Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SonicAnatidae

When to move from Ranger to Lexiington

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
67 posts
2,172 battles

I have only really played the American CVs. I'm mostly a Cruiser player, but CVs have been a refreshing change, for me, recently. . 

I have been playing the Ranger and have recently unlocked the Lexington. 

My question is, what should I definitely be good at with CVs, before I move from the T6 Ranger to the T8 Lexington?

Overall, I do ok in the Ranger. I did happen to get a Kraken today in it, but that was really just me clearing the walking dead out of the game. Most of them died in 1-2 passes. 

To greater and less degrees, I am able to tight-turn DB/Rocket drop, hit with Rockets/DBs/torps, cross-drop torps, watch the map, move the ship,

use fighters somewhat strategically, know some of the ships/nations with brutal AA, pick useful targets based on current game developments, etc. 

I'm not perfect at any of them, but mostly, I get it. The rest is execution. 

What would you say are the major changes when moving up to T8 CVs in the American line? 

Are there any skills that you might advise I practice on a bit more, since they are more crucial at T8, vs my current T6 CV experience?

Thanks

• Cool 2

Members
234 posts
4,716 battles

You basically covered it.

Knowing what has AA and what doesn't is important, same as knowing when to focus a target and when not to.

A couple major plane changes with the Lexington would be increased volume of bombs, one extra torpedo (a grand total of three now), and stronger rockets. Although the rocket reticle change is in the works, I personally think HVAR are the better choice over Tiny Tims because they have a much higher volume.

The only thing I would add is that it might be helpful to learn how to use the terrain to your advantage. For example, flying your bombers over a mountain to drop on a target on the other side so that essentially no damage is being done to your planes on approach. This also works with rockets and torpedoes to varying degrees.

You're making a great choice with Lexington. Although I have Enterprise, there will always be a special part in my heart for Lexington. Attached is a replay of the best battle I have ever had with her.

As you can see, she has no trouble holding her own, and can be quite the monster in the right hands. I hope it helps.

Considering your awareness of what to do (and not execution as that comes later), I would say that it sounds like you are ready for her.

Best of luck captain! I hope to see you on my team :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles
53 minutes ago, SonicAnatidae said:

I have only really played the American CVs. I'm mostly a Cruiser player, but CVs have been a refreshing change, for me, recently. . 

I have been playing the Ranger and have recently unlocked the Lexington. 

My question is, what should I definitely be good at with CVs, before I move from the T6 Ranger to the T8 Lexington?

Overall, I do ok in the Ranger. I did happen to get a Kraken today in it, but that was really just me clearing the walking dead out of the game. Most of them died in 1-2 passes. 

To greater and less degrees, I am able to tight-turn DB/Rocket drop, hit with Rockets/DBs/torps, cross-drop torps, watch the map, move the ship,

use fighters somewhat strategically, know some of the ships/nations with brutal AA, pick useful targets based on current game developments, etc. 

I'm not perfect at any of them, but mostly, I get it. The rest is execution. 

What would you say are the major changes when moving up to T8 CVs in the American line? 

Are there any skills that you might advise I practice on a bit more, since they are more crucial at T8, vs my current T6 CV experience?

Thanks

Be sure to have at least a 12 point captain. You want all the plane armor and health skills...plus torpedo acceleration.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,922 posts
11,400 battles

In the words of Piccolo - "DOOOOOOOOOODGE!!!". But seriously -your going to see tier 10 matches, and even 9's the number of overly capable AA ships is insane, to say nothing of the increase of passive play meaning larger ship groupings making it harder more often. Minotaur, especially when built to it, is actually more lethal than Worcester - and can't be seen from the air till it start firing AA at you unless it's in smoke and you never see it (which seriously needs to be fixed) as well as a few others in the CL range that are basically 'your being shot at by the time you see them". Other than the top 3 of the gunship line IJN is about the only nation you can really bully. Anything else your not up on dodging, your gonna find out very quick how 'unlimited planes' isn't as unlimited as the people crying about CV's having unlimited planes think it is. 

Also - target path prediction, shooting blind, and use of terrain. More DD players are going to be smart and have AA off, and between speed and attack run time, you'll have to fly far enough out at times you'll lose sight of the DD and try to figure out what course changes he may make based on the situation. Also applies when using terrain (may not see the target till the last second and need to be mi attack run to have a chance at hitting) and shooting ships using smoke. Tracing fire back to a concealed ship, be it AA or main battery, will become important for getting rid of DD's or attacking cruisers you have to attack by mid-endgame. As long as it doesn't go buggy and shoot through it - terrain use is your friend to limit how much time your planes are in AA. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles

Before moving to T8, I find unlocking all 3 T8s helpful. Not to use necessarily, but to give you time to practice and learn what other lines are good and bad at. T8 is a big step up in difficulty, and it took me quite a lot of matches to feel ready.

[POP]
Members
927 posts
8,419 battles

The single best bit of advice I can give you regarding the difference between t6 and t8 is have patience.  As a cruiser captain you are likely used to getting into position and letting the fight work it's way to you.  With higher tier CV the same patience will save planes.  CV do their best work late game, you needs planes left to do so.  Early game you are the biggest if not only threat for most ships so they are ready for you, AA stacked and ready to dodge.   Wait till ships are distracted and hit them.  Force movement you teammates can capitalize on.  Let that dd think you are uninterested in him until he is in a gunfight with a friendly dd and cant go dark.

• Cool 1

Members
1,562 posts
33,845 battles

Yeah, I think you covered it. Maybe be patient, spot more I initially, and know that some AA division is out there.

The trick with AA divs is to spot them rather than attack.

Once upon a time, 3 Woosters div sailed expecting me to attack right away. But instead, I spotted them and my teammates crushed two and I sank the near dead one.

If you know of a no fly zone, just let the team have fun lighting them up.

There will be games you support and games you do well.

But players respect the CV player that selflessly spots effectively throughout and while you might be on mop up duty, those teammates will appreciate your teamwork. That in itself,  is what combat air support is.

[WOLFB]
Members
67 posts
2,172 battles

Thank you all for the advice. Lately, I've been using terrain to attack blind, but I'm still mastering it. 

I expected AA to get worse, but it sounds like I was still underestimating it. 

As far as ships with lower concealment, I've run across a few during T6 play that don't appear until the last moment/vanish while circling back. 

I've done ok against those targets, as I've been predicting ship movements as a CL player for awhile now. 

Please keep the tips coming, if anyone else has any other suggestions and again, thanks for taking a moment to post.

edit: I watched that replay. That was awesome. I'll have to remember to ram someone with my CV in a future game.. lol  ;)

Edited by SonicAnatidae
  • Cool 1

[TBB]
Members
375 posts
3,535 battles

Only gets harder, but to answer question, when you want. It's a game so have fun.

Sign in to follow this