Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dmich89

Stricter punishment for AFK

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

27
[BERYL]
Members
8 posts
2,062 battles

Can we actually get punishments for going AFK during ranked battles? Ive had a not insignificant number of people be AFK the entire match, which practically guarantees a loss when it's 7v7. Why is there no punishment? We all know the report AFK does absolutely nothing. Other games punish this by locking out the game mode with progressively longer punishment times. 

  • Cool 13
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,165
[SALVO]
Members
3,435 posts
3,305 battles
1 minute ago, Dmich89 said:

Can we actually get punishments for going AFK during ranked battles? Ive had a not insignificant number of people be AFK the entire match, which practically guarantees a loss when it's 7v7. Why is there no punishment? We all know the report AFK does absolutely nothing. Other games punish this by locking out the game mode with progressively longer punishment times. 

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702
[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles

I doubt WG would ever increase the penalty for going AFK in Ranked battles, but I'd be all for it, or at least progressively increased penalties for repeat offenders. Four of my first seven games in ranked had AFK players, three on my team and one on the opponents team. All four were losses. Since then, I've only played a few (three maybe?) games and I just can't be bothered anymore. I'm no unicum so I can't reliably carry dead weight on top of teammate mistakes, not that I can do that consistently either. :Smile_hiding:

The steel would be nice, but I'll likely just stick to Ranked Sprint going forward, unless I 'git gudder'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[WOLF9]
Members
303 posts
7,801 battles

I know even in co op it takes forever to load in. Been over 3 mins on some matches.  No excuses for AFK, but sometimes the game doesn’t let you load in. 

  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[KERMT]
Members
905 posts
13,204 battles
24 minutes ago, Dmich89 said:

Can we actually get punishments for going AFK during ranked battles? Ive had a not insignificant number of people be AFK the entire match, which practically guarantees a loss when it's 7v7. Why is there no punishment? We all know the report AFK does absolutely nothing. Other games punish this by locking out the game mode with progressively longer punishment times. 

+1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[ISGC]
Members
122 posts
15,826 battles

sometimes people don't load in, or get disconnected. It's not like they load the game, and are like "oh n/m lemme go make a sandwich instead".

 

I do agree tho that in at least ranked there should be a timeout for say 3-5 battles (which would allow you to do it in coop) that if you dont afk you're good again.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,512
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,699 posts
14,007 battles
15 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

I know even in co op it takes forever to load in. Been over 3 mins on some matches.  No excuses for AFK, but sometimes the game doesn’t let you load in. 

This ^ Since you get no experience if you do nothing the people that are not loading in are not doing it on purpose. One thing that will help a lot is having an SSD or NVMe drive for the OS and the game because the game loads a lot of information when loading into a match.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702
[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This ^ Since you get no experience if you do nothing the people that are not loading in are not doing it on purpose. One thing that will help a lot is having an SSD or NVMe drive for the OS and the game because the game loads a lot of information when loading into a match.

I understand this and that's why I don't think one AFK should warrant beheading or a permanent ban, but after multiple transgressions the penalty should get stiffer. Having said that, if people routinely have trouble loading in then that raises two issues. 1. Why continue to do so at the cost of your teammates. 2. Wargaming should do something more to help alleviate the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,512
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,699 posts
14,007 battles
4 minutes ago, Brohk said:

I understand this and that's why I don't think one AFK should warrant beheading or a permanent ban, but after multiple transgressions the penalty should get stiffer. Having said that, if people routinely have trouble loading in then that raises two issues. 1. Why continue to do so at the cost of your teammates. 2. Wargaming should do something more to help alleviate the issue. 

After enough no loads the player gets orange status where they have to clear it off in co-op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341
[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
530 posts
11,934 battles

If you go AFK you turn pink.  If you keep going AFK you turn orange and are stuck in Co-op.  What more do you need?  Even though you might have seen a lot of AFK I bet it wasn't the same person.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,040
[YORHA]
Members
4,845 posts
9,586 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Andy said:

If you go AFK you turn pink.  If you keep going AFK you turn orange and are stuck in Co-op.  What more do you need?  Even though you might have seen a lot of AFK I bet it wasn't the same person.

 

Nope.  If you have moved even a little and then go AFK there is no pinkness in your  immediate future.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341
[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
530 posts
11,934 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Nope.  If you have moved even a little and then go AFK there is no pinkness in your  immediate future.

