You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Ships with only two turrets should have one unbreakable one (permanently, not temporarily)

27 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
856 posts
16,494 battles

Yesterday I was breaking guns on an enemy Jean Bart, and it seemed to me to be a bit much.

Perhaps make one of the turrets temporarily breakable, but not permanently breakable. That way they aren't reduced to a human torpedo.

Just an idea.

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[OIL-1]
Members
916 posts

Yeah, that's the first thing I learned when I got my JB. Don't know how I missed that part in all the reviews I read. Turret armor is made of cardboard.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,817 posts
13,283 battles
4 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Yesterday I was breaking guns on an enemy Jean Bart, and it seemed to me to be a bit much.

Perhaps make one of the turrets temporarily breakable, but not permanently breakable. That way they aren't reduced to a human torpedo.

Just an idea.

I'm not saying that I've literally had a battle where I was in an almost full health JB and no main battery but.......

Secondary build barges!!! :Smile_izmena:

-Hapa

• Funny 3

[BB22]
Members
542 posts
6,632 battles

Breaking turrets is one of the most enjoyable counters to bow tanking bbs. 

Jean bart is fast, it has weak turrets, don't sit nose to nose with someone who can break them. 

[KWF]
Members
4,169 posts
6,337 battles

For ships like Richelieu and JB there should be the actual historical system of the turrets having separate gun housings for each 2 guns. So in truth you would have to knock out 4 separate positions to silence all of their guns.

That could be a nice addition to have, would help with the issue you mention and be a nice nod to the actual design.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 11

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,148 posts
18,373 battles

There's always the Final Torpedo

Edited by Edgecase
  • Funny 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,659 posts
13,997 battles
43 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Jean bart is fast, it has weak turrets, don't sit nose to nose with someone who can break them. 

Traditional bow tanking does not work with the MN ships. Instead you have to angle off 15 or so degrees.

[BB22]
Members
542 posts
6,632 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Traditional bow tanking does not work with the MN ships. Instead you have to angle off 15 or so degrees.

Right, but I was speaking as a general rule.  I know the op was talking about 2 turret ships.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,837 posts
7,308 battles
4 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

There's always the Final Torpedo

Sometimes you have to go full torpedo.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,903 battles
56 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Very valid counter to ships that are strong bow tankers. 

42 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

For ships like Richelieu and JB there should be the actual historical system of the turrets having separate gun housings for each 2 guns. So in truth you would have to knock out 4 separate positions to silence all of their guns.

That could be a nice addition to have, would help with the issue you mention and be a nice nod to the actual design.

In fairness, this should be true at least for the A turret. Ganking the B barbette would probably take out the turret entirely, so I wouldn't apply it to the B turret. 

This in effect gives the JB 3 turret survivability. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[BBICT]
Members
3,735 posts
3,874 battles

I must just be lucky, but I have a ton of games in a Dunk, and I've never had both turrets go down. I even went nose to nose, like less than a km away from another Dunk, while we pounded on each other...we chatted while our guns reloaded:

"Hi."

"Hello"

"Should we try HE?"

"Na"

"I think I'm winning?"

"Maybe"

Neither one of us broke a turret...RNG?

• Haha 1

Members
243 posts
15,640 battles

If anything, I wish WG would make more turrets breakable. Reward aiming and people able to adapt.

(but they won't and they shouldn't, because it's unfun and too RNG based)

In my experience driving the Rich and JB, both turrets down happens so infrequently that I don't think we need special cases for them.

Edited by Telastyn

[TDRB]
Members
4,553 posts
12,779 battles
4 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Just an idea.

I'm somewhat reluctant to say this but here goes. One argument for CV's regenerating planes was how useless a CV was once deplaned. Secondaries are  Planes are the same as the main guns on a surface warship. I believe a turret regen triggered when the last main guns are destroyed would be a welcome change.

Before you say anything, no, the regen should not start if the ship has operating torpedo tubes.

[4HIM]
Members
2,960 posts
11,588 battles

I remember one battle in the Graf Spee.  Lost both turrets and both torp launchers.  Only option is to become the slowpedo.

[SPTR]
Members
3,772 posts
767 battles
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Planes are the same as the main guns on a surface warship.

P.Sure planes are more expensive when they get destroyed.

• Boring 1

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles

All turrets are breakable and it depends on where you hit it some are direct, some side, some behind, and others at the deck belt. It's all about the armor scheme.

Knowing where to hit a ship to crack a turret is the reward for good aiming.

And that it why bow tanking can only get you so far. So bow tank carefully.

I don't think any ship should have an immunity to one turret.

If a JB has been deprived of his main guns, then he better be ready with his secondaries. Otherwise, prepare to be boarded, have your waifu captain siezed, and most of the crew pillaged.

:Smile_izmena:

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,825 posts
13,119 battles
18 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Knowing where to hit a ship to crack a turret is the reward for food aiming.

I think you mean GOOD aiming? :Smile_veryhappy:

[SIGG]
Members
51 posts
2,647 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unless you get a taco for aiming well?  I'm down for that feature. :D   

Members
650 posts
5 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Yesterday I was breaking guns on an enemy Jean Bart

Remember turrets have armoured faces, if you don't want them knocked then don't present your target a flat side, angle them away from the target between shots. 

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sorry, I fat fingered my phone. Stuck at work.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles
3 hours ago, Tango555 said:

Unless you get a taco for aiming well?  I'm down for that feature. :D   

I hate my phone sometimes...

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,922 posts
11,400 battles
8 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Just an idea.

And at what point is that fair to 3 and 4 gun ships? Years back one of my 5 turret ships lost 4 turret's in short order from consecutive a battleship, a second BB, and a DD torpedo. My Kongo once lost all four turrets. Few months back I destroyed two and disabled one on an Izumo in 3 back to back salvo's from my Musashi. Should have seen the salt from the Iowa class player where I only destroyed one turret - his rear, but because my Buffalo could stay out of an angle for the forward guns just stayed behind him blasting away. What about cruisers and DD's that have the same situation on occasion too? You can't really assure 4 ships that I recall off hand to have 50% firepower unless you are going to do it for every other ship as well. 

And unlike most - I choose Preventive Maintenance over Priority Target just to make sure main batteries and torp tubes and all aren't taken out. And I openly admit I exploit that fact and target the main battery or TT on a ship to disable/destroy them - which is why I say if your gonna fix a couple, you need to fix them all. 

9 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I'm not saying that I've literally had a battle where I was in an almost full health JB and no main battery but.......

Secondary build barges!!! :Smile_izmena:

-Hapa

Reason's I use the 'manly' build on most BB's or a variation of. :cap_rambo: