Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gbgentry

Ranked Battles aka Saipan’s “Last Ride”

10 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts

Time to get in a few last battles with her before the reticle change hits her with an aluminum bat...  :cat_paw:

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles
20 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Time to get in a few last battles with her before the reticle change hits her with an aluminum bat...  :cat_paw:

For Rockets?

Saipan is effectively useless without its fighter gimmick anyway, especially after being shoehorned into Tier 8, lubed by lame excuses. (It’s for all intents a c-hull Independence with souped up planes...)

Fine in Co-op, long since past usefulness in Randoms... Unless you’re a masochist, reveling in 60% suffering, while you pray for the 40% of games where you can still be influential.

Good luck, you’ll need it.

(edit)

Seriously; I’d love you to prove me wrong and Rank out.

Good luck again.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Thanks 1

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts
18 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Seriously; I’d love you to prove me wrong and Rank out.

Good luck again.

Got up to 5 with her last time & was happy with it.  I’m married with kids so I consider myself lucky if I can get 2 games in/day.  Play every day?  Not gonna happen.  Still, I had quite a few 100k damage games in her (plus one 90+ that was 4kill and I’d forgotten to give her flags :Smile_hiding:)   so we’ll see...

[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles
19 hours ago, gbgentry said:

I have the Saipan,  she was my first premium ship and have had her since rts days.  She is one of my all time favorite premium ships.  With that said she has been hit harder than most with all the nerfs post 8.0 and as a result is a bit of a liability.  Her dispersion coupled with limited number of rockets/dive bombs per strike make hitting DD's too RNG dependent.  The aiming time on her torpedoes and speed of them makes hitting anything not sitting still very challenging.  Her small hangar and terrible regeneration make even simply spotting a dangerous proposition as a single unexpected flak cloud from a unsorted kidd can gimp you for the rest of the game.  Don't get me wrong, I actually think she is the closest thing to a "balanced" cv in the game right now.  She is just too far outclassed by pretty much every other T-8 CV.

I took my Enterprise and made it to 10 in 4 games.  Good luck.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts
34 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I have the Saipan,  she was my first premium ship and have had her since rts days.  She is one of my all time favorite premium ships.  With that said she has been hit harder than most with all the nerfs post 8.0 and as a result is a bit of a liability.  Her dispersion coupled with limited number of rockets/dive bombs per strike make hitting DD's too RNG dependent.  The aiming time on her torpedoes and speed of them makes hitting anything not sitting still very challenging.  Her small hangar and terrible regeneration make even simply spotting a dangerous proposition as a single unexpected flak cloud from a unsorted kidd can gimp you for the rest of the game.  Don't get me wrong, I actually think she is the closest thing to a "balanced" cv in the game right now.  She is just too far outclassed by pretty much every other T-8 CV.

I took my Enterprise and made it to 10 in 4 games.  Good luck.

Torp speeds no worse than other USN CVs so I never had an issue and I can land enough TT strikes on DDs to be ok;  Mainly use them to light fires quickly on bigger targets, however.  Testing in PT Server shows that those days will soon be over.  The new reticle is just horrible.

What’s ironic is that, even though I was a IJN CV main, I liked Saipan so much that I didn’t feel the need to justify Enterprise‘s price-tag.  Don’t forget, Enterprise was largely viewed as meh until just before she was pulled.

[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles

I don't recall anyone calling Enterprise meh but if they did it is probably because they did not know how to use her AP bombs and likely tried to use her rockets like the TT's.  The Big E's strength is in the versatility of her ordinance.  Her torpedo bombers settle in aiming very quickly with very little penalty for moving while aiming.  This allows for easy cross drop set ups when needed or dropping torps around the corner of islands.  Saipan takes about 4 KM to fully aim and if you move at all you are pretty much screwed.  The difference between the two is very much similar to the difference between the standard and upgraded torps on the Midway.  There is a reason many people use her standard torps even though there is less damage per drop.

Her rockets are excellent because of the sheer number of them compared to her dispersion.  The complete saturation means even poorly executed strikes will still net damage.  They do pretty well at starting fires too.  TT's are better at starting fires and alpha on BB's but that's about it.

