You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shaggy_PWN

USS Massachusetts IFHE

12 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
1,788 battles

Ok so I've had this ship a few days, absolutely love it. She's a blast to sail. However I've seen/watched reviews saying that IFHE is a must. But what does it really accomplish?

The secondaries have 21mm pen. More than enough against destroyers. IFHE raises that to 26mm. Still not enough for T8 battleship 32mm armor. And afaik most T8 cruiers largely have 27mm armor. So... Unless I'm wrong on those armor values, what's the point of IFHE in the Mass?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,705 posts
23,831 battles

The computer aims secondaries at middle of ship at the height of superstructure just above upper belt.

IFHE allows for more consistent pen damage....

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
16 minutes ago, Shaggy_PWN said:

Ok so I've had this ship a few days, absolutely love it. She's a blast to sail. However I've seen/watched reviews saying that IFHE is a must. But what does it really accomplish?

The secondaries have 21mm pen. More than enough against destroyers. IFHE raises that to 26mm. Still not enough for T8 battleship 32mm armor. And afaik most T8 cruiers largely have 27mm armor. So... Unless I'm wrong on those armor values, what's the point of IFHE in the Mass?

Most likely outdated videos, from before the IFHE change. 

Would not recommend taking the skill.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,077 posts
14,243 battles
1 hour ago, Shaggy_PWN said:

Yes. But if the pen gain from IFHE is still insufficient to penetrate then what's the point? 

Before the IFHE rework, USN secondaries penned 27mm with IFHE - enough to pen t7 and lower BB bow/stern plating (and main deck for some as well) and most high tier cruiser plating (back then most cruiser extremity/main belt/deck plating maxed out at 27mm with the exception of turtlebacks and Moskva/the large cruisers). Secondaries use the same aiming AI as co-op bots - as close to center waterline as they can get. US secondaries are typically accurate enough even without Manual secondaries to hit those areas often enough that IFHE was worth it. 

With the changes, IFHE is now no longer valuable at all for Georgia and Ohio, and Mass only gets a fraction of the benefit it used to (and only when top tier since it still pens t7 and lower cruisers and battleships). In fact, it’s no longer worth taking on really any secondary build anymore. Some of the German BB secondaries still get some benefit from it since it kicks 105mm secondary pen up to 32mm (BB bow/stern) and 127mm secondaries to 38mm (US BB and Alaska/PR decks), but the points are better spent elsewhere now with the fire chance reduction since German secondaries have improved pen anyway. 

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
2 hours ago, Shaggy_PWN said:

To quote LWM

Massachusetts - It's only effective when she's top tier.  Otherwise, the use for this falls off dramatically.  It's no longer really good.

[D-DAY]
Members
6,992 posts
2 hours ago, Shaggy_PWN said:

You may be viewing older videos when the IFHE bonus was 30% and not 25%?

For me the change made the IFHE not worth it on the Mass. It's secondary targeting apparently has good accuracy (better than other BBs) which means the majority of shots will be at the centre of ships. Without IFHE you can still hurt the smaller ships, with IFHE you still can't hurt the bigger ships via penetration with secondaries - but by not picking IFHE you keep your fire chance (which is halved when IFHE is chosen).

My set up on Mass is: PT/PM/AR/BFT/AFT/MFCSA/FP.  I guess adding SI/EM instead of FP/PM could be another option, but as I never used Premium Consumables and they recently made all consumables Premium - I benefitted with an extra heal anyway. :Smile_honoring:

[UN1]
Members
1,387 posts
4,495 battles

IFHE on the Mass allows her secondaries to do more consistent damage against lower tier battleships and light cruisers. Keep in mind though that the Mass's main battery makes very, very quick work against these targets, so the value is mostly superfluous. 

Against everything else, IFHE is just a reduction of your fire chance.

Lastly, my biggest  secondary damage game in the Mass was without IFHE. It was over 100k combined fire and pen. 

[GRETA]
Members
1,433 posts
10,883 battles

Against T6-T8 IFHE is a marked increase in secondary damage, T8 only IFHE benifit is OK, T8-10 IFHE is questionable,

With that said, I run it in my mass but not in my Georgia and Ohio.  It is just that fun to be a big bully when top tier.

[GRETA]
Members
1,433 posts
10,883 battles

Oh and yes, most targets IFHE helps you against you main guns will hurt more however the firing arks on your secondaries are such that they can hit things behind islands your  main battery cannot and they more than make up for it when DD's and cruisers decide to yolo charge and you get overpens with your main battery.

[SCREW]
Members
435 posts
20,765 battles

Wouldn't waste the points to be honest. I play it without ifhe or manual secondaries and it just doesn't disappoint. Use those points for either concealment or survivability.