Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vikingno2

Clan Battles recommendation

18 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
751 posts
23,837 battles

Seems like every time there is a search for what meme will be the best given the tier selected and conditioned set by WG. This, in my opinion well sort of sucks. You end up with Stalingrad wars, Venezia wars, or lets bring all ship with crawling smoke and a CV and lets not forget the Kleber wolfpack cornicles of 19.

I just doesn't feel right, and its boring.  

This is a simple recommendation, that I have made before.

Just limit ship selection to one of any particular ship. That's it, that simple. If Billy Joe Bob wants to bring a Perth great no one else on the team can.  If its tier ten then same; only one Venezia or one of ( insert whatever new hotness comes out this month) . This would increase variety, make players blend the different strengths of different ships. And keeps people from exploiting whatever quirk a ship happens to have.  Clan battles has a smaller number of ships per team, that make any specials ability exponentially greater do to less numbers. This is exacerbated by WGing push CV's downs everyone's throat. The CV's huge spotting ability and it being mostly immune from any direct damage to the ship for at least half the game compound the issue as I see it. Again with less ships in total and smaller maps this all the thing a CV does very well, many say too well,  is felt even greater

For the next Clan Battles season please limit a clans selection to one of any individual ship. Let try it.

• Cool 2

[DNTZ]
Members
404 posts
19,525 battles

Clan Battles: Highlander Season.  There can be only one.

I think this would be fun to try for a season.

[-VT-]
Members
751 posts
23,837 battles
11 minutes ago, BruDog1970 said:

Clan Battles: Highlander Season.  There can be only one.

I think this would be fun to try for a season.

Great name wish I would have thought of that; kudos to you Sir.  

• Cool 1

[F4E]
Members
116 posts
4,519 battles

I would suggest the limit be placed at two.  Simply so as to not exclude players or clans because it can/might be challenging to constantly have everyone in 6 different T10 ships.  Gotta remember there are a lot of people with only 1 or 2 T10's.

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
524 posts
11,910 battles
18 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Seems like every time there is a search for what meme will be the best given the tier selected and conditioned set by WG. This, in my opinion well sort of sucks. You end up with Stalingrad wars, Venezia wars, or lets bring all ship with crawling smoke and a CV and lets not forget the Kleber wolfpack cornicles of 19.

Just limit ship selection to one of any particular ship. That's it, that simple. If Billy Joe Bob wants to bring a Perth great no one else on the team can.  If its tier ten then same; only one Venezia or one of ( insert whatever new hotness comes out this month) . This would increase variety, make players blend the different strengths of different ships. And keeps people from exploiting whatever quirk a ship happens to have.  Clan battles has a smaller number of ships per team, that make any specials ability exponentially greater do to less numbers. This is exacerbated by WGing push CV's downs everyone's throat. The CV's huge spotting ability and it being mostly immune from any direct damage to the ship for at least half the game compound the issue as I see it. Again with less ships in total and smaller maps this all the thing a CV does very well, many say too well,  is felt even greater

For the next Clan Battles season please limit a clans selection to one of any individual ship. Let try it.

The limit thing is hard.  Going less than 2 of a kind will hurt a lot of clans.  If you only have 7 people on and two of the players only have a Des Moines they won't be able to play.  

[KWF]
Members
4,169 posts
6,337 battles

A recent community event has shown that a points system  for team lineups could be viable with some changes.

[ALOFT]
Supertester
569 posts
14,576 battles
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

I think a limit of one of each ship is too strict, but limiting to two of a ship makes sense. I'd like to see that.

Members
7 posts
416 battles

I believe limiting Clan Battles to 2, possibly even 3 ships that are the same would be fair for limiting ships to only 1 of each would be far too restrictive.   In fact, you may find a limit of 2 of any ship to be even too restrictive.

[-VT-]
Members
751 posts
23,837 battles

3 out of 7 is hardly limiting , in my opinion.

From what I am seeing, which is limited, I really don't think one would be a difficult thing to pull off, if only one person in a clan has the Des then have that person play it, if you wish to bring.

[-VT-]
Members
686 posts
31,498 battles

I have made the suggestion before that there should be single ship or single ship type competitions.  That has yet to happen...BUT...there has been an influx of different ship composition possibilities.

The ship points system mention above.

A limitation on BB/CV numbers.

Clan Brawl where there are only 3 or 4 ships a side with only one of each type.

So things have gotten better. 

Still, it would nice to see a full competition where the ships available was very limited (maybe tech tree only, too?) so that player skilll/ability became more of a factor than ships available to said players.

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,647 posts
5,891 battles

The talk of limits is interesting.  However WG has stated that they want to get to a point where no limits at all are necessary.  

[F4E]
Members
116 posts
4,519 battles

The problem is, there is always going to be a meta.  An optimal ship.  It's impossible to perfectly balance 15+ ships and still retain their unique abilities, strengths, weaknesses.  So we will always see a huge percentage of the ships being played being from a very small, selective group of ships.

The limit idea forces variety.  Of course, there will still be an optimal 7 ships to take.

[-VT-]
Members
751 posts
23,837 battles

But it would be 7 different ships and then it more on team abilities, formations and tactics.  Instead exploiting a ship uniqueness (quirk).  I don't think there would be an optimal.

Ran into 5 Perth , one DD and CV in a clan battle, it just sucked, it was within the rules good on them. But it was crap they just rolled smoke and CV spots done , boring as hell.  We made a game of it but it was just a matter of time.

Edited by vikingno2

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
524 posts
11,910 battles
3 hours ago, vikingno2 said:

3 out of 7 is hardly limiting , in my opinion.

From what I am seeing, which is limited, I really don't think one would be a difficult thing to pull off, if only one person in a clan has the Des then have that person play it, if you wish to bring.

What if 2 of the people only have s des Moines? Not everyone has multiple tier 10 ships. I think the only way they could do a limit of one is if they make all the tech tree ships rentals so people have things to pick

[-VT-]
Members
751 posts
23,837 battles

You can what if everything. Its a clan recruit, ask member so get more. You don't have to have multiple just different that others.  

[--K--]
Members
6,709 posts
14,554 battles

Spotting and concealment is a huge part of the game. When spotting and concealment is easily negated, it leads to min max lineups.

1. DD's are best at spotting. Teams typically bring them for spotting and capping and not so much for damage output. They have low HP and typically bad AA.

2. To negate the DD's ability to spot and cap, teams brought some radar ships.

3. To protect those radar ships from being flanked in their positions and to get cross fire opportunities, teams brought flanking ships like Zao, Henri, Venezia.

4. CV's can spot just as easily as destroyers can, and they spot DD's better. CV's don't lose all their HP when their planes get spotted.

5. Teams started bringing CV's and the usefulness for destroyers was pretty much gone.

6. Teams stopped bringing DD's so the usefulness of radar ships was gone.

7. Radar ships typically camped islands and could get flanked, with no need to protect those spots and with on demand spotting, teams realized that they just needed to outdpm the other team

8. So everyone started bringing the best ships to put out dpm while negating as much damage as possible.

and that's how we ended up in the meta we get.

CV's ruined clan battles as we knew it. Even WG said it was a problem.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this