You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PowderValley

Invisibility!!!

31 comments in this topic

[SUMO]
Members
2 posts
981 battles

The Human eye on the ocean can see 11 miles 17.7028 KM . I'm sick and tired of spending my money making you guys rich just so a DD can fire on me, launch torps on me and never be seen!!!!! Even cruisers. There's a hack and I will find it!!! When I do a DD out, I can't sneak up on peeps or keep myself invisible!!! wth 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,452 posts
18,552 battles
12 minutes ago, PowderValley said:

The Human eye on the ocean can see 11 miles 17.7028 KM . I'm sick and tired of spending my money making you guys rich just so a DD can fire on me, launch torps on me and never be seen!!!!! Even cruisers. There's a hack and I will find it!!! When I do a DD out, I can't sneak up on peeps or keep myself invisible!!! wth 

If this was a real-life simulator, you would have a point. But it isn't. It's a game. Guess what comes next!

• Haha 1

Members
1,030 posts
20 minutes ago, PowderValley said:

Wow - two whole months before becoming "sick and tired" of whatever.

• Funny 1

[WOOK3]
Members
4,179 posts
3,208 battles
25 minutes ago, PowderValley said:

Of course Japanese torpedoes in WW2 had a 40 km range, so launching from stealth is historical. And what you're not taking into account us the refraction of light that happens on the ocean. It plays tricks. My office is on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, 25 km wide. Some days I can make out individual panes of glass on buildings across the strait, refraction makes them bigger; and some days I can't make out the buildings for the haze.

Ships that don't break the horizon are really hard to spot. Sub tenders get awfully close to the bay before you notice them.

It's just a game and not reality. But vision on the ocean is not as simplistic as you make it out.  

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,705 posts
3,929 battles
35 minutes ago, PowderValley said:

There's a hack and I will find it!!! 

Let me know when you do, sounds like it would be useful.

In the meantime, may I suggest some reading material:https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Also, someone reset the clock for our weekly "don't know how detection works" thread.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
5,651 posts
2,260 battles
41 minutes ago, PowderValley said:

Toss a karma point to your CV...especially if he provides spotting.

• Boring 2

[GOB]
Members
1,736 posts

How about this...........

YOU go build us a game with Maps LARGE enough to scale things out to 30 miles... Also find enough people who want to play a game that will take 4 days a round. and get back to us.

• Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,545 posts

Not to support OP's rant, but the mechanics are a big part of the retention issue with this game.

This is an arcade game with complex spotting and shell mechanics that really don't belong.

Since 90% of the players are pretty much casual, most of them react the same way, but most of them never bother to post a rant either....

And just to make clear, I wouldn't really like simplified mechanics, but if WG really wanted to retain players, that would be whee they would have to start.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,441 posts
10,195 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

Not to support OP's rant, but the mechanics are a big part of the retention issue with this game.

This is an arcade game with complex spotting and shell mechanics that really don't belong.

Since 90% of the players are pretty much casual, most of them react the same way, but most of them never bother to post a rant either....

And just to make clear, I wouldn't really like simplified mechanics, but if WG really wanted to retain players, that would be whee they would have to start.

The spotting mechanic is the simplist part of this game

Answer yes or no:

outside spotting range of ship? [ ] yes [ ]no
Island between me and enemy? [ ] yes [ ] no

Smoke between me and enemy [ ] yes [ ] no

If you answered yes to one more more of these questions you or your enemy may be invisible.

Shell mechanics are not complex either. They're just glorified RNG.

Edited by Vekta408

[TBB]
Members
400 posts
3,629 battles
33 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

How about this...........

YOU go build us a game with Maps LARGE enough to scale things out to 30 miles... Also find enough people who want to play a game that will take 4 days a round. and get back to us.

Aw this killed me haha

[RKLES]
Members
12,448 posts
14,168 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Lol if you think this game is complicated you should see some other games I am into. Lol WOWs is quite simple in comparison.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,719 posts
19,667 battles
1 hour ago, PowderValley said:

With nothing blocking your view,  it's near impossible to fire your guns and not get spotted.

THE ONE EXCEPTION:

if your firing range is 10 km, you will be spotted if there is a ship within 10km...

Say you are 11km away and enemy sailing at you....

Fire away and let him run into your shells....

See no hack.

Otherwise they are firing over islands or behind a smoke screen.

[TIMT]
Members
211 posts
2,636 battles
24 minutes ago, awiggin said:

honestly that was what got me into the game. Arcade and simple fun with enough complexity to keep it interesting. If I wanted anything dumber I would play something else.

However, you bring up a good point about retention and that is that people apparently don't understand spotting after several hundred games. This means something in communication of the mechanics could be improved by WG to overcome this in the future.

[LANCE]
Members
748 posts
5,614 battles
1 hour ago, shinytrashcan said:

honestly that was what got me into the game. Arcade and simple fun with enough complexity to keep it interesting. If I wanted anything dumber I would play something else.

However, you bring up a good point about retention and that is that people apparently don't understand spotting after several hundred games. This means something in communication of the mechanics could be improved by WG to overcome this in the future.

WoT has a very simplistic “training ground” that you can play as many times as you want (first time round I think you get like 200 or 300 dubs/gold). It teaches you how to drive the tank, shoot your gun, angling, spotting (very basic) and leading a target. It’d be great if WoWs had something like that. It’d really help the new players get at least a very basic idea.

• Cool 1

Members
151 posts
6,566 battles
3 hours ago, PowderValley said:

I enjoy DD play and would be happy to div up and help you improve if that’s what you want. If you see me in game send an inv.

Im not the best player, but I can teach you enough to be dangerous :Smile_teethhappy:

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,686 posts
5,943 battles

The little boats have the lowest detection rating to go along with the lowest hitpoints, the lowest armor, little to no healing and itty bitty pop guns.

The big boats have the biggest detection to go along with the biggest hitpoint reserve, most armor and heals and biggest and baddest guns.

[OIL-1]
Members
952 posts

At what height are we talking for 11km?
I've been swimming in the ocean, on small fishing boats, and large cruise ships.
The distance you can see varies dramatically.

4 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

go build us a game with Maps LARGE enough to scale things out to 30 miles... Also find enough people who want to play a game that will take 4 days a round. and get back to us.

That game already exists. I played it for 2 years with millions of other players.
Would take me 45 minutes of 'real time' to sail from the northern coast of one continent
to the southern coast of another, using the fastest ship in the game.
And there was more than enough danger along the way. Didn't make it several times.
Bonus:
Not only did it have 3 fully modeled continents, it had a fully modeled ocean floor, and NO loading screens!
(Which makes me laugh when I play wows subs and see how weak they made the scenery underwater.)

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,815 posts
4,613 battles
6 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

WG put out three How It Works videos on Spotting.  There is a Videos button on the exit screen and there may be one in the Account Level progression.  There's a front page article in the wiki.  What more do you suggest they do?  Send teacher to the player's house?

[REVY]
Members
2,144 posts
11,589 battles

If you could provide a replay where you see the issue, most of us could probably explain what happened.

But like many times previous this has come up, I doubt we'll ever see one, so:

Popcorn-GIF.gif

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,683 posts
17,488 battles
11 hours ago, PowderValley said:

The Human eye on the ocean can see 11 miles 17.7028 KM . I'm sick and tired of spending my money making you guys rich just so a DD can fire on me, launch torps on me and never be seen!!!!! Even cruisers. 

BBs too!!!  Try the California with spotter plane.  I often drop salvos at over 25km shortly after first spot (usually by aircraft, but occasionally by a DD), and as there is intervening terrain for me, no detection.  Ergo, full salvo, 25km, unseen, in the first minute.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
8,841 battles
11 hours ago, PowderValley said:

This is an arcade, as others have pointed out. And btw, the distances in the game are compressed compared to real life.

As for the hack -- lel

10 hours ago, awiggin said:

Understanding and predicting concealment in WoWS is way easier than in WoT, if nothing else. 

But okay, how would you change it without neutering ships that depend on staying hidden, i.e. DDs?

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,330 posts
14,249 battles

Frankly, I'm surprised I don't need to shut this one down. great convo for such an ugly beginning! 

Steady as she goes.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,756 posts
5,164 battles
12 hours ago, PowderValley said:

Welcome to World of Warships.