You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

Steel question

26 comments in this topic

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
264 posts
7,947 battles

I've nearly enough steel for the Bourgogne.   I have the Stalingrad, not particularly interested in the other two steel ships.

Is there any indication as to what and when the next steel ship will become available?

Thanks in advance.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,323 posts
14,544 battles

I would love to have the Bourgogne. That is my next steel ship hopefully. I have a feeling it will be a toss up for steel or research points for the FDR and the still in testing Russian T10 DD.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,323 posts
14,544 battles

To my knowledge the FDR has been one of the longest in testing ships I can remember.

[EQRN]
Members
1,934 posts
16,254 battles
31 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

To my knowledge the FDR has been one of the longest in testing ships I can remember.

@LittleWhiteMouse would know for certain the record holder, T-61 must have been it for awhile, but I think that T5 or 6 Italian DD must be close to longest.

[-1]
Members
585 posts
9,113 battles
59 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

I've nearly enough steel for the Bourgogne.   I have the Stalingrad, not particularly interested in the other two steel ships.

Is there any indication as to what and when the next steel ship will become available?

Thanks in advance.

I'm waiting for Kitakami; I think it will be for steel.

• Cool 1

[NX01]
Members
38 posts
7,497 battles

So looking at https://wowsft.com

There are 5 T9 and T10 test ships.  So those are the ships that could be put up for sale for coal, Research Bureau or Steel.  All of the current Steel ships are T10.  I do not know if this is a conscious decision or not.  We have seen other tiers for Steel, but they all have been removed and are supposed to be coming back for coal soon.

We pretty much know that the T9 German BB Pommern will be for coal.  It was mentioned on a steam a while ago that a German BB was coming for coal. 

The other T9 is the Italian DD Paolo Emilio.  This ship seems to be having a troubled development and has been changed radically a couple of times (it started life as a T10 for example).  So there is no real idea when this ship will be available.  I have no real clue where this one is going.  If you think WG is going for only T10's for steel that would mean this one is coal or RB.

Now on to the T10's. 

The US CV FDR has been in development for a while, and I figure that it will be release pretty soon.  My thought is that this ship is headed for the RD.  I think they are going to want to put a CV in the RB to encourage CV mains to regrind.

The Russian BB Slava has been put back in testing and I think they really want to get this ship out the door.  No real idea on this one.  So it feels like a steel ship, but there will be a backlash if they do that.  But if they do it for coal, then you have the Smolensk problem where there are multiple of these in a lot of games.

The last one is the Russian DD R-10.  And they could go a lot of ways with this ship.  This ship is basically a better Tashkent.  So are they going to do the Moskva thing and use this ship as the new T10 to unify the line and push the Khaba to the armory.  If they don't do that and the Paolo Emilio is for coal, I think this ship will be for the RB.  I think they are going to want at least of one of every class in the RB.

The Kitakami is not on the Wows Fitting yet.  But I guess that this ship will be for steel like @dimzzy said.  That makes the chance of things like 3 Kitakami divisions less likely. 

• Cool 2

[-1]
Members
585 posts
9,113 battles
3 minutes ago, admiralMI said:

So are they going to do the Moskva thing and use this ship as the new T10 to unify the line and push the Khaba to the armory.

That's a very interesting thought--I kind of stopped at Kiev but maybe it's a good idea to at least unlock Khaba now.

[NX01]
Members
38 posts
7,497 battles
3 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

That's a very interesting thought--I kind of stopped at Kiev but maybe it's a good idea to at least unlock Khaba now.

To be fair, I stole the idea from someone else.  Don't remember where I saw that idea.  I have been working on that side of the Russian DDs for that reason.  I don't want to have power grind if that is what they do.  And if they announce it for some other currency, it is not like I will have lost anything.

[KOTSB]
Members
627 posts
9,404 battles

Get the Bourgogne, all the other steel ships are "meh: at best. Stalingrad and Bourgogne are really the only 2 that are absolutely worth getting. My 2 clanmates with Somers regret getting her and Shikishima is just a worse Yamato that gets good AA. I prefer Stalingrad for CBs and ranked and Bourgogne for randoms, although she can do great in competitive if your team picks a comp to compliment her. I currently don't have enough steel for another t10 at the moment and am waiting to see how Slava is going to be acquired before I spend any more resources. Unlocking Bourgogne is still one of my proudest moments in my WOWs career and as a BB main.

