You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Odin..should I just save the $14

72 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
765 posts

Finally finished the Odin dockyard, less the last two, so it will cost me $14 to get Odin.  I'm not really sure I want to bother.  Most people say the ship is a big turd.  I don't have any premium BBs at level VIII, but I do have a Bismarck with a 19pt. Captain outfitted for secondaries and a permanent camo.  Although the money is not really an issue, I hate throwing dollars away on something that will  probably just sit in port.  Should I just buy a pizza with my $14?

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,330 posts
14,249 battles

Odin plays waaaayyy better than its statistics tend to imply. It's like a T8 Scharnhorst, very survivable and a late game shark in the pool. 

• Cool 4

Members
81 posts
1,962 battles

If you’re familiar with the Scharnhorst or Gneisenau playstyle, you’ll be fine in it and it’s worthwhile. You can’t play it like it’s Tirpitz or Bismarck. It’s a different type of ship. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,678 posts
13 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Finally finished the Odin dockyard, less the last two, so it will cost me $14 to get Odin.  I'm not really sure I want to bother.  Most people say the ship is a big turd.  I don't have any premium BBs at level VIII, but I do have a Bismarck with a 19pt. Captain outfitted for secondaries and a permanent camo.  Although the money is not really an issue, I hate throwing dollars away on something that will  probably just sit in port.  Should I just buy a pizza with my $14?

I won't tell you how to spend your money.

I will tell you that you're getting a versatile, adaptable, interesting tier 8 premium BB with good armor, German hydro, torpedoes, and surprising (for a BB) agility and concealment, for roughly the price of a tier 5 premium. 

IMO, a lot of the Odin-trashing comes from a place of wanting ships to fit narrow optimized roles, and considering any ship that doesn't fit in the round hole a useless waste.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[D3BT]
Members
370 posts
6,173 battles

It is well worth the $14, don't let this one pass you by.....

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
510 posts
7,201 battles
15 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

A pizza for $14 sounds like a forgettable chain pizza place pizza.  After several hours, you'll have a seat, push that out and that's that.   Now if you are spending $14 from a local, non-chain pizzeria, that's a different matter IMO.  Local pizzerias, while more expensive, make some great pizzas that you'll not soon forget.   And supporting local businesses can be very important these days.   But those experiences can vary of course.

Or you can get the Odin, have it for as long as the Wargaming keeps the server active and enjoy the benefits of a premium ship.    I went ahead and spent the $14 and have so far only played the Odin in co-op and it's been fun.   I like it's secondary fire which makes it a rarity in my fleet.  And as it now represents the highest tier German ship in my fleet, it fills that gap in nicely.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,142 posts
6,097 battles

I'll just say this one thing: there may not be such massive discount for a Tier VIII Premium ship ever again. Of course, it took a lot of effort to get that discount... but a discount is a discount, and because you put in all the time and effort to get it, why let it go to waste?

And also of course, who knows, we might see similar discount again in the future... but are we sure? One thing I learned from playing this game over the years is that sometimes you shouldn't let a good opportunity slip by... because they often never return.

That's just me though. It's still your money, so please do as you like.

My 2 moolahs.

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
459 battles

I don't have the Odin, but it's been killing me a lot in ranked so probs a decent ship.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
9,982 posts
16,773 battles
23 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I would get the ship because I don't know any place you can get a good pizza for $14, well, not a large one anyway. Odin seems like a fine ship to me, balanced pretty well, not OP and not trash. The torps will surprise some people for a while.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
3,694 posts
21,969 battles
27 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Not often you're going to be able to purchase a T8 premium ship for $14 on release.

Put that 19 pt. Bismarck captain in it and print Commander XP to help upgrade your other commanders.

[AZUR1]
Members
46 posts
2,251 battles

Odin is a T8 premium.

It's fine to spend 14$ on it.

If it's priced as other T8 premium, than it's not worth.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,912 posts
13,143 battles

It's a Tier 8 Scharnhorst with the hydro that the Scharnhorst always needed but never got.

No, 12-inch guns are nobody's world enders, but if you can fire on enemy battleships with 8-inch, you can do it with 12 inch too. Against cruisers, she fulfills the battlecruiser role quite adequately.

I like mine. She's a good ship.

• Cool 2

[4HIM]
Members
2,964 posts
11,616 battles

I like it.  As was said above, I wouldn't have spend T8 BB money on it.  Another decent KMS BB captain booster.  Also good for missions that require getting secondary hits.  I already had the dubs so for me it was a no-brainer.  Plus I was just finishing up a KMS BB captain so Odin helped a bit there as well.  So for me in my situation, it was worth it.  But each of us has to evaluate whether or not it's worth spending our own money.  

[-SV-]
Members
2 posts
3,757 battles

If you grinded all 18 steps just do it it's a fun ship. I had the doubloons already from gifts etc so i went ahead from the beginning planning to buy last two steps. If you don't like german battleships then maybe not but it's not a bad ship overall

Members
13 posts
15,827 battles

Its a long grind, you get a nice battlecruiser, with lots of goodies to play with, my thoughts.

I didn't have Graf Spee, so I got 2 premiums, for little money.

I like mine.  :cap_cool:

Edited by Seabear
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,964 posts
11,616 battles

And don't forget, you also get a port slot, a 10 point captain, and 10k coal as well.  

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,066 posts
7,490 battles
37 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I would get the ship because I don't know any place you can get a good pizza for $14, well, not a large one anyway. Odin seems like a fine ship to me, balanced pretty well, not OP and not trash. The torps will surprise some people for a while.

If you ever find yourself in Indianapolis......

mars-hill-indianapolis-in-neighborhood-photo.thumb.jpg.41f7b7ebb85dd2786153baa0a7cd080e.jpg

also, $14 for a tier 8 premium is an excellent deal.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,603 posts
17,940 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Most people say the ship is a big turd.

Most people are idiots.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,678 posts
19 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

And don't forget, you also get a port slot, a 10 point captain, and 10k coal as well.  

Good point.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,679 posts
14,007 battles

The Odin is a good ship but with its small hit point pool can't trade shots with other BB's that it sees, play her more like a cruiser.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,678 posts
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The Odin is a good ship but with its small hit point pool can't trade shots with other BB's that it sees, play her more like a cruiser.

I guess call it a "very very armored cruiser"?   :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
477 posts
8,135 battles

It’s forgettable in its current form.  I would get my money and time back if I could lol.

It feels like it’s missing something.  That feeling is greatly magnified when uptiered.

Edited by LastSamurai714

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,004 posts
11,694 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Odin is a real good boat. Buy the pizza next week.