You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Schwanzkopf

Thoughts on Current ranked Battles?

30 comments in this topic

[LWS]
[LWS]
Members
3 posts
4,466 battles

I think the last ranked and this one as well are stupid and a waste of time. We have zero control over bad, afk, and new players who are scrubs. You gain a star you lose a star and never get anywhere. I'm not wasting another month on useless matches that really have crap rewards for the effort required.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
4,169 posts
6,337 battles

Dunno, so far have seen few CVs, many BBs, and cruisers and DDs spread here and there. Looks pretty normal to me.

Also, tier doesn't affect player skill. There is an increasing number of people that have failed their way to Tier X.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-VT-]
Members
686 posts
31,492 battles

Well, you have an opinion!

Kind of curious...why did you ask for the opinion of others?

You are already set in your mind.

I would never try to change your opinion.

Nor will I allow your opinion to affect my own.

You see, I am playing my 17th season of Ranked.  That's right, I have played every single season.

I have ranked out 8 times.  Not as many as some but certainly more than most.

And here I am.  Still.  Playing Ranked Battles.

For the competition.  For the bragging rights.  For the fun.  It is a much more lively format than standard random battles.

I do not play for the rewards...but I will happily take them.  Kind of like going to a wedding and getting to partake in the reception buffet.  It's a benefit, for sure, but not why I am there.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Alpha Tester
1,477 posts
3,140 battles

Want to know why the ranked matches are reduced to 7v7? Because a single player can carry The efforts of a single individual are far greater.. This was from a match that just happened 10  minutes ago... while i am generally very supportive of players doing the things they enjoy,  you clearly dont have an understanding about what  a single player can do.    If you dont want to play ranked. then dont. however dont come whining that the competitive mode  makes you feel like your not in control.

while I  generally hate  this term. it seems appropriate to quote the internet on this one.

"Git gud"

shot-20.07.23_14.18.18-0810.jpg

• Cool 2

[CYNIC]
Members
410 posts
19,753 battles
28 minutes ago, Schwanzkopf said:

I think the last ranked and this one as well are stupid and a waste of time. We have zero control over bad, afk, and new players who are scrubs. You gain a star you lose a star and never get anywhere. I'm not wasting another month on useless matches that really have crap rewards for the effort required.

when did we ever have control over what other players do in a game.  it's good that you aren't wasting another month doing this. Maybe you can find a game that better suits your requirements. 

[--K--]
Members
6,709 posts
14,554 battles
32 minutes ago, Schwanzkopf said:

Do you want some constructive criticism? 

Members
485 posts
4,634 battles

I'm OK at random battles, but terrible at ranked. I like the challenge, but it can certainly get salty.

For me there’s been a marked increase in AFKs this season... noticeably so. I'd say at least 1 AFK in 10-20% of my games so far. 

Edited by exray0

[ARGSY]
Members
381 posts
8,331 battles

Ranked is OK but I find that a lot of asshats navigate to rank. Lots of nasty talk and nerd rage going on. Randoms are actually much kinder as a result. I kind of like tier VIII though. The best variety of ships are there. Think it would be fun if they did a Tier V or IV- just for grins. 

Members
142 posts
6,525 battles
1 hour ago, Schwanzkopf said:

I’ve haven’t been doing well in Rank so far, but I blame myself for that. I’m just not clicking yet, I’ll get into the groove, find my favorite ship and start winning.

[ALOFT]
Members
664 posts
26,962 battles

Randoms or the missions are the best thing to play. 

Avoid Ranked at all costs. Too Much Salt in the water. 

Members
322 posts
23,040 battles

i remember when you were a nooby...you just have to let people learn their ship...its not much to ask ..remember  that and dont burn your bridges at both ends

[TBW]
Members
9,954 posts
16,768 battles
2 hours ago, Schwanzkopf said:

It's a good place to grind xp on your tier 8 ships.