WorldOfWarships64 2020-03-26 20-49-48-273.jpg

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,511 posts
22,446 battles
1 hour ago, Kraayt said:

Thanks in advance.

I am less than 500 Steel from Bourgogne myself but am torn once I get there about spending because you don't know what is next. 

[KOTSB]
Members
627 posts
9,404 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am less than 500 Steel from Bourgogne myself but am torn once I get there about spending because you don't know what is next. 

She's a great choice man. Unless you're choosing between her and Stalingrad, I don't think its a hard choice.

[PVE]
Members
11,511 posts
22,446 battles
Just now, admiralsexybeast said:

She's a great choice man. Unless you're choosing between her and Stalingrad, I don't think its a hard choice.

I could actually get Stalingrad right now but honestly I don't think I would play it enough to sacrifice almost 3 years of gathering Steel. I know I would play Bourgogne a lot.

[KOTSB]
Members
627 posts
9,404 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I could actually get Stalingrad right now but honestly I don't think I would play it enough to sacrifice almost 3 years of gathering Steel. I know I would play Bourgogne a lot.

Yeah, unless you plan on playing alot of CBs and ranked in the future, I'd say you'll get a lot more use out of Bourgogne if you earn steel at a slow pace. Stalingrad's thing is to go bow in and lock down sections of the map, which is useful in competitive, but not as viable in Randoms with a lot bigger variety in ships being played. With Bourgogne, you'll usually be zooming around the map punishing broadsides or burning things down, trying not to stay stationary. I find those strengths a lot more useful in random gameplay.

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
11,511 posts
22,446 battles
3 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Yeah, unless you plan on playing alot of CBs and ranked in the future, I'd say you'll get a lot more use out of Bourgogne if you earn steel at a slow pace. Stalingrad's thing is to go bow in and lock down sections of the map, which is useful in competitive, but not as viable in Randoms with a lot bigger variety in ships being played. With Bourgogne, you'll usually be zooming around the map punishing broadsides or burning things down, trying not to stay stationary. I find those strengths a lot more useful in random gameplay.

You must be new around here? ME play Ranked and Clan Battles? LOL :cap_wander::Smile_veryhappy:

I am a Co-op main and avoid PVP like the plague. It isn't my thing. I will occasionally do a few randoms but have never, nor will I ever, play Ranked or CB.

No offense intended good sir. Just having some fun and "splaining

:cap_like:

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,891 posts
15,673 battles
2 hours ago, Kraayt said:

Thanks in advance.

I've been wondering as well.  I have nearly 40k of Steel and nothing available really excites me.

38 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Get the Bourgogne, all the other steel ships are "meh: at best. Stalingrad and Bourgogne are really the only 2 that are absolutely worth getting. My 2 clanmates with Somers regret getting her and Shikishima is just a worse Yamato that gets good AA. I prefer Stalingrad for CBs and ranked and Bourgogne for randoms, although she can do great in competitive if your team picks a comp to compliment her. I currently don't have enough steel for another t10 at the moment and am waiting to see how Slava is going to be acquired before I spend any more resources. Unlocking Bourgogne is still one of my proudest moments in my WOWs career and as a BB main.

Before I had half the steel needed for Bourgogne I thought that would be my next steel ship after getting Black.  Soon after getting Black I had enough coal to get Georgia and soon after that, I realized how little battleship I play.  Stalingrad playstyle is not my thing either.  I'm a DD main and have agonized over getting Somers.  I'm conflicted because I have Halland, Smaland and Marceau and I really like them.  I've been sitting on steel on my steel for quite awhile now.  

[KOTSB]
Members
627 posts
9,404 battles
38 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I've been wondering as well.  I have nearly 40k of Steel and nothing available really excites me.

Before I had half the steel needed for Bourgogne I thought that would be my next steel ship after getting Black.  Soon after getting Black I had enough coal to get Georgia and soon after that, I realized how little battleship I play.  Stalingrad playstyle is not my thing either.  I'm a DD main and have agonized over getting Somers.  I'm conflicted because I have Halland, Smaland and Marceau and I really like them.  I've been sitting on steel on my steel for quite awhile now.  

