You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
leeuniverse

Comanders that show "Skills" already on them, Question???

18 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
55 posts
618 battles

So, the commanders that show "Expert Loader" and one or two other skills, do they actually HAVE those skills already?

Cause I'm confused...  When I go into distribute the skills/points, it shows a "+" on those skills, but you can still "select" them.
I was under the assumption those commanders already had those skills, so why are we able to select them using up points?

The reason I'm confused is Commanders that don't have any skills listed, they still have those SAME skills/points that can be selected.
So, what the heck are those skills on those small # of commanders doing?

Confused...

[USRK]
Beta Testers
92 posts
2,445 battles

If it's what I'm thinking of then it's an enhanced version of it that you still have to select. The special captains like John Doe, Gunther Lutjens, and a few others have special enhanced perks that you can select. If it's a basic captain with that then it might be the same thing.

Beta Testers
55 posts
618 battles

So, it's that particular skill still, but it's been "improved" from the normal version of that skill?

Ah ya, you're right...  I see now.
Okay, I see how it works, it's just "enhanced", they don't actually have the skill, you still have to select it.

As an example, "Expert Loader" is normally -50% but the "enhanced" commander skill is -75%.

Thanks

• Cool 4

Members
86 posts
755 battles

Hi LeeUniverse - from WoT forum:Smile_great:

Yeah, that is the answer.  Those skills, once 'learned', are enhanced/buffed.  I just bought my first one after buying my first premium ship - the Tier VI T-61.  My other premiums either came with the game, attained in Christmas  Crates, or were gifted.  I seem to think all of those had 10pt captains (without the enhanced skills).  I did not want to float around the battlespace with a 0 skill captain so I bought the coal Jutland.  Lo and behold, he had two of those buffed skills as options - but the wrong ones for a DD:Smile_trollface:.  Live and learn.

I also found out that the expensive captains not only have multiple buffed skills, but that they also have in-game effects.  Things like fireworks after landing two hundred secondary hits.  Saw a streamer fire that up.  Kinda cool.

Anyway, happy hunting.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,825 posts
13,119 battles
31 minutes ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

Lo and behold, he had two of those buffed skills as options - but the wrong ones for a DD:Smile_trollface:.

Are you sure about that? Enhanced JOAT gets your hydro/smoke/speed boost back faster, Vigilance further helps you not be torpedoed in smoke. To me, the Jutlands seemed tailor-made for German destroyers. Not that they don't have equally valid applications in brawling battleships...

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
887 posts

that is an interesting topic.

how many featured skills can a commander have? it has some specialized for torps? CVs?  BBs? 

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,040 posts
18,152 battles
4 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

how many featured skills can a commander have? it has some specialized for torps? CVs?  BBs? 

You have to look for them in the wiki. I think the most is 3 enhanced skills. But some special ones have another skill that can be enabled after meeting some in battle conditions.

Members
86 posts
755 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are you sure about that? Enhanced JOAT gets your hydro/smoke/speed boost back faster, Vigilance further helps you not be torpedoed in smoke. To me, the Jutlands seemed tailor-made for German destroyers. Not that they don't have equally valid applications in brawling battleships...

Ensign Cthulhu,

I am very much a NewB at this.  I followed LWM's recommendations for the first ten points.  I was looking at Jack of All Trades and Vigilance, but I picked the standard DD skills of Last Stand and Survivability Expert.  Would you recommend changing them - or, making JOAT and Vigilance the next skills to be trained?

The nice thing about skill management in WoWS is that, unlike WoT, I can cross ship classes at a later date.  That is very nice.

Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles

Here are the WOWs wiki-pages on Commanders & Commander Skills, and, on the special abilities of the Unique Commanders.

My understanding is that the buffed abilities don't perform until they're trained-for with skill-points.
The actual wiki page language is somewhat vague and hints that the special skills still work (at least partially) even if training points were not spent on them.
Admittedly, this is something I would like clarified, too.

I wonder if @Mademoisail can help sort this out?

