Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

It is really not the CVs

55 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,254 battles

I have had six games in a row where the enemy team has had four radar ships. Did not think I would say this but high level dd play is no good at this time. I can handle a cv and a radar set or two but not this. Really do not know what they were thinking when the added long range radar to every Russian CA.  Of course their navy was always pretty damn strong historically, so why not?  :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

Members
880 posts
5,968 battles

This is why I switched to the French. If your DD doesn’t rely on concealment then radar isn’t really a concern. Buuuut CVs don’t like them so I went Marceau :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[GOOF]
Members
851 posts
7,055 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s all the fault of the Anti-Submarine Carriers?

Hahahaha yes let's get those in but only if they are Russian and only is they are post ww2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
1 hour ago, handybilly said:

Of course their navy was always pretty damn strong historically, so why not?

Ah yes, the Russian navy, leading the way in naval radar systems, begining in 1955 with the cruiser Molotov, the first Russian Warship to get radar.

From Wikipedia:

"Molotov was refitted in November 1945 to repair the last of her wartime damage. She suffered a fire in the shell handling room for Turret #2 on 5 October 1946 that had to be extinguished by flooding the magazine and handling room at the cost of 22 dead and 20 wounded. The ship served as the test bed for the radars intended for the Chapayev and Sverdlov-class cruisers during the late 1940s. Molotov's postwar modernization began in 1952 and lasted until 28 January 1955.

As part of this modernization Molotov received a radar suite composed of Gyuys for air search, Rif for surface search, Zalp for main-armament gunnery and Yakor' for anti-aircraft gunnery. All of her light anti-aircraft guns were replaced by eleven twin gun water-cooled 37 mm V-11 mounts and her 100 mm guns were reinstalled on fully powered B-34USMA mountings. Her anti-aircraft fire-control system was replaced by a Zenit-26 with SPN-500 stabilized directors. In addition she lost her torpedo tubes, anti-submarine weapons, boat cranes and all remaining aircraft equipment. This cost 200 million rubles, between half and three-quarters the cost of a new Project 68bis Sverdlov-class cruiser."

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,254 battles
1 hour ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

This is why I switched to the French. If your DD doesn’t rely on concealment then radar isn’t really a concern. Buuuut CVs don’t like them so I went Marceau :cap_haloween:

Actually, I play mostly French for the very reason you do. But with so many radar a good enemy team can just hold you at arms length. Two radars working together are just brutal. 

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,797 battles
29 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Ah yes, the Russian navy, leading the way in naval radar systems, begining in 1955 with the cruiser Molotov, the first Russian Warship to get radar.

From Wikipedia:

"Molotov was refitted in November 1945 to repair the last of her wartime damage. She suffered a fire in the shell handling room for Turret #2 on 5 October 1946 that had to be extinguished by flooding the magazine and handling room at the cost of 22 dead and 20 wounded. The ship served as the test bed for the radars intended for the Chapayev and Sverdlov-class cruisers during the late 1940s. Molotov's postwar modernization began in 1952 and lasted until 28 January 1955.

As part of this modernization Molotov received a radar suite composed of Gyuys for air search, Rif for surface search, Zalp for main-armament gunnery and Yakor' for anti-aircraft gunnery. All of her light anti-aircraft guns were replaced by eleven twin gun water-cooled 37 mm V-11 mounts and her 100 mm guns were reinstalled on fully powered B-34USMA mountings. Her anti-aircraft fire-control system was replaced by a Zenit-26 with SPN-500 stabilized directors. In addition she lost her torpedo tubes, anti-submarine weapons, boat cranes and all remaining aircraft equipment. This cost 200 million rubles, between half and three-quarters the cost of a new Project 68bis Sverdlov-class cruiser."

Do you want gulag?  Cuz that's how you get gulag!

• Haha 2

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles

How dare they interrupt your invisibility for 30 inconvenient seconds! If only you could see them coming or knew that they were on the enemy team beforehand.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
4,678 posts
45,486 battles

In a 3  or 4 cap match, if I am red, I would ask: where would DDs likely show up?

