Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Bingo

Queen Elizabeth's Bow Armor???

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
103 posts
4,295 battles

Sooo I just repurchased the QE for fun in operations and I was taking a good look at the bow armor profile in the viewer.

image.png.7d1e13c3321a016d22e4432418863677.png

It really looks  weird. It seems that the 104 mm and the 152 mm plating could be some armor belt with the 26 mm over it OR the 104 mm is some random tiny chunk of armor that if RNG favors you, theoretically you can bounce any shell while angled on that tiny 104 mm plating. Can anyone confirm on this weird bow armor configuration?

[WOLF6]
Members
432 posts
3,382 battles

That 26mm portion is actually the front of the torpedo belt.  The plates behind it are 104mm for the front of the armor belt, which transitions to 152 right about the point where your line labeling the 26mm portion is.

Go to this site and click on "Armor Model", then select the different armor levels on the left.  You will see the 102 and 152 sections without the torpedo belt blocking the view.

http://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/vehicles/pbsb106

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
103 posts
4,295 battles

@ZoomieG Wow thanks! I checked it out and found that the 104 mm belt covers a good section of the bow. Man, I tested the armor in Training room and that 104 mm allows you to bounce practically any shell in the game provided that you angle properly.

This is actually quite insane as I managed to bounced Kremlin  AP 90% of the time in the training room. Realistically, QE could hold up decently in her matchmaking as the largest caliber she will ever encounter is 16 inches and we all know that 16 inches can overmatch 27mm and 104 will bounce that. As long as you don't go bow on you can take on any BB with a decent chance of surviving.

[XXX]
Members
439 posts
801 battles
45 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

@ZoomieG Wow thanks! I checked it out and found that the 104 mm belt covers a good section of the bow. Man, I tested the armor in Training room and that 104 mm allows you to bounce practically any shell in the game provided that you angle properly.

This is actually quite insane as I managed to bounced Kremlin  AP 90% of the time in the training room. Realistically, QE could hold up decently in her matchmaking as the largest caliber she will ever encounter is 16 inches and we all know that 16 inches can overmatch 27mm and 104 will bounce that. As long as you don't go bow on you can take on any BB with a decent chance of surviving.

Both the QE and the Warspite are actually much tougher than first impressions would give you. As you've seen, angling slightly, rather than going bow in, against bigger guns means that they're more likely to strike that sort of half icebreaker type deal and the belt armour. Also the QE and Warspite are few of the RN ships to retain their sunken citadel, meaning getting citadel hits on them is pretty damn hard unless it's plunging fire. 

There's a reason my Warspite has a 59% winrate, a PR of 2027 and an average damage of 68k over 67 games, the Warspite and the QE can punch well above their weight, especially if they catch the tier 8s broadside and, with the German BBs, aim for the softer strip of armour on the upper half of the hull instead of the thicker armour closer to the waterline. Nothing quite like seeing a World War 1 veteran BB shave off 11k from the pride of the German Fleet.

It's the case where I'd actually much rather been in a Warspite in a tier 8 game than a Monarch. The Warspite and QEs guns behave outstandingly well with tight groupings compared to the Monarch, 2 tiers higher, who gets 380mm guns but their accuracy is woeful. It's a shame really, would have loved to have seen the tech tree BB line be closer to the QE and Warspite (and later the Vanguard and Thunderer) than what happened to them.

Still hopes for a RN BC split line where they get guns more like the Grand Old Lady and less like the blech that is the Monarch and Lion.

Edited by Yandere_Roon

[INTEL]
Members
12,500 posts
34,729 battles
16 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Both the QE and the Warspite are actually much tougher than first impressions would give you. As you've seen, angling slightly, rather than going bow in, against bigger guns means that they're more likely to strike that sort of half icebreaker type deal and the belt armour.

It seems that very few players know how to do that. I tend to regard Warspites and Queen Elizabeths as food.

Sign in to follow this