You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Can We Balance Out DWT DDs Please

13 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,440 posts
14,145 battles

Had Ranked battle yesterday with 2 Deep Water Torpedo DDs on my team and none of that type of DD on the enemy team. Had a feeling it would be loss from the start, but still fought hard to try and win. But as I predicted it turned into a loss because of how much of a disadvantage Deep Water Torpedoes are in Ranked. So could it be possible if those type of ships are allowed in Ranked for them to be evenly distributed between both teams? Would not have been so bad if each team had 1 of those more useless types of DD, but 2 on one team and none on the other is not exactly a fair match to say the least. Reason being is torpedo exchanges happen in Ranked between DDs and if your DDs can’t hit the element DDs but they can hit yours you can see how that is a bit of problem.

The battle that prompted this thread had 4 DDs on each team and enemy team had all gunboat DDs and my team had 1 gunboat, 1 Kagero, and 2 DWT DDs. Other 3 ships on each team were BBs so the DDs were highly important with the lack of cruisers and enemy team quickly gained upper hand despite my sinking 2 of their DDs with my Roma of all things lol.

So not trying to rant or complain really, I do find the most joy in battles that are a little closer and balanced so that the fighting can get more intense instead of more one sided. So just wanted to call this matter to attention as it would be easy enough to code into the game. 

Members
1,462 posts
23,591 battles

Often thought about those players that bring hobbled DDs into a match. Really cheats the team of a fully effective DD.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,158 posts
20,772 battles
2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Often thought about those players that bring hobbled DDs into a match. Really cheats the team of a fully effective DD.

Ehh, one persons hobble is anothers advantage.  While I have stayed away (played Cossack on my ranked DD matches so far) I think there could be some times when the large amounts of BBs all clustered together are a fantastic target.  Plus, great spotting from Asashio.

Like all ships though, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,440 posts
14,145 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

Yeah and one of the DDs was the Asashio so if BBs had not been there or maybe 1 BB and a bunch of CAs and DDs they would have had nothing to torpedo.

That is why I always use normal torpedo armed DDs in Ranked that also carry decent to good AA which rules out a Kagero and DWT DDs. Although if you really want to use a Kagero the Harekaze is very good since it can use the 100mm Akizuki guns or even the Benson’s guns instead of the standard Kagero guns.

[USCC2]
Members
5,862 posts

Played the Asashio today - 6 torp hits on the Kremlin in one go.....it laughed! Thankfully a friendly BB was near and killed it for me! :Smile_teethhappy:

However, as crazy as the above seems with a torp boat that only has 2 ship types it can target with its torps - I really think that the main issue here is that the DWT DDs just aren't optimal for ranked. :Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
Members
12,440 posts
14,145 battles
2 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Ehh, one persons hobble is anothers advantage.  While I have stayed away (played Cossack on my ranked DD matches so far) I think there could be some times when the large amounts of BBs all clustered together are a fantastic target.  Plus, great spotting from Asashio.

Cossack has good guns, normal torpedoes, and the fast reloading smoke can compensate for the lack of AA so it’s not the worst thing you can use.

[ICBM]
Members
737 posts
8,479 battles

I've gotten a surprising number of torp hits with cossak in ranked. The single launch, 10km range, and fast reload make them very useful. The 10 km range makes them better than lightning in some situations. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,659 posts
13,997 battles
1 hour ago, Warped_1 said:

This, some people are able to make the DWT DD's shine no matter what the ships are. Now if you are not one of those people bring something else.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,343 posts
13,746 battles

Think this would open pandora's box, and there would be rioting for other balance checks (radar, AA boats, supercruisers, etc).

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,482 posts
11,374 battles

Excuse me?  Have you played the Pan Asain line?  That boat gives you the chance at having Radar.....from a dd.

To each, play what you want.  Let's make it fun :)  When you have fun, normally you will win.  (ok long shot here)

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,706 posts
19,604 battles

So 5.4 detection is bad?

Spotting for team?

Grabbing a cap despite a CV?

Using g your guns to finish the BB you crippled, twice?

Outgunning a half health cossack?

Yup did it all in 1 match and won.

Asashio is much better than Pan Asain DWT boats

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
13,517 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Had Ranked battle yesterday with 2 Deep Water Torpedo DDs on my team and none of that type of DD on the enemy team. Had a feeling it would be loss from the start, but still fought hard to try and win. But as I predicted it turned into a loss because of how much of a disadvantage Deep Water Torpedoes are in Ranked. So could it be possible if those type of ships are allowed in Ranked for them to be evenly distributed between both teams? Would not have been so bad if each team had 1 of those more useless types of DD, but 2 on one team and none on the other is not exactly a fair match to say the least. Reason being is torpedo exchanges happen in Ranked between DDs and if your DDs can’t hit the element DDs but they can hit yours you can see how that is a bit of problem.

The battle that prompted this thread had 4 DDs on each team and enemy team had all gunboat DDs and my team had 1 gunboat, 1 Kagero, and 2 DWT DDs. Other 3 ships on each team were BBs so the DDs were highly important with the lack of cruisers and enemy team quickly gained upper hand despite my sinking 2 of their DDs with my Roma of all things lol.

So not trying to rant or complain really, I do find the most joy in battles that are a little closer and balanced so that the fighting can get more intense instead of more one sided. So just wanted to call this matter to attention as it would be easy enough to code into the game. 

Play ASA exclusively and except for one bad game averaging over 75k damage... ASA can just absolutely bust up another team... some early BB hits and it changes the game play of enemy BBs.  In a target rich environment, why would you take any other DD?  You have excellent conceal, pretty decent guns... worst enemy for me is a CV (rare) or a Lightning, which can wreck your day.  Used ASA in sprint and it was glorious...again if there is a que of 2 CVs, 100 BBs, 10 CAs and 10 DDs, why would you NOT take an ASA???   I have been torped ONCE by enemy DDs...that is it.  I do contest caps too btw...but usually speed boost to best vantage point to launch 20 torps of death... it is rare that I don't get a least 1 hit.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,680 posts
3,916 battles
2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Think this would open pandora's box, and there would be rioting for other balance checks (radar, AA boats, supercruisers, etc).

IMO Radar does need to be taken into account for MM, especially for Ranked. It's ridiculous when one team has 3 or 4 and the other has one and two RN CLs.

DWT, yeah it's annoying and not helpful usually. Though to be fair with CVs this season any DD but Kidd is questionable. But I don't think they need to be taken into account for MM, they're not anti DD ship anyways.

Fun story from today, enemy had two Kageros. They both drove to the same cap, smoked up, and parked in said smokescreen, apparently ignoring the fact that two of our DDs were in the cap. So our Harekaze drives up, prox spots both of them (we didn't know they were both in there at the time) drops torps and nails both of them. The enemy team was pretty salty after that. Remember kids, smokescreens work both ways.