You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dareios

ranked DD counsel sought

18 comments in this topic

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts

Ok, so I got tired of reacting in the Derpitz for the missions, and decided to go back to DDs.

I will provide a replay of the game just gone (sorry, I dont know how to make it so you can watch a video straight from the forums with no effort), and while this match was won, its was VERY close, so this is not a yay me replay, its asking better DDs then me to weigh in as to whether my decisions were good at the time, risky, or just plain dumb luck that we won. Its the close games (either way) that make you question your own play.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai @Your_SAT_Score @Lord_Zath or another DD main.

(Not, not, NOT a CV vs DD hate train derail thank you, even thought there is in fact a CV and a DD in the game, and I did 'just dodge').

ranked kagero, did I make all the right decisions or was this just dumb luck.wowsreplay

[TBW]
Members
9,984 posts
16,784 battles
6 minutes ago, Dareios said:

I will provide a replay of the game just gone (sorry, I dont know how to make it so you can watch a video straight from the forums with no effort), and while this match was won, its was VERY close, so this is not a yay me replay, its asking better DDs then me to weigh in as to whether my decisions were good at the time, risky, or just plain dumb luck that we won. Its the close games (either way) that make you question your own play.

I think Zath is on Twitch right now.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,266 battles

I simply play whatever ship I have that can be in the current ranked season. I could care less what particular ship is supposed to be the best one for that class.

What if I don't have it? Am I supposed to forgo ranked just cause of what others might say? It doesn't matter anyway.

Since when does ranked offer an enjoyable experience? It's nothing but a crap shoot - emphasis on 'crap'.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
13 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I think Zath is on Twitch right now.

thanks. emailed it to him.

[SIDE]
Members
4,149 posts

Kagero has really good concealment and that super handy torpedo reloader boost. You can do nasty things with it. I think anytime you are in a weak-AA ship, particularly a DD, and don't get spotted and focused by a carrier it's pretty lucky. They are your kryptonite. However, being able to strategize and execute a good game in spite of said kryptonite shows considerable skill.

• Confused 1

[META_]
Members
712 posts
15,146 battles
1 hour ago, Dareios said:

Ok, so I got tired of reacting in the Derpitz for the missions, and decided to go back to DDs.

(Not, not, NOT a CV vs DD hate train derail thank you, even thought there is in fact a CV and a DD in the game, and I did 'just dodge').

ranked kagero, did I make all the right decisions or was this just dumb luck.wowsreplay

Hello Dareios , I make DD videos you can see if you check my profile and play mostly low AA rated dds. Meta_Man2002 is my youtube channel. please subscribe if the videos help you out. I watched your video and can critique. None of us play perfect even the CCs,lol so do not take it as negative. I would say the things I noticed were mostly strategic not player skill based. I would have rather seen you go to the other cap first and let your team grab the first cap, especially after you seen the cossack wasnt at the further cap. Cossack is not an alpha strike DD so your team could have got and kept that cap. After you did cap you seemed indecisive whether to move to north cap or over to the east. You ended up making the right choice, your team did not. you got good torps on the Odin then did well playing around the island with the Bismarck. The problem was your team followed you and gave away the cap.Your CV did well to hold it so long without support. He could have died staying there without support though. He should have moved east when the team moved east. ...You and your CV carried in my eyes. I did not see the xp board but he had 3 kills mid game,you had multiple caps. Between the reds getting 2 caps to your one early your team leaving B after you left let them gain a lead on capping alone. You did fine your team made it close,lol

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,857 posts
20,076 battles

Yup just finished the stream... streaming tomorrow and wednesday replays 2-6pm CST feel free to join :)

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, Dareios said:

I've watched a few @Meta_ManDD runs on the forums here...he is also pretty good in them (his vids mainly concentrate on CV games to show how to stategize against them in DDs while still supporting the team play...so you get tips on both at once) & his critique is also worth paying attention to.

Please note the "also"s to suggest your tagged options are all good choices too :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

Members
1,030 posts

Until and unless proposed changes are made, leave your AA on.  The Kagero has both AA range and minimum air detection of 2.5 km, so the AA guns will not fire until you are already detected and will cease firing at the same point you would go undetected.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
7 hours ago, Dareios said:

Just saw this, I will try to tackle this tomorrow.

If you would like more access to information consider joining my Discord:  https://discord.gg/u4UxD5K

I spend more time there doing replay analysis and answering questions than I do here.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles

IMO you played the ship fine, but the build is very greedy. TRB and no SE in a CV season is asking for trouble.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
18 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

Hello Dareios , I make DD videos you can see if you check my profile and play mostly low AA rated dds. Meta_Man2002 is my youtube channel. please subscribe if the videos help you out. I watched your video and can critique. None of us play perfect even the CCs,lol so do not take it as negative. I would say the things I noticed were mostly strategic not player skill based. I would have rather seen you go to the other cap first and let your team grab the first cap, especially after you seen the cossack wasnt at the further cap. Cossack is not an alpha strike DD so your team could have got and kept that cap. After you did cap you seemed indecisive whether to move to north cap or over to the east. You ended up making the right choice, your team did not. you got good torps on the Odin then did well playing around the island with the Bismarck. The problem was your team followed you and gave away the cap.Your CV did well to hold it so long without support. He could have died staying there without support though. He should have moved east when the team moved east. ...You and your CV carried in my eyes. I did not see the xp board but he had 3 kills mid game,you had multiple caps. Between the reds getting 2 caps to your one early your team leaving B after you left let them gain a lead on capping alone. You did fine your team made it close,lol

Hey man, thanks for taking the time.

you hit the nail on the head with this observation, and indeed was the primary decision I had to make, right or wrong. My snap reasoning on loading in... its a CV game, and it was also likely that 1-2 sonar ships would go to the side cap. The instant it started to flip in the second minute of the game I would have been made. it couldnt have been anyone else from my team. Now, I was thinking, thats a confined cap area, lots of islands, they have a CV, and I dont have smoke... my defence is mobility, and thats what I would have on the south cap... ability to turn off AA, and if buzzed have room to always be turning into rocket planes to minimize aquisition time. As indeed I had to. If I went to C cap, I would probably have lost half my HP to planes, have to bail off the cap anyway, and if unlucky the enemy ships might have tagged me as well or pushed harder through the cap than they might have done so in a 'wait and see what enemy is doing' situation. Additionally, Im first to load in and speed boosted to action... I dont know for sure at the very start whether or not one of my team will be AFK, and another wont move until he loads in or not... and Ive seen way too many games be won or lost over 50 cap points to not value an early points churn... ergo once I was half way to A cap and DID then have some enemy deployment information I thought I should grab the cap points and THEN flex.

not so much indecisive... as I wanted to know if the enemy was playing the positional-wait game, or a 'send 6 ships down the outside of A-B' or 'split push and hold 2 caps to one'. If I saw a bunch running through A-B I could have flooded the gap with 20 torps. However it appeared they were going for a 2-1 BB move on C... and as you saw I thought I could make their push miserable.

Ah, one of the many problems of a DD... yes support please... no, no, not all of you dammit. Additional: yes I was confident I could out-gun a cossack on open water, less so if he is in front of a pack and uses smoke and hydro effectively. This was not a fight I wanted to pick early game.

He did! actually most of the team had pretty good synergy and awareness.

Actually, equal praise goes to the Richy. He was at the back of C and helped out, then immediately followed to B to retake that. I then alerted the remainder of the team as to how close the points would be, and he correctly realised that BOTH the death of the atago and stopping the points bleed of A was vital to the win, and that my positioning was worse than his and would reach A after he could. He was starting to chase the atago outside A cap circle, but I called him to go ONTO it and he immediately responded. The fact that he then got a hero volley on the atago and traded himself for it bought us an extra minute for me to do the sneaky DD stuff. IIRC the leaderboard was Me --> Richy --> Lex  but we were all in the 1900 or so base range so its moot who actually got top honours. GG team.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
13 hours ago, Edgecase said:

IMO you played the ship fine, but the build is very greedy. TRB and no SE in a CV season is asking for trouble.

yeah, not arguing that point mate. :cap_like:

I am experimenting with the low air detect vs smoke and whether the extra torps vs potential survivability is worth it. I suspect youre right. I dont have premium T8 DDs so for me it was pretty much a choice of Kag or Aki... and If Im DDing Id rather be out there making the plays then farming damage as a CL wannabe.

