You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Tier 8 Italian Premium Cruiser UP 102 "Pocket Battleship"

14 comments in this topic

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
1,746 battles

For your consideration I wish to suggest a tier 8 heavy cruiser that would have been identified as a pocket battleship.

The designation for this ship was UP 102. I would personally call it the Pompei class Cruiser with it being dubbed the RM Pompei.

History

In the lead up to the design of the Roma, the Italian military had begun considering multiple designs for different smaller ships after having 70,000 tons of ship building capability by the Washington Treaty guidelines. They considered multiple small cruiser designs as they did not want to institute a arms race with France. However Germany began building the Deutschland class cruisers (Admiral Graf Spee). This resulted in France laying down the Dunkerque class battleships as a response. This would eventually lead to the design of the Littorio class battleships but before that they submitted their own design which was quite similar to the Deutschland class cruisers. This ship would have a displacement of 18000 long tons (8,000 more than the Deutschland) and have 2x3 343mm(13.5in) naval cannon as it's main armament. The Italian Military opted not to go this route and instead progressed to the Littorio battleships. However this design still existed. They would eventually give the design to the Romanian Military as a way to improve their navy with a bigger gunned vessel but not need something the size of a Battleship. This design given to the Romanian Navy was almost identical to the Admiral Graf Spee. The picture shows this design but my suggestion won't be much different.

This was the Result:

UiFZZuP.png

However there would be differences.

Base Stats

HP: 51,000

Length: 182.9 meters (600 feet)

Displacement: 18000 tons

Speed: 30 knots

Armor: 200mm belt; 64mm deck

Armament:

2x3 343mm Guns

12x1 90mm guns

12x2 20mm

6x2 37mm

2x3 533mm torpedo tubes

1 floatplane

The ship would be a mix between the Zara and the Amalfi class cruisers but with much bigger guns. Heavier armor would make it slower but overall design would make it fairly similar to the Amalfi as that would been designed around the same time. It would be slightly shorter but also fatter than her sister cruisers. However it would include the more iconic circular surrounding of the tower with 90mm defensive guns. 

Speed would be good enough to keep up with battleships and some cruisers. Reload would be around 22-24 seconds.

It would have the typical load out for Italian cruisers of smoke and SAP and AP shells, no HE. I'm sorry I don't have more details as it would require more information on the project. I can do a more detailed overview but it would take some time and lots of research to information I may not have access too.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Members
12,945 posts

Interesting concept. One small quibble though, pocket battleship isnt a ship type.

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles
29 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Interesting concept. One small quibble though, pocket battleship isnt a ship type.

Yes they are :Smile_trollface:...the only question is (if they implement it) will WG classify it as a BB pocket battleship or a heavy cruiser pocket battleship :Smile_hiding:

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
1,746 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

It would be a heavy cruiser in the game. Pocket battleship is just what the British liked to call them.

[MR-1]
Members
881 posts
17,135 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

graf spee was always called a pocket battleship during WWII

[HINON]
Members
12,945 posts
6 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

graf spee was always called a pocket battleship during WWII

Only by the British to the press for propaganda. 

[MR-1]
Members
881 posts
17,135 battles
4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Only by the British to the press for propaganda. 

the germans called it a pocket battleship .  drain the oceans called it a pocket battleship  , some american news reels called it a pocket  battleship  so no it wasnt only pathe news that called it that .

one of the reasons it got that name was because   it was BB guns on a cruiser  hull and the term  super cruiser ( ie hood is classed in that catagory  even by the last 3 surviving members and relitives of those who lost loved ones ) super cruiser  term  with what i have read  came out when the japanese  atago was launched 

Edited by Gaelic_knight

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
1,746 battles

Can we all just agree this ship would be cool to have?

[HINON]
Members
12,945 posts
10 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

the germans called it a pocket battleship .  drain the oceans called it a pocket battleship  , some american news reels called it a pocket  battleship  so no it wasnt only pathe news that called it that .

I'd be curious to see a german reference with that because afaik they classified them as Panzerschiffes and later reclassified to heavy cruisers. Do you have a source by chance?

The American newsreels pulled the term from the British.

[MR-1]
Members
881 posts
17,135 battles

there is references there if you can find them i just cant remember exactly where i got it from  but i can clarify that hood was classed a heavy cruiser  and not as a BB as in the game 

Members
298 posts
4,303 battles

Sorry to say, but you didn't use Project UP102 for your design... The weaponry you've used and the statistics you've provided don't correspond to UP102 (https://digilander.libero.it/planciacomando/unita/up102.htm), it is instead for a study done by the Italian Navy that never got anywhere because they decided that it was too small a displacement to spend their battleship displacement according to treaties. They had concluded that the displacement didn't provide any decent protection to it as it was expected to go against the French heavy cruisers of the time.