Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

More coal ships please! And coal + gold for premiums possible?

32 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
12,515 posts
34,740 battles

I have all the coal ships except Salem and Marceau and have zero interest in either. Can we get some more ships for coal?

Also, would WG consider making premium ships available for coal? Like 300,000 coal for one? Or even make them available for coal plus dubs -- say 250,000 for a premium plus 25% of the price in doubloons. For example, if you bought a ship for 12000 dubs using coal, you'd pay 250,000 coal and 3000 dubs. 

WG would still make money since a digital file of a ship has near-zero marginal cost. And many people would be able to own premiums at much lower prices. Win-win I'd say. 

You could even do this via coupons -- hand out 2-4 coupons per year for coal + gold for premiums.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts

I'd rather see this. If I can convert steel to coal at a rate of 1 to 10, why can't I convert coal to steel at a rate of 10 to 1?

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 1

[-V1-]
Members
113 posts
4,062 battles
56 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I have all the coal ships except Salem and Marceau and have zero interest in either. Can we get some more ships for coal?

Also, would WG consider making premium ships available for coal? Like 300,000 coal for one? Or even make them available for coal plus dubs -- say 250,000 for a premium plus 25% of the price in doubloons. For example, if you bought a ship for 12000 dubs using coal, you'd pay 250,000 coal and 3000 dubs. 

WG would still make money since a digital file of a ship has near-zero marginal cost. And many people would be able to own premiums at much lower prices. Win-win I'd say. 

You could even do this via coupons -- hand out 2-4 coupons per year for coal + gold for premiums.

I would agree with you but say that your situation is unique considering you've played nearly 35,000 battles. I would suggest that something like you suggest should be implemented down the line.

Banned
715 posts
953 battles

shikiyshima ,stalin and corb coal version pls asap

coal to steel conversion allowed pls

The longer you guys ignore NA the more the game will suffer

Edited by JaysUsedBoatParts
  • Cool 2

[SUCIT]
Members
1,106 posts
17,895 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

I'd rather see this. If I can convert steel to coal at a rate of 1 to 10, why can't I convert coal to steel at a rate of 10 to 1?

Probably not because someone can get a steel ship without playing ranked or clan battles every 6 months, and WG would like most steel income to come from playing competitive with some (2k or so) from Christmas snowflakes

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
1 hour ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

The longer you guys ignore NA the more the game will suffer

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "ignoring NA"?

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles

I can't imagine there are that many people in this same situation as @Taichunger, having most of the coal ships and nothing else to use coal on.

Could be wrong here, but I consider myself a pretty regular player and there are still plenty of coal ships that I could pick up if need be.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,502 posts
20,297 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I can't imagine there are that many people in this same situation as @Taichunger, having most of the coal ships and nothing else to use coal on.

Could be wrong here, but I consider myself a pretty regular player and there are still plenty of coal ships that I could pick up if need be.

I'm only lacking Georgia to have all the coal ships but I also have a ton of battles under my belt. I like @Taichunger's coal to steel swap but I doubt WG will do so for the reasons  @tfcas119 stated. I seldom play "competitive" as it takes away the fun, for me, but would like a shot at a steel ship. I've been able to get Black and Flint over the past couple of years (and thanks to snowflake events). It's a long way to Somers...

[PVE]
Members
11,510 posts
22,446 battles
13 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I actually have all the Coal ships and 700+K Coal sitting here waiting LOL.

I wish WG would allow Coal to Steel conversion as well like said ^^^. I would even be ok with a bigger rate than the other way. Say 100 Coal to 1 Steel.

42 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Probably not because someone can get a steel ship without playing ranked or clan battles every 6 months, and WG would like most steel income to come from playing competitive with some (2k or so) from Christmas snowflakes

I got Flint for Steel the 1st year they did the snowflakes and have been grabbing it every chance I can since and am now just 600 from Bourgogne without ever touching Ranked or CB.

I will gladly go 2-3 years to get enough without touching those modes.

I think WG has finally realized that not everyone wants to do those modes, and even if they do they can't (no clan or can't during the hours) or they aren't good enough to earn a lot of or any Steel that way. Good for them for offering it via alternate means so ALL players have a chance to gather it (at different rates).

