You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Conundrum

And then this happened...

46 comments in this topic

[BABS]
Members
239 posts

Lets face it.... Players trying to play Random or Ranked battles have to deal with the single greatest weakness in World of Warships..  OTHER PLAYERS.... Bad players... Players that dont know their head from a hole in the ground and even if they combined all their skill could probably be outplayed by an onion... Shallot or traditional yellow, you take your pick.

This past week has been especially bad.   But I digress.....  Matchmaking has been an absolute trainwreck.  Yesterday it involved constant double uptiering to Tier 9 in a tier 7 ship. Without fail...  After 6 in a row, I decided to take out a Tier 8 Destroyer and got a straight tier 8 match!  Great right?  No, because Wargaming screwed me over by sticking my smokeless DD into a Double CV match.  Nevermind the fact that I constantly see 20 or 30 players a day throwing the F bomb around in battlechat.. This has gifted me with divine knowlege.

Wargaming's 1st commandment, "Thou shalt not criticize Wargaming". (Cue reverent Gregorian chanting here)

But that brings me to today...  Defeat, after Defeat, after Defeat... Over and over... Cursed by teams of players whose brains probably were not firing on all cylinders.  Yes, I'm referring to the inglorious and infamous POTATO.....  I'm sure you all seen them.. Many of you have probably torn out a hair or two in response to the encounter.  Regardless, it is unfortunately a sad part of the game, and a major reason why I put no stock in anyone to tries to compare a player by their "Win percentage".  Warships is a team centric game, whether we like it or not.  You can be the best player in the world, but if your entire team melts all at once and all that is left is you against eight other players you can kiss your butt goodbye!

Now I'm saying this not as someone claiming to the best..  I'm a happy average.  I know it, I'm fine with it, and I dont spend enough time on it to become great by going at it for seventeen hours a day every day.  Allow me to present a little evidence then, not a win, but instead a screenshot of a loss.

Yeah, thats me in second place.  Sadly, much of the rest of the team was utterly useless..  Now pay attention to Mr Last place....

Yes, thats him after I got triple teamed by a pair of DD's and a cruiser (Their Mainz) at the start.   Our Yorck player entered the game, Saw he wasnt top tier, Waited for us to move forward, and as the team started to try and get him to move up and support, he turned his ship around and moved back a full square, then sat there moving back and forth 20 or 30 meters at a time for a while.  He intentionally entered the game, saw he didnt like the roster, and then left with his full health of 32,600 untouched. I nabbed the photo a minute after he stopped using his throttle 7 minutes into the match.  I ended up doing around 80K damage for the round before I died right at the end, and got my revenge on both of the DD's that tried to wipe me out at point A at the start of the game.  The damage, as well as my capping is what got me the base XP and second place finish on that loss.  Good players, with a bad team, or even just bad luck can still be royally screwed.

The following match became even more fun.  Moving to a tier 7 with two other members of my clan, we ran into an individual with an Italian cruiser(Zara) that apparently had no guns... I dont know why Wargaming would design such a cruiser, but apparently it exists.  He then spent the entire match, weaving side to side trying to fire torpedo salvos at destroyers he could not see from 10 kilometers away.  Those of you familiar with the italian boats know their torpedoes are fairly slow.   It gets down to the last 6 minutes, and it is now the two of us left.

The team had been pleading and begging for this individual to move up and take out a DD that was causing us problems.  He kept spamming the F2 "Negative" order, and proceeding to hide behind me.  Enter the final action of the round, I turned around and left him.  I was irritated, cursed to be stuck with a moron worried about padding his own stats instead of winning as a team.  And for turning and not letting him hide behind me anymore??  Yep, the dumb idiot tried to intentionally ram me as we had enemy ships closing in.

Is my sense of humor on the darker side? Sure.  But I leave you with this.  If you have read this and cannot find a bond of commonality with the suffering of the average player in this game..... Well, you might not have a soul.  Happy 2020.

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
61 posts
3,877 battles

Try not to name and shame.

• Meh 2

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
6 minutes ago, Torenico said:

Try not to name and shame.

That was not my intent...  And also why I avoided spelling out their names personally.  I wish I had editing software to clean up the screen shots, but in all honesty this is no different than if I were posting a replay link and you could see it as a video. Or as the Mighty Jingles might say, "Thats a paddlin."

Thats also why I focused on two games that where losses on my part, and my own shallow action of detonating a "friendly" ship.  

