Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Ranked Recommendations - Season 17: Tier VIII Aircraft Carriers

22 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,621 posts
11,897 battles

Last but not least, we examine which Tier VIII carriers you should probably be playing - and which you should probably avoid - in Season 17 of Ranked Battles.  

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,158 posts
20,772 battles

Hmm, is there anything other then Enterprise?  Guess I'll open to watch ;-)

[-K-]
2,621 posts
11,897 battles
39 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

I mean, sure, it's just a question of (a) what CVs you own and (b) what you want to be doing with your CV in a game.  

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,254 posts
19,414 battles

20200724_133524.png.d948974038bd51624947a5c1fee3b0df.png

What's your favorite ship though this season?

You know you're number one.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
776 posts
2,984 battles
1 hour ago, Warped_1 said:

Have to imagine Lexington if one has choices, for the rockets making DDs live in fear of being sent back to port.

Supertester
91 posts
12,077 battles

Actually, I would recommend Lexington for the ranked season. 

Lexington is well suited for the meta of BB and DD heavy lineups. More specifically, she can effectively deal with meta BBs like Massachusetts and Lenin while having 2 squads that can hit DDs. Her rockets will pen Mass armor and HE DBs are consistently powerful against all targets. 

Enterprise is good, but her AP bombs cannot citadel Mass, leaving her with 27mm pen rockets and TBs to deal with Mass. Neither of which is particularly effective. She still retains 12 rocket plane squads for DDs, but she falls behind when dealing with the meta BBs. 

Shokaku's AP DBs should be able to cit Mass, though this requires a high degree of skill from Shokaku's part. Otherwise, Shokaku deserves her recommended pick. 

Saipan is a decent/good pick, though her power actually comes from her TBs. Her main issue is her high skill floor and being unforgiving of poor plane management. 

[TBB]
Members
381 posts
3,551 battles

Didn't even mention Lexington from what I'm seeing?

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,482 posts
11,374 battles
8 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Troll your team by turning up in Indomitable. 

LOL..  what if its the only tier 8 on that account?

[-K-]
2,621 posts
11,897 battles
46 minutes ago, HMGKPred said:

Thoughts on the implacable tho? :C

Usable, but challenging.  Probably the same evaluation I'd give her in randoms, to be honest.  The torps have a good flood chance, so putting them to work on targets that aren't a SoDak or an Amagi, then following up with the carpet bombs has solid damage potential (or vice versa).  The fire RNG remains a quirky problem, though.  The rockets will do good work against destroyers.  Implacable might actually be a smidge better in ranked than she is in randoms because she knows she won't be up-tiered, but I'd still pick Lexington ahead of her.

45 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Lexington is well suited for the meta of BB and DD heavy lineups. More specifically, she can effectively deal with meta BBs like Massachusetts and Lenin while having 2 squads that can hit DDs. Her rockets will pen Mass armor and HE DBs are consistently powerful against all targets. 

Enterprise is good, but her AP bombs cannot citadel Mass, leaving her with 27mm pen rockets and TBs to deal with Mass. Neither of which is particularly effective. She still retains 12 rocket plane squads for DDs, but she falls behind when dealing with the meta BBs. 

Excellent points.  I agree that Enterprise vs. Massachusetts is a bad matchup for Enterprise; not much else to say there except hope your team has enough brains to shoot at the big giant battleship on occasion.  ;)

Honestly, this is why I'm glad there are people around with a better feel for these things than myself.  Lex has always seemed a "good" pick while Enterprise has felt like the "right" one.  I guess for me, thinking as a generalist, Enterprise has always felt like she had the tools to tackle most anyone.

Edited by SeaRaptor

[FNGSX]
Members
43 posts
3,285 battles
5 minutes ago, SeaRaptor said:

Usable, but challenging.  Probably the same evaluation I'd give her in randoms, to be honest.  The torps have a good flood chance, so putting them to work on targets that aren't a SoDak or an Amagi, then following up with the carpet bombs has solid damage potential (or vice versa).  The fire RNG remains a quirky problem, though.  The rockets will do good work against destroyers.  Implacable might actually be a smidge better in ranked than she is in randoms because she knows she won't be up-tiered, but I'd still pick Lexington ahead of her.

