fortebx1

From WoT to WoWS Hello world!

12 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
94 battles

Hello peeps! Fortebx here and I am currently new to WoWS since I kind of jump ship(lol punny) from WoT. I felt like it's time to move on from tanks because I simply can't find the enjoyment that I used to get from it (been with the game since Beta. Also I might give it another try if they do something big *cough*introduce the Chieftain Mk6*cough*). So here I am and I got no idea of what to do in game although I do have somewhat two goals:

1. Aiming to get the Iowa for nostalgia reason because back in Navyfield I have the Iowa and it was a blast to play in
  2. Getting the Midway because well why not?

Any advice is highly appreciated ^_^

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
745 posts
1,641 battles

Welcome to wows and the forum

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,717 posts
3,936 battles
8 minutes ago, fortebx1 said:

Hello peeps! Fortebx here and I am currently new to WoWS since I kind of jump ship(lol punny) from WoT. I felt like it's time to move on from tanks because I simply can't find the enjoyment that I used to get from it (been with the game since Beta. Also I might give it another try if they do something big *cough*introduce the Chieftain Mk6*cough*). So here I am and I got no idea of what to do in game although I do have somewhat two goals:

Cool, welcome aboard:Smile_honoring:

1. Aiming to get the Iowa for nostalgia reason because back in Navyfield I have the Iowa and it was a blast to play in

Fair enough, I think a lot of us went for the Iowa first

1. Getting the Midway because well why not?

Oh, oh dear, oh dear no....

Yeah, stay away from CVs for a while. Just trust me on this one for right now. You'll figure it out soon enough (right around T4).

In terms of general advice, WOWS isn't WOT on water. Yes same company and same general idea, but most of the core mechanics are different. The biggest thing to remember is WOWS is a much slower paced game than WOT. Stopping and turning around is a couple minute affair, ships do not stop quickly.

Don't rush up the tiers. You probably know this from WOT, but you learn very important lessons at low tiers. Take your time to learn as you work up.

Investigate. There's a lot to learn. If you run into something you don't understand, look into it. The Wiki for WOWS is very good, consult it as needed. Ask questions here. And Youtube is a good resource as well. Just make sure the videos are relatively recent, anything more than about a year old is going to be hopelessly out of date (major game rework), and even things more than a few months old may have some obsolete info.

Play what you enjoy. I advise finding two lines you like to grind up. If you get tired of one, switch to the other.

My old advice to new players was don't mention subs, but they're coming (SoonTM). We'll see how that works out.

OK, so seriously about CVs. They play very differently from the other classes, and in their current state cause a lot of problems for the game. WG pretty clearly doesn't know what to do with them, so I'd wait until you have more experience before venturing into them. Also if you want to start a forum firefight just make a post about CVs (let's just say they're not real popular with the playerbase ATM).

Welcome aboard, feel free to ask question, and be sure to make the appropriate sacrifices to our lord and savior RNGesus:Smile_honoring:

• Meh 1

Members
3 posts
94 battles
29 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Cool, welcome aboard:Smile_honoring:

Fair enough, I think a lot of us went for the Iowa first

Oh, oh dear, oh dear no....

Yeah, stay away from CVs for a while. Just trust me on this one for right now. You'll figure it out soon enough (right around T4).

In terms of general advice, WOWS isn't WOT on water. Yes same company and same general idea, but most of the core mechanics are different. The biggest thing to remember is WOWS is a much slower paced game than WOT. Stopping and turning around is a couple minute affair, ships do not stop quickly.

Don't rush up the tiers. You probably know this from WOT, but you learn very important lessons at low tiers. Take your time to learn as you work up.

Investigate. There's a lot to learn. If you run into something you don't understand, look into it. The Wiki for WOWS is very good, consult it as needed. Ask questions here. And Youtube is a good resource as well. Just make sure the videos are relatively recent, anything more than about a year old is going to be hopelessly out of date (major game rework), and even things more than a few months old may have some obsolete info.

Play what you enjoy. I advise finding two lines you like to grind up. If you get tired of one, switch to the other.

My old advice to new players was don't mention subs, but they're coming (SoonTM). We'll see how that works out.

OK, so seriously about CVs. They play very differently from the other classes, and in their current state cause a lot of problems for the game. WG pretty clearly doesn't know what to do with them, so I'd wait until you have more experience before venturing into them. Also if you want to start a forum firefight just make a post about CVs (let's just say they're not real popular with the playerbase ATM).

Welcome aboard, feel free to ask question, and be sure to make the appropriate sacrifices to our lord and savior RNGesus:Smile_honoring:

Wow well detailed there. I guess I'll skip CV's then and after looking them up on YT yeah it isn't my cup of tea since the last time I remember the gameplay its all RTS like. I'll poke around in the forums for updated guides and on YT. As far as I know of battleships, something of angling to ricochet shells, only broadside if require since it shows the most of your ship and fight at arms length except the Germans? Also I think I can sort of learn the game mechanics by engaging in PvE?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,717 posts
3,936 battles
12 minutes ago, fortebx1 said:

Wow well detailed there. I guess I'll skip CV's then and after looking them up on YT yeah it isn't my cup of tea since the last time I remember the gameplay its all RTS like. I'll poke around in the forums for updated guides and on YT. As far as I know of battleships, something of angling to ricochet shells, only broadside if require since it shows the most of your ship and fight at arms length except the Germans? Also I think I can sort of learn the game mechanics by engaging in PvE?

RTS CVs are gone, that was the major rework. New system has a whole new set of problems. And yeah, angling good, broadside bad. Engagement distance varies, no general rule. And yes PvE is a good place to learn how things work. Just remember that bot tactics are different that people tactics, so the playstyle is different in the two modes. But for learning the ropes on how things work Coop is ideal.

