You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

battleship play is still broken

41 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles

Now im finding more and more that battleships are playing like cruisers,  and also think that their role is to always sit at the back and or hide  behind mountains and not commit to hard to the battle.

1. like hiding behind mountains for long periods of time

2. waiting in spawn so the team takes damage then they come out to clean up.

3. driving around on the edge of the map as i watch the enemy roll over the caps is so frustrating specially when they get killed doing it reducing team strength and their speed is so slow they cant get back  in time to defend if they survive.

4. In a carrier  you get time to over watch and see whats needed so you tell them to cap  x cap  and they just sit in the one cap they have taken and think that long range sniping is going to win the battle (thanks wargaming for long range American BB sniper ships, thats sarcasm) and get encircled and killed. sniper ships only increase poor BB play.

5. I just watched in my last game  an enemy team of BB, sit around the mountains of a cap our team wasnt  even close to as they were to afraid to go in. like 3 or 4 of them for 10 mins

I cant help but believe its also a consequence of wallet warriors  and the over supply of ships by premium and resources, guys that buy ships as well and dont spend the time learning by grinding up the tiers where they  learn valuable lessons.  Its dumbing down the game play. No im not saying remove them as that will never happen.

6. Mostly every time, your own teams destroyer tries to cap and gets killed for a variety of reasons when battleships and cruisers are just sitting or mostly steaming in the opposite direction to the battle. After they die its oh my god we better do something , then they move into the cap, instead of doing it before and supporting the dd and not letting them die. 

Specially now with long range radar and aircraft, Battleships need to pull their fingers out and step up for better game play. communicate more so that not just one bb moves forward as is usually the case and the enemy focuses them, they need to get some balls and move in together to even out the distribution of enemy fire.  Sure theres a time to push and a time not to push  but lately there so much sitting back waiting for the other guy to move so that no guy moves.  Think harder on that  battleship drivers.  Yes I know the deal I play all classes of ships.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 11
  • Meh 4

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,726 posts
19,709 battles

Champagne says to chill dude, I was born to snipe from the back....

• Funny 2
  • Sad 1

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts

You put a lot of effort into that. You might want to focus your energy on learning team tactics.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,571 posts
7,013 battles
38 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

6. Mostly every time, your own teams destroyer tries to cap and gets killed for a variety of reasons when battleships and cruisers are just sitting or mostly steaming in the opposite direction to the battle. After they die its oh my god we better do something , then they move into the cap, instead of doing it before and supporting the dd and not letting them die. 

It's also the DD's responsibility to recognize when the support isn't there or has unfavorable odds/positions, and not commit to capping and auto-losing his ship cause the odds are against him. Players who insist on contesting when it's unfavorable own their DD losses and subsequent crippling of their team. A live DD that can be of use later is always better then some guy who charged in and died. He may not have gotten the support he needed to be successful, but it was his choice to suicide into a bad situation.

• Cool 5

[D33P6]
Members
465 posts
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

Now im finding more and more that battleships are playing like cruisers,  and also think that their role is to always sit at the back and or hide  behind mountains and not commit to hard to the battle.

3. driving around on the edge of the map as i watch the enemy roll over the caps is so frustrating specially when they get killed doing it reducing team strength and their speed is so slow they cant get back  in time to defend if they survive.

4. In a carrier  you get time to over watch and see whats needed so you tell them to cap  x cap  and they just sit in the one cap they have taken and think that long range sniping is going to win the battle (thanks wargaming for long range American BB sniper ships, thats sarcasm) and get encircled and killed. sniper ships only increase poor BB play.

5. I just watched in my last game  an enemy team of BB, sit around the mountains of a cap our team wasnt  even close to as they were to afraid to go in. like 3 or 4 of them for 10 mins

I cant help but believe its also a consequence of wallet warriors  and the over supply of ships by premium and resources, guys that buy ships as well and dont spend the time learning by grinding up the tiers where they  learn valuable lessons.  Its dumbing down the game play. No im not saying remove them as that will never happen.

Specially now with long range radar and aircraft, Battleships need to pull their fingers out and step up for better game play. communicate more so that not just one bb moves forward as is usually the case and the enemy focuses them, they need to get some balls and move in together to even out the distribution of enemy fire.  Sure theres a time to push and a time not to push  but lately there so much sitting back waiting for the other guy to move so that no guy moves.  Think harder on that  battleship drivers.  Yes I know the deal I play all classes of ships.

