You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

44 comments in this topic

[PYK]
[PYK]
Beta Testers
105 posts
1,598 battles

Do you have any suggestions for the optimal equipment and captain skills for German CVs (aircraft carriers)?

Thanks in advance

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,724 posts
19,707 battles

Secondaries. 

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,867 posts
12,501 battles

Same gear and skills as you would put on any IJN CV.

The planes are fragile, so max aircraft durability and speed.

Use modules to improve whatever your aircraft of choice is.

That's about it, they don't need IFHE or anything special, and like all CV's, they shouldn't take torpedo acceleration.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,023 posts
12,961 battles

Here mine with the Capt that gonna sit on top of the Richtofen !

shot-20.07.08_17.58.40-0346.jpg

Edited by dad003
  • Cool 1

[STORM]
Supertester
5 posts
21,703 battles

Last Gasp, Air Superiority, Improved Engine Boost (1 pts)
Torpedo Acceleration, Improved Engines (2 pts)
Aircraft Armor, Survivability Expert (3pts)
Concealment Expert (4 pts)

This leaves you with two points to spend as you wish. You do NOT need Sight Stabilization as your planes already aim quickly.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
1 hour ago, Whitebuster said:

Do you have any suggestions for the optimal equipment and captain skills for German CVs?

Thanks in advance

The Tier-4 Rhein and Tier-6 Weser don't have enough secondary battery guns for a full-on Graf Zeppelin meme-build.
But the Tier-8 August Parseval and Tier-10 Manfred Von Richtofen do have enough guns to make it worthwhile.

I suggest the following skills for a "CV build"
Tier-1 = Improved Engine Boost
Tier-2 = Your choice of "Last Stand" (so you won't be 'dead in the water'),  Improved Engines, Torpedo Acceleration
Tier-3 = Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert.  These are "must have" skills to improve the chances of the planes survival while inside AA Flak bubbles.
Tier-4 = Concealment Expert

Leftover skill points, if any, can be spent on Air Supremacy and Direction Center For Fighters or Last Gasp

A secondary battery build would add in the Tier-4 Skill of Advanced Firing Training.  If there are spare points, then Basic Firing Training could be added.  At some point, the skills add up to 19 points.  But most Captain's only have 10 or less to work with.

Here's my Graf Zeppelin Captain's Skills
shot-20_07.22_23_46.16-0779.thumb.jpg.984582b1822040f3d1ae0d0bd548c40a.jpg

Edited to add my Rhein's Captain Skills
shot-20_07.22_23_57.36-0087.thumb.jpg.d61de33f785f16dec7a42b511e35d631.jpg

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,655 battles
5 minutes ago, I_Cant_Hiryu said:

Last Gasp, Air Superiority, Improved Engine Boost (1 pts)
Torpedo Acceleration, Improved Engines (2 pts)
Aircraft Armor, Survivability Expert (3pts)
Concealment Expert (4 pts)

This leaves you with two points to spend as you wish. You do NOT need Sight Stabilization as your planes already aim quickly.

Is concealment that necessary? I chose Sight Stabilization to help target DDs on the second pass with torps.

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
4 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Is concealment that necessary? I chose Sight Stabilization to help target DDs on the second pass with torps.

There are ships that can *blap* another ship from 20 km away or further.  If a CV is detected, it becomes a priority target.
Reducing the detection radius improves the CV's chances of survival and reduces the plane's detection radius, too.  

[TBB]
Members
431 posts
3,655 battles
19 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

There are ships that can *blap* another ship from 20 km away or further.  If a CV is detected, it becomes a priority target.
Reducing the detection radius improves the CV's chances of survival and reduces the plane's detection radius, too.  

True true.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,158 posts
6,107 battles
45 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Tier-6 Weser don't have enough secondary battery guns for a full-on Graf Zeppelin meme-build.

?

Rhein, yes. But Weser? :Smile_amazed:

Weser has a total of ten 105mm guns. Parceval has twelve. I don't think having two less is a grounds for saying that she does not have enough guns. :Smile_amazed:

• Thanks 1

Members
256 posts
15,691 battles

Also, concealment means your fast planes are on top of enemies that much faster, giving them less chance to turn or launch catapult fighters.

Air Superiority, Improved Engines, Aircraft Armor, Concealment are the core.

That leaves 9 to play with (or 13 if you don't want concealment or if one of the line doesn't benefit well from it. I only have the GZ and the Rhein, and recommend it there).

I run AFT, BFT, Adrenaline Rush. On the GZ because I brawl with it, on the Rhein because the AA buffs matter more when you're the only ship with AA (and because survivability expert doesn't do as much down there, and its planes seem less fragile).

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
6 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

?

Weser has a total of ten 105mm guns. Parceval has twelve. I don't think having two less is a grounds for saying that she does not have enough guns. :Smile_amazed:

Thanks.  When I previously looked at the wiki stats, I focused on the "5" and forgot to do the math for the "5 x 2" = 10.  :-)

So, with a 20% range increase from Auxiliary Armaments module, the range could be extended to (5 km x 1.2) = 6 km.
Getting Advanced Firing Training skill for the Captain would further increase the firing range by 20%.  So, (6 km x 1.2 ) = 7.2 km

At Tier-6, that is very respectable.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Weser

Edited to add:

But, at Tier-6, it is the Erich Loewenhardt that really makes a secondary-battery meme build worth it.
150 mm L/55 MLC/36    8 х 2 pcs.
105 mm L/65 Dop. L. C/31    5 х 2 pcs.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Erich_Loewenhardt

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles

@Wolfswetpaws, a couple of questions/points.

1) Why Last Stand?

2) At the moment, the Loewenhardt as is described in port by CCs (which they are allowed to do) has HE bombs. It occurs to me that the optimal captain for this build WOULD include demolition expert, unlike any of the others - and it might enhance the secondaries as well. 

3) If you wanted to go full meme and drop a secondary-spec captain into the two premium for last-ditch defence or trolling CV-hunter divs, remember that MFCS doesn't work anywhere near as well at Tier 6 as Tier 8.

4) Taking Aircraft Armour, Survivability Expert AND Concealment Expert requires a 13 point build. In which order do you take these skills, assuming you have a 10 pointer to start with and must build them up. I have the two that I got with the Odin and the Duplicate Graf Spee; one will go in the Weser, which I currently have, and the other in the Parseval when I get her. My Rhein is now redundant and will never be played outside of co-op.

Members
404 posts
3,821 battles
7 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

?

i am still mad becouse of how few secondary guns they got, Instead of creating a line like the GZ that was actualy planned with it monster secondary guns array they give us a bunch of carriers with 2x2 / 2x3 small ones :Smile-angry:  

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Why Last Stand?

2) At the moment, the Loewenhardt as is described in port by CCs (which they are allowed to do) has HE bombs. It occurs to me that the optimal captain for this build WOULD include demolition expert, unlike any of the others - and it might enhance the secondaries as well. 

3) If you wanted to go full meme and drop a secondary-spec captain into the two premium for last-ditch defence or trolling CV-hunter divs, remember that MFCS doesn't work anywhere near as well at Tier 6 as Tier 8.

4) Taking Aircraft Armour, Survivability Expert AND Concealment Expert requires a 13 point build. In which order do you take these skills, assuming you have a 10 pointer to start with and must build them up. I have the two that I got with the Odin and the Duplicate Graf Spee; one will go in the Weser, which I currently have, and the other in the Parseval when I get her. My Rhein is now redundant and will never be played outside of co-op.

1.  My CV's sail close to the action sometimes, and on occasion have been hit by gun fire from BB's Cruisers, DD's and even other CV's.  I sank a Lexington with my Shokaku in a 1 vs. 1 Ranked sprint battle.
So, the chances of *me* and *my ships* getting their engines or steering incapacitated are worth the two skill points.  I can live without the increased cruising speed for aircraft, and slower planes turn tighter anyway.  Being dead in the water is not acceptable.  :-)

2.  If the CV has HE bombs, then Demolition Expert becomes a nice option.  :-)

3.  Agreed.  Manual Fire Control for Secondary-batteries doesn't become effective until Tier-7.

4.  Aircraft Armor shaves 10% off of incoming AA damage to planes.  Survivability Expert increases the HP (before getting shot at) by 350 HP per tier of the ship and 25 hp per tier of the plane. 
These are core skills, in my opinion, for any CV build. 
One could live without one of the three (SE, A-A, CE,) for a while, especially at Tier-4 and probably Tier-6.  But at Tier-8 the range of opposing guns increases significantly and the chances of the CV's hull getting targeted increase.
Of the three, if I was short on skill points, I would live without Concealment Expert until I could get it.  At Tier-8 and up, a player may be spending Free-XP (or even buying it with doubloons) to increase the skill points for a Captain.

