You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pinnacle91

shikishima, bourgogne, stalingrad, or somers

32 comments in this topic

[--K--]
Members
6,714 posts
14,554 battles

What do you like to play and what interests you?

• Cool 3

[QQ7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
85 posts
8,447 battles

Stalin for most competitive clans will be needed, if you're into that sorta thing.

But like Duck said, all about your play style and what you enjoy.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,815 posts
4,613 battles

Bourgogne

Shikishima if you need male enhancement.

The others will be around for a long time.

[WOLF2]
Members
423 posts
5,069 battles

i prefer the stalin, may get shiki next. don't really care much about burger.

• Confused 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
462 posts
15,323 battles

Stalingrad or Somers is best for comp play. 

I’d suggest Stalingrad because it has something you can’t really get from any other ship. Moskva shell arcs with battleship level pen.

i feel if you have none of those. Stalingrad would be the one I’d miss this most if it was ever removed from the Armoury. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
8,841 battles
26 minutes ago, pinnacle91 said:

as title says, i can only have one. help me decide :3

Ducky is right -- just pick the ship based on the ship lines you currently enjoy playing. The question is meaningless without knowing what you like.

And if your real question is "which one of these ships is most broken in the right hands", then probably Bourg.

[HATE]
Beta Testers
9 posts
8,835 battles

yeah, i chose stalin. i almost regret not going for the 510mm daka, but the dispersion and shell velocity is unmatched.

[PISD]
Members
1,113 posts
4,977 battles
2 hours ago, Bortt said:

I’d suggest Stalingrad because it has something you can’t really get from any other ship. Moskva shell arcs with battleship level pen.

Well, the Petropavlosk have those shells also.

[WORST]
Members
155 posts
14,124 battles
7 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Not really. Petro excels at medium ranges, while at long ranges its dispersion goes down the drain.  

[Y0L0W]
Members
462 posts
15,323 battles
11 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Yeah but Petro doesn’t have close to the same consistency of the guns.

Bourgogne is to the Alsace what Jean Bart is to Richelieu. It’s a great ship and very strong but similar playstyle.

Somers has more flexibility but it’s just another torp DD. Nothing really beats the Alpha a shima brings even though Somers has stealthier torps.

Once you experience Stalingrad guns. They’re in a whole new league. It’s not uncommon to dev strike cruisers at max range and do 15-25k salvos on BB’s at 19kms. It’s strong and it’s fun to play.

Edited by Bortt

Members
1,641 posts
11 minutes ago, Bortt said:

Yeah but Petro doesn’t have close to the same consistency of the guns.

Bourgogne is to the Alsace what Jean Bart is to Richelieu. It’s a great ship and very strong but similar playstyle.

Somers has more flexibility but it’s just another torp DD. Nothing really beats the Alpha a shima brings even though Somers has stealthier torps.

Once you experience Stalingrad guns. They’re in a whole new league. It’s not uncommon to dev strike cruisers at max range and do 15-25k salvos on BB’s at 19kms. It’s strong and it’s fun to play.

What is the detection on the Somers torps? If I could get Daring level on the torps it would be most excellent.

Members
1,588 posts
33,990 battles

I have Stalingrad. Good ship in the hands of a hard charging maniac that hates camping.

I want a Shikishima. Because I am a hard charging, coconut oil covered, maniac that hates camping.

French BBs. Nuff said.

If you do the dirty DD thing, Somers is right up your alley. Just don't torp in a dark alley.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
53 posts

im saving for shiki since i found it you can build for long range and accurate secondary guns

[WOLF9]
Members
477 posts
17,036 battles

For me personally:  Stalingrad

Stalingrad has been a grail ship for a few years now.  Should have it by the end of September, sooner if I get my ranked act together.

Somers: No - I don't do DDs

Burgoyne: I have the JB as a FR premium and really like her.

Shikishima - Would be my second choice, but it is a distant second.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,070 posts
3 hours ago, pinnacle91 said:

as title says, i can only have one. help me decide :3

Shiki is an even more broken Yamato. Same horrible and un-historical armor weakness and even worse accuracy and overpen issues. 

If that's not enough, it does LESS damage than Yamato because it has less barrels per turret ..when you math it out, a full broadside, full citadel damage of all barrels, hitting a target would do MUCH less damage than a Yamato's. 

Members
198 posts
5 battles

Well assuming you want the ship that will be the most fun in random battles, then Borg is the clear winner.  It's brilliant fun, extremely strong, and an all around superb ship.  I could not recommend it more.  You do need to be used to picking targets without relying on overmatch however.

If you want a ship for competitive though, Stalingrad is the clear choice.  It has distinct advantages in modes where the BB numbers are limited, and effective health is important for many comps.  Like the Shikishima though, it has a very static play style, so you have to be able to handle that.  I personally think sailing ships like that gives you some of the most boring play styles in the game, but I am aware many people enjoy that sort of thing, so it comes down to personal preference.

Members
2,893 posts
5,558 battles

I'm almost in this boat, too. I can afford Somers with my coupon or I think just about any of them assuming I can rank out again. Really not sure which one I want. I love destroyers, and Somers looks like a good time, but Stalingrad is obviously a monster. I play mainly DDs, but I play cruisers and battleships enough that all the others are valid choices.

[1984]
Members
3,933 posts
18,961 battles

Stalingrad is the no brainer answer.

the real question is what to buy after you have her already. I think all the other options are underwhelming and am currently sitting on my steel hoping something staliner will come around later.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
394 posts
9,962 battles

Stalin--An almost "must have" if you play in Clan Battles. IMO this should be almost everyone's first steel ship. However Petro is let's say a fraternal twin and could easily substitute

Somers--If you like torp boats this is it. Unfortunately the T4 level of AA makes it a little harder to play in today's CV heavy meta.

Bourgie--I don't have it (have the steel and that left mouse button is getting twitchy). If you like French BBs this is the pinnacle.

Shika--I don't have it and likely won't get it.  Definitely NOT your first steel boat. If you already have everything else you want steel boat wise, sure, go for the memes, but otherwise no. Play Yammie instead.

• Cool 1

[PLAS]
Members
67 posts
96 battles
On 7/23/2020 at 9:22 PM, Skyfaller said:

Shiki is an even more broken Yamato. Same horrible and un-historical armor weakness and even worse accuracy and overpen issues.  

to be fair this game is super arcady and in real life at the range most ships fight each other you  could fire 300 rounds without hitting anything.(i think the british for example expected something like 0.03% accuracy) while most players have 25-30% accuracy.

this is why  ships fought broadside to use all there guns. imagine  secondary gun accuracy for your main battery at anything but brawl range. so if it does or does not have that 1 weak spot  does not mean much sense this game is arcade and the yamato/shiki are snipers.

----

and as everyone says go with stalin first if you have any plans of doing clan battle. otherwise it up to whatever you like the most.

[-N-]
Members
2,166 posts
14,583 battles

Personally have the Somers, and I have a lot of fun with it, I play it in randoms and clan battles.  Yes CVs can be tough on you, but that is the challenge.

If you are looking for a bote for Clan Battles - You will probably want Stalingrad

Burgy is something I will be looking into, loved my Alsace before the Nerf, this is the unnerfed Alsace.

Shiki - eh, not my cup of tea.

[B-Z]
Members
97 posts
13,019 battles

Stalin first.

Then 'Borg or Sommers, both are fun in randoms if the class is your thing. Sommers has a bit more use in competitive.

Shiki just looks... bad. I can't remember the last time I played my Yammie, so why would I pay ooodles of steel for a worse one? If I want utterly ridiculous guns, I play Musashi 'til I get a T7 heavy game. Then I am the god of width. Gun Width.