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[Y0L0]
Members
594 posts
10,362 battles
2 hours ago, z9_ said:

Well yes but the rate would have to be MUCH LOWER

Personally I have almost 600.000 coal and only missing the Marceau for coal so if it was a 1 to 10 I would get almost 60k steel and that's just not fair to the people who grind this lifes off in the hell that are Ranked and Clan Battles.

That said, with a 50 coal = 1 steel then there is a chance that WG will do that

Also let's remember that Black, Neutrashimi, Flint and Pommern are going to come for coal relatively soon so that's probably almost 700k coal if you buy them all. Also with Shikishima just being released and FRD probably coming soon, it's going to be either coal or more unlikely RB. Also Kitakami probably will come in roughly 4 months and it would be almost criminal if a ship so wanted for everyone and their mother was not released for coal so everyone can get it.

TLDR: Just save your coal right now, TONS of ships with potential to be coal are coming relatively soon

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,710 posts
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Shhh... you'll break my Salem's heart. You don't like Salem? Wow... admittedly, she could use a speed booster... but otherwise, she's adorable. Of course, I call mine Samantha, you know? 

0a7fbf3c45d1877e571302616ef88b3b.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts
16 minutes ago, XurMP said:

TLDR: Just save your coal right now, TONS of ships with potential to be coal are coming relatively soon

I agree.
I bought the Flint for steel when they shorted us at the last xmas event and realized I'd never get a Stalingrad.
Of course, they purposely waited for me to buy it before they announced it for coal.

Georgia is the only thing left I have an interest in.
Got 200k coal + the coupon + 1.2M FXP & lots of special flags. I'm waiting.
FDR would give me a premium for every class on tier 10.
Kitakami looks like it would be so much fun!

24 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I've been in love with her ever since I can remember.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
459 posts
11,227 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Marceau

Marceau is actually quite fun. I'm not the best DD player by far, but it's fun zipping around at 55 knots. Guns are pretty good on it, wreck other DDs easily.

Edit: I got the Marceau because I was down to the Salem or Marceau myself, so picked up the Marceau since I have the Des Moines. And I don't really wanna spend my coal on stuff like captains and so on, so I got the Marceau.  Anyway, they will be adding the Neustrashimy, Black and Flint for coal eventually, so there are those to look forward to if you don't have them.

Finally, I also think it'd be great if we could convert coal to steel, even if it's like a 5 to 1 instead of a 10 to 1 like it is from steel to coal.

Edited by Colonel_Potter

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
39 minutes ago, XurMP said:

Also let's remember that Black, Neutrashimi, Flint and Pommern are going to come for coal relatively soon so that's probably almost 700k coal if you buy them all.

I got Black for Steel just before she was removed. Although I rolled my eyes at that a little, I realised that in fact I was a winner; I was never going to make it even to Neustrashimy at then-current rates of acquisition, and Black seemed a good enough ship to use my entire stock on. I'm glad I got her for steel when I did, because it's one T9 ship I won't have to find the coal for when she comes back. I can pour it all into Neustrashimy and Flint. What the prices will be I don't know, but I'm anticipating both of them to go for ten times their steel price. Black will probably have her coal price elevated to match Neustrashimy's.

Of course that depends on what comes out for coal in the meantime, and how much it will cost. I'm anticipating FDR to be for coal, for the following reasons:

Most people's FXP stocks will have been depleted by the purchase of one or more of Smaland (2 million), Hayate (2 million) or Agir (1 million), which were all released for sale in the last few months.

Recent steel offerings include Shikishima for 32,000 and three permacamos for 10,000 each.

Siegfried represents a recently-released drain on Research Bureau points.

On the contrary, recent coal offerings were two older mid-tier premiums (Anshan, Marblehead) which were relatively inexpensive, and the Tier 10 Marceau, the latter of which is only likely to be favoured by Francophile destroyer mains. Therefore, it is my contention that far more coal than steel, FXP or RB points exists in the economy ATM, and FDR and Pommern will represent competing options for this resource.

Note that the Paolo Emilio's shift from Tier 10 to Tier 9 MIGHT indicate that she was meant to be an FXP destroyer, but that the concept as it currently exists was not viable for a sale price of 2 million. (It also means that she will be a full T9 premium rather than a T10 special, and thus more of a credit maker.)

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles
2 hours ago, SwagOver9000Boi said:

I would agree with you but say that your situation is unique considering you've played nearly 35,000 battles. I would suggest that something like you suggest should be implemented down the line.

Not a unique situation for Free to Play players. Majority of my premium ships were either gifted to me by kind / generous players or doubloons either gifted, earned in events, or super containers. Some ships earned in events like DOY and PE Friedrich were. And ships that were Free XP, steel, or coal. And my first Free XP ship the Missouri I had been gifted 30 days premium time and some doubloons to help ensure I was able to beat the removal deadline for the ship. Missouri in turn helped me afford many tech tree ships and kept me afloat on create and later FXP and ECXP until more premiums arrived in my port to help it out. And having a wider array of premium is vital as it can allow credit grinding even during Ranked seasons and other battle modes.

So really even with players with many many battles logged it can be some what difficult to aquire premium ships on our own.

[INTEL]
Members
12,515 posts
34,740 battles
28 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Marceau is actually quite fun. I'm not the best DD player by far, but it's fun zipping around at 55 knots. Guns are pretty good on it, wreck other DDs easily.

Edit: I got the Marceau because I was down to the Salem or Marceau myself, so picked up the Marceau since I have the Des Moines. And I don't really wanna spend my coal on stuff like captains and so on, so I got the Marceau.  Anyway, they will be adding the Neustrashimy, Black and Flint for coal eventually, so there are those to look forward to if you don't have them.

Finally, I also think it'd be great if we could convert coal to steel, even if it's like a 5 to 1 instead of a 10 to 1 like it is from steel to coal.

I already have the Nuestra and Flint, dont want Black.

No good in Fr DDs, so dont want Marceau

Coal to steel was not my idea. Another posters...

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles
18 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

At those speeds you can wreck CVs too if you manage to get close enough undetected.

Also just because you have Des Moines don't consider not getting Salem at some point because in 1 on 1 bow tanking contest between Des Moines and Salem, the Salem wins easily thanks to its super heals. Even bed able to out bow tank ships like Alaska by good management of my heals, plus being properly skilled and flagged.

Although if Marceau is your only coal ship, I would then say wait on Salem and get Yoshino if you have any interest in the IJN as well as Super Cruisers / Battlecruisers. Yoshino at first was dismissed as just a slightly different Azuma and “worthless”. Until last November and December where I kept seeing Yoshino players doing some amazing things in battles, so since I had the coal and coupon that arrived on Dec 26th, 2019 I went ahead and got the ship as I already had many of the other coal ships. And I have never regretted getting the Yoshino as while it’s armor looks weak, it’s actually cleverly laid out to safely absorb/ dampen the damage or even deflect heavy hits. Now can it sustain heavy full on side hits, no unless you get luck but no super cruise can do that. And it’s not quite as strong in the bow as Stalingrad, but has still bounced even Yamato AP shells I angled against. The secret is to fight at mid to long range against most targets which is how Battlecruiser armor is designed to be strong.

As far as offensive abilities the Yoshino has hard hitting HE and AP shells, have been able to citadel even BBs like a Montana with Yoshino AP shells, scored 4 citadel hits in 1 salvo before. Good AA that has dissuaded my CVs from bothering me thanks to also having BFT for the +10% to AA output, and the 20km torpedoes have sunk many enemy ships even couple minutes after my Yoshino has been sunk as enemy ships will often assume they are safe from torpedoes just because a ship far away was sunk.

Also Admiral Yamamoto is excellent on Yoshino as not only can he serve well on a tech tree IJN CA like Zao for me, but then serves on any of the premium IJN CAs as well. Plus his skills are more likely to get activated on a CA thanks to CAs often being able to score First Blood Achievements. So he is my recommendation for making IJN CAs even more effective. 