Excellent points.  I agree that Enterprise vs. Massachusetts is a bad matchup for Enterprise; not much else to say there except hope your team has enough brains to shoot at the big giant battleship on occasion.  ;)

Honestly, this is why I'm glad there are people around with a better feel for these things than myself.  Lex has always seemed a "good" pick while Enterprise has felt like the "right" one.  I guess for me, thinking as a generalist, Enterprise has always felt like she had the tools to tackle most anyone.

Thanks, i only have the Implacable (and a stock Lex) and while i now regret getting the tier 10...i might try her out in ranked to test my luck ^^

[WOLF6]
Members
1,690 posts
5,253 battles
20 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

LOL..  what if its the only tier 8 on that account?

Honestly you'd do fine IF your team focuses ships you spot and burn.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,717 posts
5,126 battles
58 minutes ago, HMGKPred said:

Thoughts on the implacable tho? :C

Its bad.   If this was my list, it would have been on my avoid list for sure.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,690 posts
5,253 battles
24 minutes ago, SeaRaptor said:

Very true.

I've encountered far more in the Bis than Mass. Olands think CVs won't come near them until Hellcats turn up. Kidd is another matter.

Edited by Sumseaman

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,296 posts
14,500 battles

Just speaking of the “fun factor”. Lexington is the most bang for your buck USN tech tree CV in my opinion.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,018 posts
8,801 battles

Kaga can be really troll when doing full concealment and have your torp planes fly around the map with 6.1km concealment

It allows you to sneak up on broadside ships especially battleships and already have your attack run initiated before your plane gets spotted which limits the reaction time of the ships to make maneuvers to avoid 4 torps

Members
196 posts
5 battles

I have all the T8 CV's except Parseval, but I'll be in Saipan, she's my favourite CV in the game, and she gets more effective the shorter and smaller the game mode.

[5D]
Members
1,015 posts
12,920 battles

I mostly play the perceval in rank when from 12 to 5 in 57 battle , been saving my start most of the time with it

[LUCK]
Members
1,833 posts
28,979 battles
On 7/24/2020 at 2:24 PM, SeaRaptor said:

Last but not least, we examine which Tier VIII carriers you should probably be playing - and which you should probably avoid - in Season 17 of Ranked Battles.  

I recommend y'all stop playing CVs- period. 

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts

I have all the T8 CV's except Parseval, but I'll be in Saipan, she's my favourite CV in the game, and she gets more effective the shorter and smaller the game mode.

Agree.  I’ll be using my Saipan largely as well.  Plus, this is almost a “Last Ride” for her before the reticle change hits her with an aluminum bat.

Members
1,159 posts
33 battles

Couple things:
- Enterprise carries FFARs, not HVARs. These have slightly lower alpha (-100)
- Enterprise actually does not (reliably) citadel many BBs at T8, the list is restricted to everything German, everything British, Lenin and Roma/Littorio. Against any other BB she either requires a serious amount of blessings from RNGesus or she outright can't do it

- Shokaku torp flooding chance is actually very mediocre at 40%, which is inferior to RN (51%) and US torps (52%). This is due to a nerf to her flooding chance early in the rework
- Shokaku AP bombs are much more capable than E's especially after the recent buff to their penetration. I believe only the French are immune to citadel hits, the SoDaks can be a bit finicky

- Kaga is actually a very mediocre BB hunter as the terrible spacing of her torps and fairly long drop-to-hit time allows for anyone with half a brain to dodge at least two torps if not three, putting her actual damage potential far below her contemporaries. The bombs while having pretty good aiming characteristics simply do not have the alpha to make up for this
- it should also be noted that Kaga is EXTREMELY vulnerable to AP bombs and her weak AA suite is incapable of killing fighters deployed to bait her CAP. Technically speaking an Enterprise can kill a Kaga outright in just 2 AP DB attacks
- honestly Lexington does pretty much everything that Kaga does but better while also not being shafted against DDs. Only thing Lex does not have is the high ready reserves but given the reality of T8 AA that shouldn't be much of an issue

- speaking of Lexington, should be on the recommended list

- Implacable should be on the avoid list

Sign in to follow this