Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Ranked Recommendations - Season 17: Tier VIII Battleships

15 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,622 posts
11,923 battles

We've looked at destroyers and cruisers; now that the season is officially underway, let's talk about what battleships you should (and shouldn't) be playing in Season 17 of Ranked Battles.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,468 posts
14,190 battles

@SeaRaptor The Roma is actually a better choice than the North Carolina in Ranked. Without the Aiming Mod NC shells get really temperamental, while Roma  on the other hand with Aiming Mod and some practice can do well. I use Admiral Luigi Sansonetti on Roma which extends the gun range after I get a ship sunk, and then get the good long range abilities among other perks with him.

The high shell pen is not really a problem because I am mostly needing to shoot at Heavy Cruisers and heavily armored BBs that eat up the shells as full pen damage.

The ship’s stealth, armor, mobility and AA ( yeah sounds odd but the AA has been working for me.) allows the ship to move around as needed and if the guns are not behaving at long range then I get into mid range or even close range depending on the target.

Now I have Bismarck, Amagi, Kii, Richelieu, North Carolina, and Monarch that I agree is bad idea for Ranked. But it's the Roma that keeps calling me to use it in Ranked and each time to good effect.

And even with a wide selection of CAs and DDs at my disposal as well Roma keeps finding itself in my favor. Could just be the way I play it / my luck with using it, but it did well in the Sprint and off to 2 out 2 wins so far in this season using Roma.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,159 posts
20,810 battles

Shout out for my buddy Kii ;-)  You were a bit on the fence with her but her secondaries (not to be confused with Mass/Tirp) are a fantastic help at times when you get in these small maps with DDs running about.  That, with her AA and those that forget her fantastic torp angles push her to the top.

[-K-]
2,622 posts
11,923 battles
9 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

You were a bit on the fence with her but her secondaries (not to be confused with Mass/Tirp) are a fantastic help at times when you get in these small maps with DDs running about.

I kinda was.  I wanted to avoid straight up recommending both Amagi and Kii, but I sort of did in a roundabout way.  

9 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The Roma is actually a better choice than the North Carolina in Ranked.

If she works well for you, then don't take my advice at all.  I just know that I have historically gotten more consistent groupings out of North Carolina's guns than Roma's. =)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,721 posts

Given that many players will be adding it to their fleet right around now, I wonder how Odin will do in the Ranked environment. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,900 posts
8,849 battles

Yeah, Massachusetts is crazy strong. Thought I'd suggest running SI instead of BFT even with a ManSec build. Can't tell you how many times I've used up all five heals on that ship in Randoms, and an extra fighter might come in handy too.

And why Tirpitz over Bismarck? Torps are nice (assuming they don't break before you need them), but hydro has more value, IMO.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,721 posts
3 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Yeah, Massachusetts is crazy strong. Thought I'd suggest running SI instead of BFT even with a ManSec build. Can't tell you how many times I've used up all five consumables on that ship in Randoms. 

And why Tirpitz over Bismarck? Torps are nice (assuming they don't break before you need them), but hydro has more value, IMO.

Bismarck's secondaries are, IIRC, kinda bugged (fire arcs). 

Is SI still needed now that the old "premium" consumables are the standard? 

[G-4W]
Members
40 posts
5,064 battles
36 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Given that many players will be adding it to their fleet right around now, I wonder how Odin will do in the Ranked environment. 

I cannot get her guns to work as of yet so I won’t be using her. 

[-K-]
6,900 posts
8,849 battles
13 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Bismarck's secondaries are, IIRC, kinda bugged (fire arcs).

Oh, didn't know about the bug - unless you consider flat arcs a bug. But Tirpitz has the same secondaries, or am I missing something? My second sentence was about choosing Tirpitz over Bismarck.

13 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Is SI still needed now that the old "premium" consumables are the standard?

I've always ran the premium consumables, so as far as I am concerned there wasn't any changes. And yes, in fact reduction in cooldown time is what makes SI viable, since you get to spam the consumables more often. Mass's heal CD is a mere 38 seconds, which is absurdly fast. You can run through all five charges in exactly five and a half minutes, if you wanted to. As I've mentioned, I run out of all heals on Mass quite often. Is 11k extra HP when you really need it worth more than 10% DPM boost to secondaries? For me, the answer is an unequivocal "yes"

[O7]
Supertester
96 posts
12,088 battles

Odd that Lenin is not mentioned at all. She is the most aggressive BB in the game and can tank well due to her 45mm deck armor and RU DCP. The all guns forward arrangement allows people to bow tank while retaining all her guns, making her easy to use effectively. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,721 posts
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Oh, didn't know about the bug. But Tirpitz has the same secondaries, or am I missing something?

I think it's per LWM that Terpitz does not suffer from Bismarck's bugged arcs.

[-K-]
6,900 posts
8,849 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

I think it's per LWM that Terpitz does not suffer from Bismarck's bugged arcs.

Hm. Didn't know that. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks

[-K-]
6,900 posts
8,849 battles
2 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Odd that Lenin is not mentioned at all. She is the most aggressive BB in the game

[sad Massachusetts noises]

[-K-]
2,622 posts
11,923 battles
2 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Odd that Lenin is not mentioned at all. She is the most aggressive BB in the game and can tank well due to her 45mm deck armor and RU DCP. The all guns forward arrangement allows people to bow tank while retaining all her guns, making her easy to use effectively. 

For me, avoiding Lenin is a personal choice.  I don't care for the "all guns forward" arrangement.  I've never been able to make it work on any of the ships in game that use it.

Edited by SeaRaptor

Sign in to follow this