All my good captains are on shima, gumo, kitty etc... only 11pts on kag and few CXP left... that RPF would sure help.

[OO7]
Members
429 posts
26,274 battles
21 hours ago, Dareios said:

Kagero is a very weak and unreliable pick in ranked. This is especially true if there's cv's in the game. Running trb in general is a big no-no. The Kagero is very slow and has trouble breaking contact with other dd's, so you need to run smoke. Also, if a cv wants to strike you until you die, there's nothing you can do that wouldn't make you effectively useless.  Of the tech tree ships, akizuki would be the hands down best pick. It has the actual dpm (base 30mm pen) to make most cruisers cry, utility in spotting and still reasonable detect to trade with dd's. I would suggest not going alone unless it is required and try to back up the more stealthy dd's on your team. 

Edited by eagle_lance

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles
17 minutes ago, Dareios said:

I am experimenting with the low air detect vs smoke

Low air detect and turning into planes before they spot you help a lot (which you did correctly). The real problem is that you can only stop one pass this way against a competent CV, because he'll drop fighters on top of you as he flies overhead, and then you're visible for the subsequent pass because Kag just can't shoot down the fighters fast enough. I don't believe there's any way to prevent this in Kag, tbh, and so the smokes are sort of a forced concession in CV modes.

[META_]
Members
712 posts
15,146 battles
28 minutes ago, Dareios said:

Hey man, thanks for taking the time.

you hit the nail on the head with this observation, and indeed was the primary decision I had to make, right or wrong. My snap reasoning on loading in... its a CV game, and it was also likely that 1-2 sonar ships would go to the side cap. The instant it started to flip in the second minute of the game I would have been made. it couldnt have been anyone else from my team. Now, I was thinking, thats a confined cap area, lots of islands, they have a CV, and I dont have smoke... my defence is mobility, and thats what I would have on the south cap... ability to turn off AA, and if buzzed have room to always be turning into rocket planes to minimize aquisition time. As indeed I had to. If I went to C cap, I would probably have lost half my HP to planes, have to bail off the cap anyway, and if unlucky the enemy ships might have tagged me as well or pushed harder through the cap than they might have done so in a 'wait and see what enemy is doing' situation. Additionally, Im first to load in and speed boosted to action... I dont know for sure at the very start whether or not one of my team will be AFK, and another wont move until he loads in or not... and Ive seen way too many games be won or lost over 50 cap points to not value an early points churn... ergo once I was half way to A cap and DID then have some enemy deployment information I thought I should grab the cap points and THEN flex.

not so much indecisive... as I wanted to know if the enemy was playing the positional-wait game, or a 'send 6 ships down the outside of A-B' or 'split push and hold 2 caps to one'. If I saw a bunch running through A-B I could have flooded the gap with 20 torps. However it appeared they were going for a 2-1 BB move on C... and as you saw I thought I could make their push miserable.

Ah, one of the many problems of a DD... yes support please... no, no, not all of you dammit. Additional: yes I was confident I could out-gun a cossack on open water, less so if he is in front of a pack and uses smoke and hydro effectively. This was not a fight I wanted to pick early game.

He did! actually most of the team had pretty good synergy and awareness.

Actually, equal praise goes to the Richy. He was at the back of C and helped out, then immediately followed to B to retake that. I then alerted the remainder of the team as to how close the points would be, and he correctly realised that BOTH the death of the atago and stopping the points bleed of A was vital to the win, and that my positioning was worse than his and would reach A after he could. He was starting to chase the atago outside A cap circle, but I called him to go ONTO it and he immediately responded. The fact that he then got a hero volley on the atago and traded himself for it bought us an extra minute for me to do the sneaky DD stuff. IIRC the leaderboard was Me --> Richy --> Lex  but we were all in the 1900 or so base range so its moot who actually got top honours. GG team.

You brought up a couple points, first I don't use my speed burst at first in a cv match.. Save it till you see where the planes are.... Plane wise I stay close to my team at first till I see the planes... I would have went east first like I said but would have stayed right a couple km in front of the BB on that side to be in his AA bubble.... You had a good game, check out my videos if you get a chance... I'm putting up another Le Terrible game today...... 

• Cool 1