You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

It is not my job - let us discuss

58 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

If you see me in your match, on your team, know that I see my carrier's role playing out like this... 

I play my match. Which is, I initially locate the majority of the red team. My main targets are cruisers then battleships then carrier. I put destroyers LAST on my target list. 

There is far too much time involved by carrier aircraft to locate, target and attack destroyers. At least for me. Oh, if an opportunity pops up smack in front of me, I might take it - but... 

Destroyers are not my job. 

Destroyers are the job of cruisers, failing then battleships. I prefer to spend time attacking destroyers only when there are no other available targets or they are too close to myself or supporting ships.

If the ship type designed to hunt and kill destroyers cannot do it then there is a balance issue. If they choose not to do it, that is there (your) choice but it does not make them MY job, my responsibility, my targets. 

So, when you see Herr Reitz playing a carrier, you now know my target priorities. tia and have fun out there. 

How do fellow CV drivers see it? 

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,721 posts

Sinking a spotted destroyer is every ship on the green team's number 1 priority.  It doesn't matter the type of ship you are in.

• Cool 9

Members
1,458 posts
23,576 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So, when you see Herr Reitz playing a carrier, you now know my target priorities. tia and have fun out there. 

Noted, but disagreed with.

If I see you in a match (on my team) being threatened by a DD, I'll just let that situation percolate to give you ample time to rethink your priority tree.

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,181 posts
5,940 battles

My job in a CV,  as I see it is to win the game..    Sometimes that means DDs are the victim.   frankly...    There's not a better ship to do it than many of the CVs.   Some cruisers can do it faster, if a DD player makes a mistake.. but they can't do it better and more efficiently, and that DD player can do everything perfectly and still not stop a CV from finding it and sinking it.   I'll do whatever I interpret as being the best thing for my teams chances at winning.      

• Cool 3

[REKTD]
Members
195 posts
8,796 battles
6 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If you see me in your match, on your team, know that I see my carrier's role playing out like this... 

I play my match. Which is, I initially locate the majority of the red team. My main targets are cruisers then battleships then carrier. I put destroyers LAST on my target list. 

There is far too much time involved by carrier aircraft to locate, target and attack destroyers. At least for me. Oh, if an opportunity pops up smack in front of me, I might take it - but... 

Destroyers are the job of cruisers, failing then battleships. I prefer to spend time attacking destroyers only when there are no other available targets or they are too close to myself or supporting ships.

If the ship type designed to hunt and kill destroyers cannot do it then there is a balance issue. If they choose not to do it, that is there (your) choice but it does not make them MY job, my responsibility, my targets. 

What @Burnsy pointed out is correct, everyone needs to target a spotted DD and eliminate it, as DD survival often leads to victory in a match.

I see the CV role including spotting DDs, on the early patrol as you mentioned, and also late in the game when there are vast areas of sea. If you are good at sinking ships, target whatever you want as you will make an impact, but the CV’s scouting abilities are pretty high up on their list of jobs.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,836 posts
9,520 battles

Pretty much what you said

Spot

Spot again if need be

Harass cruisers & BBs

[WOLFB]
Members
3,102 posts
6,902 battles

I think it only makes sense to attack a DD in rocket planes. Torps and bombs are better for other classes. 

[KWF]
Members
4,168 posts
6,337 battles

Look, as someone playing mainly DDs at tiers VIII+, if you leave me be you allow my team an extra set of stealthy eyes to spot and/or cap aside from dealing damage. 

Should you push an advantage versus a ship that often can't do much against you or overextends? Definitely, same as you would fire at the broadside cruiser instead of the bowtanking BB when in a BB most of the time. 

The issues start arising when you add spotting, lack of meaningful methods of defence on the DD's side, and the stupid strength CVs have late game, when AA mounts are often knocked out and most players aren't bunched up.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,381 posts
7,350 battles
11 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I think it only makes sense to attack a DD in rocket planes. Torps and bombs are better for other classes. 

I agree, but needs must when the devil drives. So I try to be reasonably proficient at using any plane type.

Often, even if it takes all my strikes, I can get at least 1 torp hit on a DD. If the DD player is tunneled in on chasing somebody, I can often sink them. That's one CV-DD interaction where skill absolutely matters.

[SEALZ]
Members
840 posts
7,921 battles

Let’s do a hypothetical. Let’s say my current flight is AP Dive Bombers, and weekend I’m flying to my target I happen upon a DD. In this scenario I would drop a fighter plane to keep him spotted as I continue to the target. With ANY other squadron I will put on the brakes and attempt to perform a strike on him. Even if I miss, forcing the DD into a maneuver may doom him or allow my team to bring him down much easier.

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles

As a CV player, the key point needs to be understood here.

IT IS NOT THE CV PLAYERS JOB TO KILL THE DD.

