Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BossmanSlim

First day back in 4 years

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,383 posts
4,457 battles

After watching some Twitch streams and being bored of the other games I'm currently playing, I decided to stick my toe back in to WoWs after 4 years. I quit originally because the I felt the match maker really punished tiers 5 & 8 ships because they are almost always down 2 tiers due to the +/- 2 tier match making starting at tier 5. As there are more dailies, I feel that this isn't as much of an issue because more rewards are given out as players play the game. Even so, I still consider the match maker to be terrible.

I started playing French BBs with a little bit of Russian BBs at tiers 3 and 4. Overall win rate was 33% (I lost the CV lottery) over 9 battles and I'm generally happy about my individual stats. What I am severally disappointed about is the current stat of CVs, the overabundance of CVs at low tiers and the fact that games quickly queue being filled with bots and player CVs. I had one match that was 6 bots and 2 CVs per team.  Needless to say, I am not enthused to keep playing very much. The German carrier thing will fade hopefully, but there were still a huge number of CVs at tier 4. 

I'll probably stick around long enough to get T6 BBs in the French and Russian lines, but I'm not spending a dime with WG. They have managed to make CVs worse then they were when I left the game 4 years ago. They are less counterable and require less skill to play. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles
4 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

They are less counterable and require less skill to play. 

It's almost as if that's the point. Nobody was playing CVs by high tier due to how overwhelmingly difficult it was, and this was their fix, as the game is balanced around CVs existing. It's most of what made ships like Musashi OP, as they were balanced around having low AA.

And, honestly... it fixed it. Whether people wanted it fixed or not is another story entirely, however. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[WORX]
Members
13,240 posts
20,094 battles
3 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

I quit originally because the I felt the match maker really punished tiers 5 & 8 ships because they are almost always down 2 tiers due to the +/- 2 tier match making starting at tier 5.

If this ^^^ was the reason for your departure, Then I strongly recommend to stay retired...

Also, 4 years ago... MM was not set at +2. If I remember correctly, 4 years ago, tier 4 ships were able to see Yamatos.

Now, do enjoy your stay... However, MM is not the problem, its the fall guy... Power creep,  is what causes people to complain about MM.

People just love WG power creep products..

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
17 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

They have managed to make CVs worse then they were when I left the game 4 years ago. They are less counterable and require less skill to play. 

Highly debatable here.  RTS carriers helmed by unicum players could easily dominate a match almost single-handedly with proper cross drops and deplaning the other CV.

At least now, while more abundant, CVs are a bit less of a dominating force in the right much of the time.

They've just been dumbed down so the masses can get their fix.  I won't lie, the rework got me playing CVs a bit early on.  The RTS thing was never my cup of tea.

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

If this ^^^ was the reason for your departure, Then I strongly recommend to stay retired...

Also, 4 years ago... MM was not set at +2. If I remember correctly, 4 years ago, tier 4 ships were able to see Yamatos.

Now, do enjoy your stay... However, MM is not the problem, its the fall guy... Power creep,  is what causes people to complain about MM.

Nerf power creep plz

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,611 posts
13,182 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Back early in closed Beta, Matchmaker was an interesting thing. I do remember getting tossed into a Tier 10 match while solo in my Kongo, but that didn't go live.

You used to be able to fail platoon a tier 1 into a tier 10 match, and my favorite accidental fail platooning got me tossed into a tier 6 match in my Albany, with hilarious results. ( I was alive at the end of the match with 2 DD kills, one was a kill steal, the other I gunned down fair and square).

[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,586 battles
51 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Why would you recommend that... he's obviously just in the calibration stages & the MM changes we're just what he was looking for & will soon see.

I've passed my 4 years in game & MM has always been +2/-2 since I've been playing... you could still div fail w/a T1 against a Yammy but standard MM was implemented by then...those days you're referring to were before my time.

Nothing he has had issues w/have anything to do w/power creep unless you are specifically referring to the rework being part of the power creep so that's kinda out of left field there.