Personally I dont like most of the insults that get directed at players, and I hate seeing newer players bullied if they try to voice concerns.. I'm sure you're aware of some of them..  Like "Well why dont you just get better."  or "Stick to Co-op." Nothing better than seeing a veteran player dismissing a newer one by essentially telling them "you suck" right?  

Wargaming is ignoring its customer base.  There are legitimate problems with the game currently that they refuse to address, and it is making things miserable for a great many players.   Everytime someone complains about CV's and CV players, every time someone complains about the complaints over CV's..  Problems with matchmaking...  And in spite of it happening over and over again, countless videos from content creators and PARTNERS to Wargaming, about the only response we can get is "But the meta says...."   We dont care about a stupid slip of paper.  We just want the game to be balanced, and for some of the other issues to be addressed.

[REKTD]
Members
195 posts
8,796 battles

This issue of people trolling their own teams is ridiculous, and getting more prevalent. These deviants ruin the game for everyone else, and should be dealt with harshly. Unfortunately they know the current rules and there does not seem to be any real counter as submitting their “misbehavior” won’t really work. Basically, they aren’t afk or tk’ing. Yet they troll friendlies and refuse to fire at reds. 

I congratulate OP for lighting up that one jerk, well done!

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
2 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

This issue of people trolling their own teams is ridiculous, and getting more prevalent. These deviants ruin the game for everyone else, and should be dealt with harshly. Unfortunately they know the current rules and there does not seem to be any real counter as submitting their “misbehavior” won’t really work. Basically, they aren’t afk or tk’ing. Yet they troll friendlies and refuse to fire at reds. 

I congratulate OP for lighting up that one jerk, well done!

Yes, There will always be people who try to find a way around the rules to make things miserable for people who actually want to enjoy the game.    

It happened in World of Tanks.  When Team shooting lead to penalties, the idiots started pushing friendly players over cliffs to cause them to die or some other nonsense...  They.... Are..... Jerks.....  I've always been thankful I had never played WoT or any of Wargamings other offerings because of the nonsense that went on in them.  When Warships came out, it was the game I actually wanted to get into.. Then my PC fried, and I went a while without until I got it rebuilt at the end of last year and started up on Warships again. What a difference a year and a half makes. Warships is the one offering I wanted, and I hate the fact that it is slowly being ruined. 

Whether it was the Zara, the Yorck, or a few weeks ago the RIGA that spent an entire round firing shells at my Odin because he came to a stop in front of me and I couldnt slow down quickly enough to avoid brushing him.....  Its happening more and more.  SuperComm4, I wish you luck, and hopefully you get put on all the teams that are good and worthwhile. 

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
Just now, Nevermore135 said:

This forum is full of people criticizing WG. WG sanctions players for violating the EULA and forum rules, not for being critical of them.

Speaking of sanctions, just so you know this post is likely to get flagged for 1) naming and shaming and 2) advocating team killing (even if the guy apparently deserved it).

:Smile_honoring:

Just so you know, I'm not advocating team killing...  I fully stated that it is shallow and petty behavior.   That said, Some of the comments I have made in Battle Chat have been returned to me as violations via Wargaming support...  Now, these were only my statements, and therefore out of context since they are not presented along with the rest of the conversation from two other people I was having it with (in which we were in agreement), but it does appear and I have received feedback previously along the lines of "Maybe we dont do anything about it because we dont like the way you people talk about it."  I'm not going to post them here, as apparently they are problematic and a violation of the EULA.   If you wanted to know what I could have possibly said that was rated PG but still such a horrendous violation, I'd have to send quotes in a private message, and I'm not about to do that absent of a request. 

My intent with this post, as alluded to in it, was to provide a slightly humorous look at the aggravation many of us are feeling as a result of the current state of Warships.  Personally, there may be someone out there absolutely at their wits end and ready to call it quits, and just maybe they will see this and have a chuckle..  Maybe feel less like they are the only one and that no one is listening.

At this point, I dont care... If it gets flagged. It does.  Nothing I can do about that.  This world is full of people who want nothing more than to shut down speech, so one more instance wouldnt be anything new.  

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
Just now, StudebacherHoch said:

Seems the whole of humanity is devolving into anarchy. 

Indeed.  Sad as it is to say considering I am a Constitutionalist. 

Stay safe, and good luck.

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
8 minutes ago, CSSAlabama_1 said:

We need peer ponts...

Ahh... You mean like the Karma system?  :Smile_popcorn:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,657 posts
13,997 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

The late great George Peppard...  May he rest in piece.

He was one of the greats of his era. They must have had a ball making that show because it was the perfect storm of stupid that was great.

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

He was one of the greats of his era. They must have had a ball making that show because it was the perfect storm of stupid that was great.

Yes, the on screen chemistry between each of them was something else.  George, Dirk, Dwight, and T each became iconic to their roles on that show, in spite of having movie careers as well.   It's a shame George died as early as he did. 

• Cool 1

[_BDA_]
Members
228 posts
3,785 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

If you have read this and cannot find a bond of commonality with the suffering of the average player in this game..... Well, you might not have a soul.  Happy 2020.

Many times... especially after being run over by a Massachusetts that was too busy shooting at (and missing) a wounded cruiser that I had been setting up for a kill.  Mass keeps on rolling, I die before reloading and the cruiser escapes.  Collisions happen, but this was blatant tunnel vision to the exclusion of all else.  Apology?  Not hardly.

[WOLFG]
Members
454 posts
11,165 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

I wish I had editing software to clean up the screen shots

You have it if you have a Windows PC. It's called Microsoft Paint. 

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
3 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

Many times... especially after being run over by a Massachusetts that was too busy shooting at (and missing) a wounded cruiser that I had been setting up for a kill.  Mass keeps on rolling, I die before reloading and the cruiser escapes.  Collisions happen, but this was blatant tunnel vision to the exclusion of all else.  Apology?  Not hardly.

I have sent many personal messages to players after getting out of battle if there was accidental shennanigans.   I've gotten a lot of nasty comments in the battle chat, only to have that individual be surprised when they get a message in port with an explained apology.  Just that small gesture seems to turn a lot of interactions around, and sometimes people need that. Of course, there are some people that just want to hate everyone and be nasty.

I wish more people would learn from this.

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
2 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

You have it if you have a Windows PC. It's called Microsoft Paint. 

Mr. Sherman,

I may not be that advanced in age, but I am not the most technically inclined individual..  If it isnt on my Desktop, then chances are I have no experience using it.  I remember Microsoft paint from Windows 98 through XP, but dont have any experience with it for Windows 10.

(There are many things that were self installed by Windows which I would prefer not be built into the operating system, but that is aggravation I dont plan on sharing here.)

[BABS]
Members
239 posts

Ok, So disclaimer.... 

Got a message from the Moderators. I want to make clear, I am not challenging this decision in any way.  Please read the full comment before jumping to conclusions.

Here is the gist without any names of who wrote it.  I am putting this here because they deserve Kudos, big time.....

START QUOTE

"I have left this as only a warning because the post you made came out of an honest frustration. We all get there in the game, myself included. What matters is how we respond to that. LIfe outside the game is pretty uncertain and some of that stress gets in to us and changes how we experience the game. We don't see the players personally, don't feel that they necessarily are in a similar state, even on the 'red team'. We only see ourselves as not being in control of the situation. 

You have started a conversation that might actually end up helping with this, even though the means you used were wrong. I'm going to leave it us (minus the stuff you put in there that violates the rules), and see where it leads."  END QUOTE

The violations were the Screenshots being used as reference evidence to provide proof of what I was saying...  I understand the reason why, especially since previous posts I have made on the board have made clear how strongly I oppose the act of Shaming.

I want everyone, including all Moderators on this site to know something. This is the first time I have received feedback from anyone connected to wargaming, whether as an employee or volunteer, that has not been dismissing or accusational much less admitting that yes this is an ongoing issue in the game...  HOW AMAZING IS THAT!??  The vast majority of us try to follow the rules, we are here because we want to see Warships survive and succeed.  We dont want the things we want to enjoy to be destroyed...  If there was less in the way of blind dismissals coming from Wargaming then maybe the community will calm down a bit, and then perhaps we can work together to make things better as a whole.  That's how capitalism works, people of different mindsets exercising individual choices to fill needs and improve quality of their experience by their own volition.  It takes at least two to work.

My sincerest thanks to the Moderator who contacted me..  You know who you are, and perhaps you will share this with others higher up the chain.  There are many of us that want to help as you said, but the first step starts with understanding. 

• Cool 1

Members
250 posts
519 battles
14 hours ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

but if your entire team melts all at once and all that is left is you against eight other players you can kiss your butt goodbye!

Never been in this situation, but is 5 against 1 any different?

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
3 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Never been in this situation, but is 5 against 1 any different?

Not really, if you are a tier 8 and its three tier 10 cruisers with more guns and at least three times the reload of your Battleship, a DD and a CV.  

Just got off the game...  Was in 5 straight matches, all double up tiered to tier 10...  The last one was a win, but only because I pinned down three ships after wiping a Georgia that showed its wide backside to my bismarck at 7km.  I ended up getting crossfired because even though we had their entire team pushed into a back corner out of all four of the caps, everyone was wanting to hide behind an island and not get their paint scratched.  The entire round was pretty much myself, a Cruiser, and all of the DD's  in the last half of the game. 

I had one other scrape by win, but the others were losses due to bad teams.  Players not knowing how to play their ships, running at the first sign of incoming fire,  Refusing to support team mates when called out.  Garbage players... The round before the 5 was in a cossack, and that team was possibly the worst of the bunch.  

[LEG13]
[LEG13]
Members
42 posts
14 minutes ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

I ended up getting crossfired because even though we had their entire team pushed into a back corner out of all four of the caps, everyone was wanting to hide behind an island and not get their paint scratched.

This!!!!  This this this.  I have been playing for quite a while and this was very much a top tier thing back in the day.  Now it has become an all tier thing, from tier V - X.  Back in the day I would just go to a lower tier and brawl like crazy.  Now there is no such thing.  Low tier or high tier it is a hide/retreat fest.

I get so frustrated when we have a 5 to 3 advantage at a cap and no one will push forward and bully the reds. Folks sit behind an island and snipe at the maximum range that is available to them and miss 75% of thier shots.  If no cover is available then they just flat out run to max range of whatever ship they are sailing.  Than when they themselves get pushed and bullied and eventually killed, they complain in chat that the team sucks.  It can be disheartning.

I had 7 games today and out of the seven, five of them we got shoved around and lost because no one wants to get thier pretty paint scratched while I tried to push back.  BB/CL/DD it did not matter what I was playing.  It ended up everyone turns around and flees and leaves me alone.  As I said even when it was 5 to 3 in our favor.  I can turn tail as well if I am low HP and have a few heals to try and get back in the fight.  But to just flat out run away with 90% of my health.............blegh.

The other two games today?  Well we all pushed and while we lost some folks along the way we were victorious.

I do not know how to fix this problem, but if you claim to not see it (either on the giving end or receiving) then yer blind.  People are people I guess but this mindset is killing the fun for me.  I just want to fight, not sit for 10 minutes behind an island to eventually get rolled by 4 ships or run to the border of the map hoping to make it to then end of a 20 min match.

"Hey we lost but I was not killed"  A loser mentality IMO.  I know, I know lets just play for fun.  I am ALL FOR THAT.  Hey also I know sometimes the other guys are just better.  I can handle that when I see it, and will say so in chat, but I just cant stand the current run and hide meta that I see most days.

Rant over :)

[WOLFD]
Members
420 posts
3,394 battles
18 hours ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

Now I'm saying this not as someone claiming to the best..  I'm a happy average. 

Yet you're calling out bad players/garbage player/potatoes. sounds pretty elitist to me. calling out someone based on throwing a match is one thing, calling someone out based on "not being gud" is petty. There's only one thing all of your losses have in common. You.

[BABS]
Members
239 posts
20 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Yet you're calling out bad players/garbage player/potatoes. sounds pretty elitist to me. calling out someone based on throwing a match is one thing, calling someone out based on "not being gud" is petty. There's only one thing all of your losses have in common. You.

There is a difference..  I'm very understanding when it comes to new players who dont understand the game.. They generally want to learn..  

The problem are the players who you try to get to work with you, but constantly spam the negative F2 reply the entire match.  This is the Russian Battleship that sits behind the closest island he can get to at the start of the match, so close you can see his guns will not fire over it...  This is the 7 ships that try to sail back and forth along the B and C lines on the map while 4 team members actually try to play.   This is the three DD's that try to hide behind a Battleship In the same square even though there was no CV in that particular round when they should have been out spotting for him.  

Those are garbage players, and a lot of what I have seen lately..  The difference between innocence and ignorance is a choice...  When you have the opportunity to obtain knowledge but refuse to, then that falls on you for actively making that choice..  I do not blame, nor do I hold anger for people trying to learn the game.  The problem stems from those who are intentionally choosing to make things miserable for everyone else that gets stuck with them.  If you dont understand this, there is nothing I can do to change that..  Same as how I cant force you to understand that this is a team game, not an individual accomplishment station.  Perhaps someday Wargaming will add in a competitive 1v1 mode and then a loss will be attributed to the solo player... That is not how World of Warships works now however, and your attempt at hypocrisy falls flat.