You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

WoWs on your phone

WoWs on phones?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is it possible?

• WoWs could run nicely on a smartphone.
    • The game is too large or complex for that.
    • I can't imagine fitting a battle onto a tiny screen. Plus the aspect ratio is 90° off.
    • Other (please elaborate)
  2. 2. If WG could fit WoWs onto a smartphone, would you want to play it?

39 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles

Did I say it or did I say it?  The recent UI changes are using "phone" design memes.  Well, now we know the reason.

Soon there will be a closed test session of the Armory adapted for mobile devices. It will have the same functionality as the web and client versions.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/55

Okay, the Armory.  Some people will find that useful as they do the extra-client browser version.  But also the Combat Missions and now the Equipment sections.  So what about the future?  Can you imagine the Port with a similar redesign?

Phone hardware is powerful and could probably run the client with ease.  But WoWs also uses up to 60GB for a mature client installation, and a phone has limited input and output devices. 

So the question:  Where is WG going with this, and do you like it?

Edited by iDuckman

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,205 posts
5,971 battles

Yea.. naw...

Members
62 posts
2,336 battles

No way my middle-aged eyes and hands could play the game on a phone. Already challenging enough with a decent sized monitor and full sized keyboard, heh

• Cool 3

Members
62 posts
2,336 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I can't even play the phone version on my phone.

Exactly

[SYN]
Members
15,728 posts
12,778 battles

yes, possible.

but why would you want to play this game on the phone

file size can be cut down significantly by going with lower resolution textures and lower fidelity audio

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles

There's already a mobile version of the game, so I don't understand the question.

Edited by Edgecase

[SBS]
Members
5,434 posts

I choose I don't do phones.  Of course I have a smartphone, and use it...as a telephone.  Yeah I know, everyone under 30 is laughing at me.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,950 posts
13,161 battles
16 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Phone hardware is powerful and could probably run the client with ease.  But WoWs also uses up to 60GB for a mature client installation, and a phone has limited input and output devices. 

I'm reminded of the scene from the original Naked Gun movie in which Nordberg begins clipping accessories onto his gun in between scenes featuring Drebin. By the time we cut back to him ready to fire, he's assembled a small artillery piece.  I'm hilariously imagining something like that happening here, beginning with a USB adapter and a chain of 4-plug hubs connecting a hard drive, screen, speakers, mouse... basically a full gaming rig with the cellphone sitting at its centre to act as the processor. (Unworkable IRL of course, but enjoy the mental image.)

[TBW]
Members
9,984 posts
16,784 battles

My phone is used as a phone, an address book and a fact checker (Bll sht detector). I don't play games on it, I have a perfectly good computer for that.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,722 posts

I hate touchscreens. 

Plus any phone big enough to be useful for video games is too large to be useful as a phone. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

There's already a mobile version of the game, so I don't understand the question.

Then let me pose it to you in another form.  If WG already has a mobile version, what the [edited] are they doing redesigning the WoWs-PC UI for phones? 

If asked, WG likely would say, "For the convenience of using the redesigned sections, not the whole game, on your phone."  Yet since afaik WG has never officially acknowledged the more-convenient browser access to such as the Armory, it's hard to accept that rationale.

Edited by iDuckman

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,149 posts
12,019 battles

You can already do it with cloud gaming like Geforce NOW or ShadowPC.

[TF16B]
Modder
620 posts
763 battles

Maybe they want to streamline the appearances so that someone from Blitz can jump into the PC version and still feel familiar with the interface, and vice versa.

[INTEL]
Members
2,891 posts
15,673 battles
47 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I choose I don't do phones.  Of course I have a smartphone, and use it...as a telephone.  Yeah I know, everyone under 30 is laughing at me.

I stated a prediction a year ago that a new app would start trending within the next 5 years that would allow you actually talk to someone on your phone.  It will be cutting edge and be all the rage.

We'll get away from this 100 year old teletype functionality.

• Funny 2

[WOLF6]
Members
433 posts
3,382 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

If WG already has a mobile version, what the [edited] are they doing redesigning the WoWs-PC UI for phones?

They aren't.

It's just the armory.  It's so you can buy stuff for the game on your phone.  You can already access the armory from any browser.

https://armory.worldofwarships.com/  (Must be logged in.)

Playstation/Xbox already have mobile storefronts like this.

[SNGNS]
Members
345 posts
5,427 battles

yeah, this is like all these game apps you can get for ps4 games...some are middlingly useful but not all.

but i must say, i can totally see the armoury working for a phone. would probably also help the people who have problems with the ingame armoury (even if wg should really fix that directly)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,170 posts
18,424 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

If asked, WG likely would say, "For the convenience of using the redesigned sections, not the whole game, on your phone."  Yet since afaik WG has never officially acknowledged the more-convenient browser access to such as the Armory, it's hard to accept that rationale.

I use those things all the time (I agree they don't publicize them enough), but the Armory in particular is nice for checking how much currency I have without having to start up the whole client. All those menus are just webpages anyway -- you can even see the Chromium process running in the Task Manager -- but the Armory in particular had a bad habit of having giant thing-of-the-moment popups that just blocked everything and couldn't be closed on mobile.

Chicken and the egg anyway, maybe now that the pages are more universally viewable, they'll feel justified in actually giving them links on the website.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles
34 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

It's just the armory.

No, it's not just the Armory.  It's also Combat Missions (IMO a fail) and Equipment. The Captain's Logbook also trended in that direction.  Some like Campaigns and Commanders sections are not far from it.

The 'phone UI' design philosophy results in the loss of information.  Note particularly titles, art, and descriptions in Combat Missions (gone), labels and even side dependencies in Modules (gone), and current Ship XP everywhere else (gone). 

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
18,176 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Then let me pose it to you in another form.  If WG already has a mobile version, what the [edited] are they doing redesigning the WoWs-PC UI for phones? 

They have being this and dumbing the game and the whole CV rework to made it playable with controllers and not a keyboard for a long run now.

Edited by barbaroja_Ar
typo

[DBRIS]
Members
555 posts
10,344 battles

Classic case of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it. Too old to fumble around with miniature phone screens and less than great fingers.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
18,176 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Where is WG going with this, and do you like it?

Unified version across platforms.

Question: Why the crap would you set up the AA trigger to a "where the commander is facing + a button" while the mechanics work in binary (port & starboard) much more easily assigned to 2 keys?? And much more easy to use to a keyboard + mouse player???

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,679 posts
5,897 battles
5 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

I stated a prediction a year ago that a new app would start trending within the next 5 years that would allow you actually talk to someone on your phone.  It will be cutting edge and be all the rage.

We'll get away from this 100 year old teletype functionality.

Already exists   , WhatsApp has a build in VOIP (call) function.  You can also do video calls with it along with chat and group chat.  Its popular enough that facebook bought it for a total of 4 billion in cash and another 15 billion in facebook shares.   That was 6 years ago  so your prediction is a decade late :P

Edited by eviltane
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,891 posts
15,673 battles
2 hours ago, eviltane said:

Already exists   , WhatsApp has a build in VOIP (call) function.  You can also do video calls with it along with chat and group chat.  Its popular enough that facebook bought it for a total of 4 billion in cash and another 15 billion in facebook shares.   That was 6 years ago  so your prediction is a decade late :P

<sigh> If I have to explain it, it's no longer humorous :-(

The 'Phone' app preceded WhatsApp.  And yet it's probably the only app that hasn't been discovered by anyone under 30.