The answers from the peanut gallery would be: they usually hang out at the cap, you know, to cap.

CVs and cruisers know this. It's a matter of looking around..

However, if you are a DD, you probably want to get help going in. A CV Buddy can help. They can spot the cruisers that are parked, plop a few torpies to make them dance.

Once spotted, radars are easy prey.

My advice to DD players is to be careful and if you see a potential for a radar tag team, then take another cap. If CVs are present, then stay dark and avoid going to predictable places.

Warships is about Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, and Spock. When you can counter the countering, you are well on your way to a serious headache.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
2 hours ago, CommodoreKang said:

Do you want gulag?  Cuz that's how you get gulag!

Which was apparently easier for the Russians to get than a functional radar set was, LOL!!

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
2,282 posts
7,823 battles
33 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Which was apparently easier for the Russians to get than a functional radar set was, LOL!!

but, but, russian radar, when it works, can see thru islands... stronk.

[BONKS]
Members
411 posts
9,919 battles
2 hours ago, Spud_butt said:

All radar detects through islands.

Members
405 posts
7 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Completely understand. I'm working on the European line myself, looking forward to Halland. My DD game is going to Halland a hand basket. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1
  • Sad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Once spotted, radars are easy prey.

Provided your team is even willing to shoot at them. I had this problem yesterday; I tagged a Smolensk (not a radar cruiser, true, but something which you want dead fast if it's on the other team) and none of my multitudinous heavy allies within range were interested in shooting at it.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
7 hours ago, Spud_butt said:

EVERYBODY'S radar, when it works, can see through islands; RUSSIAN radar, when it works, sees through FANTASY island, where it was made!

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
19,955 battles
  1. Know where the radar ships are or are likely to be.  Don't go there unless you have cover or a quick exit.  This goes for all radar cruisers on the red team.  Know where they are.
  2. If you are asked to cap, require that any radar in the cap area be moved or removed.  If it's not, don't cap and just respond that you will when radar threats are gone.
  3. If you can't cap or don't need to, find another way to be useful.  Spot, harass or sink the red team with gunfire or torps.  This can also include baiting the radar ships into using it while you are only minimally exposed.  Once they use it you have a window to operate.

Radar is not that hard to deal with because it is essentially fixed as far as DDs go.  Radar can catch you only if you allow it to.  It however can zone you out if it's not eliminated or moved and that can prevent you from getting to your objectives.  Even so, you have the means to keep yourself alive in almost all scenarios.

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
800 posts
14,296 battles

I div mates are always screaming at me that there is radar and I'm too close. My general response is "Yeah I know, I ant skeerd." 

• Funny 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,892 posts
2,412 battles
18 hours ago, grorg said:

No it's the CVS

Naw It's radar and hydro but you think it CVs :Smile_hiding: DDs are basically not safe at all from any class either CVs spot you from the air or Cruiser or BBs spot you with hydro or radar :Smile_popcorn:

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
17 hours ago, Umikami said:

From Wikipedia:

What about this part from Wikipedia, as well? 

Molotov was the first Soviet ship to carry radar, a Redut-K air warning system,[6] which she used for the entire war. Soviet-designed Mars-1 gunnery radar systems were added by 1944.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_cruiser_Molotov

[GOOF]
Members
851 posts
7,055 battles
1 hour ago, LastRemnant said:

Naw It's radar and hydro but you think it CVs :Smile_hiding: DDs are basically not safe at all from any class either CVs spot you from the air or Cruiser or BBs spot you with hydro or radar :Smile_popcorn:

So if the radar and hydro ships are gone then the CV will be unable to attack me.

• Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
21 hours ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

Its spotting, DDs have to many counters

Or DDs aren't intended to sit 7 KM away from ships spamming torpedoes and are instead suppose to sit back with the fleet and only get in close to drop torps and then get the hell back out.

If you play a DD like that, neither radar nor a CV really has that much direct impact on you.

Sign in to follow this