Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
American_Ace_96

Secondary guns exist too

9 comments in this topic

Members
106 posts

As the title suggests, secondary guns exist too. So why would the secondary guns on a tier 8 battleship have just one kilometer of range from a tier 5 battle ship. (Using the USN as a reference). In certain cases a ships main battery shouldn't even be able to shoot a such a short range. In real life HMS Nelson couldn't use her main battery against the Bismarck at one point because she was too close. As a commander who prefers knife fights in destroyers and brawls in battleships, I have two suggestions:

1. Rework the secondary range. I have an idea called 1+1. That is the base secondary range of a ship is equal to their tier plus one kilometer. In the Germans case, since they are known for their range, it would tier plus two or three kilometers. So a tier 8 non-German ship would have 9 kilometers of secondary gun range while a German tier 8 would have 10km. This might make them overpowered so in the case of modules and skills, rework them into durability, rate of fire, and accuracy buffs. 

OR

2. Give power to the player and let them have control of the secondary guns. This idea would be similar to those who have either seen or played the mobile version of this game. Players would be given the option to switch between main battery and secondary similar to switching between guns and torpedoes on a destroyer or cruiser (or to the gifted battleships). The range however, would remain as it is in the game currently. (Could make this an option AFTER they take the manual secondary skill.)

OR

3. A hybrid of options 1 and 2. Take everything you've read in the first two options and put them down here. However, for the range buff do Tier plus HALF of a kilometer for non German ships and 1 kilometer for German ships, while still giving the player the option to switch between the two. 

As compensation to the overworked destroyer captains, you could bring back an ancient mechanic and make it exclusive to them: stealth firing. For the new players, there was a time when you could fire your guns beyond your detectability range and said range wouldn't change. Then they could contribute with only Hydro, Radar, and CVs to worry about. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
3,693 posts
3,916 battles

Laughs in secondary spec Georgia and Massachusetts:cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,217 posts
15,346 battles

Gameplay.

• Confused 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,400 posts
7,390 battles
46 minutes ago, paradat said:

Gameplay.

Yes and some of these improvements would make it better.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
59 minutes ago, American_Ace_96 said:

As the title suggests, secondary guns exist too. So why would the secondary guns on a tier 8 battleship have just one kilometer of range from a tier 5 battle ship. (Using the USN as a reference). In certain cases a ships main battery shouldn't even be able to shoot a such a short range. In real life HMS Nelson couldn't use her main battery against the Bismarck at one point because she was too close. As a commander who prefers knife fights in destroyers and brawls in battleships, I have two suggestions:

1. Rework the secondary range. I have an idea called 1+1. That is the base secondary range of a ship is equal to their tier plus one kilometer. In the Germans case, since they are known for their range, it would tier plus two or three kilometers. So a tier 8 non-German ship would have 9 kilometers of secondary gun range while a German tier 8 would have 10km. This might make them overpowered so in the case of modules and skills, rework them into durability, rate of fire, and accuracy buffs. 

OR

2. Give power to the player and let them have control of the secondary guns. This idea would be similar to those who have either seen or played the mobile version of this game. Players would be given the option to switch between main battery and secondary similar to switching between guns and torpedoes on a destroyer or cruiser (or to the gifted battleships). The range however, would remain as it is in the game currently. (Could make this an option AFTER they take the manual secondary skill.)

OR

3. A hybrid of options 1 and 2. Take everything you've read in the first two options and put them down here. However, for the range buff do Tier plus HALF of a kilometer for non German ships and 1 kilometer for German ships, while still giving the player the option to switch between the two. 

As compensation to the overworked destroyer captains, you could bring back an ancient mechanic and make it exclusive to them: stealth firing. For the new players, there was a time when you could fire your guns beyond your detectability range and said range wouldn't change. Then they could contribute with only Hydro, Radar, and CVs to worry about. 

The mobile version’s player controlled secondary guns are far less effective than our automated secondary guns innOC version. Plus the mobile version secondary guns are far more taxing on players to try and use as you have to switch to main guns fire, switch to secondary guns fire, then maybe have to switch to secondary guns in there some time too.

