You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
osmileyaj

Anyone else just starting to get depressed by this? (CVs)

264 comments in this topic

Members
1,458 posts
23,576 battles

I dislike CV's in this game; absolutely dislike them. Any CV sunk (red or green) is appreciated. I don't hate the CV player, I simply dislike the non-countered entry in this surface ship game.

Calling all dislikes "hate" is a sign of an adolescent mind. Yes, it seems to be an almost global practice - but that only indicates societal breakdown of a basic skill of understanding the difference and just jumping to extremes, as adolescents are renown for.

• Cool 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 15

[GT99]
Members
723 posts
11,126 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

I dislike CV's in this game; absolutely dislike them. Any CV sunk (red or green) is appreciated. I don't hate the CV player, I simply dislike the non-countered entry in this surface ship game.

Calling all dislikes "hate" is a sign of an adolescent mind. Yes, it seems to be an almost global practice - but that only indicates societal breakdown of a basic skill of understanding the difference and just jumping to extremes, as adolescents are renown for.

Oh, the talk we could have, wrong time wrong place.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,686 posts
5,943 battles

WG titles are designed to provide a "how you say?"...unique...experience.

It really helps if you either are a troll or are somewhat troll proof or both.  If you are an earnest player wanting to sacrifice it all and win one for the team?

Better stick to coop.... 

:P

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,458 posts
23,576 battles
3 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Oh, the talk we could have, wrong time wrong place.

:)

I'm an old man with staid beliefs and with no need of others' approval. It's very liberating, and comforting.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[GT99]
Members
723 posts
11,126 battles
Just now, theLaalaa said:

:)

I'm an old man with staid beliefs and with no need of others' approval. It's very liberating, and comforting.

Maybe I misrepresented what I was trying to convey. Have a good day.

• Boring 1

[TXGUN]
Members
222 posts
15,216 battles

I posted something this morning similar to yours but on a little different tack.  I received the same poo poo comments you have.  CV's are divisive.  They have all but eliminated anyone from playing DD's at some Tiers.  They are a lose lose situation for the person playing them unless he has awfully thick skin and cares little about what is said about him.   I began and continue because it was a ship game.  WG is determined to turn it into an airplane game for some unaccountable reason known only to them.  Their previous foray into an airplane game has not done well and you have to wonder if they learn from their mistakes.

• Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
2,013 posts
6,668 battles

to answer the thread's title directly, yes.

[WOLF4]
Members
344 posts
16,455 battles
41 minutes ago, osmileyaj said:

Hi everyone, let me start by saying I am a CV main, not a good player by any means, but I had been really enjoying this game. I started off in the closed beta, I loved the RTS system, and once the rework hit I kinda gave up on the game for a while. At the start of Covid lock down my GF convinced me to play the game again, and since I already had a bunch of XP on Japanese carriers, I decided to play them. I managed to learn from my mistakes, learn flack dodging, learn how to pre drop my planes in the new system to send them back to the carrier. I was having a lot of fun with it as I got my Harkuyu, my Indomitable, my Ranger, and even buying myself a Graf Zep because I love the idea of front line carriers.

That said, I noticed something this last week, I have almost not at all played my favorite class. A class I love not because I can attack people without repercussions, but because I can help my team at every turn, I can help spot that DD, I can make that BB turn into your fire, I can force the island campers out into the open, even if I wasn't getting the damage numbers of other classes I got to help my team and I loved it. Of late though I have been playing DDs, simply because I can't stand the hatred spewed at me in what feels like a vast majority of games. I get reported even as I do everything I can to support the team. I get reported when I saved our last cruisers life by ramming my Shokaku into an enemy ship and eating Destroyer torps as I had been deplaned.

What struck me today is not being reported though, it was the fact I was complimented while I was playing my DD. I was complimented by enemy teammates for killing their CV. It wasn't well played, they had left a flank totally open for me to sneak around them, but their hatred went to their own CV for failing to stop me.

I am sure I am not the only CV player who has come to dread playing their favorite ships because of chat. I just hate the insults constantly spewed at me, and if anything I said has made you relate, especially if you are a CV hater, just consider what the other player might be thinking before you type that message.

It is usually the dd and cvs fault just the way randoms work.

I do not like cvs and it is the way WG implements them. I do not condone a player for playing them and at times have given the cv player a compliment. I wish somehow the cvs had more of way to attack each other.As RTS days cvs could strafe each others planes.

As of now a cv to me is a coddled ship which just spots and deals damage.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
6,268 posts
14,593 battles

I don't play CV's.

But, even I am getting sick of all the anti-CV hate here on this forum.  The blame game is rampant everywhere (borderline political, let's not go there!).  I have been targeted and sunk by CV's for which I had no counter.