We will spot him, yes. We will strike him if it makes sense (I have HE ordinance...or he is a direct threat to something).

But the CV has MORE IMPORTANT things to do than try to kill a DD that he has spotted for you.

We do not have sufficient DPS (with some exceptions) to deal with killing DDs as first priority.

Torpedoes are only useful against potato DDs. AP bombs are useless. Rockets at lower tiers are only going to do chip damage.

Now, if your CV is USN...or British...then DDs are going to be more of a priority for them...but dont expect an IJN or KM CV to be killing DDs...that is NOT THEIR JOB.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,682 posts
5,244 battles
53 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

True true. Even more so when in a KM carrier. Rockets can of course pen but don't knock modules nearly as well as HE.

It's also not the carriers job to provide the entirety of AA defence.

They do more than just drop fighters.... 

Edited by Sumseaman

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,623 posts

Well I see some agree some do not... for those who agree though, how do we change the mindset of the cruiser/battleship players out there so they indeed see it as part of their job. 

Heck, I've heard it so many times this week, I'm no longer gonna respond... INMJ might work instead. But seriously, how do we change minds? tia

[TDRB]
Members
4,551 posts
12,778 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm not a CV driver but each player has their own set of priorities. While tactics vary and what the enemy team does can & often does change the situation I must ask "how stubbornly do you adhere to these priorities?"

I'm making a point, not criticizing nor am I making accusations about you personally. I do believe the old adage, which we hear many variation," battle plans are great until first contact is made" is true in this game as well as in real life.

[USCC2]
Members
5,861 posts

Do what you want my friend; I do!

Of course that 'what I do', always revolves around trying to win (even if their are objectives/missions involved) - but how to win can vary a great deal each match, so I never have a set way of playing, it just tends to unfold as the match goes along. :Smile_honoring:

[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
364 posts
14,137 battles

so wrong, dds are high priority targets for cvs and good exp. if you don't play like that then you are libility to your team plain and simple. 

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,676 posts
17,478 battles

As a CV guy, I prioritize DDs.  I try to get 'em spotted as soon as possible.  I'll rocket them as best I can.  But spotting is key.  Even if I can't continually spot them to allow focus fire, just the spot is a big advantage.  Because even an old spot is good intel for the team.  It gets stale with time, but when a team know the exact (or approximate) location of enemy DDs....that's BIG!  Big advantage.

If...after a couple of sorties either I...or the team...has not spotted all the DDs...then it's time for a perimeter sweep.  Catch 'em trying to make that end run.  A CV can do this most efficiently with a fighter/rocket sweep.

All said above, I still try to prioritize with each sortie.  If a BB or CA is the best option of the moment,...I'm going after them.   I don't randomly look for DDs or continue to pursue one if the pursuit isn't strategically or tactically sound at the moment.  Also, even if I'm going after a BB or CA, that doesn't mean I can't run a DD spot along the way.   

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles
14 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well I see some agree some do not... for those who agree though, how do we change the mindset of the cruiser/battleship players out there so they indeed see it as part of their job. 

Heck, I've heard it so many times this week, I'm no longer gonna respond... INMJ might work instead. But seriously, how do we change minds? tia

We have to convince WG and the CCs to change the messaging.

7 minutes ago, lordholland4293 said:

so wrong, dds are high priority targets for cvs and good exp. if you don't play like that then you are libility to your team plain and simple. 

Yeah, no.

This oversimplification is not always true...and is often detrimental to the team.

It is the CV job to SPOT the DD. It is not always the CVs job to KILL the DD.

There is an important distinction there...half the CVs do NOT have great anti-DD tools.

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,015 posts
8,792 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You seem to be taking a position that your viewpoint is the absolute correct one when very few people support your perspective (in fact I only really see just one person flat out agree with you)

I believe the mindset that needs to be changed is yours doing the polar opposite of what the CV is capable of doing and rather should compared to other classes.

• Cool 1

Members
1,157 posts
33 battles

What's the saying? With great power comes great responsibility.

If you deliberately decide to fail that responsibility then sure, you can do that in this game. Don't expect to make many friends with that though nor for people to accept it.
(Then again you won't make many friends playing CVs to begin with, so I suppose it doesn't concern you in the first place.)

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,953 posts
16,768 battles

I think every one knows it's a BBs job to get the DDs. You know, rock crushes scissors.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

What's the saying? With great power comes great responsibility.

If you deliberately decide to fail that responsibility then sure, you can do that in this game. Don't expect to make many friends with that though nor for people to accept it.
(Then again you won't make many friends playing CVs to begin with, so I suppose it doesn't concern you in the first place.)

Ill repeat this to all the light cruisers I see built to farm battleships rather than hunt DDs...

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,015 posts
8,792 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I think every one knows it's a BBs job to get the DDs.

And soon BBs will be the best ship to get subs.

• Funny 2
  • Haha 1