You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jake_Miller_67

So, the only way to win in ranked is to buy the latest ship?

82 comments in this topic

[DUDS]
Members
99 posts
8,212 battles

One day previous to last ranked battles, I ran a Shinyhorse with two clan mates of mine in a random match.  Got 8 kills.  I’m not the best at this game, but I’ve gotten to rank 3 before.  So, Tier VII ranked runs its course...I’ve never struggled so hard in this game to simply get to rank 9...didn’t matter what ship I used, couldn’t hit a thing and got shredded by every store-bought ship the game offers.  

So, here we are at Tier 8 ranked...started at 12 with one star.  Got to 9 with one star yesterday morning.  Last night, this morning...I’m running an Alabama...big deal, the Massachusetts (unbeknownst to me) is the only USN ship that cannot be hit much less cit’d, four full HE salvos at a slowly backing up Tirpitz B (from 15km away, no less)...think I got a fire?  Lol, not one shell even touched him!  36 shells, not even a ricochet.  And, that doesn’t even include the magically disappearing broadside in the previous match against  2300 HP Lenin from 5km away...yeah, 5.  What did my teammate say: biased ship wins.  Sure, unless I’m in one.

Meanwhile, any CV?  I can run all the AA flags I want...guaranteed at least three torps hit me, every time.  DDs hit me with impunity.  Hell, I just report every opposing CV from the start, not like I’m going to hit one in the match anyways, might as well.

My Vladivostok?  Oh, I’m sorry, it’s not the Lenin, so don’t bother.

Alabama?  You should have bought the Mass. 

Tirptz?  Bismarck?  Oh, silly you...you need an Odin.  

Don’t bother with Cruisers, suffice it to say against my ships...indestructible.  But, if I’m running a Cleveland?  Out in the first three minutes, no matter what island or how close to it.  

World of store-bought insanity.  Treasure chests of bought fun.  

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 13
  • Meh 2

[PISD]
Members
1,092 posts
4,965 battles

I think that the issue is much more behind the keyboard than the ships.

• Cool 27

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,293 posts
14,494 battles

One thing to remember. In ranked sprint not all the competitive skilled players play that mode. Usually regular ranked, they come out in droves. I can usually rank out in ranked sprint, I can’t in regular ranked. I just usually play to rank 10. I may give it the old college try until pushed back to 12 with no stars a couple times. Fight back to rank 10 and tap out. Not worth the aggravation. 

• Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[DUDS]
Members
99 posts
8,212 battles

Yeah, it’s me...as evidenced by the 8 kills one day before the last Tier 7 ranked.  Yep, I just can’t aim well.  That’s what it is.  Can’t be that the game is simply a mess because of way too many new ships and too many updates.  Can’t be because they’ve made it so the only way to win is to pay gobs of money.  Can’t be any of that, it must be that the game is fine and I suddenly forgot how to play it.  Yeah, how’s that Smolensk working?  Stalingrad?  Thought so.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 4

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,293 posts
14,494 battles

Only speaking for myself, I’m average at best. Had a unicum tell me in Reddit one time if a player is average or below they are at the whims of MM. Was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was the truth. I don’t process information as fast, react as fast, absorb and retain as much information as they do. Just my limitations. I’ve div’ed with unicums before in voice. I discovered quickly the issue was me. That’s why I don’t beat myself up to badly over it. I want to win, but if I’m bested, hit a glass ceiling, ect. It is what it is.

• Cool 9

[DUDS]
Members
99 posts
8,212 battles

2km away from a Vladivostok just now, while in my own Vlad...two full broadsides right under his #2 turret.  Want to guess on how many citadels I got?  How about whether I even got the kill?  That would be zero and no.  But, even though I had 22K HP at that point...yep, three torps from the CV sunk me.  Best part of the whole match was three minutes before when I sent up my fighters, chose the right side option for my AA, had my teammate’s Bismarck to my immediate left AND nearly ran over our Edinburgh...yessir, CV’s planes still got through and hit me with two torps!  

That’s enough, I have a life to live, best of luck to you guys, but I’m done.  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 7

[PISD]
Members
18 posts
989 battles
16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm thinking the replays would have been educational to view.
Oh well.

Haha, ya right!  This player will never look within. They only want to complain and project onto reasons that aren’t actually holding them back.  They’re holding themselves back, yet lack the ability to self reflect.   

These are our average teammates in ranked, which is exactly why I don’t get upset when I lose.  Even when my team is hard winning and WE throw.  I always, no matter how it shook out, look at my own play only and figure out how to improve. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
15,719 posts
12,778 battles

Why are you complaining about P2W when you are running a shinyhorse in T7?

That's literally one of the best T7 BBs in the game.

AA is equally trash on all T8 ships and there's no point investing any skills, modules or flags into it, as it doesn't result in any meaningful change.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,721 posts
26 minutes ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

2km away from a Vladivostok just now, while in my own Vlad...two full broadsides right under his #2 turret.  Want to guess on how many citadels I got?  How about whether I even got the kill?  That would be zero and no.  But, even though I had 22K HP at that point...yep, three torps from the CV sunk me.  Best part of the whole match was three minutes before when I sent up my fighters, chose the right side option for my AA, had my teammate’s Bismarck to my immediate left AND nearly ran over our Edinburgh...yessir, CV’s planes still got through and hit me with two torps!  

That’s enough, I have a life to live, best of luck to you guys, but I’m done.  

So is the message here than the other player purchased his Vlad and it is therefore better than your Vlad or that AA isn't a magic shield spell that stops all damage?

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,447 posts
10,870 battles
4 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

AA is equally trash on all T8 ships

The Massachusetts has pretty good AA so I use the AA signal with her .

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,394 posts
6,232 battles

get vladivostok and dominate the sea as a alpha male.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,481 posts

Im not sure Ive even seen one Odin in a single ranked match yet, let alone it being the ubiquitous BB pick you claim?

Tirpitzs and Vlads on the other hand seem quite common.

[REKTD]
Members
195 posts
8,796 battles

This is a clear example of being past when it’s time to take a break: “If the game is not fun, turn it off!”

It is possible, perhaps probable, that many of us have felt this way at times. Realize that it’s time to give yourself a break. OP, if he was to read his post after a few weeks, would realize the obvious contradictions, but right now it just doesn’t appear to him.

Further, he likely believes that the MM is “against” him. While I’ve been told MM “would never do such a thing”, I do realize when MM is putting me in a “bag of fries”, and I go play something else. I once lost 19 in a row. The problem was mainly internal, but “RNG” was what OP describes too. 
Never again, 3 straight losses has been the max. I won 19 straight, 13 straight wins 2 days ago. While I would love to say it was all me, I’m just not that good...but I was helping my team instead of hurting them. And that single fact is magnified massively in ranked.

Edited by SuperComm4
  • Cool 1

Members
95 posts
9,464 battles

So pay attention more. Turn into the torpedo planes to mitigate the hits or get to them before they arm. Rather than aiming at the belt armour aim at the superstructure to guarantee damage and the kill. If what you're doing isn't working, try something else....and use your rudder.

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,132 battles
2 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

This is a clear example of being past when it’s time to take a break: “If the game is not fun, turn it off!”

It is possible, perhaps probable, that many of us have felt this way at times. Realize that it’s time to give yourself a break. OP, if he was to read his post after a few weeks, would realize the obvious contradictions, but right now it just doesn’t appear to him.

Further, he likely believes that the MM is “against” him. While I’ve been told MM “would never do such a thing”, I do realize when MM is putting me in a “bag of fries”, and I go play something else. I once lost 19 in a row. The problem was mainly internal. Never again, 3 has been the max. I won 19 straight, 13 straight wins 2 days ago. While I would love to say it was all me, I’m just not that good...but I was helping my team instead of hurting them. And that single fact is magnified massively in ranked.

Yeah this is why people that like gaming say it’s good not only to have non gaming hobbies and activities, but also have some alternative games to play to relax with if in this case WOWs gets too stressful. Like I have taken last couple days off after things felt a little stressful, and you know what I am feeling refreshed about the game and ready to play again. Although in some cases a month or so away is needed.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,706 posts
19,586 battles
1 hour ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

One day previous to last ranked battles, I ran a Shinyhorse with two clan mates of mine in a random match.  Got 8 kills.  I’m not the best at this game, but I’ve gotten to rank 3 before.  So, Tier VII ranked runs its course...I’ve never struggled so hard in this game to simply get to rank 9...didn’t matter what ship I used, couldn’t hit a thing and got shredded by every store-bought ship the game offers.  

So, here we are at Tier 8 ranked...started at 12 with one star.  Got to 9 with one star yesterday morning.  Last night, this morning...I’m running an Alabama...big deal, the Massachusetts (unbeknownst to me) is the only USN ship that cannot be hit much less cit’d, four full HE salvos at a slowly backing up Tirpitz B (from 15km away, no less)...think I got a fire?  Lol, not one shell even touched him!  36 shells, not even a ricochet.  And, that doesn’t even include the magically disappearing broadside in the previous match against  2300 HP Lenin from 5km away...yeah, 5.  What did my teammate say: biased ship wins.  Sure, unless I’m in one.