One of the CCs, IChaseGaming, has a Youtube series How to Get Good at WOWS. Look it up, great resource for new players. Not all of it immediately applies, but that playlist is a great place to start.

[FML]
Members
3,742 posts
14,898 battles
1 hour ago, fortebx1 said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS!

I too made the switch from WoT, many long years ago.  I've found the Ships community much nicer - on the whole - and the game more strategic.  

I have copied some information below that might be of assistance to you.  But if you'd like to division (ie, platoon) up with me, feel free to send an in-game message and if I'm online at the same time I'd be happy to join you. 

Otherwise, good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. USN carriers are somewhere in between - see iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  Also, TopTier's example shows how to play low tier carriers well - in particular, where you should drive your carrier to stay alive. 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

[PVE]
Members
5,239 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, fortebx1 said:

1st off welcome to the forums & welcome to the game.

My advice is once you've gotten the basics down in co-op & you're ready to jump into random is to start at the top of the tech tree (IJN) & begin w/cruisers (the 1st ship type introduced at T1) & run IJN through T4 (& I dare you to not fall in love w/the Kuma...despite the CV scourge you will probably encounter)...then work your way down the tech tree through all cruisers (after IJN through T4 do US cruisers through T4 then RU...etc).

Then go to DDs (introduced 2nd at T2)...again from top of tech tree all the way down 1 nation at a time to T4.

Then BBs (introduced at T3)...same tech tree order.

Then CVs (introduced at T4). Best to get the basics of them down early so you can counter them better but also better to get the other ship type's basics down so you can know which ships are best to attack for maximum gain. If CVs don't seem like your cup of tea at least run a dozen battles in each nation's CVs to get a feel for the different ordinances & the differences in them all...even if just in co-op.

After all ships are done w/T4 start at the top of the tree & in the same order run cruisers/DDs/BBs/CVs...if you made it through T4 CVs & didn't find them horrible...through T6.

By T6 most ship types get their "unique gimmicks" (if they get them at all...& some don't get them until T8...but most get them at T6)...such as special consumables/faster speed/etc.

By that time you should have a general idea to know what lines you want to start (besides US BBs & possibly CVs) progressing to the higher tiers & the experience to be able to survive against the more skilled higher tier players.

Please don't check my stats as I didn't do any of these things :-0

BTW...the reason I'd suggest just doing 1 ship type at a time all the way through is that each ship type (especially at lower tiers) has basic standards that are generally the same for most all of the nation's & it will lessen the chances of (for example) charging a BB to torp it in a cruiser w/out torps because "that was the last game I was in a DD...Doh" :-)

You might wanna take UltimateNewbies advice on saving RN cruisers for the last cruiser line as they are a very different breed of cruiser...but they can be very powerful when mastered...& using them as a jumping off point before doing DDs is appropriate as they play a lot like DDs (when run properly anyway) at the mid to upper tiers.

Well....w/all the suggestions you have a lot to chew on...so I'll just wish you good luck & hopefully talk to you later.

[TIMT]
Members
219 posts
2,657 battles

Hello,

I think other people covered most of it, nevertheless as someone having switched from WOT a year ago here are my thoughts on this:

- go slowly up the lines. The grind is much faster than in WOT, and it gets easier the longer you play as you get a lot of perks and extras for free in this game over time (at least compared to WOT). Flags, camos etc are very helpful. So don't rush as you have a lot to learn

- having said that, try at least a ship from all classes and maybe a few tech trees to see what resonates with you. Avoid CVs, they are the artillery equivalent from WOT and equally well regarded by most players. You will see in T4, though it gets much better in high tiers (less of them).

- coop is fine for just trying out your ship and having fun in general, though the bots are pretty meh.

- when grinding lines be aware that some lines split or suddenly change their focus. Example is the US cruiser line which changes massively at T6, or the IJN 'gun boat' line which is not a gun boat line until T8.

Best of luck out there!

Members
3 posts
94 battles

Thanks for the info but I still have a few lingering questions I want to ask: Does WoWS economy works the same as in WoT? I mean does the ships cost more to upkeep at the end of the lines? If so does Ships have "Premium Ships" that'll earn you a higher amount of credits like the way WoT premium tier 8's(ie Skorpion G, Defender, etc) and which ships are they?

[LSNB]
Members
1,501 posts
4,104 battles
2 hours ago, fortebx1 said:

Thanks for the info but I still have a few lingering questions I want to ask: Does WoWS economy works the same as in WoT? I mean does the ships cost more to upkeep at the end of the lines? If so does Ships have "Premium Ships" that'll earn you a higher amount of credits like the way WoT premium tier 8's(ie Skorpion G, Defender, etc) and which ships are they?

Not sure what the WoT economy is like, but yes; the upkeep/service cost increases every tier you reach, until Tier 10. Premium ships earn more credits, XP, and Free XP. In addition, commanders don't suffer a retraining penalty if they're assigned to one. Personally I would just learn and enjoy the game before considering buying a suitable premium ship, as each line and many premium ships have unique playstyles.

Edited by destawaits

[FML]
Members
3,742 posts
14,898 battles
21 hours ago, fortebx1 said:

Hi.  No worries.  

In answer to your question, @destawaits is right that it does get more expensive to run ships at higher tiers.  However, the economy of WoWS is far more forgiving than in WoT (and WoWP) in that you dont really run into a 'credit crunch' as a free to play player until you reach your first T8, and even then its easier to generate credits when you perform well as the ammunition cost (whilst increasing with the number of shots fired) is not hugely expensive like in WoT.  

Have a look at the below links for some information on WoWS economy and premium ships: 

• Cool 1