You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

What to do about gross misbehavior?

20 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
557 posts
13,503 battles

Ok, I've lived on this planet long enough that nothing surprises me anymore.  At least, that's what I thought.  But I just had something happen in a ranked game that proved me wrong.  I was running my Hipper, and there was this Benson on our team.  Mr. Benson was pink, which normally wouldn't matter, but in this case it matters a lot.  Benson and I spawned closest to one cap, and we both headed there.  We took the cap almost unopposed.  I started dueling at relatively long range with a red CL and BB.  Abut mid-game, I noticed they seemed to be abandoning my side of the map, so I turned to push into the next cap.  Only thing down there was a red Edinburgh, sitting in his smoke, and our Benson, sitting in his own smoke.  I decided to use Benson's smoke to cover my approach.  I was 1 or 2 klicks away from him when suddenly he fires his guns at me.  At that range, of course he hits.  I'm thinking some sort of stupid accident, then he does it again, and again.  He accelerated away still firing at me, then emptied his torpedo tubes at me.  I turned so hard I damn near capsized, and avoided all but one of them.  He continues running away, but stops firing.  I curse, and turn my attention to the Edinburgh.  Edinburgh runs, and disappears behind an island.  Nothing in sight, but then I get hit by a salvo of shells from behind me.  Yeah, the Benson has turned back around and is firing on me again.  It takes a lot to actually make me mad, but by now I'm getting close.  There being no red targets in sight at the moment, I vote for self-preservation and, for the first time in my life, I intentionally fire at a team mate.  The Benson goes down.  I got sunk a bit later on and, with this sort of insanity on our team, it's no surprise we lost.

Based on the fact that he was already pink, and based also on his in-game name (which I will not mention because, you know...) it's pretty clear this guy makes a habit of this.

Of course, I reported the guy.  And I've already sent the replay to WG.  But the incident caused me to wonder a couple of things.

First, the mechanics of teamkill penalties.  When I checked the post-battle results, I discovered that, although I had indeed put two shells into Benson, and he had died, I did NOT receive a teamkill penalty.  In fact, the results indicated Benson had been "destroyed by teamkill penalty".  And his score showed -1 kills.   I didn't even know that was possible, but I can't help but wish it had killed him sooner.  So does anyone understand how this teamkill penalty works?

Second...well, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something like this, and how you would handle it.  Normally, I'd say just keep fighting the reds, but this was SO bad, so blatant, and so prolonged...where would you draw the line and shoot back?

'

Edited by Midshipman_Hornblower
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,566 posts
17,903 battles

If you'd just let his salvo of torpedoes hit, the damage would've reflected back on him instead and he'd have been upgraded from pink to coop only.

As for what to do? Send in a ticket with the replay to support.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Members
12,945 posts

Since he was already pink, he wouldn't damage you beyond maybe the initial hit and instead all damage would be reflected onto him leaving you unscathed. He died from this reflected damage and is why he had a negative kill count as he tked himself essentially.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
3,944 posts
16,795 battles

Since he was "pink" to begin with, any damage he does to his team is reflected as a "team kill penalty".....  Any damage to include bumping each other; let alone, shooting each other.  It could have made him receive even harsher penalties.  Maybe he figured, "in for a penny, in for a pound" and that didn't bother him because he's use to it????   Some people simply could care less because this is "just a F2P arcade game...."  

Yes, games bring out the worst in people.  People have been saying that since the 70's !!!  The truth is, games "do affect people's root behaviors" because of the depth of involvement and immersion into perceived negative activities......  Heck, this topic was just on the evening news the other night......again.  Is still being discussed in the US House of Representatives.........and..............you get the idea.  

[RKLES]
Members
12,439 posts
14,145 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you'd just let his salvo of torpedoes hit, the damage would've reflected back on him instead and he'd have been upgraded from pink to coop only.

As for what to do? Send in a ticket with the replay to support.

Yeah if the allied ship is pink, you are essentially immune to any damage dealt against you. Which is one of the smart and  merciful things WG has done for rule following players.

