You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

How to British CV

15 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,328 posts
5,233 battles

Dear Diary: 

I have gotten tired of playing UBER-AWESOME-DEUTSCHLAND-AP-SKYCANCER-FEST, and have moved onto playing COLONIZE-ON-SIGHT.

----------------

So, how does one British CV? I'm playing this how I normally do...but it seems as though the skill ceiling is much higher with the bombers. 

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,989 posts
9,901 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Dear Diary: 

I have gotten tired of playing UBER-AWESOME-DEUTSCHLAND-AP-SKYCANCER-FEST, and have moved onto playing COLONIZE-ON-SIGHT.

----------------

So, how does one British CV? I'm playing this how I normally do...but it seems as though the skill ceiling is much higher with the bombers. 

The bombs fall a lot slower than DB bombs so you have to lead the target. How slow the bombs fall varies by CV. To hit ships like DDs and faster cruisers you need to give a lot of lead well ahead of the ship.

• Cool 2

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
1,746 battles
33 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

The bombs fall a lot slower than DB bombs so you have to lead the target. How slow the bombs fall varies by CV. To hit ships like DDs and faster cruisers you need to give a lot of lead well ahead of the ship.

but you don't have the lead up to the dive so you can get on target much quicker. So it kind of balances out. The British CV bombs can be more devastating to DD's than normal AP bombs.

[-BN-]
[-BN-]
Members
239 posts
11,813 battles

How to British CV: you go to the tech tree realise they do not exist and go back to playing Midway or Haku.

• Thanks 1

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles

Hermes is the best DD and light cruiser hunter. Your level bombers are excellent at it.

Going after battleships...you really only have that one torpedo at a time.

I just got to Furious...so Hermes is really my only personal useful experience so far.

Focus on controlling the light ships of the enemy.

Members
4,242 posts
9,256 battles
46 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Dear Diary: 

----------------

Torpedo attack and rocket attack are pretty straightforward.

The Bomb attack requires extra leading-of-the-target, as others have mentioned.

For a BB, approach from the BB's bow, wait until the reticle covers the forward half of the BB, and release the bombs.  The BB should sail forward and be covered by the entire pattern of the drop.
For Cruisers, same approach, add extra lead time, reticle should just cover the bow and possibly the forward turret (depending on the speed of the ship), release bombs, pattern should cover the ship.
For DD's, approach from bow or stern, add even more lead time, reticle should be barely touching the bow or perhaps a few meters ahead of the DD's bow, release bombs, pattern should cover the DD.

The above is just a basic and generic RN bomb-drop technique.  You can practice this to fine-tune the method to work with your play style and the specific ships & planes involved.

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,318 posts
22,882 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

but it seems as though the skill ceiling is much higher with the bombers. 

If a battleship is heading toward your planes at full speed, drop when he hits the mid point of the aiming reticle. Cruisers give even more lead and destroyers obviously need the most.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,385 posts

1) Play the Indomitable

2) Set computer on fire due to frustration

Honestly UK CVs are the most attrition oriented CVs I've played. They are designed to nibble away at the enemy. So you spend the game setting an enemy up to die or fly around and be THAT CV player who takes the last bite of ships.

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
886 posts
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Dear Diary: 

----------------

for me it is the funniest line... i love those royal navy bombers... but not implacable.

bombers must drop their cargo before reaching the target... a lot of damage...

[WMD]
Members
1,428 posts
9,211 battles

Your best bet is to catch the enemy while in port, the RN carriers really pioneered that method. 

[-RNG-]
Members
47 posts
6,436 battles

Watch for ships that damage control, stack fire and flooding, rinse and repeat.  Dive bombers pen is meh go for weaker decks, and dive bomb dd path using prediction if you need to. The rockets are your bread and butter, use them on anything Especially destroyers and light cruisers.  Torps are low damage but good for trying to get floods.  

[NUWES]
Members
2,989 posts
9,901 battles
11 hours ago, otakuben said:

but you don't have the lead up to the dive so you can get on target much quicker. So it kind of balances out. The British CV bombs can be more devastating to DD's than normal AP bombs.

Yes. The nice thing is they don't slow down like DBs do. They maintain forward motion and get out of AA faster.  I found Midway and Lex are more devastating to DDs with their HE bombs, but the level bombers have the advantage of saturating an area so they don't have to be nearly as precise (as long as you lead the target correctly). Not many bombs will hit the DD (due to small size), but they don't have much armor so you don't need many to hit either. 

Level bombers prefer a combination of large targets (more bombs will hit) with thinner decks (more likely bombs will not shatter). 

Members
243 posts
15,635 battles

The main difference is that most of your damage will be fires due to the low pen of rockets and bombs. You're rewarded for focusing an enemy more than usual, and also targeting enemies under fire by your teammates. Like all CVs, torps are your bread and butter. RN torp bombers are easy to use with a fast arming, so you can target non-bbs with some practice. People slander the Hermes, but it's fine once you figure out how your bombers work. I think the Furious is clearly better than the Ranger and Ryujo since all her planes are useful in all her matchups (and fire damage scales with your foes). The Implacable suffers more than most from matchmaking at tier 8. The weak pen and slowish planes really suffer paired up. And I've found the Audacious to be very effective in piling on the HE meta. It's the most consistently decent CV tech line pre-KM.

One other quirk that is really important to know: the level bombers go up when you start your run. They go up enough to dodge flak!

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,328 posts
5,233 battles

Audacious is hellafun. 

Got her last night....colonization was had.

The bombers are fun as hell, top planes are fast, rockets are good.

Not nearly as easy mode as Hak, but damn fine.

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
17 posts
4,173 battles

Once you get used to the bombs they become very fun to use.  If you can master dropping on DDs form any angle then you are ready for anything