Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Could It Be Time To Consider Bastion Mode Again?

7 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles

Yes Bastion Mode has its flaws in the past from what I have heard, and elements of it were moved to Scenario. But with CVs being such an issue why not tweak it and added back into the mix with a little less anti surface armaments and a lot more AA instead? Would create some hazards that CV Aircraft either have to try and take out or else skirt around it and could be a means of limiting their free passage to fly to anywhere on the map in any manner they choose provided there are not several AA ships clustered together that is.

The question would be if the annoyance to surface ships would outweigh the annoyance to aircraft. Although  we could make thing fair by giving the anti ship guns the same range as the forts, 5 to 6km range. Also would prevent island camping in that battle mode as the fort gun range would be just far enough to prevent island camping, but not far enough to hinder ships passing by.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,696 posts
21,986 battles

Bastion was awesome. They took it out due to the flood of tears of people getting killed by the forts. I'd have no issues with them bringing it back the way it was honestly.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,523 posts
11,013 battles

i never got a Bastion mode match, but ive only ever heard bad things about it, basically boiling down to, "whoever gets the forts first basically has a guaranteed victory" because the fort guns are seemingly OP and stupidly accurate

Edited by tcbaker777

[YOU]
Beta Testers
350 posts
5,585 battles

I always quite liked that mode and was gut wrenched to see it just go away

I can understand why many thought otherwise but WG should've just tweaked it if people wanted to be in such up and arms over it.

[SALVO]
Members
24,233 posts
24,558 battles

I honestly never liked Bastion mode.  It wasn't self-explanatory or intuitive how to play the mode.  That said, it might be possible to find some way to tweak the concept to make it better.  One idea might be to make the forts permanently hostile to both sides with the only option to destroy the forts.

Another option might be to create a "Bastion-enhanced" version of Standard mode, where each team's cap had some (1-3) forts defending their cap.  These defense forts would only be hostile to the enemy team.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles

I never played it.

Here's an idea.  Make forts primarily AA bases, maybe with strong fighters.  In Domination Mode two per side set well back into spawn.  Snipers would be tempted to hang out back there, but they do anyway.  Damaged ships would have somewhere a little safer to run to.  In Standard Mode one fort set toward the center of the cap.  Nothing in Epicenter. Guns would work only against the reds and be relatively short ranged.

Never in Ocean.

#teamOcean

[BOATC]
Members
385 posts
11,089 battles

The problem with bastion wasn’t balance, it was that the aim system didn’t work properly for attacking the stupid spotter towers.

Sign in to follow this