You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Is Encouraging A Tactic To Deal With CVs Not Allowed Now?

29 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles

Is it verboten to post about forming a division to hunt and kill the CV? I would just like a clarification on the rules here.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,903 battles

There was a thread about the 899 division video that Yuro posted. Did it get shut down?

Somebody :Smile_trollface: told me about an arranged DD truce at game start during the worst of the rebork; 2 DDs per side went for the enemy CVs without engaging each other. 

• Cool 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles

I'm old enough to remember when Ducky posted a thread with a link to the o7 cv grief div stream that got immediately pulled off the forum.

• Haha 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,677 posts
17,481 battles

Go for it.  As a CV player, I'd love the challenge.

I've also discovered that if you stovepipe your strategy (any strategy, not just a CV hunt), you will usually do worse than playing the best strategy that the game delivers to you at any moment.  That's because the hunt won't necessarily be optimal, and in many games it definitely won't be optimal.  Hence, you are executing a sub-optimal (or even downright counterproductive) strategy before the match even begins.  That's a win for the other team.

A CV hunt is seldom a going in strategy.  It can definitely be an option among the options the game offers you as it goes along.  I've personally whacked many CVs in my game play.  I never start with that strategy.  In the course of battle, it presents itself as the best option at the moment...and off I go.

So...yeah...go for it.  But please do it when I am the CV player on the other team.  I'm happy to pad my win stats.

Edit: Obviously, any strategy needs to avoid Red/Green collusion (i.e., rigging, as Ducky mentions a few posts below).  Red/Green collusion is against the game rules and should not be part of any strategy posted here.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,333 posts
5,233 battles

If I see a DD hunter/killer formation trying to take down my planes I simply turn around and watch you do little to impact the game. My CV's are always on the move from one location to the next. I stick with the team advance to provide quick close air support. 

You're better off with three DM's.

• Boring 1

[--K--]
Members
6,709 posts
14,554 battles
12 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Somebody :Smile_trollface: told me about an arranged DD truce at game start during the worst of the rebork; 2 DDs per side went for the enemy CVs without engaging each other. 

That's rigging and against game rules. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,903 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

That's rigging and against game rules. 

Of course it is, its collusion and forbidden :Smile_trollface:

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles
2 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I've also discovered that if you stovepipe your strategy (any strategy, not just a CV hunt), you will usually do worse than playing the best strategy that the game delivers to you at any moment.  That's because the hunt won't necessarily be optimal, and in many game it definitely won't be optimal.  Hence, you are executing a suboptimal (or even downright counterproductive) strategy before the match even begins.  That's a win for the other team.

A CV hunt is seldom a going in strategy.  It can definitely be an option among the options the game offers you as it goes along.  I've personally whacked many CVs in my game play.  I never start with that strategy.  In the course of battle, it presents itself as the best option at the moment...and off I go.

So...yeah...go for it.  But please do it when I am the CV player on the other team.  I'm happy to pad my win stats.

Some of the o7 guys have recently been forming kidd-kidd-akizuki divs for the specific purpose of hunting down CVs, which they are able to do with incredible speed and success. Ducky posted about it and the mods removed it immediately.

Quite frankly, you would not be able to stop them. It's pretty hilarious.

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

If I see a DD hunter/killer formation trying to take down my planes I simply turn around and watch you do little to impact the game. My CV's are always on the move from one location to the next. I stick with the team advance to provide quick close air support. 

You're better off with three DM's.

They've already proven you wrong. Thoroughly.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,903 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

Some of the o7 guys have recently been forming kidd-kidd-akizuki divs for the specific purpose of hunting down CVs, which they are able to do with incredible speed and success. Ducky posted about it and the mods removed it immediately.

I see, sorry I missed that. 

[OO7]
Members
420 posts
26,204 battles

It's a legitimate strategy and for all those cv player's that say "ha won't work on me" and "they'll just lose and help my winrate", note that the people that came up with the strat have a +90% wr over many battles specifically going for the carrier. Tried it out last night and even in a game where one of my div mates couldn't load in, we won all 3 games very easily, personally bagged the 3 carriers, and even took one out in 5 and a half minutes. 

Edited by eagle_lance
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,677 posts
17,481 battles
4 minutes ago, legozer said:

I accept the challenge.  It's not so much stopping them, but winning.  If they take me out, but my team wins...that's a win for me.

• Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,724 posts
20,903 battles
Just now, eagle_lance said:

It's a legitimate strategy and for all those cv player's that say "ha won't work on me" and "they'll just lose and help my winratw", note that the people that came up with the strat have a +90% wr over many battles specifically going for the carrier. Tried it out last night and even in a game where one of my div mates couldn't load in, we won all 3 games very easily, personally bagged the 3 carriers, and even took one out in 5 and a half minutes. 

When three players combine on a goal, I would think they have a very low failure rate, especially if all are elite players. 

[TARK]
Members
5,620 posts
2,260 battles
4 minutes ago, legozer said:

I bet it was removed because people were encouraging the rigging / colluding behavior aspects...

...the three unicum DD division with an Akizuki is going to wipe the floor with almost any team...CV or not.

There is no shame in being sunk by it. It just go to highlight how OP certain DDs remain.

;)

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,677 posts
17,481 battles

Sorry, duplicate post.  But I'm still one of those who has to have it happen to them to get the message.  Don't doubt ya'll.  Just one of those things where having it happen to you makes it sink in (pun intended).

Also, need some kind of control group.  How many wins would one achieve with that line up just playing straight up?

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I accept the challenge.  It's not so much stopping them, but winning.  If they take me out, but my team wins...that's a win for me.

They have about a 97% WR doing this.

[OO7]
Members
420 posts
26,204 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I bet it was removed because people were encouraging the rigging / colluding behavior aspects...

...the three unicum DD division with an Akizuki is going to wipe the floor with almost any team...CV or not.

There is no shame in being sunk by it. It just go to highlight how OP certain DDs remain.

;)

No one was encouraging any behavior that violated tos and of course akizuki is op. No one denies that 

[SNGNS]
Members
312 posts
5,414 battles

huh, that was locked? mmmh, makes sense.for all that are curious, it was probably locked because there was what some would call "advertising" for telling the enemy hunter dd div (or whatever you want to call it) the location of your cv. which is a breach of the game rules...

[SIM]
Members
4,722 posts
7,770 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

They have about a 97% WR doing this.

For now.

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
16,565 battles

I watched General Dort's stream with him, bfk_ferlyfe and a third DD decimate team after team while taking CV "skins" in every match.  Any CV player not named Gaishu is going to get rekt.  Watch some of the recordings from Dorts twitch, they simplty massacre what ever ships are between the CV and them, then promptly knock off the CV - it's pretty interesting to see how focused they are, and how many steps ahead they think - also the large number of torp hits they get from predictive torps launched based solely on info from the minimap.

[SLDR]
Members
239 posts
9,108 battles

The original thread wasn't getting any flame.  I read the first page.  Then, poof, it disappeared as I clicked on the second page.

Oh well. At least I got to watch the twitch.  It was a beauty to behold.  The Kidds Division just steamrolled any and all opponent that came across its path on the way to the 2 CVs.

5 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I've also discovered that if you stovepipe your strategy (any strategy, not just a CV hunt), you will usually do worse than playing the best strategy that the game delivers to you at any moment.  That's because the hunt won't necessarily be optimal, and in many game it definitely won't be optimal.  Hence, you are executing a suboptimal (or even downright counterproductive) strategy before the match even begins.  That's a win for the other team.

Even though the 3 Kidds banded together to hunt CVs, they were smart and capable enough to manage and deal with all the threats that appeared before they got to the CVs.  So the real problem for WG or CV players is not how dangerous or OP such a division is to a CV.  The real problem is how OP such a division is to the red team.  The only counter is for there to be on the red team a division that can act together.  Otherwise the game is lost just about at the beginning.  That Kidds Division tore through an entire flank.  Killed a Fiji.  Killed a Kidd.  Drove off and then later killed a Kagero.  Killed a Z23.  An Alabama couldn't stop the division, either.  All the while, the Enterprise was sending waves of planes at them.  Without coordination, the red ships were just dead meat.