You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anonymous50

For One Brief Shining Weekend Asashio...

5 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
1,837 posts
9,540 battles

....is fitting a ranked meta

SnapCrab_NoName_2020-7-26_11-10-17_No-00.thumb.png.9d9ec45e8cb4e39aa45cc3ba5c38d565.png

(yes, there are more impressive - I'm a flying potato)

That was actually us with 2 Asashio's in a 3 BB 2 Cruiser 2 DD match    - every match has been 3 BB's  - heck had a 1CV 3BB 2 Cruiser &  little old me game this morning and still did fine

Even when I can't land a punch with my torps, the conceal  and spotting capability is so darn good on this thing that a decent team behind can take full advantage

YMMV of course

Edited by Anonymous50

[ARGSY]
Members
18,956 posts
13,161 battles

I saw @SeaRaptor on stream a short while ago with an Asashio on his Ranked team. I think he was rolling his eyes more than a little at the start, but the Asashio player did very good work. That being said it's not a destroyer I would take to Ranked (if I did Ranked at all, which I don't), and if it were, I would be thinking long and hard about exactly how I was going to use it.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,071 posts

Asashio is the only DD that can literally turn the tide of the fight in the opening minutes of the battle IF the CV in his team helps him. 

All the CV has to do is scout the BB positions first thing and to drop a fighter at the torp release point the Asashio tells the CV . 

Asashio only has to examine map, find the most likely BB-transiting location and then find a torpedo firing location that will intersect that path. Its 20km range and torp reload booster allows Asashio to launch a salvo as soon as battle starts...and in most maps the torp release point and BB transiting path is just 2 grids away from Asashio's starting point. The only thing Asashio needs is CV to confirm where the BB's are headed and at the same time, gives the Asashio a good estimate on where to fire those torps to. 

When I get a cooperating CV when I run my Asashio the results are amazing. More often than not, a red BB is sunk in the opening minutes or 2 or more are heavily damaged by my torps. The cruisers and red DDs tend to react and do things they normally wouldn't as this happens... like fire off their radar prematurely or scatter/break from sailing along with the BBs. 

• Cool 1

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
264 posts
7,947 battles

I have been playing Ranked only with my Oland.   I have been very pleased with its performance.  That said, when I run into an Asashio , I have started to get a bit cautious with them.   They pick me up sooner and the gunnery is typically better than average, as they have had to get better with the torp limitation.  It is reasonably tough in a DD gunfight.   If I wasn't so pleased with my Oland, I would probably be giving the Asashio a run instead of it being a port queen for me.

Good fortunes to you.

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,622 posts
11,923 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think he was rolling his eyes more than a little at the start, but the Asashio player did very good work.

He did indeed. I was impressed; the game will be coming to the channel in the front half of this week.  I still don't think Asashio is a very good pick in ranked, but this guy took a look at the enemy team composition, charged the middle of the map, and proceeded to devastate 2/3 of their BB corps with the torps. It was a thing of beauty.  

Edited by SeaRaptor