Meanwhile, any CV?  I can run all the AA flags I want...guaranteed at least three torps hit me, every time.  DDs hit me with impunity.  Hell, I just report every opposing CV from the start, not like I’m going to hit one in the match anyways, might as well.

My Vladivostok?  Oh, I’m sorry, it’s not the Lenin, so don’t bother.

Tirptz?  Bismarck?  Oh, silly you...you need an Odin.  

Don’t bother with Cruisers, suffice it to say against my ships...indestructible.  But, if I’m running a Cleveland?  Out in the first three minutes, no matter what island or how close to it.  

World of store-bought insanity.  Treasure chests of bought fun.  

Bismark is better than odin. 15v nch guns and more health.

[PVE]
Members
3,943 posts
16,795 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

So is the message here than the other player purchased his Vlad and it is therefore better than your Vlad or that AA isn't a magic shield spell that stops all damage?

It's a game and sometimes the game mechanics just are a "little weird".....  Sometimes, that BB at 2.8K makes a turn and then another turn that DD's couldn't make to avoid 100% fatal torps.....  RNG and dispersion sometimes make no sense because another player in the same ship is massacring and you can't even hit the Ocean.  I've seen enough of this to make me realize that it's just better not to even try sometimes.  Lately, secondaries in a configured secondary ship with manual FC seems not to even work in some matches at published max effective ranges.....  Pulled up older replays and compared them to newer replays and the results are apples and oranges??????  One little tweak in the source code and "x%" of real value goes away and no one would ever know...........  i.e.  WARNING: Tin Foil hat EVENT:  my 11.6 secondaries in the Odin at first use would start to fire in and around 11.3-11.5. K....never at 11.6.    Now, they won't start, no matter the AOA, until 11.1 - 11.2????  The "And Yet, There It Is", staring you in the face everyday.     I wonder why????  $$$$$$$

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,324 posts
14,166 battles

Let's keep comments constructive and on topic. No personal attacks.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,087 posts
17,851 battles

four full HE salvos at a slowly backing up Tirpitz B (from 15km away, no less)...think I got a fire?  Lol, not one shell even touched him!  36 shells, not even a ricochet

I want to say bad RNG or shells falling short, but after 4 salvoes missing, I highly doubt its RNG or a game bug. Either the Tirpitz is really good at throttle juking or someone can’t aim, gonna guess on the latter

And, that doesn’t even include the magically disappearing broadside in the previous match against  2300 HP Lenin from 5km away...yeah, 5.

Same guess on what the problem is as above

y Vladivostok?  Oh, I’m sorry, it’s not the Lenin, so don’t bother.

Tirptz?  Bismarck?  Oh, silly you...you need an Odin

Vlad is better than Lenin, you’re right about Massa vs. Alabama 
Tirpitz and Bismarck are better than Odin in every way except price

But, if I’m running a Cleveland?  Out in the first three minutes, no matter what island or how close to it.  

If that’s the case, you’re doing it wrong

2km away from a Vladivostok just now, while in my own Vlad...two full broadsides right under his #2 turret.  Want to guess on how many citadels I got?  How about whether I even got the kill?  That would be zero and no.  But, even though I had 22K HP at that point...yep, three torps from the CV sunk me.

Aim at the waterline or don’t fire HE at an armoured belt

Also no way a CV can do 22k damage with three torp hits without help from a perma flood or detonation 

[PVE]
Members
3,943 posts
16,795 battles
4 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Let's keep comments constructive and on topic. No personal attacks.

Good point.  :cap_like:

After all, we want to be a "kinder, and gentler society".............yes !       Have you ever though about that phrase: "no personal attacks?"  In a game that is all about how good you personally attack someone else and get more points for being an effective attacker?  

Where's George Carlin when we need him............

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,549 posts

My successful forays into Ranked have been with Hipper and Hindenburg. 

Not exactly "nu hawtness botes".

There's little to nothing "pay to win" about WOWS, unless one falls for the notion that new/purchased ships are always better, or distorts the meaning of "pay to win" to the point of meaninglessness.

• Cool 3

[_BDA_]
Members
228 posts
3,781 battles

I doubt this issue is with Ranked anything, its just randomness.  Today I had 8 of 12 14" shells bounce off a full-on broadside at under 5 kilometers.  Yes, 8 hits that ricocheted off the full broadside armor of a Colorado from Arizona (the other 4 missed entirely).   As my boss used to say... sheet happens.

[LOU1]
Members
4,118 posts
11,714 battles

Angling is king.  Just one degree can make all the difference.  Doesn't matter where you hit a ship, if they are on a good angle the only way to damage them is if you can overmatch.  I am frequently naughty - when I determine a target knows how to angle, I light them up with a couple of salvos of HE.