Oh and did I mention you also have to be operating consumables watching the map, keeping eye on mini map, and be steering the ship while all of this is happening... 

Yeah it gets to be far too much to manage if you are having to operate secondary guns yourself as well as everything else at the same time. In WOWs PC I can lock secondary guns of saw Bismarck onto a DD while my main guns work on another target and still leaves me free to manage any maneuvering ect. I need to do.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,217 posts
15,346 battles
3 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Yes and some of these improvements would make it better.

Not sure if WG want all BB in the game to have improved secondary guns. I think they like using if for gameplay flavor and keep the population of them somewhat limited.

As far as manual control of them...hmm I do not think I am apposed to that but would need to test them first. Might be a bit more than I want to manage, but willing to try it.

• Cool 1

Members
106 posts
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The mobile version’s player controlled secondary guns are far less effective than our automated secondary guns innOC version. Plus the mobile version secondary guns are far more taxing on players to try and use as you have to switch to main guns fire, switch to secondary guns fire, then maybe have to switch to secondary guns in there some time too.

Oh and did I mention you also have to be operating consumables watching the map, keeping eye on mini map, and be steering the ship while all of this is happening... 

Yeah it gets to be far too much to manage if you are having to operate secondary guns yourself as well as everything else at the same time. In WOWs PC I can lock secondary guns of saw Bismarck onto a DD while my main guns work on another target and still leaves me free to manage any maneuvering ect. I need to do.

I don't have the mobile version so I can't say how effective they are, but taxing? I would think it would taxing on a small screen but on an actually PC (or Mac for the confused gamer out there) I would think it would be more manageable. 

The map, is something of a hit or miss on player attention anyway, the secondary guns would be limited in range, and if a DD can do all that you mentioned while dodging radar, hydro, and CVs, I don't see why a BB captain can't handle an extra option to fight back against the HE spammers (or give CV captains an ability to fight back directly)

As for the last sentence, that option would still be there. Especially if option 1 was selected by WG. 

This is just an idea, and seeing the blogs WG has put out, this isn't the worst by far.  

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
Just now, American_Ace_96 said:

I don't have the mobile version so I can't say how effective they are, but taxing? I would think it would taxing on a small screen but on an actually PC (or Mac for the confused gamer out there) I would think it would be more manageable. 

The map, is something of a hit or miss on player attention anyway, the secondary guns would be limited in range, and if a DD can do all that you mentioned while dodging radar, hydro, and CVs, I don't see why a BB captain can't handle an extra option to fight back against the HE spammers (or give CV captains an ability to fight back directly)

As for the last sentence, that option would still be there. Especially if option 1 was selected by WG. 

This is just an idea, and seeing the blogs WG has put out, this isn't the worst by far.  

I used a larger screen and figured at first they would be more effective but after a few battles I realized I had been very wrong about them. There is just too much going on in a Warships battle to have to do anything else completely manual controlled for the player.

Imagine as I said for example you have 2 targets a the same time you are dealing with, do you really want to have to be operating all the weapons yourself?

And I have had to deal with 4 enemy ships at the same time before when I was a Corgi Fleet Captain, sank all 4 of them thanks to secondary guns being automated which sank 1 of them, my torpedoes and guns sank the other 3 ships, but if I had had to use manually controlled secondary guns I would have been sunk. So there are many situations that happen in the game where you do need a little computer assisted operations of your warship.

[5D7]
Members
122 posts
6,913 battles

I would definitely like for a way to handle secondaries in the same way the mains are handled. Needs more attention and brain power devoted to the game but allows you to do a lot more since there are plenty of ships that have competent secondary batteries. Should be in the capt skill, you pick MANUAL and that is what you actually get real manual control of the SB. On the range dept(which should see an  increase given you will be handling them manually), there are some ships that have a ridiculous short range given the size they are(battlecruisers mostly). 
I personally like the idea, if you are not up to undertake both tasks of mains and seconds you can always not pick manual fire as a skill.

Sign in to follow this