You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

We need more WW1 era content

44 comments in this topic

[PRMUS]
Members
842 posts
2,132 battles

Lot less ships in WW2. But WG seems so focused on the higher tiers where there's just so little history left there are ignoring the periods where there's the most unexplored content.

It's frustrating enough that pre dreadnoughts and armored cruisers have been almost entirely ignored but WW1 era ships in general. I'd say like 90% of the unreleased major ships at this point are from the era and yet with every new release it's some upper tiered paper or fantasy design. And this isn't even complaining about that it's complaining about putting that over real ships in a historical game. 

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 7

[PN]
Members
104 posts
4,997 battles

Problem with this is where do you draw the line between history and fun gameplay. id say majority of players tend to stick above tier 5 due to the nature of ships being actually enjoyable. so focusing a ton of energy and resources on ships that will see little play by a majority of players will not really be a prioirty. Dont get me wrong, i hope that well see more historical ships as well, i just think that they will be introduced very slowly. And as you can see with recent events people love fantasy over reality. Heres to being hopeful for more Historical ships! 

Edited by IN_GENERAL
  • Meh 1

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,258 battles

Well, Aristotle, take this up with WG. They could have started WoWS at a slightly earlier date and included pretty much everything from 1890 or so onwards.

For some reason(s)  WoWS did not & it is simply far too late to do so now.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,657 posts
13,997 battles

I don't know about WWI content because that would be in tiers that see CV's particularly the most popular CV tier, tier 4. I think that more pre-Dreadnought content would go over well though and they wouldn't see CV's.

Members
402 posts
3,800 battles
8 minutes ago, IN_GENERAL said:

Problem with this is where do you draw the line between history and fun gameplay. id say majority of players tend to stick above tier 5 due to the nature of ships being actually enjoyable. so focusing a ton of energy and resources on ships that will see little play by a majority of players will not really be a prioirty. Dont get me wrong, i hope that well see more historical ships as well, i just think that they will be introduced very slowly. And as you can see with recent events people love fantasy over reality. Heres to being hopeful for more Historical ships! 

lower tiers are full of interesting ships to play and i would even say the gameplay and balance feels better to.  The reason why most players avoid playing below t5 is becouse all the missions, events and what not are for t5+, the day WG change that and open them to all tiers will be the day more people will go back to lower tiers. 

• Cool 5

[WOOK3]
Members
4,170 posts
3,208 battles

Another problem is clubbing all the baby seals. And I think that's why missions start at T5. 

Members
103 posts
6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Another problem is clubbing all the baby seals. And I think that's why missions start at T5. 

That train left the station years ago. A little late to worry about that now.

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Members
470 posts
16,997 battles

Start a different game?  1890 - 1920 maybe?

• Cool 2

Members
402 posts
3,800 battles
12 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

it has nothing to do with clubbing, If WG actually care about fresh accounts they would put them in a special MM for 200 or 300 battles with other newcomers and then fill the gaps with bots instead of adding restriction to events, The restriction exist only becouse WG wants as many players as posible in the higher tiers not the lower ones, it has nothing to do with newcomers.

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
725 posts
1,641 battles

Would absolutely love to see more ww1 ships in game (also more tier 2 pre-dreadnoughts)

Only issue is that WG and enough people in the wows community seem to be more interest (maybe even only interested) in doing high tier premium ships instead of lower tier ones.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles
50 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

it has nothing to do with clubbing, If WG actually care about fresh accounts they would put them in a special MM for 200 or 300 battles with other newcomers and then fill the gaps with bots instead of adding restriction to events, The restriction exist only becouse WG wants as many players as posible in the higher tiers not the lower ones, it has nothing to do with newcomers.

Guess you missed the upcoming change to just that...protected MM is being changed to 200 games next update.

[SCRUM]
Members
27 posts
501 battles

I think you meant mid tiers(4-6) right? That's where most of the fun WW1 stuff are, I agree we could use some new ships at that tier and maybe some kind of rework on the current ones. WG seems mostly focused on the higher ones given their recent USN BB line announcement.

To the people saying that's seal clubbing, new accounts have protected MM until 200 battles on T1-T4.

Edited by NuclearEmperor

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles

Missions also start at T4 so T4 CVs can practice w/out all the experienced players flooding T4 during missions...which was originally done in RTS days where CV vs CV interaction mattered.

Now it's just the norm so it is what it is.

Most missions would take forever & a day in T3 or lower anyway.

