You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rex_Dart_Eskimo_Spy

So is Azur Lane

70 comments in this topic

Members
10 posts
3,165 battles

a searing anime expose of the excesses of an out-of-control breast enhancement clinic? Or are they attempting to represent some secret emergency flotation bladders aboard the Azuma?

Or the Littorio?

Or the Roon?

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles

I dunno, a plane telling you to grab your busty anime waifu in the event of an emergency might be fun. 

That said, it makes sense. The subs have none, so they sink!

[HKC]
Members
569 posts

Whatever it is it sure isn't sexually exploitative or  symptomatic of men trapped in a consumer-culture  prison of eternal pubescence.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles
2 hours ago, Rex_Dart_Eskimo_Spy said:

a searing anime expose of the excesses of an out-of-control breast enhancement clinic? Or are they attempting to represent some secret emergency flotation bladders aboard the Azuma?

Or the Littorio?

Or the Roon?

It very much depends on the artist, since AL has several. Whoever designs the Royal Navy cruisers certainly loves em...large...

In Kantai Collection their 'size' is based on gun size (with Yamato, Musashi and Iowa being the biggest), AL does no such sensible options and it's based on which artist likes em that way, you'd think under those rules the Georgia would need a walker, back support and probably reductive surgery (that isn't to say a lot of the girls would at least need a back brace). Compare and Contrast the Warspite and Queen Elizabeth who are drawn by an artist that like em flat.

EJZ2MtjUYAADBQj.jpg

664-6641804_queen-elizabeth-default-retr

Edited by Yandere_Roon
  • Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts
17 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

It very much depends on the artist, since AL has several. Whoever designs the Royal Navy cruisers certainly loves em...large...

In Kantai Collection their 'size' is based on gun size (with Yamato, Musashi and Iowa being the biggest), AL does no such sensible options and it's based on which artist likes em that way, you'd think under those rules the Georgia would need a walker, back support and probably reductive surgery (that isn't to say a lot of the girls would at least need a back brace). Compare and Contrast the Warspite and Queen Elizabeth who are drawn by an artist that like em flat.

EJZ2MtjUYAADBQj.jpg

664-6641804_queen-elizabeth-default-retr

Either way, the artwork is amazing. I'm afraid I really don't understand the storylines to well (I looked at the ARP series when that collab came out), but the HSF and AL haven't been something I've looked into as much).

But the ability and skill to create a lot of the art is fantastic - probably why I like the WH40k and most other things with a mythical/fantasy/futuristic feel. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,400 posts
6,232 battles

i don't care if its sexually exploitative or whatever pretty word you ppl use to look smarter.

if i like the look,i buy it.

• Cool 2

[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
3 hours ago, Rex_Dart_Eskimo_Spy said:

Or the Littorio?

Or the Roon?

Just wait until this guy learns about the preschoolers in the game.

• Cool 3

[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles
41 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Either way, the artwork is amazing. I'm afraid I really don't understand the storylines to well (I looked at the ARP series when that collab came out), but the HSF and AL haven't been something I've looked into as much).

But the ability and skill to create a lot of the art is fantastic - probably why I like the WH40k and most other things with a mythical/fantasy/futuristic feel. :Smile_honoring:

I'd suggest watching the Anime to get a better grip on the overarching storyline though I'm not sure how that fits in with the game since the storyline is essentially Allies vs Axis vs Aliens (maybe) but game wise it's everyone vs Aliens most of the time. Essentially TL:DR version is Germany, Vichy France and Japan have sided against USA, Great Britain, Free France and Soviet Union (aka World War 2) with the Axis using Alien technology whilst the Allies are against the use of it. There is a lot more that would go into massive spoilers about the whole thing.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
10 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

I'd suggest watching the Anime to get a better grip on the overarching storyline though I'm not sure how that fits in with the game since the storyline is essentially Allies vs Axis vs Aliens (maybe) but game wise it's everyone vs Aliens most of the time. Essentially TL:DR version is Germany, Vichy France and Japan have sided against USA, Great Britain, Free France and Soviet Union (aka World War 2) with the Axis using Alien technology whilst the Allies are against the use of it. There is a lot more that would go into massive spoilers about the whole thing.

Why would you ever suggest someone watch that tragedy.  The only redeeming quality is the English dub with it's horrendously amazing German accents.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles

Within this sub-genre of anime', I first watched the Kancolle (Kantai Collection) series and the movie.
Then I watched Girls und Panzer.
Then Strike Witches
Then High School Fleet
Then Azur Lane
And then Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

Each has an interesting story line.
For me, some of them do a really good job of occasionally pointing out some of the situations and emotions that real-life military units and personnel experienced.  That "connected" with me, perhaps because of my own four years in the USMC and having been aboard a few ships for training exercises.
On other occasions it seems the anime' creators are doing their job of creating entertaining situational comedy sketches to contrast with the more dramatic and saving-our-way-of-life-and-who-we-love-from-<insert specific doom here> plot line of the larger story.

For me, it is entertainment and I enjoy it.

There are inside-jokes and sly innuendos that are done within the genre.   But, compared to vintage Bugs Bunny cartoons and other stuff from Warner Brothers and other animation studios, the traditions go back a long way, even if the specific details change and vary somewhat with cultural influences.  Humor is something we have in common, eh?  :-)

[GWG]
Members
6,758 posts
12,939 battles

I don't think they are sexually suggestive.  They will just make wonderful Mother Ships someday.

