You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Petropavlovsk?

20 comments in this topic

[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles

Am I doing it wrong, or is the Petropavlovsk not all that great?  Yes, the AP is ridiculous up close but I feel like this ship is super vulnerable to HE and takes a crapton of HE pen damage... I feel like I have to play super conservatively for the first half of the match or get smoked, and even then it seems hard to contribute meaningfully. 

Members
23 posts
68 battles

Petro's strength is her AP and tankiness. Other than that everything about her is bad.

Edited by Danhvn

[-VT-]
Members
108 posts
13,769 battles

Guns are extremely flat shooting, hits every rock when island hugging.  Frustrating

[RE]
Beta Testers
236 posts
10,906 battles
On 10/18/2020 at 6:02 AM, Danhvn said:

Petro's strength is her AP and tankiness. Other than that everything about her is bad.

I love when people say one of the most OP ships in the game is "too hard".

[RE]
Beta Testers
236 posts
10,906 battles
On 7/25/2020 at 12:40 AM, Uncle_Lou said:

Am I doing it wrong, or is the Petropavlovsk not all that great?  Yes, the AP is ridiculous up close but I feel like this ship is super vulnerable to HE and takes a crapton of HE pen damage... I feel like I have to play super conservatively for the first half of the match or get smoked, and even then it seems hard to contribute meaningfully. 

The Petro is literally one of the most broken OP ships in the game premium or tech. There is a reason it was getting universally banned during the king of the sea competition.

The ship has 220mm guns which are bigger than most the other heavy cruiser ships which are only 203mm, only the Henry and the goliath have bigger rounds at the heavy cruiser (exluding the battlecruisers). But what is really broken is it has a [edited]obsurd shell velocity of 995m/s which is almost 90m/s higher than other heavy cruisers for it's tier. It can bow pen stallingrads which is ridiculous. By comparison, most of the other heavy cruiser in the game with 203mm guns hover only around the 900m/s range for shot velocity.  So this ship not only has bigger guns, but higher velocity. It's a perfect example of ridiculous fake ship russian bias.

Edited by Sullen_Maximus

[-KIA-]
Members
5,213 posts
14,319 battles

You're not wrong about Petropavlovsk not being fantastic, it excels in few situations compared to Stalingrad and Moskva, those being in coordinated pushes and against carriers.  In those situations it's fantastic though, as it is harder to punish compared to the others.

The Petro is literally one of the most broken OP ships in the game premium or tech. There is a reason it was getting universally banned during the king of the sea competition.

The ship has 220mm guns which are bigger than most the other heavy cruiser ships which are only 203mm, only the Henry and the goliath have bigger rounds at the heavy cruiser (exluding the battlecruisers). But what is really broken is it has a [edited]obsurd shell velocity of 995m/s which is almost 90m/s higher than other heavy cruisers for it's tier. It can bow pen stallingrads which is ridiculous. By comparison, most of the other heavy cruiser in the game with 203mm guns hover only around the 900m/s range for shot velocity.  So this ship not only has bigger guns, but higher velocity. It's a perfect example of ridiculous fake ship russian bias.

Don't listen to this guy he lists all the wrong reasons why Petropavlovsk is strong in King of the Seas.  The guns are the least strong part about Petropavlovsk, its the icing I guess but not the cherry.  The real cherry is the hard to hit profile and squat nature that makes punishing the ship really annoying compared to how high Stalingrad and Moskva sit, making it excel at pushing into crossfires.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[RE]
Beta Testers
236 posts
10,906 battles
1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

You're not wrong about Petropavlovsk not being fantastic, it excels in few situations compared to Stalingrad and Moskva, those being in coordinated pushes and against carriers.  In those situations it's fantastic though, as it is harder to punish compared to the others.

Don't listen to this guy he lists all the wrong reasons why Petropavlovsk is strong in King of the Seas.  The guns are the least strong part about Petropavlovsk, its the icing I guess but not the cherry.  The real cherry is the hard to hit profile and squat nature that makes punishing the ship really annoying compared to how high Stalingrad and Moskva sit, making it excel at pushing into crossfires.