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,796 posts
4,606 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

My understanding is that the buffed abilities don't perform until they're trained-for with skill-points.
The actual wiki page language is somewhat vague and hints that the special skills still work (at least partially) even if training points were not spent on them.
Admittedly, this is something I would like clarified, too.

You can't use the commander bonus unless the commander is trained for that skill.

Can you point me at the text that is vague?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,796 posts
4,606 battles
3 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

You have to look for them in the wiki. I think the most is 3 enhanced skills. But some special ones have another skill that can be enabled after meeting some in battle conditions.

Technically, those are "talents" rather than skills.  Skills always work (if the commander is trained for them).

Talents only work under certain conditions, and never in competitive game modes.

• Cool 1

Members
4,246 posts
9,269 battles
28 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

You can't use the commander bonus unless the commander is trained for that skill.

Can you point me at the text that is vague?

The special talents of Legendary and Heroic Commanders will not activate during a Clan Battle or in a Training Room.
The skill enhancements of unique commanders are always effective.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,796 posts
4,606 battles
3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The skill enhancements of unique commanders are always effective.

Mmm.  I see your point.

Beta Testers
55 posts
618 battles
5 hours ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

Hi LeeUniverse - from WoT forum:Smile_great:

Yeah, that is the answer.  Those skills, once 'learned', are enhanced/buffed.  I just bought my first one after buying my first premium ship - the Tier VI T-61.  My other premiums either came with the game, attained in Christmas  Crates, or were gifted.  I seem to think all of those had 10pt captains (without the enhanced skills).  I did not want to float around the battlespace with a 0 skill captain so I bought the coal Jutland.  Lo and behold, he had two of those buffed skills as options - but the wrong ones for a DD:Smile_trollface:.  Live and learn.

I also found out that the expensive captains not only have multiple buffed skills, but that they also have in-game effects.  Things like fireworks after landing two hundred secondary hits.  Saw a streamer fire that up.  Kinda cool.

Anyway, happy hunting.

Hey Boghie...  Yep, it's me... wee wee.
Finally decided to start investing more into WOWS.

Ya, what I've done is I've bought every single Armory Commander, though can't get the Coal etc. ones yet.
I'm decking out some premiums and some lower tiers with these commanders.  As I play these ships my commanders will build up, and then eventually I can Free XP to really good line ships, or otherwise, and put some of those commanders into those ships, and they will be well trained commanders.

4 hours ago, Felipe_1982 said:

Go to the Armory and look at the commanders there, a few give you skills, that you can buy right now.

I recommend doing what I did above, so you can eventually have a bunch of well built Commanders.
Of course, if you want to save some, you don't have to buy so many, but I did it cause it's a pain always having to swap commanders onto a ship, for now anyway.

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
887 posts
27 minutes ago, leeuniverse said:

Hey Boghie...  Yep, it's me... wee wee.
Finally decided to start investing more into WOWS.

Ya, what I've done is I've bought every single Armory Commander, though can't get the Coal etc. ones yet.
I'm decking out some premiums and some lower tiers with these commanders.  As I play these ships my commanders will build up, and then eventually I can Free XP to really good line ships, or otherwise, and put some of those commanders into those ships, and they will be well trained commanders.

Go to the Armory and look at the commanders there, a few give you skills, that you can buy right now.

I recommend doing what I did above, so you can eventually have a bunch of well built Commanders.
Of course, if you want to save some, you don't have to buy so many, but I did it cause it's a pain always having to swap commanders onto a ship, for now anyway.

I dont plan to swap either... I ws willing to get dashas... but looks like she isnt the best option...

Members
86 posts
755 battles

One thing to watch for...

It looks like you are limited to purchasing one of each - for the whales out there:Smile_teethhappy:.  I don't think I can purchase another coal Captain Jutland, but I think I can purchase a doubloon Captain Jutland.  In another thread I asked what the 'Available for you:  1' meant.  Folks answered that I had the option of attaining one of those captains.  I don't know if that will ever increment...

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,796 posts
4,606 battles
1 hour ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

I don't know if that will ever increment...

It won't, but as you've noticed some have "twins" available for a different currency.