You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Yandere_Roon

Ok...so why doesn't ranked work like it does in other games?

15 comments in this topic

[XXX]
Members
423 posts
780 battles

Seriously, why doesn't ranked work like in virtually every other multiplayer game. Everyone does 20 placement matches, you're put in leagues (or in this case ranks) and you move up or down a rank depending on how you preform. Just had a CV in my ranked match yolo suicide...dude had a 43% winrate and 12k matches...

Perhaps it's just me, perhaps I'm crap in ranked, I shouldn't be playing a DD but I THOUGHT ranked operated in a similar vein to every other multiplayer 'ranked' matches.

I'm probably just venting because ranked is proving INCREDIBLY frustrating since I thought it would be a break from randoms and work how I initially thought it would...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
758 posts
6,102 battles

What game actually does 20 placement matches? That's like 4-5 hours straight of gameplay for WoWS. 

And I can see two reasons why WoWS does not do this:
1) Simply not enough ranked playerbase for a fully fledged ranked mode
2) To allow for even the average players to hit the highest ranks

Members
1,261 posts
7,142 battles

There are a couple of explanations that spring to mind. 

The first is that the game in general, and Ranked in particular, simply doesn't have enough players for this to work. WG is terrified of long queue times. 

The second is that the entire model of Ranked is basically built around keeping most players caught in a massive churning grind that they have to play an absurd amount of games to progress through and keep the element of randomness in play for average and below average players (maybe this time I'll get the good teammates and can push to a higher rank!). More games played is more queues filled and more money for WG. Theoretically at least. 

Just as a general note however even with these awful teammates there are players skilled enough to rank out relatively quickly and with high win rates. So yes your teammates will suck, but particularly with as few battles as you have focusing on your teammates is not productive. Everyone gets saddled with these people. You can overcome them. Focus on what you can do better each game. 

• Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
423 posts
780 battles
Just now, Rocketpacman said:

There are a couple of explanations that spring to mind. 

The first is that the game in general, and Ranked in particular, simply doesn't have enough players for this to work. WG is terrified of long queue times. 

The second is that the entire model of Ranked is basically built around keeping most players caught in a massive churning grind that they have to play an absurd amount of games to progress through and keep the element of randomness in play for average and below average players (maybe this time I'll get the good teammates and can push to a higher rank!). More games played is more queues filled and more money for WG. Theoretically at least. 

Just as a general note however even with these awful teammates there are players skilled enough to rank out relatively quickly and with high win rates. So yes your teammates will suck, but particularly with as few battles as you have focusing on your teammates is not productive. Everyone gets saddled with these people. You can overcome them. Focus on what you can do better each game. 

I will point out that the 'with as a few battles as you have' that this is merely my NA account, my EU account DrMechano, has been active for much longer with many more battles played.

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
725 posts
1,641 battles

What do you mean? Ranked wows is totally like ranked in any other game......... it's full of people who take the game way to seriously 

• Cool 2

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,258 battles

.... because this is WG?   This is my guess.

[MCGA]
Members
72 posts
9,675 battles
3 hours ago, Koogus said:

What do you mean? Ranked wows is totally like ranked in any other game......... it's full of people who take the game way to seriously 

Or maybe people are playing ranked to "rank out", and your "poor play" affects their experience.

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
725 posts
1,641 battles
26 minutes ago, BoS_Mud said:

Or maybe people are playing ranked to "rank out", and your "poor play" affects their experience.

Dude I have literally played 0 ranked battles and have no plans to change that. 

What I said is clearly a joke making fun of the toxicity in competitive game modes 

Edited by Koogus

[TBW]
Members
9,954 posts
16,768 battles

Because WG doesn't have the imagination, to figure out how, to rank an individual, in a random team format.

[JMMAF]
Members
2,014 posts
6,668 battles
18 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Because WG doesn't have the imagination, to figure out how, to rank an individual, in a random team format.

yes they do, but they won't. 

as an example, you play a couple ranked battles, and the #1 and #2 in those battles are Mass and Alabama. What's going to inspire you to purchase a premium ship more? Easy wins, with great teams, close battles, with evenly matched teams, or piles of slaughter losses and realizing if you're going to rank out, you gotta buy an OP ship to save that star?

we can expect more slaughter losses with MM the way it's always been.

'Working as intended.'

Edited by Spud_butt
i don't know

[O7]
Members
1,464 posts
10,414 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

Dude I have literally played 0 ranked battles and have no plans to change that. 

What I said is clearly a joke making fun of the toxicity in competitive game modes 

you should play ranked and see calling it competitive is comical, its literally just random battles with rewards for winning.

• Cool 3

[OIL-1]
Members
907 posts
7 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

you should play ranked and see calling it competitive is comical, its literally just random battles with rewards for winning.

Yep. And not only do you get prizes, the battles take less time.
Bonus: You actually can have an influence in the outcome because there are fewer players.

I never played ranked in those other games. I saw no benefit.
What, get a high rank to inflate my ego?
My ego is big enough now to get me into trouble. It doesn't need a boost.

Members
1,374 posts
4,450 battles

What people think ranked is: way for competitive players to show who is the best and potentially get better games because of higher skilled players:

What ranked actually is: smaller random battles with more rewards with enough of a carrot at the end that maybe some people will pay to win (buy a premium ships/flags/camo/etc.)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
773 posts
2,984 battles
13 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

What people think ranked is: way for competitive players to show who is the best and potentially get better games because of higher skilled players:

What ranked actually is: smaller random battles with more rewards with enough of a carrot at the end that maybe some people will pay to win (buy a premium ships/flags/camo/etc.)

This. The structure of WoWS isn't conducive to a strong league / ELO system. 

Individual player advantages in true competitive esports are like sports in general. They range from "impressive and can carry almost all the time" to "is unbeatable." WoWS has a much lower skill ceiling and higher RNG than these games; World of Tanks has a higher skill ceiling than WoWS (due to faster pace and mechanics that allow for zero damage sniping) but far more RNG. Neither design is considered legitimate for esport. 

The games that have random teams but rank players credibly are designed for much greater individual impact than WoWS.