If you mostly play DDs then there's nothing wrong with going for the Somers. Its not a bad ship, but its more niched towards people who mostly play DDs, IMO.

[INTEL]
Members
2,891 posts
15,673 battles
Just now, admiralsexybeast said:

If you mostly play DDs then there's nothing wrong with going for the Somers. Its not a bad ship, but its more niched towards people who mostly play DDs, IMO.

If the next steel ship is a battleship or carrier that's what I will do.  I'll have enough for another steel ship after this or the next Ranked season anyway.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,732 posts
2 hours ago, admiralMI said:

The Russian BB Slava has been put back in testing and I think they really want to get this ship out the door.  No real idea on this one.  So it feels like a steel ship, but there will be a backlash if they do that.  But if they do it for coal, then you have the Smolensk problem where there are multiple of these in a lot of games.

I thought Slava was supposed to be a tier X alternate/split.

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles

After very careful consideration between the Steel Ships I recently acquired the Shikishima, and have been very pleased with how it performs. Including not only having good AA, but the ability to have its AA mounts actually stay intact far longer than some of the other ships making it a hazard for aircraft and vet the course of an entire battle instead of the all too often just initially other ships get. ( Shikishima was my first major steel ship purchase, so I considered All factors of each ship before getting one, including any foreseeable future threats WG might add to battles.)

Secondary guns have greater damage, rate of fire, fire chances, and shell penetration than the GK gets so it’s a very viable secondary gunship. Only drawback is it has the same weaknesses in armor as the Yamato hull, but also the same armor strengths.

Main guns hit really hard as they should considering their Massive Caliber, and are accurate even at long range. Did salvo few minutes ago where only a couple shells hit and yet the damage was over 25k with the citadel it scored.

So be sure to consider the ship if you are in the market for steel ships because either the CCs were wrong about the ship or else WG may have buffed it just before release. Because my battles have been very good in, and so have the other Shikishima ships I have seen in battles.

Members
4,076 posts
10,123 battles
16 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I thought Slava was supposed to be a tier X alternate/split.

It was, but Ohio and Thunderer were originally hinted at being t10 splits too. Sure WG could keep the split idea for Slava, but with the path they ultimately chose for Ohio, Thunderer, and now Shikishima, I’d expect Slava to be a resource ship. I’ve seen a lot of people guess it will be coal, but unless WG pulls Thunderer there would be two very similar ships for the same resource. Not that I see them doing this, but if it becomes a resource ship, the only as of yet unrepresented resource for t10 battleships is free xp. If it is free xp, it would probably make a decent amount of money for WG with people converting FXP, but it would also flood the MM pool more than the other resources would. WG also seems to be moving away from FXP battleships since every resource battleship has been coal/steel/RB since Musashi).

Since we just got a new steel battleship and the current RB battleship isn’t super popular (and be just got yet another RB ship), I don’t think we’d get another one for those currencies so soon. If it’s not a tech tree split, I’d expect coal since Thunderer is older and likely to get pulled in the near future.

Members
4,076 posts
10,123 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Same here. I have enough coal to get one of the t10s with a coupon, and am only a few thousand steel away from Bourgogne with the coupon, so I’m currently holding onto the coupon until I get enough steel for it and waiting to see what else gets announced for steel/coal and if anything is getting pulled before the next coupon reset.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,755 posts
22,652 battles
4 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

WorldOfWarships64 2020-03-26 20-49-48-273.jpg

I've had the steel to get any of those Tier Xs since this past holiday season.  It's just I've been wary about spending it, watching for what is coming down the road.  Even back in January it was a tough decision:  Bourgogne or Stalingrad.  Both IMO are still the best choices today despite the addition of Shikashima.  Shikashima looks like a mere trophy ship with no real utility that Yamato already can cover.

Since I don't do Ranked, Clan Battles, it took me years to get the Steel I have now, and I'm very careful in what I'm going to spend it on.  It's now almost August 2020 and I still haven't pulled the trigger.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,940 posts
9,799 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

@LittleWhiteMouse would know for certain the record holder, T-61 must have been it for awhile, but I think that T5 or 6 Italian DD must be close to longest.

There's a lot of ships that have over one year's development production.  Slava has technically been in public production since December of 2018.  She and Kremlin split before the Soviet battleship release.  Siegfried was announced more than a year before she was made available.