Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

“Save a Star” Needs to Either be Removed or Reworked

16 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles

As it stands, it is far too easy for a Massachusetts or a CV to save a star versus someone in a DD or a cruiser. The mechanic as a whole promotes bad practices, where running and hiding and doing very little to change the outcome of the game gets you to keep going forward, whereas taking caps and doing meaningful damage gets punished. 

Now I’m going to rant because the first four games in ranked have been awful. People are clueless and running ships that have no business being there. I saw an enemy Odin 1 v 3 an Abermarle, a Charles Martel, and an Alabama by himself whilst getting pelted by our Enterprise. Speaking of CVs, I keep getting the CVs that find ways to get themselves killed. Either that, or the CV I do get is basically next to useless (Hi Graf Zeppelin). I don’t know what else I could be doing to better my games in Akizuki, but I feel I’m busting my [edited]and my team is literally throwing the moment they spawn in.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[SPTR]
Members
4,021 posts
1,021 battles
1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

or the CV I do get is basically next to useless (Hi Graf Zeppelin)

Rude... It just needs a little bit of smoke so it can be an invis-firing cruiser with lackluster planes.

• Haha 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles
2 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

Rude... It just needs a little bit of smoke so it can be an invis-firing cruiser with lackluster planes.

I’d love to give it some if I wasn’t trying to 2 v 1 enemy dds because our CAs are too busy farming BBs. Lol

[X-PN]
Members
1,776 posts
12,871 battles
6 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

As it stands, it is far too easy for a Massachusetts or a CV to save a star versus someone in a DD or a cruiser. The mechanic as a whole promotes bad practices, where running and hiding and doing very little to change the outcome of the game gets you to keep going forward, whereas taking caps and doing meaningful damage gets punished. 

Now I’m going to rant because the first four games in ranked have been awful. People are clueless and running ships that have no business being there. I saw an enemy Odin 1 v 3 an Abermarle, a Charles Martel, and an Alabama by himself whilst getting pelted by our Enterprise.

There will always be players who think ranked is a good place to grind a Monarch or CV drivers who have 200 games in the boat but still only average 30k damage.  You just can't fix stupid.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,428 posts
12,692 battles

10 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

s it stands, it is far too easy for a Massachusetts or a CV to save a star versus someone in a DD or a cruiser.

We are starting this already 4 games in looks like a long season . I feel you pain though nothing you can do but try your best 

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles

And another game where our full hp North Carolina loses to a 5 k hp NC. Incredible. You think you’re up and good 5-2 and then your team decides to throw.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,208 posts
12,845 battles

I disagree. I have saved many a star in my dd. I don’t play cv so I can’t compare how much more less difficult it is to do so. I don’t have any issue with the mechanic but I don’t personally play any differently in ranked vs randoms. I think if more people did that you would prolly find saving a star is easier, jmo

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles

Since there is no real ranking system, WG should change the name of the mode to LFS (Levels For Steel) mode. Level Up. Maybe it should be called SAS (Save A Star) mode. Save Up.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles
28 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Now I’m going to rant because the first four games in ranked have been awful. People are clueless and running ships that have no business being there. I saw an enemy Odin 1 v 3 an Abermarle, a Charles Martel, and an Alabama by himself whilst getting pelted by our Enterprise. Speaking of CVs, I keep getting the CVs that find ways to get themselves killed. Either that, or the CV I do get is basically next to useless (Hi Graf Zeppelin). I don’t know what else I could be doing to better my games in Akizuki, but I feel I’m busting my [edited]and my team is literally throwing the moment they spawn in.

I kind of agree, I always wanted more irrevocable ranks and take that dadgum star OUT. that said I usually see an Akizuki in the top spot so it should be fairly easy for you to save stars!

[BONKS]
Banned
957 posts
5,411 battles
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

CV to save a star versus someone in a DD or a cruiser

If your not saving a star against CV's even though they have had EXP nerfed. You don't deserve it in the 1st place. Frankly saving my star whist trying to carry 6 other potatoes in my CV is deserved. 

[WPE-2]
Members
155 posts
1,270 battles

this is the CV's ruin ranked , CV's ruin clan battles  first im hearing about this remove save a star but this also is a anti cv thread and i can get behind that. 

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

Another ranked season. Another what about me thread.
If it's so blamed easy to save a star, why aren't you doing it? I would.
Rank out in 1 day and get all those prizes just because I picked a certain ship? Heck yeah!

Pro Tip: Leave the big boys alone for a couple of days until they get into the Second League.
Then it becomes a lot easier to carry the scrubs, or save a star.

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
644 posts
20,676 battles

The save a star mechanic is sure better than the old days. I just wish something was done about AFK’s. Where as maybe the losing team has two people save a star if someone on their their team has less than 50 base XP. 

[HINON]
Members
9,003 posts
13,164 battles

or better yet, just remove the star system altogether and make it a points system, where if you lose you still gets points, just not as many as you would on a win, like how XP works, then more people might actually bother to play Ranked, hell, if WG did this with ALL competitive modes more people would play probably, because youre not losing any progress if you lose a match, youre just progressing slower, it lets the unicums and other good players still be able to blast through the ranks while giving everyone else a chance of getting to the top as well

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 2

[O7]
Supertester
425 posts
13,540 battles
10 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

or better yet, just remove the star system altogether and make it a points system, where if you lose you still gets points, just not as many as you would on a win, like how XP works, then more people might actually bother to play Ranked

A bot would be able to rank out in that system. 

People will always complain about the progression system. With save a star, we complain about the mechanics behind the star and how some players don’t play to win, but to save the star. If save a star was removed, then we go back to complaining about auto-loss matches. This exact same discussion pops up every ranked season with the same exact arguments.

Also, remember every ranked season is the worst ranked season ever.

Edited by Your_SAT_Score
  • Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
1,867 posts
2,439 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

A bot would be able to rank out in that system. 

Bots can theoretically (and probably have) rank out in the current system too, so what is your point?

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this