[NSEW]
Members
1,748 posts
10,379 battles

There are newbies, and there are wanna be newbies.  Either way, you'll encounter oddballs during battles in all types of battles online.  Consider them as a limited experience, and just move on to your next fun battle.

:)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles
17 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

There are newbies, and there are wanna be newbies.

It's a hard sell that someone who has worked his way into a Benson is any type of newbie.

• Cool 2

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Ok, I've lived on this planet long enough that nothing surprises me anymore.  At least, that's what I thought.  But I just had something happen in a ranked game that proved me wrong.  I was running my Hipper, and there was this Benson on our team.  Mr. Benson was pink, which normally wouldn't matter, but in this case it matters a lot.  Benson and I spawned closest to one cap, and we both headed there.  We took the cap almost unopposed.  I started dueling at relatively long range with a red CL and BB.  Abut mid-game, I noticed they seemed to be abandoning my side of the map, so I turned to push into the next cap.  Only thing down there was a red Edinburgh, sitting in his smoke, and our Benson, sitting in his own smoke.  I decided to use Benson's smoke to cover my approach.  I was 1 or 2 klicks away from him when suddenly he fires his guns at me.  At that range, of course he hits.  I'm thinking some sort of stupid accident, then he does it again, and again.  He accelerated away still firing at me, then emptied his torpedo tubes at me.  I turned so hard I damn near capsized, and avoided all but one of them.  He continues running away, but stops firing.  I curse, and turn my attention to the Edinburgh.  Edinburgh runs, and disappears behind an island.  Nothing in sight, but then I get hit by a salvo of shells from behind me.  Yeah, the Benson has turned back around and is firing on me again.  It takes a lot to actually make me mad, but by now I'm getting close.  There being no red targets in sight at the moment, I vote for self-preservation and, for the first time in my life, I intentionally fire at a team mate.  The Benson goes down.  I got sunk a bit later on and, with this sort of insanity on our team, it's no surprise we lost.

Based on the fact that he was already pink, and based also on his in-game name (which I will not mention because, you know...) it's pretty clear this guy makes a habit of this.

Of course, I reported the guy.  And I've already sent the replay to WG.  But the incident caused me to wonder a couple of things.

First, the mechanics of teamkill penalties.  When I checked the post-battle results, I discovered that, although I had indeed put two shells into Benson, and he had died, I did NOT receive a teamkill penalty.  In fact, the results indicated Benson had been "destroyed by teamkill penalty".  And his score showed -1 kills.   I didn't even know that was possible, but I can't help but wish it had killed him sooner.  So does anyone understand how this teamkill penalty works?

Second...well, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something like this, and how you would handle it.  Normally, I'd say just keep fighting the reds, but this was SO bad, so blatant, and so prolonged...where would you draw the line and shoot back?

'

Guys playing bensons are not newbies at tier 8 non premium.  They grinded to that position and know the deal..  In game reporting does F all. If you shoot at him even if you dont sink him your judged by wg to be just as bad, or equally as bad if  you get a -1 penalty or sinking a member of  your own team, its not a positive kill (enemy).  Next time dont fire back and just document it and to get anyhing done You have to put in a support ticket on this guy before they will do anything. and explain it all to them with a replay.  Posting on the forum, while it vents your spleen , you cant name and shame the guy here  as its against forum posting rules so its really non productive.  Its something I have done in the past with banning results.  Good luck with that instead hornblower.

Edited by DevilD0g

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,294 posts
14,494 battles

Sorry that happened. It’s happened to about everyone who has been playing any length of time. I follow the same path you did. I’m pretty easy going unless attacked then it’s all bets are off. I take my medicine when I do, not anything to brag about. Unfortunately just the downside of having a temper.

• Cool 2

[NSEW]
Members
1,748 posts
10,379 battles
38 minutes ago, Umikami said:

It's a hard sell that someone who has worked his way into a Benson is any type of newbie.

Granted, but there are many players that "grinded" to tier 10s without any productive/usable experience in the game. 

[OIL-1]
Members
907 posts

He was probably just doing his job. Trolling pays good money on utoob.

