w/which plane types helps also...& those options vary per nation sometimes too.

Try divisioning w/some of those that have offered to help.

For the record all ship DDs also have arming times on their torps...& some of those DDs need to put their ship in danger of being fired upon while using their torps...which is a major contention against CVs being underpowered & also the reason for a lot of the negative reactions.

Hope you can figure out how to have fun in them (-: hopefully w/out ruining everybody else's fun...lol :-)

• Meh 2