I literally just explained how the guns are that strong are but keep [edited]being a goddamn ostrich with your head in the sand.

Edited by Sullen_Maximus

Members
23 posts
68 battles
8 hours ago, Sullen_Maximus said:

-Petro is widely used in KoTS because she's hard to kill and her stealth radar can counter the mean of spotting from the enemy team. Her mistake punishing ability can make every mistake even small one big.
-17mm bigger guns. That ain't gonna change anything.
-Her shells are faster cause they are 220mm/65  and not 234mm/50 like Goliath or 240/50 like Henri. 
-Any ship in the game can bow pen Stalingrad given enough angle so wdym? She can overmatch? KEKW
-"This ship not only has bigger guns, but higher velocity. It's a perfect example of ridiculous fake ship russian bias." Again, 220mm is no different from 203mm. The only thing left is shell velocity, my Roma has the best shell velocity compare to any other 380mm. That surely make her OP.
-Imagine Russian bias in 2020

[RE]
Beta Testers
236 posts
10,906 battles
2 hours ago, Danhvn said:

-Her mistake punishing ability can make every mistake even small one big.

Because it pens crapthat other heavy cruisers don't.... else does... how the [edited] do you not understand that........

2 hours ago, Danhvn said:

Her shells are faster cause they are 220mm/65  and not 234mm/50 like Goliath or 240/50 like Henri.

Does anyone give a flying crapwhat semantic names wargaming gave to these guns? Just look at that caliber, m/s, damage per round. The name wargaming gives is irrelevant since they can (and do) change the numbers that matter all the time. The petro shells are faster because wargaming said so, nothing more. This entire [edited]ship is made up anyways.

3 hours ago, Danhvn said:

-Any ship in the game can bow pen Stalingrad given enough angle so wdym? She can overmatch? KEKW

What are you talking about. The stalin is notorious for being able to bow tank better than some battleships. the montana only gets 32mm armor at max on the bow but the stalin has 50mm bow belt armor. The issue is that the petro's shot velocity is so [edited]high that it can smash strait through just about everything into deep pens or cits that almost no other heavy cruiser in the game would get.

3 hours ago, Danhvn said:

Roma has the best shell velocity compare to any other 380mm

I've seen the Roma do some nasty things but it isn't as OP because it only has 381mm guns while a lot of t8 battleship at that tier are over 405mm guns.

Members
23 posts
68 battles
2 hours ago, Sullen_Maximus said:

What are you talking about. The stalin is notorious for being able to bow tank better than some battleships. the montana only gets 32mm armor at max on the bow but the stalin has 50mm bow belt armor. The issue is that the petro's shot velocity is so [edited]high that it can smash strait through just about everything into deep pens or cits that almost no other heavy cruiser in the game would get.

no, what are YOU talking about? If Stalin has 50mm bow armor, how tf can a Petro pen it and get to the citadel? If you're saying the Stalin is broadside, even a Marceau can reach her citadel.

2 hours ago, Sullen_Maximus said:

Does anyone give a flying crapwhat semantic names wargaming gave to these guns? Just look at that caliber, m/s, damage per round. The name wargaming gives is irrelevant since they can (and do) change the numbers that matter all the time. The petro shells are faster because wargaming said so, nothing more. This entire [edited]ship is made up anyways

sure, she got higher shell velocity and crazy pen. Then what? Have you considered her accuracy? It's on par with the FR BBs. Also, the ship is spesilised into AP, ofcourse her AP should be good, else it's gonna be Monarch all over again.
WeeGee release an AP cruiser and people crying about the AP, make me wish they unlease even more  HE spammers. 