TitanUranus.jpg

[LLF]
Beta Testers
541 posts
1 hour ago, ASoberRussian said:

Why would you ever suggest someone watch that tragedy.  The only redeeming quality is the English dub with it's horrendously amazing German accents.

Not gonna lie, I gave the anime a shot and I prefer the dub for the sol purpose of this "accent," which made me laugh uncontrollably. Its like they told the actress to come up with their best German bad guy voice.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,729 posts
12,537 battles
4 hours ago, Rex_Dart_Eskimo_Spy said:

Or the Littorio?

Or the Roon?

It’s a hint at the next ship type to hit WoWs:

Pontoon Boats

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Thank you, appreciate the info. :Smile_honoring:

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts
1 hour ago, ASoberRussian said:

I take it that is some anime rivalry? :Smile_hiding::Smile_Default:

[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I take it that is some anime rivalry? :Smile_hiding::Smile_Default:

I don't know what you're referring to here, but I'm also dense so it'd hardly be a surprise if I'm missing something.

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts
4 minutes ago, ASoberRussian said:

I don't know what you're referring to here, but I'm also dense so it'd hardly be a surprise if I'm missing something.

Sorry if I got it wrong. I thought when you said "Why would you ever suggest someone watch that tragedy.  The only redeeming quality is the English dub with it's horrendously amazing German accents." You might be indicating it was inferior to another anime series.

I apologise if I got it wrong and there isn't a Xbox/PS or iPhone/Android type rivalry between anime series; or that just wasn't what you meant. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
Just now, _WaveRider_ said:

Sorry if I got it wrong. I thought when you said "Why would you ever suggest someone watch that tragedy.  The only redeeming quality is the English dub with it's horrendously amazing German accents." You might be indicating it was inferior to another anime series.

I apologise if I got it wrong and there isn't a Xbox/PS or iPhone/Android type rivalry; or that just wasn't what you meant. :Smile_honoring:

Oh.

I guess there's a Kancolle vs Azur Lane rivalry, but anyone who participates in that is just mad that both their animes are complete garbage.

• Funny 2

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts

Oh.

I guess there's a Kancolle vs Azur Lane rivalry, but anyone who participates in that is just mad that both their animes are complete garbage.

Ok, so you believe they aren't worth watching because of the level of cringe lol. Is there something worth viewing or reading that will give a general feel for the different anime (HSF/AL/ARP (although I did watch the ARP one when that collab came out).

And thank you for your help too.

Edit: and I no nothing about Kancolle lol

Edited by _WaveRider_

[PISD]
Members
1,099 posts
4,965 battles

Oh.

Azur Lane still get the best for a simple reason: it do not fall in some Historical rewriting where the US are the bad guys and Japan the good guys. 

• Cool 1

[IDFK]
Members
91 posts
2,769 battles
2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Ok, so you believe they aren't worth watching because of the level of cringe lol. Is there something worth viewing or reading that will give a general feel for the different anime (HSF/AL/ARP (although I did watch the ARP one when that collab came out).

ARP was the only decent anime one.  Issue is all these boat girl anime generally don't have a very strong story from what they're adapting, if they have one at all.  The closest you could get to the general feel for AL is the anime, same with HSF.  Girls Und Panzer is sorta in that genre (well if you end up including HSF it is).  It's the only one I could recommend, but it's effectively anime junk food; 6/10 experience.

I guess you could try some Kancolle fanfiction?  I mean it's fanfiction but I remember some of the stuff linked on discord being well written.  (Kancolle has magic dark ctuhulu versions of boat girls called abyssals.  The abyssals and the almost magic in the setting is the stuff that makes Kancolle stand out and be interesting.  Issue is, next to zero canon material so you're reliant on fan works and third party works.)

• Thanks 1

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts
6 minutes ago, ASoberRussian said:

ARP was the only decent anime one.  Issue is all these boat girl anime generally don't have a very strong story from what they're adapting, if they have one at all.  The closest you could get to the general feel for AL is the anime, same with HSF.  Girls Und Panzer is sorta in that genre (well if you end up including HSF it is).  It's the only one I could recommend, but it's effectively anime junk food; 6/10 experience.

I guess you could try some Kancolle fanfiction?  I mean it's fanfiction but I remember some of the stuff linked on discord being well written.  (Kancolle has magic dark ctuhulu versions of boat girls called abyssals.  The abyssals and the almost magic in the setting is the stuff that makes Kancolle stand out and be interesting.  Issue is, next to zero canon material so you're reliant on fan works and third party works.)

Thank you. :Smile_honoring:

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,924 posts
9,796 battles
20 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

You don't watch these for the story.  You watch them for the plot.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 3

[WOLF8]
Members
7,109 posts
6,095 battles

No no no no, unfortunately, the Azur Lane anime does injustice to the source game on mobile. It's a train wreck, and will probably leave a bad taste in the mouth for anyone looking to get into AL.

It's a half-baked show that tried to do too much in too short of a time slot (only 1 season worth of episodes), hence the story is just a boring mess that barely moves until the end of the show. All the "cameo shots" didn't help either, since there're tons of ship girls to cover in such limited time space. They should've just picked one plot and focused on that, instead of trying to juggle a main plot, plus 2 sub plots. It literally made no sense at times, went no where at other times, and when things finally started moving the show was basically over.

The whole point of the show was (1) a fan service to the fans, and (2) generate a new interest for anyone new to AL... and it kinda did okay on 1 but failed spectacularly on 2. It's not a quality show.

If anyone actually enjoyed it, kudos for them. But otherwise, I can't really recommend it.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1