Members
2,885 posts
5,525 battles
51 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Well, as an example... Some people are 48 years old. And some people have just been twelve years old four times.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Members
852 posts
9,620 battles

I was once rammed by a low-health pink destroyer on my team (accidentally I believe) who sank.  Just the same, the post battle results showed his destruction as “team kill penalty” and I was not punished for it.

[NEMO]
Members
452 posts
1,310 battles

I dont do ranked, but I get that all the time, in coop or random the rare times I go random, if the whole team id going into one big corral and you don't do what they want they will shoot at you, then if you say soo much as "thanks a**hole" your the bad person

• Meh 1

[CHBK]
Members
598 posts
2,888 battles

I use all of my reports for the day on that one player.

My div and I were playing last week.  DD was just shadowing my buddy and wouldn't advance past him, my buddy in a BB slowed down to let the DD get ahead, DD slowed down with him, finally my buddy just stopped.  DD pulls along side and dumps torps into my buddy.  It was some sort of magical karma that enemy shima torps just popped up and killed said DD (and protected my buddy from the shima torps).  I just reported him as much as I could, no idea wth he was doing.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,676 posts
17,478 battles
On 7/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Only one time in my 15K games do I recall a someone intentionally shooting me multiple times.  Their chat made it obvious, as they felt I had stolen a kill.  So they shoot at me, torp me.  What do i do?  Keep fighting the red.  Do what I can to win the game.  

Despite claims to the contrary, the penalty system in WOWS is very good. It doesn't overtly hurt you when you unintentionally damage or TK someone here or there (I've been on both sides of that equation).  But for anyone who makes it their job to TK , the reflected damage kicks in and they sink themselves.  Just do your job against the reds, and let the TK system handle griefers.

Think of it this way.  Once they are past a certain point, they aren't shooting YOU.  They are literally shooting themselves.  Let them kill themselves.

• Cool 2

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,815 posts
13,283 battles
On 7/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

'

In the future when this stuff happens, PLEASE ignore them and just submit a ticket with the replay attached.

After some TK damage (especially when pink) the damage that would be dealt to you would be dealt on the offender to the point they would TK themselves, if they keep that up they will be relegated to COOP only and if they do it further they will go orange and be stuck in coop for some time.

But yeah, please do not return fire.

-Hapa

[YORHA]
Members
4,841 posts
9,566 battles
44 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

In the future when this stuff happens, PLEASE ignore them and just submit a ticket with the replay attached.

After some TK damage (especially when pink) the damage that would be dealt to you would be dealt on the offender to the point they would TK themselves, if they keep that up they will be relegated to COOP only and if they do it further they will go orange and be stuck in coop for some time.

But yeah, please do not return fire.

-Hapa

So, just to get this straight, you are saying we should send replays to WGCS? 

Because the response you get when you do leads me to think they rely solely on the in-game system and don't really bother with them.

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,815 posts
13,283 battles
36 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

So, just to get this straight, you are saying we should send replays to WGCS? 

Because the response you get when you do leads me to think they rely solely on the in-game system and don't really bother with them.

Just because you get a standard response it does NOT mean we are not taking action. It is our policy to not discuss our moderation and how we are handling things.

That being said, we look at a players history, if they have excessive violations we DO take care of them.

-Hapa

• Cool 2

[TORCH]
Members
557 posts
13,503 battles
16 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Just because you get a standard response it does NOT mean we are not taking action. It is our policy to not discuss our moderation and how we are handling things.

That being said, we look at a players history, if they have excessive violations we DO take care of them.

-Hapa

That surprises me, @Hapa_Fodder.  I DID send the replay to WG, and the response I got back pretty clearly stated that you rely strictly on your automated system.  It did not say ANYTHING about taking any other action.  In fact, it clearly said you would not.  If that automated message is wrong, I suggest you rework the wording so it says what you really mean, because based on the message I got back, I had decided that if anything similar ever happened in the future, I wouldn't bother to send in a replay, because it would have no effect whatsoever.  I don't mind that it's an automated message, as long as it's clear, and it says what you really mean.