I will try and tank as much damage for my team as possible.  I'll give the enemy something to shoot at for as long as possible to our other ships like cruiser can do some work.  I am required to disengage if it becomes to spicy in order to stay in the fight.  It may involve me going behind an island or taking some cover to recover health or let CD's time out.  I'll sometimes take those long range shots in hopes of taking out a cruiser and thinning it out a bit.  Any ship will not last long under a constant barrage 2-3 fast firing ships, usually from cruisers.

I think a lot of BB's players assessing the situation and figuring out what do without dying to fast before getting their next heal.

I tried to push up in my G Kurfurst tonight, yeah I didn't last long.  No other ships fault other than I made a tactical error.  I also need to FP back on it.  I'm trying the full secondary build and without FP I'm burning up really fast.

[KSD]
Members
142 posts
8,277 battles

Just approach the game from the perspective that your team is incompetent and it'll make playing around them easier

• Haha 1

[UN1]
Members
1,067 posts
3,413 battles
6 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Just like in real life, you're only the master of yourself, so stop focusing, worrying, and complaining about what others are doing and be the very best player you can be.

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Members
3,242 posts
31,851 battles
6 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

It's also the DD's responsibility to recognize when the support isn't there or has unfavorable odds/positions, and not commit to capping and auto-losing his ship cause the odds are against him. Players who insist on contesting when it's unfavorable own their DD losses and subsequent crippling of their team. A live DD that can be of use later is always better then some guy who charged in and died. He may not have gotten the support he needed to be successful, but it was his choice to suicide into a bad situation.

Indeed so when the support is not there for the whole battle i will not try to cap for the whole battle.:cap_like:

Despite the red team having twice as much radar and being a CV game my team was there for me for the win which is rare.

tmr.png.62d558565e99ecd7cb4a6036d83de115.png

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
3,242 posts
31,851 battles
5 hours ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I will try and tank as much damage for my team as possible.  I'll give the enemy something to shoot at for as long as possible to our other ships like cruiser can do some work.  I am required to disengage if it becomes to spicy in order to stay in the fight.  It may involve me going behind an island or taking some cover to recover health or let CD's time out.  I'll sometimes take those long range shots in hopes of taking out a cruiser and thinning it out a bit.  Any ship will not last long under a constant barrage 2-3 fast firing ships, usually from cruisers.

I think a lot of BB's players assessing the situation and figuring out what do without dying to fast before getting their next heal.

I tried to push up in my G Kurfurst tonight, yeah I didn't last long.  No other ships fault other than I made a tactical error.  I also need to FP back on it.  I'm trying the full secondary build and without FP I'm burning up really fast.

The problem is that the large majority of the BB players never figure it out.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
4,343 posts
9,336 battles
8 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Not everyone thinks and acts like a Marine.  :-)

Some players are afraid of getting their ship's paint scratched.
Some don't want to be the first to get focus fired.  (While simultaneously asking for intelligence data, eh?) 
Some prefer to camp (well, by gosh, I love raining CV ordnance upon campers to disrupt that sort of game-play).

Sure, there are inexperienced players who haven't learned the full range of purposes for their engines and rudder and secondary batteries.

That's why we strive to teach them, and lead by good example.  :-)

Semper Fidelis to you, Devil Dog.

• Thanks 1

Members
1,379 posts
4,457 battles

They tried to fix this with potential damage exp, but most BBs don't understand this mechanic is in the game.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles
10 hours ago, z9_ said:

love your forum avi Z9  , the movie up periscope is great to  :)  its  would be good if  they could get Kelsy Grammer's voice on one of the american captains on the new submarine captains like they did steven segal.  Or create a side show bob captain, a range of simpsons captains would be good to but that wont happen due to legal issues .  oh well.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,682 posts
5,901 battles
11 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

One  should be careful when judging other people’s level of play.   Again and again in almost every match there is a BB who pushes up just half a map square too far too soon that gets focused and burned to death. 

Yeah some BBs sit back too far yet still I find a lot of what was written here questionable when examining the actual plays other people make during the game. 

I know that when I play DD I rather have a BB behind me that is staying a bit further back all early and mid game long , atleast until I have sorted out the opposing DDs, but whose broadside potential keeps cruisers from pushing into my face  well into the late game. 

Edited by eviltane

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
10 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

A live DD that can be of use later is always better then some guy who charged in and died

Absolutely. 

The psychological aspect of this is underestimated.  There have been many instances where, when asked "Why aren't you pushing forward?".  They would reply with "Destroyer (DD)".

