You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Bots now have the Martyrdom skill

27 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles

I had thought I had seen this happen before, but was finally able to sort of capture it in a replay.  I torped the Zao for the kill, and a second later, after the death message had come up, he launched every torp he had at me.  Not a huge, game breaking problem but thought it was nice to verify that this happens and it isn't just in my head.

Zao dies:

image.png.e2ce1e29b86504d11597738ab87a495b.png

Zao then torps (you can see the torps coming out from the stern - I had hydro up):

image.png.3482828e986c96e8b57ee5e30e9dd111.png

Video form:  

(Yes, I use a lot of mods).

20200721_125926_PGSC110-Hindenburg_23_Shards.wowsreplay

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
1,662 posts
5,897 battles

The Zao isn't dead yet in your picture . It shows you did 31k damage out of his 40k HP he launched his torps before your second set of torpedoes kills him. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
8,869 posts
7,337 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

The Zao isn't dead yet in your picture . It shows you did 31k damage out of his 40k HP he launched his torps before your second set hit. 

I think the graphics for what you are describing have always been messed up (what we see isn't the order things actually happen), which is why the zombie torp experience exists.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
5,875 posts
13,296 battles

Hard enough to see anything in these tiny, blurry shots, but the Zao is clearly still alive in the second pic.

[HAVC5]
Members
72 posts
10,702 battles

thats funny cause i had  musashi other day I swear got destroyed by my div mate, then just about what seemed like after the explosion,  it fired off a salvo at me and killed me.

who knows

Edited by Severed42
spelling

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles
30 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Hard enough to see anything in these tiny, blurry shots, but the Zao is clearly still alive in the second pic.

If you have 0/whatever HP, you are dead.  That is the status of the Zao in both screenshots.

Here is a video that might make things more clear (I could possibly buy that the first set got off, but no way was he alive when the second was sent):

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[UNNAT]
Members
1,116 posts
5,878 battles

If I had to guess, on the server the Zao was still alive when it launched it's torps and them showing up after it died was it catching up on your end. It's sort of similar to how sometimes ships can appear jump forward after dying as the server updates it's position on your screen.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,043 posts
8,851 battles
17 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

If you have 0/whatever HP, you are dead.  That is the status of the Zao in both screenshots.

Here is a video that might make things more clear (I could possibly buy that the first set got off, but no way was he alive when the second was sent):

Bots may be able to drop both sets simultaneously 

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,865 posts
13,302 battles
46 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I had thought I had seen this happen before, but was finally able to sort of capture it in a replay.  I torped the Zao for the kill, and a second later, after the death message had come up, he launched every torp he had at me.  Not a huge, game breaking problem but thought it was nice to verify that this happens and it isn't just in my head.

Zao dies:

Zao then torps (you can see the torps coming out from the stern - I had hydro up):

Video form:  

if you look where Zao's torps are coming, he launched them almost at the same time you sunk him, so it was luck, or unlucky depending on how you look at it lol.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles
2 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

if you look where Zao's torps are coming, he launched them almost at the same time you sunk him, so it was luck, or unlucky depending on how you look at it lol.

I knew they were coming, was just a bit surprised how late they came out. :)

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,865 posts
13,302 battles
3 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I knew they were coming, was just a bit surprised how late they came out. :)

it's a surprise mechanic? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,043 posts
8,851 battles
10 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

it's a surprise mechanic? :Smile_trollface:

Bots surely have a lot of that when they can shoot hyper sonic shells and don't even need to have their turrets facing you to still have their shells come your way

• Cool 1

[BUF]
Members
30 posts
3,800 battles

It looks like server lag to me.  Torps were launched earlier but your client wasn't notified until after a delay.  Therefore the torps seem to appear after the bot was dead.

WhitCoatClubber

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
477 posts
17,049 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Watching the video, you clearly see the red sunk ship icon appears from the FIRST torp salvo.  The second wave is still clearly nowhere near the Zao, even though the video shows some HP left on the Zao. 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,556 posts
11,297 battles
4 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Zao dies:

Video form:  

This been a thing for a very long time now. Since i started playing in closed beta.

It'll be really nice if surface ships could keep firing their guns, at least secondaries after their ship's been destroyed.

Members
1,589 posts
34,005 battles

This is the bot equivalent of the Picard maneuver. But you must also realize by now the bots have a weapon system made famously in the movie Firefox.

It's a thought control weapon system. No buttons needed. You just have to think in Russian.

The Zao probably was thinking: "Ah, I see you have torped me, but I have launched mine already, HUZZAH!"

As for that Musashi incident, the Musashi can send a pop fly at you but you don't see the trajectory until it hits you. Especially if the background sky is lit up bright.

The old addage to attack with the sun at your back still holds true.

Members
257 posts
520 battles
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

This is the bot equivalent of the Picard maneuver.

Then Old_Baldy_One should be the one doing it.

2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It's a thought control weapon system. No buttons needed. You just have to think in Russian.

No problem for Wargaming then.

[SQUAD]
Members
75 posts
12,176 battles
7 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Zao dies:

Video form:  

Looks like game lag.  What you are seeing happened before the kill but was not shown to you until your computer got the information to render it. 

Members
656 posts

Looks like game lag.  Yeah, you see it all the time playing from Australia.  I am surprised so many people don't understand the concept of latency and netcode by now.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles
7 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Looks like game lag.  Yeah, you see it all the time playing from Australia.  I am surprised so many people don't understand the concept of latency and netcode by now.

My ping was around 30, so this wasn't lag (having played online games for the better part of 25 years and working in IT, I'm familiar with it).  Most likely it was server desync - the ship had already performed the action, but the server had not told my system that yet.  Same reason ships sometimes slide forward after being dead...

• Cool 1

[DRAC0]
[DRAC0]
Members
67 posts
1,152 battles

In the end, the reality is whatever WG says is real and just happened is how it's supposed to be - unless you're in testing.  If it's the production game, it's intended to be that way or you're just making it up.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
4,286 posts
9,292 battles

I figure it is because of communication lag between the player's computer and the server.  By the time the graphics caught up to what the logic and numbers had already crunched, it was a fait-accompli.

Members
656 posts
11 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

My ping was around 30, so this wasn't lag (having played online games for the better part of 25 years and working in IT, I'm familiar with it).  Most likely it was server desync - the ship had already performed the action, but the server had not told my system that yet

LOL, in other words - latency.  De-sync, if you're in IT you should know better.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,363 posts
13,808 battles
1 hour ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

LOL, in other words - latency.  De-sync, if you're in IT you should know better.

Desync is when the server thinks the target is in one spot, but is telling the player that they are in another.  You can see this when you actually register hits on a ship that isn't actually where they are.  if you get a kill this way, the ship will "pop" to the spot the server now registers that they actually are at.

This is different than lag, in which the server is trying to tell you that the target is in another position than what is displayed, but you just aren't getting it.  You won't register weird hits with lag, because the lag would impact both directions of communication.  You also "catch up" when lag hits, usually in a fast forward.  You don't catch up with desync, which is why its a desync.

It's possible that a small lag burst caused the desync I guess, basically putting me a split second behind what was actually happening.  Wouldn't think it would happen with AI bots but....anyways.

For the record, this was more of a "joke" than an actual report of a bug.  I thought it was sort of funny and assumed it was something goofy happening.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

Members
656 posts
26 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Desync is when the server thinks the target is in one spot, but is telling the player that they are in another

Yes and what causes this?  De-sync is just a name people that don't understand networking give to the result of latency and/or dropped packets.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat