You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Enemy Health bars should be removed.

29 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles

I think that enemy health bars should be removed as it gives an unfair advantage to the team targeting them to know how damaged they have or who to focus first.

Its not very good if you are on the receiving end of this kind of focused fire.

Definitely players would approach certain ships with much more caution if they couldnt see how damaged they were and this would increase skilled game play I would hope and reduce yolo moves as going in against a bismark on full health (or health you think is full with no health bar) is different to going against a bismark that has a known 100 hit points left.

In turn it would also lead the team to communicate more on what certain ships damage is to effect strategy to sink them, like if they have used damage con or if they have taken  floods and repaired etc.

I know its a game and you dont see enemy health bars in real life but removing the health bars would make the game more interesting.  Possibly WG wont do this as a consequence it would possibly slow the game down, but i think it would be great and make all players more wary on the attack.

perhaps a trial in the next or subsequent patch to gauge how the game play goes and how effective/non effective it is.    There are always people that would complain on it but it would be interesting to see different results as a baseline

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Funny 5
  • Sad 3
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 16

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles

Appreciate your suggestions.  But this is game. Filled with non team oriented players (most of the time).  Ergo, it won't work.

Why? 

8 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

Definitely players would approach certain ships with much more caution

Imagine battleships holding the rear, even further than their spawn grids/rear.  No, that is horrible thing to witness.  Camping/sniping battleships are not as useful as the ones tanking.  At least the enemy focus is being taken away from others.  Allowing your team or you to use that time to manuever.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles

Camping/sniping battleships  wont change, its a modus operandi of Battleships unfortunately, health bars or not but not every ship in the game sits at the very back and even some BB do move closer to the battle so i think its a good idea to have no health bars.  I think if people couldnt see health bars it would make people more courageous. but thats just me.

Edited by DevilD0g

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,502 posts
20,297 battles

I'm for keeping them. The damage is visible and your team should have this intel. The only really "bad" thing about health bars is that everyone wants to be the one who puts the target away so other red ships have a break and, if competent, can start picking your ships off without much worry.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,770 posts
12,970 battles

Three member divisions will be OP.  -- even more than they are now.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts

I played a game like that. I think it was a first person shooter.
Players complained that in real life, people don't run around with health bars over their heads.
The devs removed the health bars. Didn't change anything in the game.
But the Time To Kill woulda been faster. Might make a difference in this game.

Members
256 posts
15,691 battles

Since that sort of thing would be trivial to mod up, it'd have a disproportionate impact on new players. Not ideal.

[SVF]
Members
1,582 posts
1,871 battles
47 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I think that enemy health bars should be removed as it gives an unfair advantage to the team targeting them to know how damaged they have or who to focus first. 

Both sides can do the same thing, so imo this "HP bars give an unfair advantage" stance is a flawed premise from its very conception.

• Cool 1

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,655 battles

This is interesting for sure. I think others have mentioned good reasons why it wouldn't work, but nice things that could happen if this were implemented would be:

• a need to communicate more (perhaps give div'ing up more of an advantage)
  • maybe bring in more damaged skins to indicate ship health

That's a pretty drastic change to the game. I'd be interested to see what a closed test and beta session would bring as far as results. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,339 posts
6,720 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

Definitely players would approach certain ships with much more caution if they couldnt see how damaged they were and this would increase skilled game play I would hope and reduce yolo moves as going in against a bismark on full health (or health you think is full with no health bar) is different to going against a bismark that has a known 100 hit points left.

In turn it would also lead the team to communicate more on what certain ships damage is to effect strategy to sink them, like if they have used damage con or if they have taken  floods and repaired etc.

I know its a game and you dont see enemy health bars in real life but removing the health bars would make the game more interesting.  Possibly WG wont do this as a consequence it would possibly slow the game down, but i think it would be great and make all players more wary on the attack.

perhaps a trial in the next or subsequent patch to gauge how the game play goes and how effective/non effective it is.    There are always people that would complain on it but it would be interesting to see different results as a baseline

I'll go one better..not only the HP number but the name of the ship type as well.  The player would have to scan the horizon and then guess the ships ID like looking up a ship in "JANES Fighting Ships"  But..these ideas ain't gonna happen....WG wants to "Churn" the battles as fast as it can which  means faster revenue completion.  

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,731 posts
20,987 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

I played a game like that. I think it was a first person shooter.
Players complained that in real life, people don't run around with health bars over their heads.
The devs removed the health bars. Didn't change anything in the game.
But the Time To Kill woulda been faster. Might make a difference in this game.

Im for that and would also like it if teams knew nothing about the opposing team's composition until enemy ships are spotted. Then they are added to the enemy roster and remain there even if they become dark again.  