I get their apprehensiveness, at the time time.  One can't blame them also.  

10 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Specially now with long range radar and aircraft, Battleships need to pull their fingers out and step up for better game play. communicate more so that not just one bb moves forward as is usually the case and the enemy focuses them, they need to get some balls and move in together to even out the distribution of enemy fire.  Sure theres a time to push and a time not to push  but lately there so much sitting back waiting for the other guy to move so that no guy moves.  Think harder on that  battleship drivers. 

I believe there is mixture of inexperienced players [at all tiers, but more pronounced in high tiers (expectations)], damage shy players, half minded players (their focus is somewhere else), players that are experienced but wanting to be the few remaining (for various reasons), players not having the awareness to read the situation (this is usually reserved to the more experienced players), Cruisers/Battleships only using their consumables too late (defensively, versus offensively), or it could just be that they are all waiting for one/few player(s) to push instead.  There are so many reasons why they are not the bold, assertive, aggressive players (even with a brawling designed ships).  It could just be their personality, who knows.  What I do know is that being the aforementioned battleship (alone) will cost your game very fast.  Specially, when your teammates are not firing (staying unseen), not firing onto the requested ship, or they are just looking for an easy kill, instead of supporting your push (whether due to the right timing, or due to frustrations). 

It's all a psychological smorgasbord.  

Sadly, I will mention that. If one has the capacity to 'read' the situation (situational awareness) real time.  They should try their best of survive to impact the game flow to maximum levels.  But of course to do this, you'd need cooperative team mates.  Catch 22 anyone?

[ARS]
Members
124 posts
1,865 battles
11 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

This one... its this one. >300 battles in a t10 game with a premium ship. It's everywhere. *shrugs*

[TMS]
Members
3,242 posts
31,851 battles

I'm sick of this, i'm not going to go to that cap at the start in future because 90% of the battles and up like this.

I solo capped C at the start and as usual the team camps there. The Daring took B at the start but had to run.

Was going to flank around to A but had to make sure the 12km radar on B would not see me but then the KLEBER  turned up so that was that. 

done1.png.69dd3108ebd126be835c50132696df2a.png

done2.png.063dd4b5fff88ef51001be7f023ddd3f.png

Done3.png.d0622fb559df219b5f8c6de6401e9e4c.png

Edited by Final8ty

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,033 posts
3,477 battles
26 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

I'm sick of this, i'm not going to go to that cap at the start in future because 90% of the battles and up like this.

I solo capped C at the start and as usual the team camps there. The Daring took B at the start but had to run.

Was going to flank around to A but had to make sure the 12km radar on B would not see me but then the KLEBER  turned up so that was that. 

done1.png.69dd3108ebd126be835c50132696df2a.png

done2.png.063dd4b5fff88ef51001be7f023ddd3f.png

I see the problem here...everyone was social distancing from you because you didn't update your Windows Security and could have been infected with a bad virus...tsk, tsk!

[TDRB]
Members
4,577 posts
12,800 battles

In a carrier  you get time to over watch and see whats needed so you tell them to cap  x cap 

Few pay attention to self-appointed commodores in a battle. If said commodore is in a CV it will be worse due to the riff over CV's in the game. You can claim you know what's best to win the match, sometimes you may even be right but there is no reason for other players to even read what you post in chat much less follow your demands.

Not to be ragging on you, just saying this is the state of the game.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,571 posts
7,013 battles
6 hours ago, Final8ty said:

Indeed so when the support is not there for the whole battle i will not try to cap for the whole battle.:cap_like:

Despite the red team having twice as much radar and being a CV game my team was there for me for the win which is rare.

Yeah like, if you can't even trust your team to shoot at what you spot, definitely don't trust them to back you up in a cap.

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

Nevermind the social distancing.  What MODs are you using at the bottom of that minimap?

[TMS]
Members
3,242 posts
31,851 battles
2 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Nevermind the social distancing.  What MODs are you using at the bottom of that minimap?

MatchMakingMonitor

[NSEW]
Members
1,749 posts
10,379 battles
6 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

MatchMakingMonitor

I was joking, but now I'm curious.  How did you manage to get that mod to work? Mine keeps on "updating" then it crashes.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,837 posts
9,540 battles
5 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

MatchMakingMonitor

I understand some people like to torture themselves but I'd never encourage it

[TMS]
Members
3,242 posts
31,851 battles
23 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I was joking, but now I'm curious.  How did you manage to get that mod to work? Mine keeps on "updating" then it crashes.

Windows uninstall and try again.