[WOLFG]
Members
459 posts
11,227 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Although if Marceau is your only coal ship, I would then say wait on Salem and get Yoshino

I meant I only had the Marceau or Salem left to choose from, and since I have the DM already, will wait on the Salem. Have all the other coal ships including the ones that were removed recently, (well, except the tier 3 & 4 ones, which I will eventually get too), lol.

And yeah, I do use Yamamoto in my Yoshino. I don't think I have ever actually used the AP on my Yoshino since the HE performs so well.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,710 posts
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I've been in love with her ever since I can remember.

Yea me too... her expressive nature, those eyes... she had a hard time of things in Hollywood, mistreated on nearly every turn... when she passed I adopted her as my guardian "angel". 

She was a twinkling star to be sure. 

But seriously - the Salem is a fun, solid ship! 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,710 posts

By the way... stick around long enough and they will eventually do the conversion you want... but I suspect it's gonna cost a pretty number of doubloons as well... you know...

... reasons. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles
5 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I meant I only had the Marceau or Salem left to choose from, and since I have the DM already, will wait on the Salem. Have all the other coal ships including the ones that were removed recently, (well, except the tier 3 & 4 ones, which I will eventually get too), lol.

And yeah, I do use Yamamoto in my Yoshino. I don't think I have ever actually used the AP on my Yoshino since the HE performs so well.

Oh sorry my mistake, lol just wanted to ensure you did not miss out on anything. :Smile_smile:

And you have got to try the AP shells on the Yoshino. I often have had a difficult time deciding between the 2 ammo types as both work so well. And the reload is fast enough that it’s easy to switch quickly. So mainly my rule of thumb is bow on heavy target or DDs I use HE, but if there are side on targets I use AP shells. I experimented with shell types early on since the guns are slightly over 12” BB caliber and as such their AP shells can be very capable. Kind of like how Graf Spee can slaughter other cruisers with its BB Caliber AP shells as well as be a threat to at least some BBs.

[NKOTD]
Members
927 posts
8,487 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Less battles than you but in the same situation.  Recently had to pick either Yoshino or Lutjens because have everything else.  I picked Lutjens and he has been very helpful in ranked so happy there.  Next time, Yoshino is so similar to Zao....don't think I'll buy it... I'll just sit on the coal until they add something.  Unfortunately, it will probably be Flint, Black, Neustrashimy...to which Flint is a slap in the face since I paid steel... Shimy is pretty meh, maybe Black but it's been seriously powercrept.

[OIL-1]
Members
978 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Of course that depends on what comes out for coal in the meantime, and how much it will cost. I'm anticipating FDR to be for coal, for the following reasons:

Most people's FXP stocks will have been depleted by the purchase of one or more of Smaland (2 million), Hayate (2 million) or Agir (1 million), which were all released for sale in the last few months.

Recent steel offerings include Shikishima for 32,000 and three permacamos for 10,000 each.

Siegfried represents a recently-released drain on Research Bureau points.

All excellent points. And I have another reason.
If they make the FDR accessible to normal players, a lot of people will get it and use it,
and it could help to smooth over the bad press they got for the CV rework.
(Which seems to be still on-going.)
While I'm not thrilled with CV play, I use them for missions, and if I had a decent one
that was affordable to play, I would probably try to get good enough to make a run at an emblem.
There are probably a lot of other players that would do the same thing.

3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Francophile destroyer mains.

Special nod for that one.

[SBS]
Members
5,436 posts
5 hours ago, XurMP said:

Also let's remember that Black, Neutrashimi, Flint and Pommern are going to come for coal relatively soon so that's probably almost 700k coal if you buy them all.

Didn't WG say those ships would be released for coal relatively soon, wasn't fairly long time ago?  Maybe I'm not remembering it right, but it might have been late last year that was mentioned?  I'm waiting for the Flint, just for the Atlanta with smoke lols.

[PHU]
Members
157 posts
4,501 battles
9 hours ago, z9_ said:

I believe the reason is because they said they wanted people who play clan & ranked to receive exclusive rewards you couldn't get anywhere else. I would personally save up whatever coal price for Bourgogne if they allowed it.

Sign in to follow this