How often do you see people move a little and go Afk?  People arent getting into matches to go AFK on purpose.  Every once in awhile someone has a real life emergency and has to leave in the middle of the game.  It definitely doesn't happen enough to do anything more than what happens now.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Nope.  If you have moved even a little and then go AFK there is no pinkness in your  immediate future.

Is that even true?  Being TKed early enough gives you the AFK penalty so I'd assume this isn't true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,299 posts
1,286 battles
3 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I know even in co op it takes forever to load in. Been over 3 mins on some matches.  No excuses for AFK, but sometimes the game doesn’t let you load in. 

You should really upgrade your computer if this happens to you consistently.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
21 posts

I was playing today and went afk. A lightning storm rolled through and we lost power for about a half hour. I need to be punished severely.   As we all know some afk's are intentional and some are not.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORCH]
Members
561 posts
13,578 battles
2 hours ago, rjpyro said:

I was playing today and went afk. A lightning storm rolled through and we lost power for about a half hour. I need to be punished severely.   As we all know some afk's are intentional and some are not.

...and there's no way to know which are which.  My guess is that the vast majority were not intended.  I've been AFK a few times.  I'll bet anyone who's been playing the game for any amount of time has.  Thunderstorms happen.  Computer and internet glitches happen.  The pot on the stove boils over.  The kid falls down, hits his head, and is bleeding on the carpet.  Wife needs you RiGHT NOW (and no, you can't just tell her to wait.  Married guys will understand this...assuming they've stayed married very long).

Yes, I know it's really annoying, especially in ranked, when one of your team is AFK.  But ship happens.  Play the best game you can and move on.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,030 posts
7 hours ago, Dmich89 said:

Can we actually get punishments for going AFK during ranked battles? Ive had a not insignificant number of people be AFK the entire match, which practically guarantees a loss when it's 7v7. Why is there no punishment? We all know the report AFK does absolutely nothing. Other games punish this by locking out the game mode with progressively longer punishment times. 

You having been playing WOWs for four months and still don't get this ...

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,040
[YORHA]
Members
4,845 posts
9,586 battles
3 hours ago, ASoberRussian said:

Is that even true?  Being TKed early enough gives you the AFK penalty so I'd assume this isn't true.

Then you would be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
187 posts
1,318 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

My guess is that the vast majority were not intended.  I've been AFK a few times.  I'll bet anyone who's been playing the game for any amount of time has.  Thunderstorms happen.  Computer and internet glitches happen.  The pot on the stove boils over.  The kid falls down, hits his head, and is bleeding on the carpet.  Wife needs you RiGHT NOW (and no, you can't just tell her to wait.  Married guys will understand this...assuming they've stayed married very long).

Absolutely this. I'd even go as far as to say that the percentage of intentional AFKs is vanishingly small. Every time I've had an AFK issue it's been due to things like power outages or internet connection issues (quickly followed by much cursing and frantic attempts to log back in). Wargaming realizes this, which is why they likely (and rightly) aren't going to introduce severe punishments for it.

Also, as a married man I can confirm that failure to respond immediately to an urgent wife request* will quickly lead to punishments far more unpleasant than anything WG can impose.

* They're all urgent.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
5 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Then you would be wrong.

I'ma go ahead and stick with my initial hypothesis here chief.  I highly doubt the afk mechanisms that cause the tked to get pink are fooled by pressing w for 3 seconds.  You got a post or picture in anyway disproving this I'd be glad to see it but for now I'm going to rely on my ancedote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[NEMO]
Members
105 posts
10,416 battles
14 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I know even in co op it takes forever to load in. Been over 3 mins on some matches.  No excuses for AFK, but sometimes the game doesn’t let you load in. 

As you know, on start the turrets try to make the aim point. If you see someone whose turrets did not try to line up with line of sight when the game starts, that ship has not loaded in. It would not be the players fault in that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,796
[PVE]
Members
11,510 posts
22,446 battles
16 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I know even in co op it takes forever to load in. Been over 3 mins on some matches.  No excuses for AFK, but sometimes the game doesn’t let you load in. 

That or it crashes and that can take 10+ minutes to get back in as you have to reload the game and log back in before it takes you to the game.

I am all for punishing intentional AFK but how do you tell it was intentional and not the game crashing or the person's internet going down or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,796
[PVE]
Members
11,510 posts
22,446 battles
8 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Then you would be wrong.

Exiting a game while you are still alive (intentional or not) even if you have been moving and fighting gives an AFK penalty. 

 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×