[SEA-7]
Members
127 posts
4,106 battles

T3-5 is super fun. Tier 2 could even be a blast if developed properly. From WG perspective, there’s no $ in it to bother developing ships for it. Then the double CV EVERY G0D D4MN3D GAME really kills the fun factor and whatever real “balance” actually exists there. I’d love to see more ww1 and pre ships. 

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
3,347 posts
3,274 battles
2 hours ago, IN_GENERAL said:

Players stick to tiers 5+ because that's how the game is geared, the game is focused on higher tier gameplay in order to produce revenue. It isn't like players won't play the low tiers, it is low tiers get no attention because there is not much money to get there.

Edited by ArIskandir

[PN]
Members
104 posts
4,997 battles

True, But Given Everything was equal from credit income to missions im sure a majority of players would still prefer higher tiers. Like yeah there are some fun exceptions in low tiers(Kuma, Derzki, Arkansas B, etc) but i just would still find myself playing around the tier 8 mark because ships are just more enjoyable. They are much faster, have much greater firepower and in an arcade game thats kinda what you look for. Not sure, Couldn't say that more people wouldnt go start playing low tiers and again I hope they do add more WW1 era ships, but it wouldn't sway me much in terms of getting me to consistently play low tiers.

Edited by IN_GENERAL

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,156 posts
6,842 battles
3 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Lot less ships in WW2. But WG seems so focused on the higher tiers where there's just so little history left there are ignoring the periods where there's the most unexplored content.

It's frustrating enough that pre dreadnoughts and armored cruisers have been almost entirely ignored but WW1 era ships in general. I'd say like 90% of the unreleased major ships at this point are from the era and yet with every new release it's some upper tiered paper or fantasy design. And this isn't even complaining about that it's complaining about putting that over real ships in a historical game. 

Not to put words in WG's mouth but I think the primary reason for not doing pre dreads was the multitude of gun calibers on a 'battleship'. Most pre dreads had 2 sizes of main guns and then secondaries and that overly complicated WG's gunnery model.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A-O]
Members
914 posts
9,612 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Most missions would take forever & a day in T3 or lower anyway.

There is a way around that!

WG now has missions in dockyard where you can finish one of two options; a change that I like actually.

So why not have a mission with slightly different requirements depending on you using a T3,4 or 5 ship ?

Edited by freggo
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles
13 minutes ago, freggo said:

There is a way around that!

WG now has missions in dockyard where you can finish one of two options; a change that I like actually.

So why not have a mission with slightly different requirements depending on you using a T3,4 or 5 ship ?

That could be viable.

[Y0L0W]
Members
461 posts
15,289 battles

Make Tier 4 great again!

I agree. I'd love to see more lower tier stuff.

• Cool 1

[TRW]
Beta Testers
166 posts
17,822 battles

Well I think wargamming could make some decent money by

Selling RN and German Jutland packs containing a BB, Battlecruiser , heavy cruiser and dd that fought at Jutland ( think of how many diferent packs you could choose from). Then having a battletype called either Jutland or Dreadnought which is a "random" battle without CVs and  dds spotting with limited visability, where ( say varying between 11 and 14km which were conditions similiar to the actual battle and everyone goes for it.

They could even sell a pre upgraded warspite as an example that fought at Jutland.

I would buy both a RN and german pack in a heartbeat if this was available.

• Cool 2

Supertester
91 posts
12,073 battles

Low tier ships are harder to make a profit. Ship models take a lot of time and effort to create, especially for the large ships like BBs. 

From an economical standpoint, why bother with a T4 BB that will sell for $15 when you can invest those same resources into a paper T8 BB that will sell for $50. 

There are definitely people interested in WW1 era ships, but unfortunately I don't think there is enough of a demand to justify the resources. And if WG does dive into the lower tiers, typically it is a cruiser or a DD since their hulls are much easier to model. 

• Cool 1

[UMP]
Members
264 posts
4,651 battles
8 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

If they did that they couldn't pump in fictional Russian ships for that "See? Russia so GOOD, never mind reality!" and the RU server base would lose their minds because apparently their sense of national pride requires fictional greatness and not reality, and real ships do require some basis in history and not "fiction can be fun" and we can't have that, can we?

[O7]
Members
1,464 posts
10,414 battles

earlier ships are generally lower tiers and currently we have bots in random battles because nobody wants to play against cv (lol)  selling low tier ships right now wouldnt be worth the dev time as who wants to buy low tier ships and suffer through cv.

• Boring 1

[WGF]
Members
40 posts
7,833 battles

I wish they would upgrade and uptier my HMS Dreadnought - she is too lovely to be stuck in t3