[WAMMY]
Members
2,604 posts
14,487 battles

Hey

I am not a huge fan of the Petro and it suffers in much the same way that Moskva does.  The guns make it tough to shoot over most islands, the AP ricochets on anything that's not completely broadside and it over pens many times when your fairly close or all lightly armored ships, HE fire starting is very mediocre much of the time (thanks RNG) and she is a very slow ship to change directions/reposition.  She can be very tanky but then that leads to the traditional bow in usage which is BORING, and you are then very susceptible to carriers and while her AA is good, she can get wrecked by AP bombs.  Her radar sucks since you can only get 1, maybe 2 salvo's off before it runs out.  At least Moskva has a better radar.  To be fair, I prefer kiting boats and do much better with the likes of Hindenburg, Venezia or even Yoshino for Clan Battles.  It comes down to what you like, and Petro for me (like Moskva before it) doesn't check the boxes I like.

Pete

[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles
On 10/20/2020 at 5:47 AM, Sullen_Maximus said:

Does anyone give a flying crapwhat semantic names wargaming gave to these guns? Just look at that caliber, m/s, damage per round. The name wargaming gives is irrelevant since they can (and do) change the numbers that matter all the time. The petro shells are faster because wargaming said so, nothing more. This entire [edited]ship is made up anyways.

LOL its not semantics, that's the official historical designation for the guns.  220mm, 65 calibers.  Caliber for naval rifles refers to the length of the rifling in number of shell diameters.  So a 220/65 rifle will have rifling that is 14,300mm (220*65) in length.  Generally rifles of the same diameter shell but greater caliber will have better muzzle velocity and accuracy.  So the shells are faster because physics, not because WG said so.

Again, Petro IMO is not that great.  If you angle against her, you effectively neuter her DPM and there is nothing she can do about it save try to reposition or find another target. 

[RE]
Beta Testers
236 posts
10,906 battles

If the semantic names Wargaming used mattered at all, ships with the same labelled guns, would have the same stats which they don't. It's not even close. wargaming takes the historical crap, then just decide what they want it to be. There was only one prototype for this gun ever made, and it was 985m/s not 990. Moreover, that velocity was measured in a test where they were just stuffing as much gun powder as possible into the thing to see how fast it could go. It's highly suspect of this measured velocity to be anything close to operational velocity as packing that much gunpowder into a gun would significantly reduce the operating life of the gun. There is so little relevant in this the fact you're arguing it is absurd.

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

I don't have Petro - but one absolutely out-gunned me yesterday, in a one on one while I was driving Nevski.

I tried to kite him with HE, and managed to get a few fires, as he aggressively chased me down - but that AP just ate up my HP, despite angling and wiggling.

Petro will definately be my next TX, and will complete my TX cruiser collection.  Gotta see what the hype is about - ha ha!

Members
23 posts
68 battles
9 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I don't have Petro - but one absolutely out-gunned me yesterday, in a one on one while I was driving Nevski.

I tried to kite him with HE, and managed to get a few fires, as he aggressively chased me down - but that AP just ate up my HP, despite angling and wiggling.

Petro will definately be my next TX, and will complete my TX cruiser collection.  Gotta see what the hype is about - ha ha!

All Russian ships are overly hyped anyway.

[GOCRY]
Members
972 posts
On 10/31/2020 at 1:43 PM, ddoubletapp1 said:

I’ve had similar experiences in my Nevsky. The Petro’s armor neuters the Nevsky’s shells, even with IFHE.

The Nevsky can do better at longer range, but then the Petro can just go dark.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles
28 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

I’ve had similar experiences in my Nevsky. The Petro’s armor neuters the Nevsky’s shells, even with IFHE.

The Nevsky can do better at longer range, but then the Petro can just go dark.

Agreed - the Petro and I played a cat and mouse game, through the first half of the match (we were our respective team's farthest flung flankers) - but when he got tired of my long range HE showers and decided to chase me down - I was surprised at how quickly that AP went through my HP pool.

He finished me off, then charged a 2/3 health Repub and came within a few hundred HP of finishing it off as well, before succumbing to DOT secondary fires.

It was an impressive display, for sure.

How do you find IFHE on your Nevski commander?  Does the increased pen make up for the reduced fire chance, on this boat?

[GOCRY]
Members
972 posts

I like it.  It lets me put up consistent damage numbers, which gets BBs to give up their pushes.  However, I haven’t actually tried going without it.  I asked for opinions on the matter a few months back and got zero replies.