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
40 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...assuming you have a 10 pointer to start with and must build them up.

Here's my 10-point Captain's Skills for my Rhein
shot-20_07.22_23_57.36-0087.thumb.jpg.095a744585f2986561925509af4eb0c7.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
13 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Of the three, if I was short on skill points, I would live without Concealment Expert until I could get it. 

That's what I was after. Thanks.

If I end up grabbing a few extra dubs to get myself the Kaga, I will probably take CE first. As I learned last time I rented her, the stealth of those planes is very close to their torpedo range and surprise attacks are possible.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I end up grabbing a few extra dubs to get myself the Kaga, I will probably take CE first. As I learned last time I rented her, the stealth of those planes is very close to their torpedo range and surprise attacks are possible.

[Wolfswetpaws]  "Adjutant."
[Herbert Laue]  "Alpha?"
[Wolfswetpaws]  "Gunzo Chihaya is in command of the Kaga, pending the arrival of a suitable submarine for him to command.  After some correspondence with @Ensign_Cthulhu, I'm curious about a capability to aerial attack from stealth.  Bring me Gunzo's personnel file, please."
[Herbert Laue]  "At once."

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

[Wolfswetpaws]  "Adjutant."
[Herbert Laue]  "Alpha?"
[Wolfswetpaws]  "Gunzo Chihaya is in command of the Kaga, pending the arrival of a suitable submarine for him to command.  After some correspondence with @Ensign_Cthulhu, I'm curious about a capability to aerial attack from stealth.  Bring me Gunzo's personnel file, please."
[Herbert Laue]  "At once."

[Wolfswetpaws]  "Hmmm.  Not enough skill points currently available for adding Concealment Expert.  Gonna have to live without it for a while."

shot-20_07.23_09_22.49-0768.thumb.jpg.d6afc73fd829570a80c83592a365d6fc.jpg

[WOLF8]
Members
7,158 posts
6,107 battles
1 hour ago, pepe_trueno said:

i am still mad becouse of how few secondary guns they got, Instead of creating a line like the GZ that was actualy planned with it monster secondary guns array they give us a bunch of carriers with 2x2 / 2x3 small ones :Smile-angry:  

It's still a respectable suite of secondaries that are good as a DD repellent, when you specc for it. GZ's secondaries are awesome, being able to tackle just about anything, but in exchange her planes are pretty lackluster. The tech tree German CV's suffer less from this problem, as their planes aren't as bad as GZ's... rather they're just very wonky to use. Still, you can set fires with the 105mm pop guns of the tech tree German CV's just fine, on a non-DD target, should you choose.

That's just me though, as YMMV.

[PYK]
[PYK]
Beta Testers
105 posts
1,598 battles
12 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

My current build. Consider swapping out concealment mod 1 for squadron consumables mod 1 because its fun having 20 second engine boost consumables.

image.thumb.png.e2c8d18999f97dc6f27a1e73346542b6.png

image.thumb.png.7b422258f071861517c0def388f6d3d8.png

Would it be worth it to swap out secondary battery modification at slot 3 for any aircraft-related upgrade options?

[WPORT]
Members
4,340 posts
9,319 battles
22 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

Would it be worth it to swap out secondary battery modification at slot 3 for any aircraft-related upgrade options?

Only if you intend to stay out of harm's way.
If you plan on getting in to secondary-battery clashes ( "sail me closer, I want to hit them with my sword" ), then having the range of secondary batteries maxed out for performance makes sense.

• Cool 1

[UNNAT]
Members
1,123 posts
5,885 battles
2 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

It's still a respectable suite of secondaries that are good as a DD repellent, when you specc for it. GZ's secondaries are awesome, being able to tackle just about anything, but in exchange her planes are pretty lackluster. The tech tree German CV's suffer less from this problem, as their planes aren't as bad as GZ's... rather they're just very wonky to use. Still, you can set fires with the 105mm pop guns of the tech tree German CV's just fine, on a non-DD target, should you choose.

That's just me though, as YMMV.

I would honestly disagree. GZ has 2/3 squadrons better than the tree ships(we don't talk about her AP bombers though).  Hell, her TB squads are pretty much straight upgrades from the T10's.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
964 battles

Can't wait to test these builds once I finally get my hands on some of these...and the mountain 7km missile bombing runs...