1 hour ago, BossmanSlim said:

I quit originally because the I felt the match maker really punished tiers 5 & 8 ships because they are almost always down 2 tiers due to the +/- 2 tier match making starting at tier 5. As there are more dailies, I feel that this isn't as much of an issue because more rewards are given out as players play the game. Even so, I still consider the match maker to be terrible.

MM has been changed to not allow anytime to be bottom tier more than 40% of the time (8 out of the last 20 games). But there is a 20 game "calibration" period before that kicks in for each tier (& for each mode...so you can't work off your 20 random battles in co-op).

Again that is for each tier & you will probably be bottom tier in most of not all of those 1st 20 calibration games...but after that it will take only your last 20 battles into consideration & not let you be bottom tier in anymore than 8 of the...so stick with it & your calibration stages will be done before you know it.

require less skill to play. 

I can understand the frustration w/CVs (especially as you jumped in the middle of a CV line drop & everybody is playing them) but how can you know how much skill it does/doesn't require to play them?

BTW...try to see the bottom tiering as a chance to grind some extra XP off of higher tier ships while it lasts :-)

Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
2 hours ago, BossmanSlim said:

After watching some Twitch streams and being bored of the other games I'm currently playing, I decided to stick my toe back in to WoWs after 4 years. I quit originally because the I felt the match maker really punished tiers 5 & 8 ships because they are almost always down 2 tiers due to the +/- 2 tier match making starting at tier 5. As there are more dailies, I feel that this isn't as much of an issue because more rewards are given out as players play the game. Even so, I still consider the match maker to be terrible.

I started playing French BBs with a little bit of Russian BBs at tiers 3 and 4. Overall win rate was 33% (I lost the CV lottery) over 9 battles and I'm generally happy about my individual stats. What I am severally disappointed about is the current stat of CVs, the overabundance of CVs at low tiers and the fact that games quickly queue being filled with bots and player CVs. I had one match that was 6 bots and 2 CVs per team.  Needless to say, I am not enthused to keep playing very much. The German carrier thing will fade hopefully, but there were still a huge number of CVs at tier 4. 

I'll probably stick around long enough to get T6 BBs in the French and Russian lines, but I'm not spending a dime with WG. They have managed to make CVs worse then they were when I left the game 4 years ago. They are less counterable and require less skill to play. 

honestly you won't be missed if you leaved 10 new players come in more money

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
3 hours ago, BossmanSlim said:

Welcome back.  The game has moved on quite a bit whilst you were away.  If you'd like to brush up on some good new player guides, let me know.  

Also, MM has been improved such that, once you have enough battles to 'calibrate' (about 20), you'll see the right mixture of tiers - you wont be playing T10s every single battle in your T8s anymore like you used to.  Patience.  

[TDRB]
Members
5,311 posts
13,743 battles
2 hours ago, BossmanSlim said:

CV's rework has been, since January 31st of 2019,  a extreme hot topic so I will address it 1st.

It doesn't take much to see there is a deep, wide gad in opinions over CV's & there effect on the game in general. Hostile & locked threads concerning the effect of CV's in this game are not uncommon. 

I do agree CV's, as they are today, create a huge imbalance in the game.

At one time MM for tier's 5 & 8 was very bad.

The only thing saving T5 from being as bad as T8 was the T4 & T5 matches. At T8 is was more common to be facing 9 to 11 T10 ships in a battle than to be topped tiered. T7 had a very sweet, sweet spot in MM.

I don't recall the exact patch but since then T7 is no longer a sweet spot and T5 & T8 MM has improved with T8 becoming close to average. The addition of T9 ships for resources from the armory has expanded the number of T9's we see in battle which also easy the pain on T8, more mid tier battles. It wasn't that long ago it was somewhat rare to see a T9 ship in a random.

Good luck in your return. I do hope you enjoy yourself.

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles

the bots in random battles are just to make matchmaking go faster not because cv are pure cancer to play against :)

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this