But, I just do not see that CV's are that influential in wins.  So, I am tired of all of the CV moaners here who can't make a post without raging on carriers.  News flash...if you suck at the game with CV's, you will still suck at the game without CV's.  I'm not sorry if this truth hurts your feels.  :cap_old:

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

Members
17 posts
208 battles

Simply put people will report you for playing CV.  It's not you.  It's their frustration at WG for the terrible balance CV provides and how it sucks the fun out of the game for other classes.  Don't take it personally.  Go play another class of ship a bit more often and leave those CV's at home more.

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 4

[TIMT]
Members
202 posts
2,610 battles

As many others here, I dislike CVs as a class in their current state. Having tried CVs a few times, I am also not a fan of the gameplay. To me the fundamental flaw is that most of the interactions you have with CVs are that of a PvE game. As a surface ship, you can simply press a button and hope for the best. Being targeted by the CV because you are a high value target or because you are alone somewhere without any active means of defending yourself (if you discount 'just dodge') feels highly frustrating to me. Even to the point that I feel personally attacked by the CV player for having fun. I know, this is not how it works but to me the CV surface interactions is just doing this.

This is why I don't understand why CVs or at least AA is not looked at by the devs (at least as far as we know). However, to come back to your question: CVs can make players highly emotional and irrational (myself included) which leads to bad behaviour. I do try to complement good CVs who do a lot, but it is hard to not equate the CV mechanic with the CV player sometimes. This is a sad reality, and it might not be the answer you have been looking for but it is all I can say to explain what happened to you. Does that make it right in any way? No, of course it doesn't. But I hope you might understand a bit better now.

• Cool 5

[LUCK]
Members
1,829 posts
28,971 battles
11 hours ago, osmileyaj said:

Hi everyone, let me start by saying I am a CV main, not a good player by any means, but I had been really enjoying this game. I started off in the closed beta, I loved the RTS system, and once the rework hit I kinda gave up on the game for a while. At the start of Covid lock down my GF convinced me to play the game again, and since I already had a bunch of XP on Japanese carriers, I decided to play them. I managed to learn from my mistakes, learn flack dodging, learn how to pre drop my planes in the new system to send them back to the carrier. I was having a lot of fun with it as I got my Harkuyu, my Indomitable, my Ranger, and even buying myself a Graf Zep because I love the idea of front line carriers.

That said, I noticed something this last week, I have almost not at all played my favorite class. A class I love not because I can attack people without repercussions, but because I can help my team at every turn, I can help spot that DD, I can make that BB turn into your fire, I can force the island campers out into the open, even if I wasn't getting the damage numbers of other classes I got to help my team and I loved it. Of late though I have been playing DDs, simply because I can't stand the hatred spewed at me in what feels like a vast majority of games. I get reported even as I do everything I can to support the team. I get reported when I saved our last cruisers life by ramming my Shokaku into an enemy ship and eating Destroyer torps as I had been deplaned.

What struck me today is not being reported though, it was the fact I was complimented while I was playing my DD. I was complimented by enemy teammates for killing their CV. It wasn't well played, they had left a flank totally open for me to sneak around them, but their hatred went to their own CV for failing to stop me.

I am sure I am not the only CV player who has come to dread playing their favorite ships because of chat. I just hate the insults constantly spewed at me, and if anything I said has made you relate, especially if you are a CV hater, just consider what the other player might be thinking before you type that message.

Unapologetic CV Hater here. The re-work has been an unmitigated disaster for the game. The first month after the re-work was as bad as bad gets and many good, long time players left- and stayed away. RTS was not perfect by any means and needed work.

Essentially, CVs cannot be countered, hence the hate. They are virtually immune to opposing CV attacks. They flood very little and burn less when you can find them. Meanwhile, these "players" have their way with almost every ship because they eviscerated AA. All of that so CVs were "more interactive" and "engaging". And you can save the "group up for AA" [edited] as that make gameplay worse. That isn't teamwork. Teamwork is strategy and positioning not huddling up, waiting for the next squadron to attack.

No sympathy for any negative chat comments, etc. CV players are contributing to the degradation of the game every time they choose a ship and click battle. 

• Cool 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 5

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,220 posts
4,790 battles

The only depressing thing is trying to find something other than CV whining on the forums lately.

In game its actually not as bad as the forum makes it out to be. The forum just has a bunch of vocal whiners. 

In game i get compliments for CV play. Specially during sprint ranked play. 

The forums make the game seem worse than it actually is. Which is why the forums are some what of a detriment to the game. 

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 6

[PVE]
Members
3,943 posts
16,795 battles
31 minutes ago, osmileyaj said:

I read this and thought about what you said.  And, I think about all of my friends that have left this game.  I am the last.  WHY?  Carriers and Radar.  An entire clan and two more that were small.  Over 30 people whom enjoyed this game and we played most every night.......  And, you feel some angst and complain???  What in the world do you expect???????

I feel for you but, I made a decision to only play COOP.....  Scenarios are dead to force us back into Randoms....  Here's where I am and I need you to think about this and tell me what you think:  you did everything you could, did your best and survived: and, at the end of that match and you are the last ship as a DD, running out the clock...........and, a carrier, with endless planes spors you once again and destroys you with rockets and there is nothing you can do.............you can't fight back.   All that effort, game after game after game wasted.   Can you see where that just might make a few people a bit frustrated?

