Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ferrytap

Buying the AL Yukikaze?

15 comments in this topic

[DST]
Members
42 posts

I am currently in my T7 akatsuki and is able to upgrade to the T8 Kagero. Comparing to the T8 Kagero, is it worth it to buy Yukikaze for $64?

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,393 posts
6,232 battles

honestly,if the game was selling hsf harekaze,i would recommend you to get harekaze,any tier8 ijn dd that came after this ship feels like a downgrade.

i heard yukikaze use different torpedoes from kagero,different playstyle. i suggest you to get kagero and get a taste of tier8 dd facing tier10 and 9 ,then you can ask yourself if its worth to buy a tier8 ship.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,258 battles

I advise you not to spend money, OP.  This is my personal opinion. As if I could stop anyone from being a sucker for Lollipops from WG. Your choice to lick (or not).

• Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
18,811 posts
13,107 battles
23 minutes ago, Ferrytap said:

I am currently in my T7 akatsuki and is able to upgrade to the T8 Kagero. Comparing to the T8 Kagero, is it worth it to buy Yukikaze for $64?

I bought her just a couple of days ago, BUT...

1) I have been in the Kagero and the HSF Harekaze for some time, and I have a good handle on how to drive them.

2) The Yukikaze is a demanding ship that requires much more skill than the Kagero to play.

If I were you, I would let the Yukikaze go this time around and save my money. Wait to see if they bring the Harekaze back and get her instead if they do.

Get the Kagero, play her some, get some experience at Tier 8 in IJN DD; it's a very different world.

• Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
5,861 posts

The torps are strong and fast....but at only 8km and possible Tier X gameplay! That is laughable now we're getting more 12km radar ships, let alone the other 10km radar ships already in the game. I don't even think her guns reach 12km and because they're 127mm, they have 26mm at best with IFHE (where the Harekaze gets 100mm guns (with IFHE pens 37mm)).

I'm with @Cruxdei on this. It could be such a nice ship but because of the way it is configured I look at it as another Asashio, it is great if you happen to be in matches that favour it - If not, I can see the only real enjoyment being the Harekaze Captain and her 'Superior than thou' laugh. :Smile_Default:

At least the Asashio can keep her distance - with short range guns and torps I can see the Yukikaze being a world of frustration unless in the hands of a very good player.

Just my opinion. :Smile_honoring:

[NSC]
Supertester
2,319 posts
30 minutes ago, Ferrytap said:

The thing with AL Yukikaze (and HSF Harekaze that @Ensign_Cthulhu recommends), is that they are both collaboration ships. There's no way of knowing when or if they will return.

Yukikaze definitely has a different playstyle from Kagero because of her 8 km torpedoes. You can read @LittleWhiteMouse's review to see if she would be a fit for you (or watch videos): https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/191668-premium-ship-review-125-azur-lane-yukikaze/

Personally, though I don't have Yukikaze or Harekaze, I also find Harekaze much more appealing due to her 3 hull options.

[AZUR1]
Members
45 posts
2,202 battles

If you like Azurlane, it's good to buy her. Her has a better looking camo.

On the other hand, her trop is short with only 8 KM, but a high speed of 76 Knots. (same type of Trop F3 in T9 IJNDD)

Concelment is like 5.4km after upgrate

Edited by Lancelot0001

[PVE]
Members
3,943 posts
16,795 battles
47 minutes ago, Ferrytap said:

As an IJN Main, I've a bunch of games in the Kagero....  Honestly, I'd stick to the tech tree ships to begin with.  Premium ships are nice because there isn't a cost to switch 19 point Commanders around....  But, other than that, I don't see any massive reason to spend that money.  The Kagero is a 5.4 detect screening DD of good reputation in WW2.   Play her as a screen DD and there is a lot you can do with her torpedoes.  The other boats listed are good, but, why spend the money on DD's that  are "just OK...."   The Yugumo is mostly like the Kagero as well......   The Aki and the gun boat line are another mater.  They all work and I'd save the cash for "something else"........

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
57 posts
2,540 battles

I love my Yukikaze, but I have to admit she is a very hard to play DD. She has F3 torps at T8, which is insane, but they only have 8km. They have a decent reload. Her hull has poor maneuverability for a DD, and you absolutely have to leverage her 5.4km lowest concealment and smokes to get yourself into and out of good torping positions.Very high skill floor ship.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,103 posts
6,092 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

The thing with AL Yukikaze (and HSF Harekaze that @Ensign_Cthulhu recommends), is that they are both collaboration ships. There's no way of knowing when or if they will return.

^ This.

I find it hilarious that some people are recommending Harekaze instead, because she isn't even available right now. She's also a collab ship, and will not ever come back to the shop, without another HSF collab.

As for Yukikaze... be careful, OP, because the collab stuffs tend not to show up again for a long time, after the collab is over. Heck, there may even be a chance that it may never come back again... though this is Azur Lane related, so for this specific case, I think the ship will return. But then the question is... when? Therefore, if you miss it now, you'll gonna have to wait pretty long time for a next chance to get the ship.

On the other hand... are you willing to stomach her demanding play style? Others have already talked in details about it, so I won't repeat a same tune... but I hope you truly understand what you're getting into, before you make the call.

TBH, I can't answer the question for you, since it's your money, and your free time. You gotta make your own call.

• Boring 1

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
40 posts
7,006 battles

Not sure how long it would take you to get to Yugamo but that ship has F3s.

If you can get through Kagero and then some F3 games with Yugamo then you'll know what Yukikaze is all about.

This time last year I ignored Yukikaze due to bad reviews about the short torps. Since then I've been a main in IJN DDs and watched youtube vids about it, I couldnt wait for it to come back in store.

It's a knife edge torp boat but the F3 torps hit like a truck!

I recommend to have a look at Destroyer Kuro's Yakikaze videos on youtube, they go in good depth about the ship. Its a challenging ship that offers a different playstyle to the other T8 Kagero DDs.

Edited by WellyCoaster

[WOOK3]
Members
4,168 posts
3,208 battles

In a world of 12 km radar, 8 km torpedoes are rough.

I think the Harekaze is a better DD (think Kagerou with Akizuki guns), but who knows if it will ever return. But the same is to be said of the Yukikaze. 

I will make this prediction, these are not the last lollibotes we will see in the game. 

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
40 posts
7,006 battles

On a side note I saw an Arashi last night.

A new Kagero class DD in testing that has hydro

[XXX]
Members
421 posts
780 battles
10 minutes ago, WellyCoaster said:

On a side note I saw an Arashi last night.

A new Kagero class DD in testing that has hydro

Yes but it only has 3x150mm guns...oof...however it doesn't suffer the problem of the Yukikaze as she gets upgraded Kagero torps, not the stock ones (HSF Harekaze with the 100mm guns) or 8km suicide torps.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,811 posts
13,107 battles
17 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I find it hilarious that some people are recommending Harekaze instead, because she isn't even available right now. She's also a collab ship, and will not ever come back to the shop, without another HSF collab.

In my defence, I did use the word IF.

What I am trying to do is to have the OP not spend their money on something that may put them in way beyond their depth (with subsequent dissatisfaction).

If Harekaze comes back at all, this year or ever, OP will hopefully have had some time in the Kagero and have an idea of how to handle her HSF cousin. Despite only having the stock Kag torpedoes, Harekaze is streets ahead in terms of gunnery and IMHO constitutes a more forgiving ship to play, little worse in terms of dealing out damage but much more capable of defending herself in DD vs. DD duels that she can't get out of.

In addition, Yukikaze lacks the option for torpedo reload booster at the expense of smokescreens, while Harekaze retains this option and thus commonality of playstyle with Kagero, Yugumo and Shiratsuyu, any of whose captains she can accept without issues.

Yukikaze cannot accept any commander with Torpedo Acceleration without her torps becoming suicidally short-ranged for anything but co-op or madcap Random Battles dares. She has neither the rapidity of fire nor the hydroacoustic search consumable nor the rapid-cycling smoke to get her out of trouble after the fashion of Z-35. 

IMHO if Harekaze comes back, she is the better buy. If OP is well-off enough to afford both and wants the security of not missing out on the Yuki, go for it... but I would confine the Yuki to co-op at first until I had a better idea of how to play her. I wish WG wouldn't put these time-gated bonus XP missions on some ships; in a case like this, it really is apprpriate to set her aside for a while - but that while would eat through the mission time.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Sign in to follow this