Members
109 posts
7,578 battles

Just go until you have to get 4 stars in a row if you're strapped on the time you play. Not worth it after that. You can get decent flags and the 2nd league flag and thats quite enough.

Edited by Battle_Cat_Cringer

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,895 battles
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

4 Massachusetts per round, a kidd and a radar cruiser is pretty much the meta. Toss in a Cossack for flavor.

Possibly the only good thing that may come from this Ranked season would be a reworked universal secondaries mechanic change that tones down the US Mk32 mounts on Massa. 

[RLGN]
Members
13,728 posts
23,949 battles
19 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I’m loving it, lots of DDs out there not familiar with Lo Yang’s “game” :cap_haloween:

lol

So true. Maybe I’ll give her a whirl instead of Akizuki.

Have Kidd, but don’t really like playing her.

[UNNAT]
Members
1,112 posts
5,878 battles
8 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Possibly the only good thing that may come from this Ranked season would be a reworked universal secondaries mechanic change that tones down the US Mk32 mounts on Massa. 

Zero chance of that. If any secondary changes happen you can bet it would be buffs to the weaker ones rather than nerfs to one of the few actually decent ones.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,895 battles
7 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Zero chance of that. If any secondary changes happen you can bet it would be buffs to the weaker ones rather than nerfs to one of the few actually decent ones.

GZ

[BOTO]
Members
1,191 posts
14,381 battles
3 hours ago, Schwanzkopf said:

Using your own criteria, do you really think that you should be playing ranked?

Members
1,028 posts

Ohmigosh - I had a game in which the other DD player and I worked closely together.  We quickly took and held two of three caps and sank both enemy DDs with minimal loss of HP before pivoting to directly support our other teammates.

Members
693 posts
2 hours ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

Just go until you have to get 4 stars in a row if you're strapped on the time you play. Not worth it after that. You can get decent flags and the 2nd league flag and thats quite enough.

This has been my strategy up to Rank 10. Ranks 6-10 require 4 stars to progress, and managing to move up one Rank spot per day isn't so bad.

There are an absolute ton of BBS in the queue, which is great because for me because I plan on only playing the HSF Harekaze with my 19pt gunboat captain. I'd love to use torpedo reload booster for even more damage, but there are a few brave radar cruisers and I've seen a CV in every game so far. Sadly I'll have to stick with smoke.

The most important thing is to NOT WAIT. If you want to play this season, start ASAP. The longer you wait the more likely you are to get stuck with potato teams, which makes the whole Ranked experience more frustrating.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,258 battles

My thought? I'm planning on getting to Rank 15 (is it?) to obtain the Ranked Season Commemorative Flag.  That's it. 

Members
17 posts
208 battles

It's a place for CV players to beat up on everyone with the lower player count.  A really poor mode when you have the imbalance it has and hence why it's ranked BB queue in huge numbers.  Way to go WG.

[-VT-]
Members
686 posts
31,492 battles
4 hours ago, handybilly said:

Ranked is OK but I find that a lot of asshats navigate to rank. Lots of nasty talk and nerd rage going on. Randoms are actually much kinder as a result. I kind of like tier VIII though. The best variety of ships are there. Think it would be fun if they did a Tier V or IV- just for grins. 

You are correct.  The salt is real.

Why?

Well, frankly, people get frustrated.

Ranked is where individual skill shines.  Those that do well in Ranked move up the ladder and generally keep their mouths shut.  At rank 5 and above the salt is almost nonexistent.

But those that don't do so well have a bit of success and then hit a wall.  They find themselves on a roller coaster of sorts, usually between tiers 12 and 6.  Up, down, up, down, etc.  These folks think they should be doing better and start blaming their team, or WG, or ship types, or whatever.  They are frustrated.  The salt pours from them.

Here is a hard fact:  if someone is playing their ship well....they have no time to type out commentary on other players.  They just don't.  Good players are focused on the game and trying to win.  Lesser players are looking for an excuse.