Her AP bombs, well they absolutely wreck cruisers and German BB's and the damage is largely unrecoverable due to citadel hits.  Saipan's dive bombers were slightly better IMO before the nerf that prevented the ability to sling all your bombs into the top center of the reticle (I think that was 8.2).  Now her dive bombers suffer from the same dispersion vs few ordinance issues as her TT rockets do.  Really only reliable on BB's.  I can't tell you haw many perfect drops I have made on cruisers and DD's only to see all 4 bombs drop off into the small sliver of reticle not over the ship and hit water.  When they do land, wow they wreck stuff but if you are like me (if I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all) they will leave you screaming at your comupter with frustration.

Then there is Hangar space and plane regen.  The Big E has nearly Kaga level hangar size and plane regeneration.  Saipan's gimmick was T10 planes which prior to 8.6 (if i remember correctly) when AA damage was spread out among the entire squadron you could mitigate damage with the larger per plane health pool.  If you got into trouble you could alos F key out and save your planes.  If you played her smart you could limit losses and keep full squadrons till the end of the match when you are most useful.   Now that AA damage is sequential and the F key spam has a delay there is no way to avlod plane losses even on softer targets.  The Saipan was not designed to deal with that.  No to mention you have run into ships like Halland that if the play smart and leave their AA off until they are detected, you are guaranteed to loose the entire squadron before you can get away.  Kidd can do the same thing to you in ranked.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Saipan, I think I have over 400 games and my highest WR still in her and my average damage is still higher than that of the Big E.  Most of that is likely due to the fact that I don't play her much since all the recent nerfs and my limited experience in the BigE.  I see this next nerf just making this more so.

Whether they nerf all the other ships or buff the Saipan I do really hope the balance her out someday so I can start playing her again without feeling like I have to apologize in advance for bringing her out.

Screenshot (29).png

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts

@HallaSnackbar today - “I don't recall anyone calling Enterprise meh but if they did it is probably because they did not know how to use her AP bombs and likely tried to use her rockets like the TT's.”

and from last April - “If you have the Saipan there is no reason to get the Enterprise IMO.  Saipan is the best t8 premium CV.”    LOL

Really until one of the updates last summer that nerfed plane speeds, Enterprise was considered just ok.  Once plane speeds, her main designed drawback to that point, got brought more in line with others as it wasn’t hit as hard (since there wasn’t a lot of speed to hit), she started to shine.

Once Saipan can’t effectively use her TTs, with all of her other drawbacks, she won’t be nearly as effective ☹️

Edited by gbgentry

Members
4,236 posts
9,256 battles

Because Saipan lacks secondary batteries, it is tough to get a "Close Quarters Expert" award.  ;-)

But, if you want the planes and have the $$, then enjoy.  :-)

[POP]
Members
925 posts
8,419 battles
36 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

@HallaSnackbar today - “I don't recall anyone calling Enterprise meh but if they did it is probably because they did not know how to use her AP bombs and likely tried to use her rockets like the TT's.”

and from last April - “If you have the Saipan there is no reason to get the Enterprise IMO.  Saipan is the best t8 premium CV.”    LOL

Really until one of the updates last summer that nerfed plane speeds, Enterprise was considered just ok.  Once plane speeds, her main designed drawback to that point, got brought more in line with others as it wasn’t hit as hard (since there wasn’t a lot of speed to hit), she started to shine.

Once Saipan can’t effectively use her TTs, with all of her other drawbacks, she won’t be nearly as effective ☹️

Yeah, both statements were correct.  Prior to nerfs Saipan was a beast and I never said the Big E was meh as I did not have her yet.  I bought her just before going unavailable.

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
886 posts
56 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Yeah, both statements were correct.  Prior to nerfs Saipan was a beast and I never said the Big E was meh as I did not have her yet.  I bought her just before going unavailable.

Not saying you said she was meh but a lot of others did.  Until shortly before she was pulled, she was viewed by a large portion as such.  Not really relevant to a potential death blow to the Saipan, however.

Sign in to follow this