There is no way to survive that.  What say you?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[JMMAF]
Members
2,013 posts
6,668 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I read this and thought about what you said.  And, I think about all of my friends that have left this game.  I am the last.  WHY?  Carriers and Radar.  An entire clan and two more that were small.  Over 30 people whom enjoyed this game and we played most every night.......  And, you feel some angst and complain???  What in the world do you expect???????

I feel for you but, I made a decision to only play COOP.....  Scenarios are dead to force us back into Randoms....  Here's where I am and I need you to think about this and tell me what you think:  you did everything you could, did your best and survived: and, at the end of that match and you are the last ship as a DD, running out the clock...........and, a carrier, with endless planes spors you once again and destroys you with rockets and there is nothing you can do.............you can't fight back.   All that effort, game after game after game wasted.   Can you see where that just might make a few people a bit frustrated?

There is no way to survive that.  What say you?

you forgot one part... the only reason you are still afloat at the end of the match is the CV decided you were not worth the 1 minute 38 sec it will take him to delete you earlier.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,686 posts
5,943 battles

One of the aspects that I kind of sometimes feel bad about my distaste for the CV mode is the fact that it is really a great entry point into the game.

One of the real problems with a game like this is how difficult it is for a newbie to start feeling like they are contributing to the game...particularly, when they are playing against a select group of sharks just sitting there waiting for them to make the mistakes we all made as we were learning.

So, I should make more of a point of separating that aspect of the carrier thing away from my "critique".   I'm glad there's a way for newbies to jump in and have fun.  And I know they aren't necessarily aware of all the negative ramifications that having a CV in game may present.  So I don't begrudge them their good time.

Just would hope that at some point they realize how their fun impacts their team mate's fun and keep that in mind.

The game really needs some kind of rookie league but that would work against seal clubbing and all those other sorts of fun and engagement that come with WG titles.  And to be fair, that'd be hard to police to prevent said seal clubbing etc.  But anywho....

Members
32 posts
2,655 battles

I have played both CVs and DDs. I usually ignore or laugh at hate comments when playing CV unless it's actually constructive criticism. Honestly playing CVs has made me a better DD player and playing DDs has made me a better CV player. I agree that rocket planes are not balanced right now which has influenced my DD choices (RN and EU), but ultimately killing DDs quick helps your team significantly and as a CV is so effective at it, I can understand why so many CV players (including myself) will target DDs.

[SPTR]
Members
3,765 posts
764 battles
23 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Teamwork is strategy and positioning not huddling up

Sticking together IS a strategy... Oh wait, I forgot that all the ships IRL were always huge distances away from their allied ships. Bismarck vs. Hood was a 1v1 IRL. Enterprise sailed on it's own and fought off all the air attacks itself instead of going dark while allied ships shot enemy aircraft at night...

• Meh 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,765 posts
764 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

Dude, look at your stats. Odds are you are not helping your team by playing CV, especially in that Graf and Implacable. What you are actually doing is calling down a better CV player on them, and ruining their experience, and more often than not, ensuring they lose. Of course they despise you. 

Stat shaming? For shame...

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[INTEL]
Members
12,478 posts
34,645 battles
5 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

Stat shaming? For shame...

Dude claims he is doing X. 

He actually isnt.

Sometimes people simply aren't aware of how they're actually doing in the game.

There's no other way to make them aware. Believe me. I've been there.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,861 posts
8,820 battles
1 hour ago, osmileyaj said:

That said, I noticed something this last week, I have almost not at all played my favorite class.

Oh, kind of like many players have been steadily losing interest in the game because of carriers?

Though there is a major difference: you can easily disable chat with a mod and still enjoy the gameplay, but unfortunately there is no mod to disable CVs.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,861 posts
8,820 battles
34 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

One of the aspects that I kind of sometimes feel bad about my distaste for the CV mode is the fact that it is really a great entry point into the game.

Yes, getting dunked on by two carriers every single game in low tiers is a great entry point into the game. So great, in fact, that WG is now forced to match the few remaining newbies with bots. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,686 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, vak_ said:

Yes, getting dunked on by two carriers every single game in low tiers is a great entry point into the game. So great, in fact, that WG is now forced to match the few remaining newbies with bots. 

Preaching to the choir on that.  That's where the part about the newbie realizing the negative impact of CVs zooming around everywhere lighting up the entire map and completely disrupting the game comes in. 

I think there are newbies who are playing those CVs that aren't aware of how demoralizing it is to get dunked on by two carriers.  And I wanted to separate that group from the group who is aware and the seal clubbing CVs down there dunking on the newbs. 

And to be fully inclusive, all the other surface ship seal clubbers down there dunking on the newbs but also teaching them how to dunk on newbs in surface ships and in doing so teaching them how to play the game.  In the most painful and difficult way possible.