Screams from those who use XVM. 

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,521 posts
4,131 battles

not in favor of this at all. Focusing the lower health ships is a valuable strategy. Sure it sucks being focused but hey, its part of the game and you can work around it. 

[SYN]
Members
8,232 posts
13,887 battles

This game is too arcadey for such a thing, though it is fun to imagine a more realistic/hardcore mode without health bars, relying on smoke, listing, and other visible damage to judge who is the weak ship. 

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:
  • a need to communicate more (perhaps give div'ing up more of an advantage)
  • maybe bring in more damaged skins to indicate ship health

Valid suggestions.  Here's the draw back I first sensed.  

The communication part will be regionally segmented.  NA for the most part has the most active in game chats (when comparing with EU servers).  Which I appreciate (tactics or otherwise).  I can't imagine the actual chat box being used effectively with non native English speakers (English being the international language).  If WG really wanted us to communicate at a more effective methods.  They would have added or altered the current short command key descriptions. 

As for the damage skins.  This will only reward the players with the mid-high to max settings PCs.  As most of the players in regions other than NA (Asia, EU) do play the game from the internet cafes/game cafes believe it or not.  Going with the trend of having the latest, and the greatest graphics of the moment will significantly reduce the online activities globally for the aforementioned reason alone.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,699 posts
14,007 battles

If this was a sim I would agree but this is arcade with a veneer of history.

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles
2 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

You start a thread about ships camping/hiding now in another thread you suggest a change that by your own words "Definitely players would approach certain ships with much more caution".

I strongly disagree.

[ICBM]
Members
7 posts
5,091 battles
Just now, dionkraft said:

I'll go one better..not only the HP number but the name of the ship type as well.  The player would have to scan the horizon and then guess the ships ID like looking up a ship in "JANES Fighting Ships"  But..these ideas ain't gonna happen....WG wants to "Churn" the battles as fast as it can which  means faster revenue completion.  

Hey, I like that! The minimap could just show radar "blips" (plus maybe some bogeys?) that any player could flag as a DD/BB/etc and specific ship type as identification firms up. Further changes could be made subsequently to correct early mis-identifications. It would add a whole new level to the scouting game.

I also like relying on visual damage to estimate how battered a ship is; it would certainly add an element of judgement to the proceedings!

Unfortunately, I can't see any of it happening; most players seem to prefer the game "arcade-y", but I would have a blast with that game!

[-VT-]
Members
769 posts
23,922 battles

If you do this then you would have to dis-allow all mods as well, because many of them give you info that would not be present to the naked eye.  Since that's not happening we can just file this one away, in my opinion.

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,655 battles
26 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Valid suggestions.  Here's the draw back I first sensed.  

The communication part will be regionally segmented.  NA for the most part has the most active in game chats (when comparing with EU servers).  Which I appreciate (tactics or otherwise).  I can't imagine the actual chat box being used effectively with non native English speakers (English being the international language).  If WG really wanted us to communicate at a more effective methods.  They would have added or altered the current short command key descriptions. 

As for the damage skins.  This will only reward the players with the mid-high to max settings PCs.  As most of the players in regions other than NA (Asia, EU) do play the game from the internet cafes/game cafes believe it or not.  Going with the trend of having the latest, and the greatest graphics of the moment will significantly reduce the online activities globally for the aforementioned reason alone.

Indeed, I was just trying to expand on what could be. I wonder if this good be its own clan league or something. Like a realism mode. But regardless, good points m8.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,005 posts
11,710 battles
2 hours ago, Khafni said:

I'm for keeping them. The damage is visible and your team should have this intel. The only really "bad" thing about health bars is that everyone wants to be the one who puts the target away so other red ships have a break and, if competent, can start picking your ships off without much worry.

Yup. Well stated.

• Cool 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles
48 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

When we had the bismark competition and then win the bismark with the bismark skins.  One of the skins showed the bismark to be damaged.  After using the damaged skins for a while i stopped using them as it showed me damaged from the start of the game and so I was targeted more than usual i worked out over time so i put it back to the default skin.   Just a thought.  If people think you are damaged by your skin your focussed more.

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
3 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

If people think you are damaged by your skin your focussed more.

Very true.  I actually use that very camo more.  Well to be precise the old green algae monster camo skin via an event.  I actually use such skins to gain an advantage (no matter how minuscule it may seem).  Smoke stack being one of them.

[WOLF4]
Members
451 posts
6,965 battles
3 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

That would not work. At all.

[SYN]
Members
15,729 posts
12,778 battles

It wouldn't hurt to have a "Realistic" mode, even if it is most likely going to be limited to training room.