You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jphamilton

Why is my CV teammate shooting at me?

10 comments in this topic

[2AA]
Members
2 posts
2,994 battles

My teammate tried to briefly explain in game that a CV will lose a squadron somehow if they don't drop all their ordinance before returning to the CV. That was offered as justification for almost TK-ing me and I called him/her on it in game. Is this just a [edited] excuse for a bad player? If it happens again, I'm going to commit fratricide....

[PN]
Members
109 posts
5,042 battles

I mean it could be that they were pre dropping and somehow didnt realize you were there. In this case yes this a bad player since you do not lose squadrons for not dropping ordinance. You can just press F and all remaining planes will return to the carrier

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,647 battles

Did they actually hit you?

CVs launch a squadron of 9 planes. Thats three attack passes in most cases, not taking into account that you're losing planes to AA. Smart CV players will send one attack group home early (3 planes) cause they know they won't be able to make multiple attack passes. The only way to send those planes back is by attacking open water, that is, intentionally missing early so those planes go home.

A bad player will attempt this not looking at the map and hit an ally.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,713 posts
3,936 battles

Did he hit you, or just come really close? If the latter he was probably just messing with you.

CVs often have a squad drop ordinance and return so they can guarantee having some planes left. This is just him doing that.

If he hit you then he’s either clueless or an A-hope.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,866 posts
12,501 battles

Probably just a careless CV player pre-dropping, which most CV players will do to stretch their reserves further. We're usually more careful, showing up pink doesn't inspire the confidence of your teammates, especially as there's no way to simply stay away from a CV. Very different from having a pink DD, where if he goes to "C", you can go to "A" and hopefully stay clear of whatever calamity got him pink if he goes for a repeat performance.

If a CV has 9 planes with a 3 plane drop, the AA is heavy, and the CV doesn't pre-drop, what will happen is: The CV will attack with 9 planes, losing one or more on the way in, drop with the 3 that go home, lose another plane on the way out, turn around, lose another one or two on the way in, and likely have to drop with one or 2 planes.

Net result, on a good day, 5 weapons dropped, 5 planes back to the ship, 4 planes in the drink. This will eventually deplane the CV of whatever the CV's preferred planes are. Also, the CV will be waiting on planes to return to launch another full squadron of their preferred planes.

If the CV pre-drops the first wave, and attacks with 6 planes, losing one on the way in and taking damage on another, drops with three planes, loses one plane on the way out, and then just grabs another squadron.

Net result of this is, 3 weapons dropped, 7 planes back to the ship, 2 planes in the drink. A CV can do this for a very long time before casualties catch up with him. Also, the planes that dropped early are back at the ship before the attack is over, so the CV player can immediately launch another full squadron of their preferred aircraft to repeat the process, so that's 3 weapons dropped more often.

For CV's with a different number of attacking flights, the idea is the same, but the execution is more complex.

You also will see a CV drop weapons as soon as possible after it's made a pass instead of using the "F" key, as aircraft that make an attack will return to the CV quicker, and are more likely to survive. Aircraft that return via the "F" key will hang out in the AA and get shot to pieces for a bit before they return. That may also have been where your teammate was confused or didn't get the point across.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, IN_GENERAL said:

I mean it could be that they were pre dropping and somehow didnt realize you were there. In this case yes this a bad player since you do not lose squadrons for not dropping ordinance. You can just press F and all remaining planes will return to the carrier

Since 8.1 (or it may have even been a hot patch during 8.0) the F key doesn't immediately send your planes back to the CV...there is a 2 second (I might be wrong about how long & the amount of time may have changed since then) hang time where they keep taking AA damage before returning to the ship.

[PN]
Members
109 posts
5,042 battles

I didnt mean to say they immediately  returned. Apologies for the confusion. Anytime you recall planes there is a delay. all I am saying is that there really isnt a reason he should of dropped on a teammate.

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, jphamilton said:

My teammate tried to briefly explain in game that a CV will lose a squadron somehow if they don't drop all their ordinance before returning to the CV. That was offered as justification for almost TK-ing me and I called him/her on it in game. Is this just a [edited] excuse for a bad player? If it happens again, I'm going to commit fratricide....

1st off...Welcome to the forums :-)

Each CV plane type take time to:

1- Regenerate.

2- Return to ship after "attacking".

If you make an "attack" run (even though you don't have a target) as soon as you launch..those planes will immediately return to the ship to be available by the time you are done w/your 1st attack run.

That saves time waiting for them to regenerate & lessens the chance of them all getting shot down if you run into a heavy AA bubble requiring long regeneration wait times later in the match.

That's all your CV was doing but not being aware of how close he was to you was definitely ALL his bad...but his reasoning for the action itself is valid...even though some prefer to not "predrop" to have more attack runs against their 1st target.

Edit: It is especially considered valid if you are bottom tier in a CV as (example) T10 AA can shred T8 planes pretty quick if you don't know how to dodge flak.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[2AA]
Members
2 posts
2,994 battles

Thanks for the enlightenment; no I wasn't hit but did have to take evasive action (turned into their path before they armed). This particular player did that to me twice, late in that particular game when the only enemy ship left was the other carrier, and I was at the opposite side of the field. I suspect as was suggested he/she was 'messing with me'. Still crappy. I both reported and blacklisted. 

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
891 posts

What’s really fun as a CV is when you have one-or-more pink teammates as the colors start to blend around the halfway point :cap_wander: